PDA

View Full Version : charcoal canister

Hyuga
13th October 2005, 07:14 PM
does anyone know what they do? My charcoal canister there is one line connected to a metal line to the fuel tank, and theres another small vacuum line going to the back of the quads (20v s/t), and now I found another hose under the charcol can today, anyone knows where it should go?
I wonder if I should block it as I always smell something when I'm driving. Or may be there is air leak somewhere else.

jnr 13b
13th October 2005, 08:22 PM
yeah i wanna know too, cause i wanna take it out of my car

Hyuga
13th October 2005, 08:32 PM
I wonder if it consume fuel too +.+ as I found I used more fuel after I hooked it up ><

drft86
13th October 2005, 08:51 PM
imm pretty sure its just used to suck fumes from the fuel tank.
As far as rules wise im pretty sure they need to be connected up to pass emission control

crazy86
13th October 2005, 09:43 PM
Yep and Yep

They are there to stop fumes being vented into the atmosphere, which is hy you have to have one by law.

Hyuga
14th October 2005, 01:01 AM
By the way... where should the hose under the charcol can connect to??

Wally
14th October 2005, 07:38 AM
its times like this when you say, shit i need my cat on

mattysshop
14th October 2005, 08:09 AM
yeh..you should have one in your car it's illegal not to http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/rolleyes.gif i have one in my car http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/blink.gif

ae86levint
14th October 2005, 10:11 AM
i believe the fine in qld is a fair wack for not having a cat, best to get one on there.

crazy86
14th October 2005, 10:34 AM
Charcoal canister = Gotta have it
Cat converter = ???? depending on the year model of your engine (you could go off the year of your car to try and confuse any coppers?) I think the cut off for cat's was 1984, so if your 4AGE was built before the cut-off you dont need one. There is no difference in the engines between pre 84 and post 84, cos Toyota was already building them with unleaded in mind.

Im pretty sure that on a car that has had the engine swapped its the date of manufacture of the engine that matters , but when there is no record other than the date of manufacture of your frame I guess you can use that.
(the cops will probably use whichever date suites them best, so if there is any doubt, cet a cat, the fine isn't worth it.

RobertoX
14th October 2005, 12:15 PM
an individual cannot get in trouble for hollowing/removing a cat converter, only a workshop can recieve fines of up to $10,000 (?), but an individual can only recieve a defect notice and a requirement to attend an emissions test.....

this is in South Aust anyway

mattysshop
14th October 2005, 01:34 PM
this is about charcoal canisters isn't it? not cat's..but thanks for the info..my car doesn't actually have a build date stamped on it ANYWHERE but from the setup it has etc etc i tell everyone it's an 86'..

jnr 13b
14th October 2005, 06:23 PM
i was told that is a $4000 fine for not having a cat in NSW.

Sprinter_Seth
14th October 2005, 06:57 PM
an individual is still liable for not having a cat or hollowing it out. the fine for the workshop is only if the cat was removed by them, if an individual did it the individual gets the fine.

also cops are targeting cars not having charcol canisters at the moment, they WILL take your off the road untill one is installed.

Sprinterboy
14th October 2005, 07:13 PM
my charcol canister is mounted out of site,

but the hose you are refering to (bottom one) my one vents to air. nothing conencted, i ask'd a mechanic if this was ok coz i didn't wanna be getting fined for something that wasn't my fault but is my responsablity, He said it was ok.

as long as no fuel fumes and oil for that matter too(ACT) vents to the atmosphere it's all good.

As with the cat, i have one,
In the ACT there is a fines to the business of up to $50,000 and a personal fine up to $25,000 for not fitting/running one in a car that is used for road use