PDA

View Full Version : Starter motors

mattysshop
18th January 2006, 10:34 PM
i have had some stating issues ever since i put project Revs together.. and first thing was to get a new starter (just wouldn't crank fast enough) it was a real JDM 4AGE AE86 starter.. so i got another one off a mate who said it was in great condition.. it worked ok.. but not the best at times (eg when hot, would act like a dead battery and slowley crank, but when cool again would be fine..) so i tried all other options as i had already replaced the starter..

I
- checked/replaced all battery terminals
- cleaned/sanded all connections on the battery/distibution block (battery in the boot) and on the starter itself
- replaced the battery
- made an earthing kit for the battery to 3 areas in the boot/parcel shelf/chassis
- added extra earths to the engine/gearbox/even directly to the starter
- added relay and direct battery feed to switching solenoide on starter (starter pull wire)
- replaced starter main power cable
- retarded the timing a little

it got a bit better, but still with no avail.. then a mate of mine gave me his starter (AE82 twinky) that was just sitting in his shed, so after a quick clean up and regrease i chucked her in.. bingo! all fixed.. the other one i got off another mate was farked too.. ohh well it was a second hand starter i spose.....

but i got the part numbers off them..

JDM AE86 - Yellow lable - 28100 - 15110
ADM AE82 - Red lable - 28100 - 15170
i also am pretty sure that the AE92 4AGE starter fits also, and some of them are a gear reduction high torque unit, although i'm not sure of the external differences.. these AE86 and AE82 starters i had looked identicle

AE92 4AGZE starters will not fit, nor will 20V ones..

and ADM 4AC AE86 starters are poo.. they can't crank hard enough to get a 40 year old Virgin off...

Matty

mikes86
18th January 2006, 10:48 PM
A dieing starter is like a slipping clutch, get the brushes re-done and it should be all sweet. Most auto sparkies can do it and if you got the bits there its not hard to do. You just gotta b wise on how u put it all back together. Should cost round 100 mark

Medwin_3sGTE_AE86
19th January 2006, 12:02 AM
Most of them die due to heat from the exhaust manifold.... had mine rebuilt and it lasted like 2 months b4 it started playin up again.... i really should put in some heat shields or wrap the exhaust.....

slide86
19th January 2006, 01:09 AM
matty if u want ill see if i can get peter to rebuild it for you cheap as

the fella i did auto electrican work ex for
ive helped him rebuild a they are easy as shit
takes 10-15 mins

mattysshop
19th January 2006, 07:31 AM
yeh if you want.. i have my JDM one just sitting there doing jack (not you Jack) so, yeh the isn't any rush.. but yeh heat sheilding would prolly help, although i never really had any issues with my old JDM one?? and this one looks exactly the same.. ?? ohh well, couldn't hurt i geuss!

Medwin_3sGTE_AE86
19th January 2006, 10:32 AM
CASS!!!! WHAAAATT!! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/blink.gif U DID AUTO ELECTRICIAN WORK!!! WTF!!! lol... LAZY c***!!!

mattysshop
19th January 2006, 12:44 PM
ha ha ha thats right.. and he was trying to get us to rewire his paj... what a pooofta! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif jokes..

Medwin_3sGTE_AE86
19th January 2006, 08:28 PM
f***... i did rewire his paj.... and his fixed up his alpine deck.... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/blink.gif

Gilly
30th January 2006, 06:18 PM
i have the same problem with my starter, it sometimes just doesn't do any thing but you can hear the fan start and fuel pump going. i just keep hitting the key and it works normamlly on the 3rd attempt. but now i'll think i'll get an AE82 one......

browneye
12th February 2006, 09:44 PM
g'DAY...

Thanks for the info....

If anyone has one for sale please pm me!!>>??
Regards

scott brown

Gilly
4th March 2006, 05:17 PM
nah mine doesn't click at all, just does nothing untill 3rd or 4th attempt, i thought i'd could be ignition switch, but it's putting out a start signal as the fuel pump goes and the thermo goes.

ps fan and pump aren't wired to ignition

SprinterTRD
4th March 2006, 08:42 PM
for sure the problem will be with the solonide, the contacts build up an insulation (resistive) layer over time from the arching during starting. If you have the starter apart you may as well replace the brushes and true up the brush contacts on the armature (you will need a lathe to do this)