PDA

View Full Version : Stop firewall butchery! - Ultimate 20V RWD guide

rthy
4th January 2006, 02:40 AM
Well I have finally writted the first proper easy to understand 20V to RWD guide that doesnt involve firewall mods, relocated engine monts, cross-over pipes, external thermostats, etc.. you even get to keep your heater running.

I am still working on it but I need to know what people think:

heres the link:

Sam.Q's 20V to RWD cooling guide (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=13864)

sic86
4th January 2006, 08:12 AM
Nice work dude, have to have a better read when I get more time

Cheers

rthy
4th January 2006, 04:39 PM
thanks, let us know if you think I should make any changes when you do read it.

.wolfwood
4th January 2006, 04:58 PM
good write up. some f the grammer is not the best but what does it really matter?

well done man

rthy
4th January 2006, 05:01 PM
yeah thanks, I am going to proof read it once again to get the grammar right, it isn't really my forte

Gilly
4th January 2006, 05:37 PM
thats awesome. i cut my firewall but i will probably do this mod later as it looks better thn the 2 hoses coming up over the exhaust.!

sic86
4th January 2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Sam_Q@Jan 4 2006, 04:01 PM
yeah thanks, I am going to proof read it once again to get the grammar right, it isn't really my forte
You probably won't, i say that about all my websites but it never happens, lol http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/cool.gif

Cheers

Astroboy
15th January 2006, 10:04 PM
Stupid question , but what does the water system have to do with the firewall ? i cannot see anything there about the dissy / heatercore are of the firewall being the problem ? Nothing about the ignition/dissy being the firewall problem . I am missing a page there ?

rthy
16th January 2006, 12:00 AM
not a stupid question astro, much unlike a 16V engine the inlet and outlet for a 20V engine is at the back of the head, one of those being right at the back end. Not only is there an outlet there but normally there is a also a large block of metal that incorperates a thermostat. So when the engine is in the rwd format there isn't room for much at all, so the thermstat housing has to go and hence the outlet has to be changed. Just ask if you have any more questions

mech`s blue
16th January 2006, 10:13 PM
awesome write up man,
thanks for taking that effort for us, its totally changed my project plan

just have a few questions
1. i noticed that in all your picks for running your crank sensor that you don't have
a cover over the dizzy. have you had any probs with that or you gonna get one
made up?
2. for your alternator bracket have you since changed it. have any idea if a 4ac
bracket and alternator fits in the position where you placed yours
3. would you at all be interested in making up a kit for sale or know of anyone who
does. i only need the top radiator piping, rear blanking plate, and the top pipe
off the water pump.
4. also what type of engine management did you use to run your set up. and does
it retain the vvt

i know there is a fair bit to ask so i appreciate any response

cheers man

rthy
16th January 2006, 10:24 PM
thanks man

ok here goes:

1- I have had no problems and I don't think I ever will. Magnetic sensors of that type are tough as nails and I have given it hell; I have spilt fluid on it and used it to stop the engine leaning over too much. A cover can't be properly fitted without rubbing against something so I never plan on doing it.

2- I am sure a 4Ac bracket would fit and if I wasn't such an extreemist I would of done just that. I have been told that one off a 4AFE might also fit. I will check that the spacing is the same for you.

3- Anthony Kellam makes a kit, don't know contact details and also he sells the rear blanking plate but I wouldnt get it if I were you.

