PDA

View Full Version : Hilux diffs?

verm69
28th November 2005, 04:38 PM
Hey everyone.

I've been told that you can put a hilux diff in an 86 and they are really strong, i was just wandering if this was true, what kind of work is involved (i.e. new mounting points, shortening, break conversions etc etc) and also what year/model of hilux diff you can use.

ANY info would be handy http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

cheers

dave

DRFTAE86
28th November 2005, 04:57 PM
I too would like to know more about this.

The only down side i have heard is that u cant "DUMp" ur 86 as much due to the bigger diff housing?? Any1 care to shed sum light on this?

OBE353
28th November 2005, 08:26 PM
also interested also have no idea http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

JDMJNKY
28th November 2005, 08:40 PM
the raceflow sprinter runs a hilux diff.

ae86 slide
28th November 2005, 09:24 PM
only sprinter i saw with a hilux diff had to run 16inch rears to clear the big drums, big $$$ tyres.

Dorio86
28th November 2005, 10:06 PM
too expensive, its cheaper to find then on the vans though. Also a custom bracket has to be made for the panh hard rod.

CAE86
28th November 2005, 10:06 PM
From memory, the diff you need is from an late 80's hilux, can't remember if it is 2wd or 4wd, but they both are very similar. Check on toymods.org for info as I remember seeing something on there about it a while ago.

You also need to either convert the hubs and brakes down to a smaller size, or run 4wd rims on the rear with low profile tyres.

Try finding the user 90ING (on toymods or here) as he has done this conversion and will know exactly whats needed.

Keep in mind though, the hilux rear end is HEAVY (150kg compared to about 70kg for sprinter rear end) so only consider it if you are planning on putting in a motor with a lot of power and torque, otherwise it isn't really worth the hassle.

I was considering doing this conversion to my sprinter as I am in the process of putting in a CA18DET, but a T series lsd came up that was a good price, so I am going to see how that lasts first.

On the plus side, the hilux diff does have access to a large range of ratios that are readily available. As well as LSD and Lockers. eg. ARB Airlockers....

SEXY 16
28th November 2005, 10:11 PM
I RUN A HILUX DIFF AND SHE IS DUMPED ON THE GROUND
I ALSO RUN A 13 INCH SUPERLIGHT WHEEL
CONVERSION IS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE AND IT IS REALLY EASY
I GOT MINE FOR FREE AS IT WAS IN MY OLD RALLY CAR"86" BEFORE I STRIPPED HER OUT

Blood Child
28th November 2005, 10:29 PM
if anyone wants a hiace diff (apparently similar) i have a hiace u can have for free if u'r willing to tow it. toowoomba/gatton area

DRFTAE86
28th November 2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by SEXY 16@Nov 28 2005, 09:11 PM
pics?

verm69
29th November 2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Dorio86@Nov 28 2005, 09:06 PM
too expensive, its cheaper to find then on the vans though. Also a custom bracket has to be made for the panh hard rod.
i'm VERY interested in getting one of these... what type of van??? Hiace like blood child said?

i just need something that won't Break with a locker!!!

tipper86
29th November 2005, 01:07 PM
you can run a shortened r31 skyline rear end, mate got his done for 1400 dollars full disc rear end with a lsd. Car is currently making 450rwhp and is still putting up a good fight

SEXY 16
29th November 2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by DRFTAE86+Nov 28 2005, 10:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SEXY 16@Nov 28 2005, 09:11 PM
pics? [/b]
you can take them i dont know how and if you want to come over and have a look pm me

DRFT - 86
29th November 2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by tipper86@Nov 29 2005, 12:07 PM
you can run a shortened r31 skyline rear end, mate got his done for 1400 dollars full disc rear end with a lsd. Car is currently making 450rwhp and is still putting up a good fight
this is soundin the way to go if I dont get a T18 rear end....

as Im a noob with diffs n shit... what is actually involved when u shorten a diff

blackers
30th November 2005, 11:53 AM
I've done this conversion from scratch
Step 1; find someone wrecking a 1980 or earlier 2wd hilux as these are the correct width for a sprinter. Actual measurement is 1355mm, sprinters are 1380mm
Step 2; you can take it to a diff modification shop (anyone who does 9" conversions is a good place to start) or make your own jig and do it yourself. This involves lots of work, you need a welder and the skills to fabricate.
Step 3; decide what brakes you want to run, I used Mitsubishi Scorpion calipers and discs as they still use the caliper type cable handbrake rather than the internal drum and caliper type, this made life a whole lot easier
Step 4; take the tailshaft down and get it shortened, the hilux diff is around 35-50mm longer in the nose, mine used the same flange as the sprinter interestingly enough.
Step 5; find an appropriate centre for the car, I've got a Torsen from a JZA80 soarer in mine
Step 6; get it all fitted, I don't know if the standard master cylinder will work (front to rear brake bias) with the Scorpion calipers as I have a wilwood bias bar and 2 master cylinder setup in my car
Step 7; Enjoy!
There's a tech article on Toymods that can be downloaded for those that wish to see it with pictures, it's not mine but I used some of his ideas when I did my own conversion. For those that live in WA, I can recommend Phil at Final Drive engineering in O'Connor. Cost for him to do the housing alone is around $500-600
Cheers
Blackers http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

DRFT - 86
30th November 2005, 12:23 PM
good stuff champ..

TurboRA28
30th November 2005, 04:37 PM
I reckon a F series is better suited unless going for some serious power.

DRFT - 86
30th November 2005, 05:33 PM
Id like to hear from someone who has done the R31 rear end conversion... whats involved ect.

verm69
1st December 2005, 05:04 PM
i've been reading up on toymods, and it seems as though the best option is to go with the T-18 diffs and just weld the S series brakets on to the T18

my question is... will there be any complications putting this in? as in will i be able to just weld the brakets on and bolt it in with the t18 hand break cables??? or do i need to get siht shortened and stuff?? will mu suspention fit without a problem??? etc etc

any help will be MEGA appreciated

god dam this is confusing!!! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

dave

TurboRA28
1st December 2005, 05:11 PM
I put a T18 diff in ae86.

All bolted in, just had to weld on anti roll bar mounts.

Have to use t18 brakes also, but i found my ae86 handbrake cables fitted fine.
ae86 brake lines are all good too. shocks & springs fit fine.

You need a t18 rear 1/2 tailshaft also, as the ae86 one is too long.

Cheers
Joel

verm69
1st December 2005, 05:21 PM
awesome... so i need to grab the shaft off a T18 too as they have the same chassis right??? or will i need to get some one to shorten it?

OBE353
1st December 2005, 09:48 PM
awesome... so i need to grab the shaft off a T18 too as they have the same chassis right??? or will i need to get some one to shorten it?[/b]

just get the rear half of the tailshaft from the T18 as they fit. there is a step by step how to on this on this forum somewhere too cant remember where though.

chasingpandas
5th December 2005, 12:18 AM
what series are the earlier hilux diffs? The problem really with t18 diffs is just finding them right? What cars did they come in? just the JDM 86'?

And also are scorpion hubs 4 stud?

Thanks

DRFTAE86
5th December 2005, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by chasingpandas@Dec 4 2005, 11:18 PM
what series are the earlier hilux diffs? The problem really with t18 diffs is just finding them right? What cars did they come in? just the JDM 86'?

And also are scorpion hubs 4 stud?

Thanks
The t-18 diff came from a TOYOTA T-18 http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

who would have guessed. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/cool.gif