PDA

View Full Version : Relocating Battery to the boot

driftism
15th March 2006, 08:57 PM
Seeing as there was talk of making this thread in another section, i thought i'd make one.

First of all you'll need to buy a few things
-Battery Box/clamp
-thick battery cable/battery connection terminals
-tools to unbolt battery cable from starter motor
-drill
-assorted rivets/bolts for fixing battery box in.

Firstly you need to disconnect and remove your battery from the engine bay. You'll also have to disconnect the positive cable from the starter motor.
Next you choose a place in the boot that you think the battery will look pretty in and secure the battery box/clamp by drilling appropriate holes etc.

Then you have to feed the cable through the car. (because this isn't exactly cheap i'd measure the length required first with some string or something so then you can only pay for what you need).
There are two ways to do this, one is to drill a hole through the floor and fix the cable under the car, or to run it through the cabin. this is the easier of the two if you have no carpet.
NOTE: Always use rubber around any holes with cable running through them, so you don't electrify the whole car if the cable insulation rubs through...

Attach the terminals to the end of the cable. On the sprinters there are a lot of things that fit onto the positive battery terminal. The easiest way around this i think is to fit a ring terminal onto the positive cable and bolt it to the old terminal. This saves a fair bit of re-wiring. You will also have to extend the other wires attaching to the positive battery terminal, so everything gets power again.
You will have to solder another ring terminal onto the end of the positive cable so it will bolt up to the starter motor.

You may be able to re-use your negative terminal cable, but this isn't the best thing around (not very thick) so bin it and buy/make another one. earth it by drilling a hole into the body and bolting it up securely.

The next thing is to connect up all the cables to the starter etc... but don't connect up the battery just yet.

check everything is connected like it was originally and secure the battery in place.
connect it up and if everything is ok the car should start and run. if not then check all of the connections again.

You can remove the old battery tray from the engine bay by drilling out the spot welds and smacking it with a large hammer...

Also, if you want to add a race cut off switch at the same time, you just add it into the main line to the starter by cutting/adding terminals. you may also have to add extra wires from the battery if you want to retain stereo memory etc...

Now you can enjoy all of the extra room in your engine bay that is created from not having a battery in there!!

mech`s blue
16th March 2006, 09:38 PM
Next you choose a place in the boot that you think the battery will look pretty in and secure the battery box/clamp by drilling appropriate holes etc.[/b]

when you do this make sure that you don drill into the tank underneath http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif
it amazing how many people forget this then go, oh, when they get fuel smells and leaks http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Andor
16th March 2006, 10:06 PM
Sweet thanks fellas.

upgarage
17th March 2006, 01:41 AM
heh
i hate drillin into my car so i ran my cable through one of the heater core holes in the firewallthen i ran it through a kill switch located where the stereo used to be and then through the middle of the car and to the passenger side backseat.

i used insulated mounting clips my auto sparky mate gave me.
also i ran the cable straight to the starter motor instead of the terminal
that way i can use a much skinnier wire to connect up the terminal post in the engine bay. the starter motor is what draws the most current

will show ya's some pics when i get the time

driftae86
17th March 2006, 02:00 AM
make sure the wiring is done properly and that you have a kill switch set up.

an ae86 caught on fire at one of the drift pracs here at barbagallo because the wiring was earthing or something and setting the interior trim on fire. couldnt open the battery box in the boot so without the kill switch it just kept arcing up and setting more things on fire until they finally got the box open.

something to consider

mc68
19th March 2006, 11:33 AM
also keep in mind this is illegal in most states, and will require a permit http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Jason
19th March 2006, 11:51 AM
g0t engineer?

