PDA

View Full Version : Removing front springs

doridori
7th March 2009, 11:53 AM
Is there a way to remove front springs without using a rattle gun for the top of the suspension tower?

i've only ever done it with a rattler.... Now i dont have one and need to take them out!

Cheers

bigm
7th March 2009, 12:03 PM
use spring compressors to take the pressure off the tophat then might be a bit easier,
if not
find a compressor

Dish
7th March 2009, 12:09 PM
Spring compressors are a must, fuck that shit flying out.

And if you don't have a rattle gun on the top hat, you're probably going to have to put multi-grips or vice grips on the shock shaft to try and stop it spinning. I've only ever done them with a rattle gun aswell.

adam
7th March 2009, 12:20 PM
Reinstall strut back into the car, put wheels back on and take it off jacks. Open your bonnet to get access to the shock nut, undo it. Take out struts, everything should just fall out..

As you jack the car up, the springs will push the struts down so the spring won't hit your face or anything like that.

doridori
7th March 2009, 01:09 PM
^that's awesome thanks guys!

marvis
7th March 2009, 06:19 PM
Your car isn't low enough if you have front springs (not coilovers) and they are compressed :P

What adam said is a good way to go about it.

doridori
7th March 2009, 07:02 PM
Tried the Adam method but the struts are still spinning, any way to cure this ?

Cerby86
7th March 2009, 07:15 PM
hammer!

marvis
7th March 2009, 07:43 PM
Hold the spring onto the perch with multi grips, this is what I always do.

But the struts are usually out of the car.

doridori
7th March 2009, 09:12 PM
Ok round 2

Nikkojoe
8th March 2009, 01:27 PM
I used some of that below zero freeze stuff in a can. It seemed to work first shot (for once) out of the car with some minor bracing to stop things swinging around.