View Full Version : The new Ae86

Pages : [1] 2

AE86R
23rd December 2008, 04:58 AM
Yes i know, its old, everyone knows.

But what do you reckon about it?

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/1/0/1916.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/1/0/1917.jpg

The front-engined, rear-wheel drive Corolla AE86 rose to fame as the car of choice for drifters as well as in the popular anime Initial D.

Whilst Lexus is soon to be releasing the IS-F and LF-A, the new model AE86 will represent Toyota’s first true sports car since the Supra.

The drivetrain (RWD, ofcourse) will be sourced from Subaru and initial reports suggest it will be powered by a 1.5L 2NZ-FE engine. Now whilst a 1.5L may not sound impressive, with a target weight under 1,000kg and the original AE86 developing 97kW back in the 1980’s, the performance is sure to be surprising.

Current impressions of the dimensions place it at under 4m long, 1.7m wide and 1.35m high. With a price range of around $12000us

Wally
23rd December 2008, 09:23 AM
They wont make it! :P

Who would buy one? I'm undecided.

AE86R
23rd December 2008, 11:37 AM
id buy one would be a sick daily.
why arent they making it?

johl
23rd December 2008, 11:55 AM
they wont make it. remember toyota only make fwd cars. thats what australians want. remember? *facepalm*

AE86R
23rd December 2008, 11:57 AM
haha, oh yeah great love the fwd cars..

Wally
23rd December 2008, 12:37 PM
Don't know how anyone can enjoy a FWD. We have an Astra and I hate driving it, feels dodgy as.

But yeah like I said, i doubt we will be seeing it anytime soon. Would be interesting if they did release it though. Might make other manufactures bring out more rwd cars aswell.

AE86 LSG
23rd December 2008, 01:11 PM
They wont make it! :P

Who would buy one? I'm undecided.

I think somebody would have said this before the first AE86 was released. Luckily people liked the look of a cheaper car with a sporty feel the same goes for todays society, I hope. A car that is cheap at the pump and easy on the insurance would have potential. Especially with the new license laws a NA FR car would be popular with younger generations and older. Get a few companies making aftermarket accessories and maybe in 20 years time our children will be driving the new cult car. Who knows?
I don't think it looks to bad at all in that pic, it would just take somebody to unleash it's potential. The standard 86 ain't much in its factory trim, but play around a little and well you have sites like this around the world dedicated to this car.

AE86R
23rd December 2008, 01:24 PM
dead set id buy one like i said earlier, its cheap, all the aspects of a new model car in rwd format, what more?

Wally you can enjoy a fwd i used to have a type r thing was awesome actually use to like it better through the twisties then my 86 and it was stock.

Honda fwd have taken fwd to a totally different bench mark.

Any car is enjoyable if its your pride and joy

Iain
23rd December 2008, 03:04 PM
they wont make it. they wont even make a TRD Yaris or Corolla

RolandGTV85
23rd December 2008, 04:03 PM
Australia will only get the subaru version, Japan will be the only country that will see the Toyota version. Which sucks ass

enigma
23rd December 2008, 05:13 PM
i doubt subaru would put their badge on a rwd car. 4wd is their trademark

Vance
23rd December 2008, 05:17 PM
i agree with what roland said

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/28/subaru-rwd-coupe-will-be-sold-worldwide-toyota-version-only-in/

thats the latest pic of the concept for the suburu. i had one on the last forums of the toyota version but i cbf looking through the off-topic chat section to find it. the toyota pic i had was of an actual concept car

heres a link with a drawing

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/22/report-toyobaru-delayed-until-2012-or-later/#comments

its delayed until 2012 anyway for now.....

rthy
23rd December 2008, 05:34 PM
if the price is right it might sell
atho im pretty sure australia will get the even more awesome version
super rare FWD model with a 1.4l sohc carby motor

enigma
23rd December 2008, 05:38 PM
im sure it will be diesel so we can get good economy too

rich_86
23rd December 2008, 09:12 PM
rwd diesel or hybrid yaris anyone?

Nikkojoe
23rd December 2008, 09:20 PM
hmmm, if it is a subaru outside of japan, then ill just find the toyota badges on yahoo :P

marvis
23rd December 2008, 09:54 PM
Looks bulky.

