PDA

View Full Version : How much do you tip?

mattysshop
15th May 2006, 12:29 PM
after watching Waiting for the second time last night.. (very very very funny movie, if you like ryan renalds get it, just came out on DVD)

i was thinking .. how much should you really tip? what is considered a good/bad tip? when should you not tip?

personally i always give a tip IF the meal is good, they didn't take overly long to get the meals out etc.. i'm talking like $10-$15 on an average $60-70 2 person meal (g/f and i) i think that sounds fair? or i would put the change in the TIP jar at the counter little things like that..

what do you do?

Dxaqta
15th May 2006, 12:47 PM
i only tip if the staff make my dinning experience better, and then i jsut usually round of the figure say $91 i will make $100

mattysshop
15th May 2006, 01:17 PM
yeh sounds fair.. i'd do that

Blood Child
15th May 2006, 01:47 PM
tip pizza delivery guys, they need it. and not just 5c cos that just shits them.
also, my ex works at lonestar steakhouse on the goldy and she hates spending half the night waiting on a table just to have them put her tip in the jar.
unfortunately, i rarely tip cos i'm poorbut if i do it's usualluy $5 - $10 for a meal under $50 and up to $20 otherwise. of course the food and/or service has to be right too.

cheers

japlish
15th May 2006, 02:38 PM
I work in a resturant.

Barley any one tips probably 1 in a quater to 1 third of people who come to out our resturant.

People arn't expected to tip in australia like in america though.

Over there waiters have a shitty wage and are exspected to make up the rest in tips.

Waiting was a very funny movie. But nothing like a real resturant ( in my experience anyway). A very very extreame version.

I all ways tip in chinese resturants because I'm pritty sure the waiter earns a pritty crap cash in hand wage.

jim8o
15th May 2006, 02:50 PM
yeah ill usually round up 10-15 and ill usually try to give it personally to the waiter/waitress cos tip jars suck! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif but as stipulated above they have to make my dining experience good

Drift^Laurel
15th May 2006, 02:58 PM
Ussually go with the 10% rule at an acctuall resteraunt, Only place i do tip is a resteraunt.

japlish
15th May 2006, 03:04 PM
Ussually go with the 10% rule at an acctuall resteraunt, Only place i do tip is a resteraunt.[/b]

All you guys need to come to my resturant and give me your tips so I can spend them on my car.

Monk
15th May 2006, 04:47 PM
I dont tip.

If you got money to spare i suggest walkign to the counter and putting it in one of the donation tins., commonly found near the registers

japlish
15th May 2006, 05:25 PM
I dont tip.

If you got money to spare i suggest walkign to the counter and putting it in one of the donation tins., commonly found near the registers[/b]

I think it doesn't it hurts to tip but you shouldn't feel obligated to. Resturants do run on small margins though so every little bit helps.

RobertoX
15th May 2006, 06:01 PM
i dont normally tip, i think most prices are well loaded, but i do tip

cabbies it is between 12.90 - 14.50 to my house and i always pay $15, not much but better than nothing

i would tip delivery drivers but i dont get shit delivered

i tip at restaraunts where the prices arent massively loaded or unless they are practially licking your ass lol, $10 - 20 for 2 is plenty

thats about it

aaaaah
15th May 2006, 07:22 PM
I tip cabbies/delivery drivers to the nearest $5.

At a restaraunt i would only tip depending on how much was spent. AS said before, tipping at restaraunts/hotels is an american thing.

slydar
15th May 2006, 07:42 PM
i tip when ive got cash. which is never anymore. if its the case of rouding up a few bucks then yeah no prob.

i tip bar men who mix good drinks sometimes

driftism
15th May 2006, 07:43 PM
I'm pizza guy... any tips are good, but it's funny how only some suburbs tip, and some don't.

FLT LNR
15th May 2006, 07:53 PM
tipping isnt an australian custom. its really a US thing where people rely on tips (ie waitresses) to live.
furthermore, if youre at restaurants of certain ethnic backgrounds, tipping is seen as offensive. markup in restaraunts... my brothers in hospitality, says generally the markup is 300% on the inputs. just something to consider. tipping the pizza guy still seems the right thing to do though, and prolly cabbies too. but i certainly would never feel obliged to do so in this country. it often seems rude to tip.

darkon
16th May 2006, 10:47 PM
i see what u mean aye. if i was waiting on a table n someone gave me like 5 bucks n was like "theres a tip for ya champ;)" id feel like handing their arse to em. lol i think tipping's only something i do if im trying to be a bigshot in front of a chick lol

Micknofx
17th May 2006, 03:55 PM
C'mon guys we live in australia and have wages, tipping is so prominent in the US cause alot of commonly tipped professions (waitress, stripper etc...) have tips figured into thier measley pay.

japlish
19th May 2006, 10:53 AM
markup in restaraunts... my brothers in hospitality, says generally the markup is 300% on the inputs. just something to consider.[/b]

I'm not sure if mark up is normaly that high maybe at some resturants. I'd be thinking 150 to 200% depending if it's drinks or food. But that not all profits. Most of it goes to things like rent, bills, and wages which is a big cost in a resturant.

I recon the lowest wage in a resturant I've heard of was about 11 dollars and hour. I think thats pritty low.

eastcoastdrifter
19th May 2006, 11:41 AM
thats heaps to me lol.........

defect
24th May 2006, 11:26 AM
I usually round off to the higher 10 dollars.

floody31
29th May 2006, 07:06 PM
HELL F#CKING NO!

We have award wages in this country, and no bloody way am I giving them tax free income for what? for being professional about their work? Stuff that.

Leave it for the American movies. 10% rule...spare me please.