PDA

View Full Version : Speedo

FilthinRich
17th November 2005, 01:45 AM
Hey guys,

My speedo recently played up and it isn't showing anything, its just sitting on 0km so its pretty much saying im not moving.

I just replaced my brake pads and thought that might have something to do with it as my speedo was fine before I replaced them. Could you guys help me out with my problem i'm sure its nothing but I wouldn't know the first thing to do.

Cheers

crazy86
17th November 2005, 10:06 AM
Probably broken speedo cable, or it could be a faulty instrument

crazy86
17th November 2005, 10:07 AM
Damn double posts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

FilthinRich
17th November 2005, 03:32 PM
Whats involved in repairing the the speedo cable?

Sprinterboy
17th November 2005, 04:09 PM
Defanatly nothing to do with your pad change, I also have to change the cable, as i broke the feed end that goes into the cluster when i took my dash out to replace it. Stupib me trying to rush things!!!!!

OK, I was going to change to electronic but I'm gonna leave that till a bit later on, the cable runs in tube that goes all the way down to the box and connects to the box towards the rear end of the car and looks like a hose. If you look under the car you will get what i mean. I'm not completely sure on how to do the change but this will give you an idea on what to play with, If your up to it take out the dash cluster and have a play too, might fix it.

DRFT - 86
17th November 2005, 04:15 PM
the cable sits inside a steel tube kinda man......... it unscrews in sections.... I had to change mine also........ I hope that helps...

NickAE86
17th November 2005, 05:24 PM
if its broken and you still have all the parts you can get it fixed. If your in bris Otto Automotive Instruments @ Rocklea can make a new one using parts of your old one. I just sourced another cable...jdm & adm are compatable.

Most common part that breaks is at the gearbox end. Get under the car and you'll see a cable running down the firewall and into the gearbox..this is your speedo cable & its simply screwed in place. Use multigrips to undo it if you find it tough. When you pull it out you should have a little metal dongle type thing sticking out from the end of the cable. If you dont then try to dig it out of the g/box as you'll need it to get another one made up.

If the problem isnt there then its in the cluster. Have fun taking your dash apart...but seriously, it doesnt take long.

When you get the new cable make sure you feed it from the dash down to the pedals then through the firewall. Being a mechanical type cable put a bit of grease on the dongle thing at the g/box end to stop it from seizing up