Vance
23rd December 2008, 10:14 PM
hmmm, if it is a subaru outside of japan, then ill just find the toyota badges on yahoo :P

the exterior pannels, lights etc are different. id be guessing interior will be different too.

since its not going to be released here you should be able to import under sevs

Nikkojoe
23rd December 2008, 10:26 PM
true, but its not set in stone.....

once it comes out you will know what is needed to be done.... I doubt the interior would be too different, possibly different colour trim but the bulk of it would be the same. It wouldn't be worth it on a production car sold in one country

Eircamae86
23rd December 2008, 11:15 PM
Never going to happen with the state of the global economy

sonsta
24th December 2008, 12:46 AM
new cars are far to heavy, if they want to build another 86 it has to be the same kind of style car

light weight, 2 door, small n/a 4cyl, well balanced

R&D Mechanical
24th December 2008, 01:07 AM
it wont work, tooo hev3ey

Eircamae86
24th December 2008, 01:24 AM
We already have the IS200 Sport/Alteza,

R&D Mechanical
24th December 2008, 01:25 AM
and that didnt work in D1 they canned it and got it again?

awang
24th December 2008, 01:32 AM
i'm happy with my old ae86, don't need to buy a new one

skaney
24th December 2008, 02:01 AM
i'm happy with my old ae86, don't need to buy a new one

Word.

I know I wont be buying a new car in the 86 vain no matter how good it is.

Somethings need to stay in the past, how many good ideas have been ruined by shit sequels, bands rep been tarnished by shitty new releases etc etc

driftke70
24th December 2008, 02:33 AM
toyota australia had a loss, not toyota japan.

but never the less, toyota barely barely would have brought this out even if it was a perfect world.

redsprinter
24th December 2008, 08:21 AM
We already have the IS200 Sport/Alteza,

that failed hard....

lexus has got the new is250 is-f v8 rwd -- faster then a m3 ... has had a good rating ... hoping to see this pop up in d1....

greeneyes
24th December 2008, 09:07 AM
Toyota engineers involved with the project have politely said the Subaru suspension is "weak and terrible", and Euro emission rules will make it underpowered...

So it may never happen as planned.

AE86R
28th December 2008, 05:18 AM
toyota australia had a loss, not toyota japan.

but never the less, toyota barely barely would have brought this out even if it was a perfect world.

whys that?

Vance
28th December 2008, 09:20 AM
lexus has got the new is250 is-f v8 rwd -- faster then a m3 ... has had a good rating ... hoping to see this pop up in d1....

that wouldnt be in d1 for atleast 10 years. the thing costs a fortune

breno
28th December 2008, 02:32 PM
Lol at this thread.
I dont know why everyone keeps on bringing up D1.
And Toyota had a global loss, not just aus or japan, it was Global.

Toyota should if that havent already totally forget about the AE86.
Its not like anyone one on here could afford to buy one.
Let alone do all the work to one like they do to there 25 year old version.

Shiri
28th December 2008, 03:34 PM
Subaru or Toyota... Who cares... If it's RWD and 220hp for under 25k, I want one...

Wally
28th December 2008, 04:58 PM
Cars these days arent built like they were.

I reckon our old toyotas are 100x more reliable than any of the new shit that comes out these days. Shame really, cause when I want a "newish" car one day, I have no clue what I would buy.

Juturna
28th December 2008, 05:36 PM
why would they make it?
think about it, development cost + new infastructure to make it + advertising of a new model + fuckloads of other costs
and at the end of it, 12 people will buy it cos its rwd and light.....
whereas they stick with what they have, punch out millions of corolla's/camry's
and BAM! money!
pipedreams FTL

Beck
28th December 2008, 07:29 PM
Its not like anyone one on here could afford to buy one.
I really don't think that's at all accurate. In fact, I know it's not.

Let alone do all the work to one like they do to there 25 year old version.
Also: a rather large proportion of the work that members of this forum do to their car is because it's 25 years old.

I'd buy one.

why would they make it?
think about it, development cost + new infastructure to make it + advertising of a new model + fuckloads of other costs
and at the end of it, 12 people will buy it cos its rwd and light.....
whereas they stick with what they have, punch out millions of corolla's/camry's
and BAM! money!
pipedreams FTL

haha... narrowmindedness ftl, really. Devcosts/infrastructure/advertising... like they do all the time on new models? Or when they re-vamp an existing model? This stuff is kinda what car companies DO. Obviously they've done the math and realized it's not a risk they want to take WRT profitability or it would have been done by now, but a pipe dream? Hell, for all we know it could already be on the roadmap.