4- I am temprarily using a modified OEM one. I do however own a wolf 3d which I plan on using later.

feel free to ask any more questions you may have, you could talk to me on MSN also, hell you could even visit if your in the S.E suberbs of Vic

I am here to help as much as I can

mech`s blue
16th January 2006, 10:33 PM
cheers for that http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

slydar
16th February 2006, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Sam_Q@Jan 16 2006, 09:24 PM
3- Anthony Kellam makes a kit, don't know contact details and also he sells the rear blanking plate but I wouldnt get it if I were you.
wtf why? atleast give a reason. in the past you havent even given a good reason not to use his parts. the only part youve given half a reason not to use is the dizzy cover, cos it rubs on a hose. ive told you this isnt an issue, after prolonged (years) use.

basically you started out wanting to do a piping kit(ive seen your early threads/pics), then saw the tec docs on toymods/pics of anthonys set up, and copied it. and now you straight up tell people its not a good idea to run them, and dont give a reason. dude you suck.

mech's blue if you would like me to send you a link so you can have a look at the parts pm me. if subsequently you would like to purchase them i can arrange that for you.

p.s its a 50 times better set up than sams. i'm not going to give a reason either.

rthy
16th February 2006, 06:43 AM
I explain pretty clearly why I wouldn't recomend it in the article I wrote, see the link in the signiture. It is only the rear dizzy cap I have a problem with, the rest seems great.

Oh and also I didn't copy his kit, I got my information from multiple sources.

I am happy to explain more when I get back later.

surfingisfun
16th February 2006, 11:31 AM
get him dee!! and ants stuf for 4age 16 and 20v conversions is tryed and tested and results........ well go to drift day and see!! top bloke as well very helpful!

slydar
16th February 2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Sam_Q@Jan 16 2006, 09:24 PM
dude right there. you said you wouldnt buy the kit. contradict yourself in the same thread.

rthy
16th February 2006, 04:58 PM
what contradiction? I am saying I don't like the blanking plate, as in the cover over the dizzy. Perhaps its my fault in a poor choice of words, did you think I was talking about the rear bypass plate? I wil rename it the next time I will log in.

verm69
16th February 2006, 05:09 PM
Jesus Sam Q!!

HANDY MUCH!?!?! You made your own extractors! along with the rest of your car!!!

/i'm jealous at how handy you are... you have skills...

verm69
16th February 2006, 05:35 PM
sorry to double post... but will the MA-61 Celica Supra Brakes go onto the ae86 struts???

i'm a n00b http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

rthy
16th February 2006, 05:54 PM
Oh I want to also clarify something: I like the backing cover, I think it looks like a great product. I just question if it's a good idea to use if you keep your heater that's all.

Oh and slydar if you saw my earlier posts then you should know that I mean well with what I wrote and I am open to correction, so why is it then that you have such an offensive attitude? I didn't write this claiming to know everything nor to show how much I knew, I beleive I even wrote that statement. I also have at all times acted in a respectable way towards you and listened to what you have to say with an open mind.
So how about instead giving advice to what is better in a rational way so people can benefit instead of just being offensive.

I am even thinking of changing the article to say the cover is ok. The reason I was so against it is that because I saw something simular to this on a Magna from factory.. on the side of the road. I had to change the hose as it had worn through. But I was thinking that while I stand by what I said that I think it would eventually rub through it would probably take longer than any of us keep engines.

rthy
16th February 2006, 09:36 PM
thanks VeRm69, I think people sometimes get upset when they misunderstand my intentions. I just want to keep things civilised.

As for MA-61 struts they fit physically but they give the wrong camber. RA-60 struts are better I think but I still don't know for sure.

slydar
16th February 2006, 10:10 PM
by rear blanking plate i thought you ment what you are calling the bypass plate. it is more of a "plate" than the dizzy cover i think, so its easy to understand the confusion.

the dizzy cover only rubs on the heater hose on its flat part, its not like the edge of it is digging into the hose.

i think the problem is you come across as all knowing even if you dont mean to, when clearly you are not.

also when you say something like so and so sells this kit but i wouldnt get it if i were you thats not very diplomatic. it is much more polite to say "the design differs slightly" or "its not exactly the same" or "i prefer my set up because".

youre discouraging people from buying someones products, someone who honestly only has the 86 scenes best interests in mind, for no other reason the youve seen pictures of it on the net and you think it might cause a problem maybe a few years down the track.