DRiiFT_King
19th March 2006, 12:07 PM
i just got all the stuff need for this last week, you looking at $100+ to do this properly, luckly it only cost me a slab.

the battery box is $17.50
10m of 36sqmm cable (in a nice blue) $75 odd
3 ft black heat shrink (to mark the negative) $20 odd (no that important)
big terminals/lugs $5 odd
a 6mm cable ($ depends on how you want to run it)
a hand full of rubber glands
plus a kill switch

DRiiFT_King
19th March 2006, 12:14 PM
also dont try to do it cheap by using smallish wire, because you not going to be hapy with it, being that you'll need to crank the car of heaps to get it to start,
plus using solder on any wiring in you car isnt a good idea, the only place manufactures use it is the dash, because solder goes crappy pretty quickly and you going to have a heap of bad connections in you car that will very hard to diagnose when you car isnt running right, you better of crimping every thing.

.wolfwood
19th March 2006, 02:02 PM
shit man i went to get some wire to run for the battery, some big thick shit that apparently is what your ment to use and they wanted $20 a farking meter.

also what you mean by a kill switch, some one got some pics plz.

Jason
19th March 2006, 03:12 PM
lolz $20 a meter Cable (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WH3064&CATID=22&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=491)

Jason
19th March 2006, 03:12 PM
More

Jason
19th March 2006, 03:13 PM
For all you noobs out there

upgarage
19th March 2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by .wolfwood@Mar 19 2006, 11:02 AM
shit man i went to get some wire to run for the battery, some big thick shit that apparently is what your ment to use and they wanted $20 a farking meter.

also what you mean by a kill switch, some one got some pics plz.
http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/imag...attcut28606.gif (http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/images/acc_battcut28606.gif)

.wolfwood
19th March 2006, 03:58 PM
ahh ic ic so the kill switch is just to turn the current off to the battery incase something happens. ahh okay then.

someone got a pic of what they did with the original batteryleads and the little fuse box thing on it.

ta ben

upgarage
19th March 2006, 08:16 PM
my positive terminal in the engine bay has a wire which goes to the starter(doesnt need to be as thick as the batt to starter motor one)
then got another wire off the starter that goes to the batt in the car

OBE353
19th March 2006, 10:51 PM
another tip for those that have painted thier interior/bay etc when bolting the earth wire to the car make sure u sand/scratch back the surface so it gets a clean connection otherwise u mightn b able to start ur car.

i also wouldn wanna mount the batt to close to the back near any fuel system components, and the accident factor if u get hit up the back or spin and crash the back, i think there is some kinda law restrictin u from puttin battery and fuel systems a certain distance from the rear of the car??

just a personal oppinion i would also mount on the passenger side backseat area as it keeps battery away from driver if anythin goes wrong, and also takes some weight of drivers side as most times driftin u have no passengers

DRFTAE86
20th March 2006, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by 4AGE - 86@Mar 15 2006, 07:57 PM
earth it by drilling a hole into the body and bolting it up securely.
No need to be drilling holes for that....
Simply use the rear seat belt bolts as a earthing point.

driftism
22nd March 2006, 10:52 PM
more holes= weight reduction

lol

dori_86
22nd March 2006, 10:53 PM
good thinking

upgarage
1st April 2006, 03:06 AM
in between the battery and the starter motor

Jason
2nd April 2006, 03:14 AM
omg, its not hard to work this out.

Batt > Fuse > Wire > Switch > Fusebox

this is like the eaisest thing you can do to your car

upgarage
2nd April 2006, 04:46 AM
ok
if you do it the way i did it
you run less of the thick wire and end up saving cash.
no need to have the thick wire going all the way to where the battery used to be
only need to run it to the starter motor and then run a skinnier wire to the +ve terminal in the engine bay

understand?

verm69
5th April 2006, 04:34 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

this topic makes me laugh

some people are funny... i.e. the last 3 posts on page one

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

*sorry to go off topic http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/happy.gif

verm69
5th April 2006, 04:36 PM
omg, its not hard to work this out.

Batt > Fuse > Wire > Switch > Fusebox

this is like the eaisest thing you can do to your car[/b]

and this one...