PDA

View Full Version : What would cause TPS to play up ?

kravit
6th December 2005, 01:04 PM
Hey guys,
I've been trying solve my problem for while now with no luck
I have replaced TPS,Coils&Igntion, Spark plugs, leads are good, fuel pump

It would only rev to 4000 revs and just bounce there and miss throttle sometimes, when i unplug TPS the problem is gone but doesnt run the smoothest

With fuel pump is it ok to have it hooked up to ignition ?

crazy86
6th December 2005, 01:43 PM
when you un-plug the TPS, the engine will run in "safe" mode, so this doesnt mean its a prob with the TPS, just a problem...somewhere.

Mabey its the crank angle sensor? It might be failing at higher RPM's?

kravit
6th December 2005, 01:48 PM
What is Crank angle sensor ??

sic86
6th December 2005, 02:13 PM
So the car only revs to 4,000km and stops?

Cheers

sic86
6th December 2005, 02:15 PM
If you want a definition of a crank angle sensor, than here is a tech one.
The crank angle sensor is a basic component of the ECCS It monitors engine speed and piston position, and sends signals to the ECU to control fuel injection, ignition timing and other functions. The crank angle sensor has a rotor plate and a wave-forming circuit. The rotor plate has 360 slits for 1 0 signal and 6 slits for 120 0 signal. Light Emitting Diodes (LED) and photo diodes are built in the wave-forming circuit.

Cheers

kravit
6th December 2005, 02:23 PM
Where about is crank angle sensor on the car ?

Well it revs to 4000 and if i play with dizzy rev around 3000,
When i plug up tps then throttle is not very responsive

crazy86
6th December 2005, 02:28 PM
Mabey your dizzy is farked? We could play guessing games all day, just take it to a pro.

mattysshop
6th December 2005, 02:45 PM
go through what you did step buy step..double check everything..does it miss at 4000rpm? or does it stop revving?

kravit
6th December 2005, 02:46 PM
It stops reving, just bounces of it

Monster
6th December 2005, 04:19 PM
Your CAS is in your dizzy

Monster
6th December 2005, 04:20 PM
I've heard of this problem caused by the speed sensor failing, sending the ECU into safe mode (the same as not connecting it on a 20v conversion)

kravit
6th December 2005, 06:47 PM
So what would cause it to go into safe mode, i have tried reseting computer, but no go

Monster
6th December 2005, 07:59 PM
If the problem remains, no amount of re setting of the ECU will help. Sorry dude.

kravit
6th December 2005, 08:59 PM
Seems like electrical then,something not on right or eathed, just cant find it

crazy86
6th December 2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by kravit@Dec 6 2005, 08:59 PM
Seems like electrical then,
What brings you to that conclusion?

kravit
6th December 2005, 10:08 PM
Because when i plug in TPS is fucks up the car, its linked from somewhere along there, i cant see what else it could be after 3 weeks fuckin around

mattysshop
6th December 2005, 11:27 PM
you sure it only happens at 4G or when you get to a certain amount of throttle..cos i had problems with my tps..once it got to 1/4 throttle the car died in the arse..then once you backed off a little it would come back to life..but you could touch the accelerator and rev it to 6g or so with little input..

mattysshop
6th December 2005, 11:28 PM
you sure it's the right TPS switch?

kravit
6th December 2005, 11:54 PM
What you mean by TPS switch ?
Its correct one, already checked
But i have noticed when i move dizzy about i get different rev limits but that just retards car i guess because dizzy been messed with

When i try rev,rev it, it will miss rev, and have ot wait for revs to return to lower rev for it to rev again

VIC_AE86
9th December 2005, 10:23 AM
My 4AGE is doing it to, more when the engine is cold.

It is the TPS, where its not making a contact when the throttle is opened and closed.

You can adjust them with a small screw in the side of it and turn it (Like adjusting a dizzy) move it back untill it idles quite rough then bring it back JUST untill it comes back to normal idling.

Well I hope that helps, but yeah your not the only one with the problem.

Peace in the middle east! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif