PDA

View Full Version : Drum brakes

v-tec
16th October 2005, 08:01 PM
i had my drum brakes apart the other day because i was replacing the wheel cylinders.

anyway, the cover on the right (rear obviously) was a complete bitch to take off. we eventually got it off, took out the wheel cylinders put back in the newy's... and once i had everthing all back together properly i put the covers back on. The left one went fine, but the right one felt like it was gonna be as much of a pain to put on as it was to take off.

From what ive gathered, the part that pushes out inside the drum assembly is stuck. so its too far out for the cover to go back on

I eventuall got it on, but now the car moves like like its got the hand brake up about half way (not too surprising...).

what really confuses me is why the cover was so hard to take off the first time, as it was acting the same before hand but the car was able to move.
but mainly my question is, had anyone had this problem before? or do you know how to fix it? if i cant figure this out ill probly have to go buy another set of drums from a wreckers to fit the car

also, to add pain to this, the freakin wheel cylinder on the left side squirts out brake fluid whenever i pump the brake pedal.

if anyone can help me with some info it would be greately appreciated, as its about the only thing stopping me from going and registering my car now http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/angry.gif

thanks

- Grant

EVIL 86
16th October 2005, 08:21 PM
okay im new to toyota drums but the 9 inch diffs i used to work on with drums have a little cog inside casing which is the adjuster for the pads u use a flat tip driver to move up or down the cog untill u loosen off the drum maybe this helps maybe it doesnt thought id post up anyways

regards
dave

v-tec
16th October 2005, 08:24 PM
well sounds like you know relitevly what your talking about. Thanks mate, ill have alook what a few people have to say about it and then decide the best course of action from there

cheers

DRFTAE86
16th October 2005, 08:44 PM
I dont know how to explain how to adjust it, but kyoto_esp is on the right track.

As for the wheel cylinder squirting out brake fluid whenever u pump the brake pedal.... do u have the drum brake cover on when u pump the brake? cuz if u dont, the cylinder is just gonna pump all the way out and brake fluid will squirt everywhere. But if you do have it on, maybe the brakes pads aren't reaching the cover and the cylinder is pumping all the way out cuzing it to leak fluid (NOT GOOD).

Goodluck with it anyway, http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

EVIL 86
16th October 2005, 08:57 PM
lol well then if im on right track look ether on back of drum for like a little opening and itll have a wheel with groovesits used to tension the sprigs that 1: hold the outa casing on and two give u the reponse u need outa ur rear break/s just have a look and ull soon find it experement which way loosens and tightens and uve got the cat by the balls http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

regards
dave

crazy86
16th October 2005, 09:13 PM
Yeah, the little cog your talking about, is the handbrake adjuster, and it usually automatically winds on as the shoes wear out. You usually have to wind it back when you put new shoes in otherwise you will find it hard to get the drum back on, and it will seem like the handbrake is always on.

v-tec
16th October 2005, 10:13 PM
ok thanks alot fellas, ill have a look at it tommorow morning

also,
But if you do have it on, maybe the brakes pads aren't reaching the cover and the cylinder is pumping all the way out cuzing it to leak fluid (NOT GOOD).[/b]

this fairly much describes whats happening... covers on, wheels on, all i hear is squirting and then see fluid leak onto my ground

DRFTAE86
16th October 2005, 10:29 PM
My final suggestion......

BRAKES PLUS.

Just let them deal with it. doesn't sound like anything major, just farting around.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

mattysshop
17th October 2005, 08:26 AM
in addition to the above..you most likly have a lip on the inside of the drum..hard to explain without a pic..but take it to a machine shop and get the inside machined..this will also help with the 'bite' of the rear brakes.. get new linings also..

v-tec
17th October 2005, 08:34 AM
yeah, i understand what you said above.

im gonna see what a few of my friends (who know stuff about them as well) have to say about it, and mabye we can work something out.

if not, yea, i guess ill just take it to a brake shop