PDA

View Full Version : ae86 fuel tank into ke70

slydar
28th April 2006, 03:59 PM
this is required (on my 81 model car anyway) as the opening in the tank where the pick up bolts in is too small even to fit a new turbine style (small) in tank efi fuel pump. updates to follow.

biggo
30th April 2006, 09:47 AM
Got any updates mate?

slydar
30th April 2006, 04:50 PM
tank fits without modification. only the filler neck section is differant (on the tank and the filler itself) plus in the 86 tank the breather/bypass is in the neck, on the ke its externall (pipe comes out of the top of the tank and the joins back onto the filler half way up.

the filler neck of the 86 tank will foul slightly on the inner guard of the KE. some clearancing with a hammer is all you need.

the 86 filler neck will sit a little lower in the opening, but shouldnt be too much of an issue.

at a later date i might/you could extend the filler neck, but it fits and will work.

the sender plug is also differant. the ke sender will bolt into the 86 tank, but it is oriented inside the tank differantly and when installed might foul on the pickup/baffles.

ill probably just put a new plug on the body loom, i highly doubt there will be any issues with compatibility with the guage.

driftae86
30th April 2006, 05:35 PM
i just put a jdm ae86 tank into my ae71. bolted in no worries, however i had to custom the filler neck for it to reach the fuel cap hole.

i used the bottom section of the ae86 filler and the top section of the ae71 filler. i just used the big rubber hose that comes on the ae71 filler as a connecting pipe. just watch out when you fill it up.