PDA

View Full Version : S13 suspension

djscheppy
1st November 2005, 04:04 PM
is it true you can put S13 silva suspension into a sprinter??

if so how or if not what can you put in it??

cheers jon

chapl
1st November 2005, 04:36 PM
yeh with a few modifications you can.

pm joel86 he has s13 suspension in his hachi..

dori_86
1st November 2005, 04:46 PM
bsically u get a s13 suspension, coilovers, brakes etc. add a 86 camber top to it make a custom lower control arm as sprinter ones don fit s13 ones. so people weld a s13 lca and ae86 lca together to over come this problem

there an actual full explaination on toyomods in FAQ

DRFT - 86
1st November 2005, 05:21 PM
Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86 Tue, 05 April 2005 20:49

Ok, This has just been done to CRAB 86's car and i thought i would help out by writing and article. Mainly to stop people PM'ing me with so many questions.

Here is how you convert to S13 coilover setup.

you need the following items

-S13 SR20 Hub with disk and caliper
-Coilovers to suit s13, can be anything
-AE86 Camber tops
-Lower control arm to suit, cant use sigma as balljints are different, we modified one.
-RA40 Tie Rods

Your first step is to sort out lower control arms. Steve from Abec cut and shut some ae86/s13 arms together to make a single arm with the S13 ball joint, S13 arms are much longer then sigma and you will find the massive track/camber is excessive for most of your cars. There are two ways of doing this. you do what i mentioned and cut and shut one (legalities are questionable) or you can cut the end off an S13 arm and then weld plates in there to make a box section, then weld a nut behind the plate, rosejoint it with another nut on the front of the plate for adjustability. (this set up is also not legal)

Struts

Lower Control arms

Now once you have a LCA sorted out you need to redrill two holes in the control arm for the castor rod to mount to. The sway bar will go into one of the existing holes for the s13 castor rod so you do not need to redrill for this.

this pic shows the redrilled holes.

Now, once you have done this, bolt it into the cross member as you normally would. then grab your coilovers and fit ae86 camber tops to them. like so.

Once that is done, you need to remove the stock ae86 tie rods by undoing the 14mm nut on the clamp, then place a 14mm spanner on the rack end while turning the tie rod anti clockwise, some cars may find this very tight, in which case use another ring spanner on the ball joint to act as a lever.

once it is off, you can then put tjhe RA40 ones on. I reccommend getting brand new ones as the ball joints on items scourced from wreakers are just about stuffed.

Now, you are ready to bolt the Hub onto the control arm. Place the hub onto the LCA ball joint and then do it up, put the tie rod ball joint into the S13 hub steering arm and then do both up tight. Use cotter pins also.

Once you have done this you can then bolt the Coilover into the car, Bolt the camber tops into the strut tower first, then bolt the two mounting bolts to the hub, i suggest grabbing a decent sized breaker bar as this should both be very tight. You will notice that when they are loose there is some freeplay in the top bolt. pushing it back and forth will effect camber as such. So to make it easier to adjust and make equal on both sides. Push the coilover all the way back and then do up tight.

here is a pic of the brakes and thw two bolts in question.

ok so now everything is bolted in, make sure that the sway bar bolts into the suitable hole, and that everything is done up tight.

All that is left to do is brake lines. This is the easy part as you can use S13 lines provided you undo them from up the top of the wheel arch.

Bleed the brakes get a wheel alignment and away you go.

Why do this conversion?

-Bigger brakes
-larger range of coilovers available for s13
-stronger wheel bearings
-lots of lock available
-wider track
-ability to further set up the car to increase roadholding and handling.

thats all folks

Simon-AE86

DRFT - 86
1st November 2005, 05:22 PM
too easy......... pics are missing obviously though

djscheppy
1st November 2005, 08:16 PM
thanks guys

.wolfwood
2nd November 2005, 01:29 AM
crap if i didnt jsut buy all the parts i need to make coilovers for my 86 then i might give this a go. well at least get all the parts and pay someone to do it lol.

hmm bummer

dori_86
2nd November 2005, 04:24 PM
does any1 know how hard it would be to use MR2 (SW20) coilovers in a sprinter instead? bcos from memory didnt josh's sprinter use mr2 suspension? any1?

JDMJNKY
3rd November 2005, 08:47 PM
me crab and joel all have s13 sus made by the a-spec master. reliable steering, sr20 brakes, bigger springs, bigger shocks and the best part huuuuge angle no comparison to ae86 coilover angle.

.wolfwood
5th November 2005, 03:16 PM
and how much did all that cost?

i would like to do this and jsut sell waht i recently bought

JDMJNKY
5th November 2005, 08:29 PM
hit steve form a-spec performance heel hook u up with a price and info all i can say is do iiiiiiit

crazy86
5th November 2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by dori_86@Nov 2 2005, 03:24 PM
does any1 know how hard it would be to use MR2 (SW20) coilovers in a sprinter instead? bcos from memory didnt josh's sprinter use mr2 suspension? any1?
Josh's sprinter uses MR2 struts with a cusco coilover kit to suit. Basically the same as an 86 strut, but i think the stub axle is bigger/stronger??????

This is just as easy/hard as making a set of coilovers from stock 86 struts, and it does not have any of the advantages that the s13 setup has. I think the only reason Josh used MR2 struts is because he used to own an MR2, so had the bits around.

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong on any of this http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

fullmetal
6th November 2005, 08:15 PM
One thing that I've wondered about doing the s13 coilover swap is does it change your offset, and are you stuck with 15" rims at the front to clear the brakes? Not saying 15" rims are bad, as I run 14" rims it's something else I might have to buy at the same time.

DRFT - 86
6th November 2005, 08:18 PM
yeh I would like to know what the off-set changes to after this conversion...?

JDMJNKY
7th November 2005, 07:28 PM
i think ca18 brakes are able to fit 14in rims and the offset is exactly the same i just got some nissan wheels which clear the struts but sit way too far in the guards. Have tried 15x7 0 ofsett perfect fit. If you need to know anything or wan any info on sprinters or parts hit steve from a-spec up he knows alll! he built the crabmasters car. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

DRFT - 86
7th November 2005, 07:32 PM
damn, I was hoping it would bring the off-set out a bit..... all good but..

cheers

JDMJNKY
7th November 2005, 07:47 PM
wheel spacers 20mm under 150 buks instant ofsett! thats how i doing it on front. (sigma wheel studs 10mm longer than sprinter and 10mm spacers on rear)