Eircamae86
28th December 2008, 10:06 PM
Suppose to be delayed another year or so due to the world economy, so I heard anyway :yeah:

LEVIN86
28th December 2008, 11:35 PM
hey all

i found this in a magazine .. ive seen the new 86 concept design on page01 of this post but i think that the one i found is MUCH better

if this was to be released then put my name down for one for sure

enjoy -

Wally
28th December 2008, 11:59 PM
look slike future-istic rear with a mustang front :P

ae8zn6
29th December 2008, 01:16 AM
uhhhh, was that out of autosalon magizine?

If so (layout looks similar)

they make their own 3D models for their own stuff regularily, plus one of their staff owns a sprinter (99.9% sure he's on this forum, so could confirm or deny) but I would not be at all miffed if they just made those pictures themselves...

As for whether or not it will happen... I've just given up on taking sides and plan to sit back, go about my life and wait... if they make it, sweet, maybe I'll even look at getting one, if not... I keep living out my life and don't really notice...

Failsafe plan really... yeah?

sorta comes back to the whole arguing on the internet aurgument otherwise...

AE86R
29th December 2008, 02:09 AM
if it comes out like i said im getting one, thats if they live up to what they are said to be. I reckon we should wait and see let time tell

Moebius
29th December 2008, 08:41 AM
And Toyota had a global loss, not just aus or japan, it was Global.

Toyota's net income was US $17 billion, so not quite a loss.

otanica
4th January 2009, 05:59 PM
I got a AE86 because i wanted a newer car. Its newer than any of my other cars/bike by 15 years. Newer dosen't mean better.
Like others have said, it will be too heavy. There are not many cars no matter what size on the road near the 1000kg mark.

Brad

Shahzan
4th January 2009, 07:21 PM
if dey do put it in production,,,
they will make an anime out of it like Initial D to make sure they sell it all...

letsgohunting
4th January 2009, 07:43 PM
I would buy one. No questions. Must be under 1400kg though. Must be rwd. Must be under $34K

greeneyes
5th January 2009, 07:11 AM
since its not going to be released here you should be able to import under sevs

If they release the Subaru version in Aussie they will ban the Toyota version via SEVs, like the Altezza and Lexus IS200

sprinter666
3rd March 2009, 02:38 PM
just wondering if anyones considered nissan, i have had a love for toyotas but in my search around the joint datsun have had more rwd sports cars out than anyone in the 4cyl and 6 cyl mark if anyone wants a new car hit up one of them, but i admit.... still to heavy :( like my old box, would love an old datsun z car sittin next to a sprinter.... dont make em like they used to, improvements just make em worse yuk 350z, looks ok but gme a 260 :D

*slaps self* toyota forum! still nissan have way more sports car selections out there these days, after that choose between a ford and holden.

Frak
3rd March 2009, 05:10 PM
if dey do put it in production,,,
they will make an anime out of it like Initial D to make sure they sell it all...

WTF.....AE86 was popular LONG before Initial D

hachi6
3rd March 2009, 05:13 PM
They could have made it look tuff like an 86. It bares no similarity to a hachi, just another Takumi related money grab...............

PuGZoR
6th March 2009, 01:26 PM
just wondering if anyones considered nissan, i have had a love for toyotas but in my search around the joint datsun have had more rwd sports cars out than anyone in the 4cyl and 6 cyl mark if anyone wants a new car hit up one of them, but i admit.... still to heavy :( like my old box, would love an old datsun z car sittin next to a sprinter.... dont make em like they used to, improvements just make em worse yuk 350z, looks ok but gme a 260 :D

*slaps self* toyota forum! still nissan have way more sports car selections out there these days, after that choose between a ford and holden.

Nissan were creating their new Silvia, but have since dropped the project to persue more fuel efficient / green technologies. Soft.

The new 086A is looking good, despite rumours it has been canned. 7Tune has made a very recent article saying that it's going ahead, and that a few more details have been confirmed.