consider the pricing also, anyone with half a clue can tell that the margins there are not huge. these are parts made by an enthusiast for enthusiasts, and i will continue to pipe up if i hear them described in even a slightly negative way any chance i get.

rthy
17th February 2006, 05:08 PM
thanks Slydar, I agree with you and will make those changes when I have sorted out the problem that stops me logging in to my FTP.

verm69
17th February 2006, 05:38 PM
THATS BETTER!!!

i hate when people dis agree and get all worked up http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

today you are both men.... LOL!!!! LOL!!! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

Anthony
22nd February 2006, 12:13 PM
I've really resisted saying anything as its usually pointless, especially when someone holds the position you clearly do. But I do want to say that to place the items you have produced next to mine and say that A> you dont like my products and B> they didnt influence your design at all is completely ridiculous.

I would like to point out my products did not come from "mulitple sources" and when I designed them I had never even seen a Yahoo auction page or a japanese magazine newer than the oldest AE111. I bought a blacktop, pulled it apart and figured out what needed to be done. Maybe not rocket science these days, but at least give credit. I mean... the rear water housing - seriously. put them side by side.

I don't care if you bag them because as Slydar has already pointed out, it's not like these products put food on my table. I actually get more of a return from the knowledge that someone is interested in using a product I (solely) designed.

Anyway, you've done it, you've drawn me in. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif Nice article though, and props for taking the time to write it.

spoon
1st May 2006, 06:38 PM
how did you go about the wiring on the 20v? up to this stage now - everyone seems to only wanna talk about putting an aftermarket computer in there - im running the OEM computer with a modified loom (dli box) and want to know everything i'll need to change like extending the loom(which bits) etc. Cheers mate - love your work

ae86dave
2nd May 2006, 01:55 AM
awesome write up dude will help many conversions yet to come

ae86 drifter
3rd May 2006, 01:36 AM
WTF stop smashing a member of this forum,trying to give knowledge and advice and all he gets is a kick in the teeth.fair enough maybe his words could of been chosen more clearly regards certain products,

anyways everyone has there opinions
keep up the work sam,always interested in what u have done.

cheers

Monk
3rd May 2006, 11:00 PM
^^^ i think i missed something?

rthy
4th May 2006, 06:53 PM
spoon: sorry man that is the only other thing apart from the window tint that I didnt do. A guy from motec designed and installed the DLI kit for the guy I originally bought my engine package off. Talk to Anthony he knows.

ae86 drifter: thanks for the support man, your right about the way things are I am just trying to help. But I do think this is more misunderstandings than anything else so I will give some explanations to this angry man.

now.. Anthony: looking from your point of view I can understand why your pissed, I am sure you think some guy is dishing your products while promoting his that are really a copy of yours. So I am going to explain myself instead of insulting you directly. You have made some pretty big misunderstandings about me.

- I have never made a statement that was knowingly inocrrect, that means I have never lied and I never will.

- I did get the info of my article from various sources, weather or not they originally came from you I dont know, some didnt as I came up with it myself.

- I am not trying to rip off your idea nor intentionally take credit for your work. Yes I saw the old article in the toymods reprositry if that was yours, but I didnt even know that you made a kit till after I had written and shown this article.

- For the rear bypass plate you are strongly sujesting that I blatantly copied yours. I never even saw your design till a very short time ago. I heard about someone using a plate with a slot in it instead of drilling in the head and I thought it was a great idea (and no it wasnt one of yours). So without even looking at it properly I went about to design my own from a block of aluminium I managed to get. No matter what it had to have 3 bolt holes, a slot going from one channel to the other and be made out of a block of aluminium. So is it really that much of a conincidence that it looks like yours? how much different can it really look? I have to say though the way yours has a water feed going out the side is creative though.

