PDA

View Full Version : KONI coil over sleeve kits

DRiiFT_King
25th October 2005, 10:09 PM
hey,
i heard about these sleeve kits that koni make for ae86's there like $110 for each corner, and they go over you normal gas shocks and you use springs from a coil over set, and you've got you self some decent coil-overs, has any one done this here? what did it end up costing you? are they any good?
cheers

EVIL 86
25th October 2005, 10:19 PM
damd i was thinken about posten the exact same thing tonight also in one of the recent driftbattle mags there was an add for same style thing can some one explain this concept what needs to be done ? and all other info as it seems pretty good deal

thanks
dave

DRiiFT_King
25th October 2005, 10:23 PM
i get the inpression that you just find some nice sport gas shocks, the sleeve kit and springs, then it should just fit in, hopefully, mix and match

RobertoX
25th October 2005, 10:44 PM
Not too sure about the Koni ones exactly but the sleeve kits go on the outside of your struts, you cut off the spring perch, chop the strut down to suit the length of your chosen insert, weld it back together and the sleve goes over the outside of the strut. The sleeve will sit on the weld that you have made.... or be welded to the strut, depends on which way you choose to do it. The sleeves usually fit a 65mm ID spring for sprinter struts.

Then you will need a spring hat to fit the new springs and you are all set to go... It may be a good time to select a strut that sports a larger stub axle, this will give you an oppurtunity to upgrade your brakes.

This is for macpherson struts, there is also the sort of arrangement that you describe available for conventional spring and shock arrangement (as in the rear end of the sprinter), where the seperately mounted spring is relocated to the shock body to create a coilover arrangement. this basically has a spring perch on the top half of the shock and a threaded perch on the bottom half. I've only ever seen this done on a sprinter once before and unfortunately I didnt get too close a look at the details. I think the raceflo car has also had this done, but not too sure.

hope this helps

DRiiFT_King
25th October 2005, 11:05 PM
yeah, thanks it starting to get clearer, any other info would help

RobertoX
26th October 2005, 10:08 AM
http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pa...0Conversion.htm (http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/Short%20Stroke%20Conversion.htm)

this might help

RobertoX
26th October 2005, 11:31 AM
hahaha, i was waiting for this topic!

it is not just the adjustment in coilovers that makes them good. It is the fact the spring perch and part of the strut must be cut off to run the car lower while maintaining captivity of the spring. Pretty much most ae86 coilovers are set once and forget in terms of height. stupid stub axle! if you look at some late model silvia coilovers a lot of them are "body" adjustable meaning the body is adjusted not the springs preload platform...you see?

If you weld these on to your stock height strut then your car will be a) high, or the spring will be grossly uncaptive!

so basically you need to pay someone (who knows what they are doing) to cut down your strut to the correct length, and then select a shorter and firmer insert. and then get a spring to suit.

Alternatively i could make some coilovers for you for $770 a pair, with all the running around and guess work taken out of it...

having said that...we use these coilover sleeves in our coilovers.

Good Luck

ae86 slide
26th October 2005, 10:07 PM
$770, is that including the inserts and springs. all done ready to go?

DRiiFT_King
27th October 2005, 10:38 AM
do use the standard shocks? what spring rates can you do? do you have any photos of ones you've made up?

Wally
27th October 2005, 10:47 AM
Sorry for the Offtopic post, but DRiiFT_King where did you get the picutre of the engine from in your sig?

RobertoX
27th October 2005, 11:51 AM
for starters...coilover pics and thread can be found here

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/in...topic=915&st=60 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=915&st=60)

ae86 slide: it includes, new AJPS springs, KYB shocks and Koni sleeve kit. And obviously the labour that goes into them. They are ready to put into a car then (unless you take brakes off to send them). Turn around time is about 4 weeks.

Dr!!ft K!ng: Pics are in thread, as we make the suspension 'short stroke' the standard shocks are far too long (and soft) to be used with much higher rate springs. We use Kyb short stroke heavy duty on the $770 dollar ones, up to $1000 for Kyb AGX 4 way damper adjustables. Spring rates can be had between 1kg/mm and 20kg/mm. Most guys go with between 6kg/mm and 8kg/mm. I am using 8kg/mm in my track only 86. We can also do rear suspension set ups...

Pm me guys

Gilly
27th October 2005, 12:46 PM
check out the latest zoom magazine with the 2 vl's on the cover. they do a coil over conversion on some stock sprinter struts. looks like a bit of mucking around but a good result!!

blackers
28th October 2005, 12:05 PM
I bought this coilover kit from Wilkinson suspension here in Perth. Came as a 60mm dia spring with whatever poundage springs you wanted and cost me $360. Also comes with top retainer, I worked out roughly how I wanted the car to sit and then welded the sleeve to the strut. There is about 150mm of threaded section so I can wind it up or down to suit the height I wanted although at the top of the thread it would put the spring under a small amount of compression. I run a koni insert from a rav 4 in the strut itself and the strut legs are off an XT130 Corona. All up cost including coilovers, XT130 struts and koni inserts was under $1000

coFF33
28th October 2005, 02:46 PM
guys just wanna check, issi't worth while to mod the original struts from and and AA63 to coilovers or issit better to look for a pair of ae86 struts and mod it to coilovers? Cause I'm not sure whether it will be able to fit RCA from an AE86 cause the last time I check the 2 bolts at the bottom doesn't align properly cause the aa63 strut is bigger and the stub axle is bigger as well as the disc. Any one can confirm?

RobertoX
28th October 2005, 04:18 PM
use ae86 strut, the main reason is lower unsprung weight, plus u can fit power steering arms and rca

coFF33
28th October 2005, 04:54 PM
but mine is a carina with 4age, thinking of usin the ae86 struts more worthwhile cause more aftermarket parts can be used. rather than modifying the carina struts to fit.

blackers
29th October 2005, 03:08 PM
Use the XT130 Corona strut leg, it comes with the bigger stub axle and the bolt spacing is the same as AE86. The M/A/RA63 strut leg has a different bottom bolt spacing but you can use the vented disc/caliper/hub setup from it on the XT strut leg. The weight difference is less than 500g per strut when compared with the AE86 strut leg, it's the bigger/stronger hub and brake combo that is heavier. If you use the XT strut you can also update to MS65 crown front hubs which are 5 stud at a later date should you decide to.

Cheers
Blackers

RobertoX
29th October 2005, 09:05 PM
just use ae86 struts...

[MET]
30th October 2005, 02:58 PM
If you are not planning a major brake upgrade in future eg anything larger than JDM calipers etc. i would use AE86 strut,

BUT

as posted i would NOT use the AE86 strut/stub if you are looking to upgrade to a large set of brakes in the future like a 4pot hilux caliper and large ventre pug discs as the AE86 stub axle isnt really strong enough to support the large disc/caliper, pretty sure the XT strut will not affect the ability to use rca or power steering arms as the bottom is virtually the same correct?

RobertoX
31st October 2005, 04:19 AM
Same with the RA40 strut, it will fit the ae86 steering arm ( I had them with ae86 RCAs and it fitted fine) it will give you the larger stub axle. Also a bonus was that the 7" +26 offset rims that I had lying around would now fit these struts (as the hub sits out further than the spoonta one http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif -these would previously rub on my struts with 205s).

They also had bigger brakes (MA61) that would never fade....