PDA

View Full Version : Removing rear axles?

Ksevn-T
8th March 2009, 06:36 PM
Hey guys,
I know its been asked a trillion times here but, How do you axles out that seem to be stuck. Got one side out but the other isnt wanting to budge. Is there any tricks to it. Lend some tips.

Cheers,

Alex

shift_rook
8th March 2009, 06:37 PM
chuck on the drum reversed spray some form of lube all over and pull like you mean it/ woblle, had the problem bout 2 weeks ago, worked a treat

Marco
8th March 2009, 06:42 PM
^exactly what i was gunna say. and you can do the nuts like halfway up and try and use the drum like a slide hammer if that doesn't work.

shift_rook
8th March 2009, 06:45 PM
ah yeah, forgot to add that, smack the absolute schmestser out of it!

Ksevn-T
8th March 2009, 06:45 PM
already tried reversing a rim on it and using like a slide hammer. Then tried using a steel rod through the axle bolt holes and a big hammer but it still wouldnt budge. Thinking of just welding the center in there now, or is that a big no, no?

Alex

shift_rook
8th March 2009, 06:48 PM
forgot this, i ended up wedgeing a crow bar behind the reversed drum and the actual diff bit and pulled like fuck, popped out, but you have to be massive like me:D

shichi~
8th March 2009, 06:48 PM
get a slide hammer man i had 2 came out in 2 shots lol mine was seized in

marlon
8th March 2009, 06:56 PM
i had the same problem- welded it while it was in. oil/degreaser caught on fire a couple of times but was allright... just cover up the bearings with foil.

Sprinterboy
8th March 2009, 09:15 PM
I had a bent one in my JDM diff when I bought it, Had to slide hammer the bastard out, but the slide hammer I had only had a crappy hook, so I made me this with one of the old drums from a diff

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/5/1/8304.jpg

To hits and it was out.... I had spent an hour or more with just the drum and hammers then finally made this, should have done it from the start...lol

shift_rook
8th March 2009, 09:16 PM
nice, would most definately save a lot of hassle

Sprinterboy
8th March 2009, 09:32 PM
most slide hammer kits i've used in the past have an adapter so you can bolt it on to the studs. I just did a home made jobie. Just becareful not to strip the studs.

squish_m8
11th March 2009, 04:58 PM
did this last week on and to get both axles out we kept the axle that is easy to get out in and make sure everything is still lined up, i.e. not taking out excessive bolts. then reverse the drum and start pulling the hard one then the easy one

Ksevn-T
12th March 2009, 05:02 PM
I just ended up welding the damn center still inside the diff housing. Was Truely siezed in!
Cheers for everyones input.

alex

ae86
12th March 2009, 06:03 PM
slide hammer does wonders.
also can heat it up from bottom with heat gun gets it a little loose