- I do give you credit for doing what you did. When I first saw it on toymods I thought it was realy clever and I like the design of your rear bypass plate. I am also interested in seeing your airbox. I personally don't like the idea of an external thermostat, thats my opinion and I know why some people like this setup. I think its creative how you modified the original cast aluminium pipe even if it may possibly cause air locks initually. I have also written that I have taken back any coments about the rear dizzy cover cap, I have seen some beter pics and I have decided that even though it isnt a good idea having two parts that foul against each other it would take almost forever to rub through so it doesnt matter. So I now recomend this product.

I want to know though what you mean by this: " its usually pointless, especially when someone holds the position you clearly do." whatever you mean I bet its a load of shit.

One last thing I was to say is calm down a bit, we are on the same side here doing things for the same cause so relax ok?

One and one last thing, i take pride in speaking what I believe to be an unbiast opinion. So you say I am full of crap without saying why or you say that I am lying at any point then prepare to be abused as I dont take it very well. If you however decide to talk peacefully I will happily reply.

Anthony
6th May 2006, 12:22 AM
Mate you should relax, I worded my post peacefully enough I thought so theres no need to threaten me with abuse.

And as for "someone holds the position you clearly do", I was referring to the fact that you're happy to write "A.. K.. makes one but I wouldnt buy it" on your website. Hardly tactful and therefore possibly someone not worth talking to... but if you're as unbiast (sic) and friendly as you say you are then perhaps that was just a one-off.

BTW, the air has a clear path to the top tank = no air locks.

srt01
12th May 2006, 03:33 PM
Great write up mate. I'll definietly keep your ideas in mind when helping a mate of mine with his conversion.

rthy
12th May 2006, 06:09 PM
anthony: yes it was a one off, sorry for the misunderstanding. Good to hear that it doesnt have air locks. So what do you sell your kit for if you dont mind me asking?

stricko: no problems, pm for my msn address if you want more help on there

snake
7th August 2006, 11:15 AM
HEy dude is there any way u can email the doc. coos i cant open the link???
joshua.chavez@interntionalsos.com

rthy
7th August 2006, 07:00 PM
sorry currently my host is down and I am pretty upset, it should be back soon. I will e-mail the doc but it might be a little bit before the pics work. So hang tight ok?

rthy
7th August 2006, 07:06 PM
e-mail bounced off that address

snake
8th August 2006, 10:34 AM
sorry dude bloody work email??? http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif how large is the file??
can u try this 1? daniel.stephens@internationalsos.com , should work... thanks dude...

rthy
8th August 2006, 06:35 PM
ah finally everything is back online, click on my article link again thats in my first post and let it load.

snake
9th August 2006, 02:09 PM
excellent dude... great article http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

rthy
9th August 2006, 07:32 PM
yeah thanks, i hope you find it useful. Just remember your welcome to ask if you have any questions.

Monk
13th October 2006, 09:57 PM
*cough*bump*cough*

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

rthy
14th October 2006, 02:36 AM
thanks Monk

hey guys it looks like I might be making my own rear bypass plates cheapy if anyone is interested

also I should update the article to also have an uption to use a standard pump and an external thermostat, but I would need to figure out how to do that first myself.

ae86_kiwi
3rd November 2006, 06:41 PM
Quick question SAM_Q, how much room is there between the firewall and the rear of the engine. Just fishing for some measurments as im making up a few of these parts myself.

Cheers

Monk
3rd November 2006, 07:22 PM
That depends on how think you wanan make the plate
which also depend on how deep you wanna make the channel.

make the channel to shallow and you may not get the flow your hoping.

a bit of maths and your can work out the right compination http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

rthy
3rd November 2006, 07:29 PM
theres about 40mm comftably there, however the channel doesnt need to be very deep.

ae86_kiwi
3rd November 2006, 07:54 PM
Cheers Sam, much appreicated. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

rthy
1st July 2007, 05:10 PM
hmm my guide seems to be missing, do posts get deleted after a while?

rileymoore05
12th August 2007, 09:18 PM
yeah, was just wondering that myself. none of the links are working.

rthy
14th August 2007, 08:18 PM
well due to the link just disapearing heres the new location:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=14024