PDA

View Full Version : optimum engine operating temp

ae86 slide
16th October 2005, 09:45 PM
my enginge rarely reaches 80c, usually sits just above 60c, i read that generally optimum operating temp is between 80c to 100c?
am i doin my engine harm driving hard below 80c?

SPEEDCORE
16th October 2005, 09:52 PM
Can I ask what kind of temp gauge you are running..... and if it is mechanical or electric...

Doesn't sound right!

crazy86
16th October 2005, 09:55 PM
Oil or Water temp?

Monster
16th October 2005, 10:01 PM
I'm guessing you mean water temp... well yes the opt temp is about 80deg 60 sounds awfully low. Are you running an oil cooler? Have you checked your thermostat?

Hyuga
17th October 2005, 12:21 AM
yea my 20v always sits at around a quater on the ae86 dash temp guage, I was wonder why the water temp is so cold, it doesn't even have got an electric fan installed yet, but then last week I drove my car to the city and there was traffic everywhere and my car overheated... I think it is my thermostat but my thermostat is still at the back of the head that seems impossible to remove it. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

ae86 slide
17th October 2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by SPEEDCORE@Oct 16 2005, 08:52 PM
Can I ask what kind of temp gauge you are running..... and if it is mechanical or electric...

Doesn't sound right!
not exactly sure but i think electrical (drops to 0 wen ignition is off), and it is in farenhieght, and yeah thermostate might be a bit of a mission to get to

ae86 slide
17th October 2005, 01:27 PM
Oil or Water temp?[/b]
water

Are you running an oil cooler?[/b]
no

crazy86
17th October 2005, 02:37 PM
The thermostat should be in the top outlet of the water pump.

ITs running at 60 Farenhiet? that equals 15 degrees Celcius, which is kinda cold.
It should be running at about 80 deg C, which equals 175 deg F

Edit:

Sorry dude, missed that. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

ae86 slide
17th October 2005, 05:58 PM
no i said 60 c in the first quote, already converted it. so running at about 140f

hao.
17th October 2005, 06:06 PM
ITs running at 60 Farenhiet? that equals 15 degrees Celcius, which is kinda cold.
It should be running at about 80 deg C, which equals 175 deg F[/b]

Sprinterboy
17th October 2005, 06:41 PM
mine was running cold for a while, checked the thermostat...it was non-existant! chucked one in and its all good http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

crazy86
17th October 2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by AE86DriftSlUt@Oct 17 2005, 05:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

read the post first ya tool he said 60c, stop trying to display your false intelligence.
and maybe try posting some usefull information [/b][/quote]
And how many usefull posts have you posted, Mr Im a cool Dori slut. You dont know me from shit, so STFU.

ae86 slide
17th October 2005, 08:25 PM
mine was running cold for a while, checked the thermostat...it was non-existant! chucked one in and its all good[/b]
yeah ill check it out,
thanks

hao.
17th October 2005, 08:32 PM
[quote] [quote]ITs running at 60 Farenhiet? that equals 15 degrees Celcius, which is kinda cold.

sic86
17th October 2005, 08:40 PM
Do you use red coolant or green coolant?
What percentage mixture do you run?

Cheers

hao.
17th October 2005, 08:52 PM
(CRAZY86 @ Oct 17 2005, 01:20 AM)
QUOTEÂÂÂ#
It should be running at about 80 deg C, which equals 175 deg FÂÂÂ#

read the post first ya tool he said 60c, stop trying to display your false intelligence.
and maybe try posting some usefull informationÂÂÂ#

And how many usefull posts have you posted, Mr Im a cool Dori slut. You dont know me from shit, so STFU.[/b]

ae86 slide
17th October 2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Alan@Oct 17 2005, 07:40 PM
Do you use red coolant or green coolant?
What percentage mixture do you run?

Cheers
green coolant, prob bout 40% coolant, prob a bit much hey?

sic86
17th October 2005, 09:20 PM
Toyota actually recommend to use a red coolant in all Toyota vehicles. 40% isn't that much You should use between 33% - 60%

Cheers

Sprinterboy
17th October 2005, 10:16 PM
Who sells red coolant?

Monster
19th October 2005, 09:04 AM
Thread modified by me.
Try to keep calm peeps!

Nulon do red coolant. It is good

***CAUTION***

* You cannot use red coolant with copper core radiators

* If you do change from red to green, make sure you flush every drop of the old stuff out, if they mix, it can solidify and or rust out bits and peices very very quickly.

SPEEDCORE
19th October 2005, 01:04 PM
Can I ask why? Sounds like a load of shit to me since it is a dye afterall.

b1gb3n
19th October 2005, 01:58 PM
my water temp is all over the place. optimum temp in the city around 80-90+.

70 on freeway during day

55-60 on freeway at night.

i have oil cooler. dont think its thermostat, dont see/hear fan running unless temp is high.

quite a few people seem to have this prob on 20v in 86. i think maybe engine will be warmer with splash guards on. the guards at front below radiator/engine. my old car seemed to run cooler without it.

also im thinking of using hotter spark plugs to see how it goes

Monster
19th October 2005, 02:12 PM
Can I ask why? Sounds like a load of shit to me since it is a dye afterall.[/b]

What the hell is it with people at the moment???
Can you ask why What? Why you shouldn't use it with copper/brass radiators? Because the chemical make up of it is different to the green stuff.
Why you shouldn't mix them? See above

Nulon Australia (http://www.nulon.com.au/)

Check out the cooling section

You know SPEEDCORE, not everyone talks shit on here, most people do know what they are talking about http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/angry.gif
------------------------------------------------------------

b1gb3n: try putting masking tape over the oil cooler when driving at night, engine temp levels should be kept up in the 75-95 deg mark

SPEEDCORE
19th October 2005, 02:34 PM
Nice to see you edit your post to have a dig at me specifically.

Did I personally say you talked shit? Stop assuming.. its no good for your stress levels.

My post was in reference to that actual colouring dyes posing no such properties that would interact.... and to use your words "rust bits out".

I think you forgot that I actually contributed to this thread in the early stages as opposed to slagging people off like AE86DriftSlUt did.

ToySprinta
21st October 2005, 10:56 AM
Check out the latest Street Machine, they got an interesting article on coolant additives.
They reckon that, unless you're car is sitting for a weekend at perisher, that antifreeze is useless in Australia.
The boiling point is acutually controlled by the pressure in the cooling system.
The main constituant of anti-freeze, glycol, actually doesn't absorb and dissapate heat as well as water, as well as being more viscous.

So, i'm going to give just a rust inhibitor additive a go, like water wetter or something.

mosqiton
31st October 2005, 11:40 PM
Thats actuall very true ToySprinta, I use probably about 10% coolant just to get some colour for the overflow bottle. Especially when you run Aluminium radiators the coolant actually corrodes alloy. Been doing it for years with no probs. As an answer to the orignal post 80-100 degrees celcius is "optimal" but there is no adverse affect running slightly lower such as 70 degrees. It also depends on where you fit your temp sensor as well. The exit pipe on the top hose is uaually the hottest place as thats where the coolant comes out of the engine. There is a few degrees difference from the back of the head and the top hose.