PDA

View Full Version : flared guards

AE86_DRIFTER
17th November 2005, 10:26 AM
hey all... this is my very first post after studying this pages for a few days now.... i dont own a AE86 yet but i'm searching for the right one to come along... at the moment i have a CA pulsar but anyway to the point of this post...

i was wondering how you guys flare your guards by hand? do u just bash it then sand and paint it?

any help would be great thanx guys

cheers ryan

Julz01
17th November 2005, 10:32 AM
You can either buy a guard roller, thier about $500 for one.

Or get it done buy someone else for about $80 a corner.

slide86
17th November 2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Julz01@Nov 17 2005, 09:32 AM
You can either buy a guard roller, thier about $500 for one.

Or get it done buy someone else for about $80 a corner.
thats only rolling them
not flaring them.
i am yet to flare mine so id also like to hear how it is done properly

DRFT - 86
17th November 2005, 11:23 AM
yeh the process involved would be handy to know.. as its possibly on the cards for me...

Peripheral
17th November 2005, 11:42 AM
Mine will be off the road in a few weeks. I'll be looking into this as well.
If anyone has the "know how" or a possible link to it I think everyone would have a quick look at it.

Cheers
Josh

AE86_DRIFTER
17th November 2005, 11:59 AM
hey seems i choose a good topic everyone is wanting to do this...

i think it dosent just serve the purpose of keeping your wheels from hitting the guards with those negitive offset rims but also gives a nice phat stance....

surfingisfun
17th November 2005, 12:06 PM
i used a hammer and mine look sweet!

slide86
17th November 2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by surfingisfun@Nov 17 2005, 11:06 AM
tell us ur procedure lol

AE86_DRIFTER
17th November 2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by surfingisfun@Nov 17 2005, 11:06 AM
yes yes more more do tell!!! i'm goin to practise on some guards i have in the garage that are F@*&@D anyways... should be quite fun!!! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

BouNCE-86
17th November 2005, 01:26 PM
Isnt the normal DIY way to use a Base - Ball bat?

My friend stepped up from 13x 6s to 16 x 7s on his FWD Rolla, and we just used a METAL baseball bat to roll them.

You have to be careful though, so that you dont crack the paint on the outside of the guard or even warp it.

But just jam it up under the guard, lift carefully and roll the bat around - over the tyre........

It allows the guard to flex out, so that they dont bump on the edge of the tyres and also to look a bit fatter.... But if you want them "FLARED" then i would go see a professional of just buy a set of flares!

Thanks..... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

AE86_DRIFTER
17th November 2005, 02:19 PM
hey i think the baseball bat is just for rolling the gaurds...

i've read about a few people doing the flareing them selves but they dont say how they do it...

i dont really want to use mould cause the gaurd is still in there... unless you chop it out... hmmm

ae86levint
17th November 2005, 02:31 PM
i've just done mine with a hammer and dolly, paint will be finished in a couple of weeks i hope http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

mattysshop
17th November 2005, 02:39 PM
seious? i went down to old mate CAMERON'S BODY WORKS, and he rolled and flared mine out as much as he could for about $40 a gaurd..just depends on how much work is needed.. go speak to him in coopers plains, boundary rd for those people in brisbane.. he does all the top drift cars in QLD like mine http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif middys, darren's, his own nathan (JDM86)..

AE86_DRIFTER
17th November 2005, 04:01 PM
so there isnt really much involved is there?... i gave it a go today on a spare guard i have... it has about an extra 40mm but its all bumpy in the mid section of the flare.... abit more beatin with a ballpein and some bog i was thinkin would do the trick...

just have to remember BOG is your friend

ae86levint
17th November 2005, 04:08 PM
yeh i should of said totally reshaped i guess i didn't keep the crease around the arch went for abit more clearance. prolly end up looking alot like nightdevils gaurds.

AE86_DRIFTER
17th November 2005, 04:17 PM
heres a pic of what i would like my gaurds to look like.... flared

DRFTAE86
17th November 2005, 05:05 PM
This is the only pic where u can kinda see my guard on my gf comp.

Just grinded the bit on the inside of the lip off and hammerd out the guard with a hammer.

AE86_DRIFTER
17th November 2005, 05:16 PM
so you grinded the part people normally get rolled? then knocked the flat part out with a hammer? and it gave you the flared guard look?

mumblezzz
17th November 2005, 06:08 PM
Dont cut the inner lip off, its makes the edge weak and prone to bending. I folded my second set and they looked much better and were heaps stronger.

