PDA

View Full Version : Common Problem AE71/KE70 Headlight/indicator Switch

stahlz_ae86
22nd December 2008, 10:30 PM
[Info copied and pasted from thread I made on Toymods ~ 3 years back]

Hope this thread can be useful to any KE70/AE71 owners who encounter this common problem.

A few months back whilst driving at night I noticed my headlights cut out every time the automatic release flicked the turn signal off after i was pulling out of a corner. Initially I thought little of it, yet it continued to occur so I went to pick a part and bought another switch cluster unit and replaced it. Yep you guessed it, same problem.

Long story short, dad has an old mate (auto elec) who confirmed this model corolla has this common problem. As time goes by and the indicator switch is repeatedly used, the wires within that lead to the headlight switch get worn out as they kink over a plastic "lug" causing the wire to break as it is only three thin wires.

I fixed the problem by running three new wires down the indicator stalk to replace the broken wires. If you do encounter this problem and take the unit out you will see what i mean, and hopefully i have helped out and saved you the trip to the wreckers ;)

PS: As the warranty on the part at the wreckers was only a few dollars extra i did pay it and they gave me a parts credit when i returned the dodgy unit. So when it comes to electricals i also suggest you buy your parts with warranty. Hope this is helpful.

This is the unit out of my KE70 parts car
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/9/5/1892.jpg

Where it is circled is where the breakage is on this one....
....from memory when i repaired mine, the breakage was further along the wire somewhere, but either way these are the wires i replaced (right through)

Paul

Sturgey
22nd December 2008, 10:42 PM
thankyouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
never though of that lol

shichi~
22nd December 2008, 11:05 PM
ahaha thats why! i thought i was turning them off LOL!

addikt
24th December 2008, 06:05 PM
my m8s does this also ill have to let him know cheers man