PDA

View Full Version : AE86 Headlight repair

sr_rolla
14th March 2006, 10:58 PM
I used to have an 86 and as im sure your all aware, the headlights are damn expensive and hard to find in good nick, so I figured out how to fix'em cheap and easy.

Step 1: you need rear part of an 86 headlight (the plastic bit) and all the rear mounts. peel all the broken glass out of the seal and clean all the sealant out (bastard of a job).

Step 2: get hold of some good late model AE82 headlights, the lense and all of the inner workings of the headlight will fit into an 86 backing, and the later model 82 has brighter lights than an 86 because of a few differances in the reflectors (look at some 82 headlights in a carpark and you'll see what I mean).

Step 3: carefully peel the lenses out of the AE82 lights, dont worry about damaging the plastic around the lense as you just throw that out, from memory the 82 lenses are heaps easier to get out than the 86 lenses for some reason.

Step 4: clean everything properly and re-assemble your headlight using a decent quality silicone (clear silastic)

Step 5: use some heavy rubber bands around the headlight and leave to dry overnight, or get some of those little stainless clip thingys that AE82 rollas have (you'll see what i mean at the wreckers).

Step 6: clean off excess silicone and re-install headlight to enjoy clean, clear, unbroken headlights http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/cool.gif

dori_86
14th March 2006, 11:14 PM
any pics?

sr_rolla
14th March 2006, 11:51 PM
sorry man I figured this out about 3yrs ago and i didnt take any pics, and have since sold the 86, if you have any specific questions I'll help the best i can but i can provide pics http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

dori_86
15th March 2006, 12:29 AM
i have a spare lhead light in the shed cracked glass (not me!) not sure about casing but is it that much of a differance in light between the two diferent headlights?

daz86
15th March 2006, 08:16 AM
i have done this too and if you look at the writing on the ae82 and ae86 headlights they are the same not too soure about the year model things i just got my ones of a sedan

SPEEDCORE
15th March 2006, 10:11 AM
SPEEDCORE's AE86-AE82 headlight lens tip.....

Heat the oven really low and place headlights inside keeping a close eye on them..... Try around 50-70 degrees and no more than 5 mins at a time.

This softens the sealant and removal of the lenses are extreamly easy.

I have done several lights from different cars like this including all plastic lens headlights like honda civic ones with no troubles at all. Great care must be taken while heating the lights up!

DISCLAIMER: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! If you screw it up you obviously did not keep an eye on the lights in the oven or where a brute and impatient while pulling it apart. Don't blame me for your incompetance! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Matt-AE86
15th March 2006, 04:58 PM
How about instead of making a plastic cake mound from ae86 headlights, just get your heatgun and skim over the glass, the glass will heat up and heat the glue/resin up in the headlight, it should just pop of and go, KAZAAAAAAAAAM!

DRFTAE86
15th March 2006, 05:49 PM
Sweet, now i can actually repair and use the 6 spare 86 head lights i've saved up from around the place. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

OBE353
15th March 2006, 06:47 PM
i also heard a quick zap in the microwave softens the glue up too...but i have NOT tried this or seen this work just heard...

SPEEDCORE
15th March 2006, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't want to put them in the microwave since you still have the metal reflector inside......

45aken
16th March 2006, 07:25 AM
ALSO, a whole ae82 headlight will fit into the ae86 with little modification.

and did you say that the internals will fit into the ae86 light? what abou the adjusting things?

sr_rolla
17th March 2006, 07:48 PM
from memory they do but theres a little pivot ball thingy with a clip that always breaks during reassembly so get a few spares when your at the wreckers