For the fronts I just took them off then hammered them flat on a fence post. Bogged and painted. Look sick.

The rears I just belted them with a mini sledge. Again bogged over and painted.

This is the first pic I found. The rest of the car is bent but the guards are hot. I would only bother if you've got wheels to fit the new guards. Otherwise just roll them.

http://www.onthenet.com.au/~pauls/banzai/hayashi.jpg

slide86
17th November 2005, 07:06 PM
i found a pic i took of ur front guards

nice parking, its only a datsun anyway lol

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9900/picture025copy3yj.jpg

DRFT - 86
17th November 2005, 07:50 PM
I like the look of those gaurds D1.... lookin tempting to have a bash before it gets painted......... gota get the rust cut n welded yet tho..

mumblezzz
17th November 2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by D1_Spec@Nov 21 2005, 12:06 PM
i found a pic i took of ur front guards

nice parking, its only a datsun anyway lol

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9900/picture025copy3yj.jpg
Yeah thats a good pic. It shows how ripply and bent they got from abuse.

On a side note. I took down my second CA18 driving that silvia later in the day.

JDMJNKY
17th November 2005, 09:07 PM
hey guys funny this post rocked up im atm this week/weekend flaring some guards 25mm wider moulding them, and making fiberglass guards, tell you gow they go!? once i make my guards ill think aobut making more to sell. cheep aswell.(by the way im not a dreamer im a panelbeater)

ae86 slide
17th November 2005, 09:34 PM
id be interested in some fibre glass guards,

AE86_DRIFTER
18th November 2005, 10:14 AM
sounds nice... cant wait to see the fin product!

mumblezzz
18th November 2005, 06:48 PM
Ken Does flared fibreglass guards already and I think that dude with wai sans old hachi made a few as well.

DRFTAE86
18th November 2005, 07:33 PM
FRP guards are nice and all, but if ur a bit of a track drifter.... keep the metal guards and flare them, as u most likly will end up breaking ur FRP guard against a wall or another car.

JDMJNKY
18th November 2005, 08:13 PM
i am making them for my track/drift car never got close to hitting the wall or hitting anyone else yet??

dori_86
19th November 2005, 01:34 AM
would a workshop be able to do what D1 did without bog, just metal?

anyways i thought i might also add. one of my drift tegoku (drift paradise) DVD's they rolled the guards of a 200sx. the belted the fronts with a wierd lookin hammer thing (looked like it had plastic ends?!?) and they rolled the rears with a metal pole by shoving it in the guard near the front of the car on an angle, then got the driver to drive slowly forward to get the effect. (an touched up with the wierd hammer again. also i think from memory they were also using a heat gun, but not 100% sure tho. it was a bit drastic but looked good in the end

mumblezzz
19th November 2005, 10:33 AM
Its pretty easy to do a light flare with just a peice of pipe. I did this in about 10 minutes with a mini sledge hammer and a peice of pipe.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/80841.jpg

Just start by beating the inner lip flat, then stick the pipe in and lever it out. Just go slowly bit by bit to get it as even as possible. You can only go so far before the metal will warp a little bit. In the pic its a about an inch over the stock guards. If you're an anal autosalon type dont bother cause up close it will look shit but if you wanna run hot rims with the right offset, flare away.

Hyuga
19th November 2005, 01:18 PM
I just read and tried but my front guard the flat part on top of the arch tends to bend and shit itself before the lip flare if you know what I mean.

DRiiFT_King
19th November 2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by orangechargd86@Nov 17 2005, 08:07 PM
hey guys funny this post rocked up im atm this week/weekend flaring some guards 25mm wider moulding them, and making fiberglass guards, tell you gow they go!? once i make my guards ill think aobut making more to sell. cheep aswell.(by the way im not a dreamer im a panelbeater)
now that you've said, you have to do it...

im interested in some, i want to put 50mm spacers with my stock rims, look phat

JDMJNKY
19th November 2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by DRiiFT_King+Nov 19 2005, 12:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-orangechargd86@Nov 17 2005, 08:07 PM
now that you've said, you have to do it...

im interested in some, i want to put 50mm spacers with my stock rims, look phat [/b]
i am working flat out on them this weekend had to stop now cos drift practice is on saweeeeeeet. if youre at the full lock event in december ill be there with them on my car!