PDA

View Full Version : LSD shimming

DRiiFT_King
25th November 2005, 06:16 PM
hey,
i got me a price on getting my Kaaz fitted in to my t-series housing (thanks MET) it was betwwen $200- $300 for everything done, shimmed, getting rid of backlash, dipping the housing and re-spraying it , he also said under $200 if i remove the drums and oil and little bits myself, just wondering if anyone has paid to get this done and if they think its a resonable price! i think the place is called transdiff or something
cheers

CAE86
25th November 2005, 07:41 PM
I got an LSD from a TA22 t series housing put into a T18 housing, and it cost me $100 odd. If you take them just the centre, it should be cheaper as they won't have to charge for removing and reinstalling the centre into the rear end.

ae86 slide
27th November 2005, 11:52 AM
thats a good price, i paid around $150 just to remove my open center and install a TRD LSD,

mattysshop
28th November 2005, 07:57 AM
the actually fitting i wouldn't get him to do..it is basic as..but the setiing up of the limo like the backlash..requries a few tools like a dial gauge etc etc..or some ink..but any way..but seriously..

to remove the diff..
24mm spanner to undo the drain plug and filler plug..(don't round these off!)
remove wheels..remove drums..
there are 2 holes in the axle flange plate (ha ha flange)
those are access holes for the 4 x 14mm nuts for the retainer plate..
undo all of them..the axle is ready to pull out..you might need to put the drum on backwards, so you can have a decent thing to pull on..
same for the other side..
undo the 4 x 12mm bolts at the tail shaft to pinion plate at the front of the diff..
then 10 x 12mm nuts at the front of the diff..
you might have to lever it out with a flat blade screw driver, but shouldn't do too hard..
you diff centre is out.. saves you a few hundred $$$..

DRiiFT_King
29th November 2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks heaps for that,

crazy86
29th November 2005, 11:09 PM
Difftrans at Greenacre? THey did my TRD overhaul, new bearings and everything, so far so good.
These guys do a lot of diffs etc for rally/race guys apparently.

I have since bought myself a dial guage and mag block, so i can DIY the backlash.

Monster
30th November 2005, 09:04 AM
If its a new Kaaz... does it need to be shimmed?