Apparently they're aiming for a 1200kg mass from the Subaru Legacy base and 200PS through the "refined direct injection" EJ20 Boxer engine. It will utilize the new suspension systems that Subaru have developed for the chassis, hopefully making it a little better than current models. A run down of all the specs anticipated is here:

Engine: EJ20 Direct Injection Gasoline 4 Cylinder
Engine Size: 1994cc
Power: 200ps/7200rpm
Torque: 20.0kg/4000rpm
Transmission: 6 Speed
Wheel Base: 2470mm
Total Length: 4200mm
Total Width: 1750mm
Total Height: 1300mm
Weight: 1200kg

Articles here (http://www.7tune.com/086a-to-use-new-legacy-base/) and here (http://www.7tune.com/toyotasubaru-compact-sports-car-code-086a/). Not too keen on the epic tapered look on the first link, but I do find the second rather pleasing to the eye and crotchal region.

Don't know where they get their sources from, and some of it doesn't really make sense. I mean, they claim there that it should be hitting the 'ring disguised at the end of April. I know refining takes a lot of time, and gearing for production, but seriously, from April 2009 to anywhere in 2012 is a LONG time for refinement of something that's essentially built. If they're up to testing, I would have thought it would be more realistic that they'd be launching in late 2010 to mid 2011 at the latest.

slydar
6th March 2009, 01:44 PM
If they release the Subaru version in Aussie they will ban the Toyota version via SEVs, like the Altezza and Lexus IS200

dont think thats quite how it works man. the powers that be will see it as a different car, cos its from a different manufacturer.

i would say we're just as likely to see the toyota version as the subi.

either way. i dont see the point of this car. for me id rather have a mint late s13 with a few bolts on and $10k in my pocket.

what is it likely to offer over a silvia? less power. but better economy. a waranty stoping you from changing the things you dont like.

but then i dont see the point in any new car. is just wasteful. all this emissions bull shit, the real problem is the cars being built. for people who dont even appreciate a car for what it is. just the wrong attitude everywhere.

anyway.

im just going to say it again to get a rise.

boxer. fail.

letsgohunting
6th March 2009, 02:09 PM
what is it likely to offer over a silvia? less power. but better economy. a waranty stoping you from changing the things you dont like.

I'd have one over my s14 anyday. Over 80s/90s turbo cars. I want a modern n/a rwd car.

Vance
6th March 2009, 03:45 PM
Nissan were creating their new Silvia, but have since dropped the project to persue more fuel efficient / green technologies. Soft.

The new 086A is looking good, despite rumours it has been canned. 7Tune has made a very recent article saying that it's going ahead, and that a few more details have been confirmed.

Apparently they're aiming for a 1200kg mass from the Subaru Legacy base and 200PS through the "refined direct injection" EJ20 Boxer engine. It will utilize the new suspension systems that Subaru have developed for the chassis, hopefully making it a little better than current models. A run down of all the specs anticipated is here:

Engine: EJ20 Direct Injection Gasoline 4 Cylinder
Engine Size: 1994cc
Power: 200ps/7200rpm
Torque: 20.0kg/4000rpm
Transmission: 6 Speed
Total Length: 4200mm
Total Width: 1750mm
Total Height: 1300mm
Weight: 1200kg

Articles here (http://www.7tune.com/086a-to-use-new-legacy-base/) and here (http://www.7tune.com/toyotasubaru-compact-sports-car-code-086a/). Not too keen on the epic tapered look on the first link, but I do find the second rather pleasing to the eye and crotchal region.

Don't know where they get their sources from, and some of it doesn't really make sense. I mean, they claim there that it should be hitting the 'ring disguised at the end of April. I know refining takes a lot of time, and gearing for production, but seriously, from April 2009 to anywhere in 2012 is a LONG time for refinement of something that's essentially built. If they're up to testing, I would have thought it would be more realistic that they'd be launching in late 2010 to mid 2011 at the latest.

1200kg's is a little heavy for my likes but its nothing a turbo and suspension cant fix.

the concept in that first link sucks. side windows are too small.

since toyota has reported a loss recently i believe the economy is the reason for the delay to 2012.

driftke70
6th March 2009, 06:12 PM
modern cars are boring,
contrary to what you might think nothing is really that well designed any more, like not much makes sense in a 350z, look at s2000, petty cool, but dont really want one,

only new car id get would be a new mx5, MAYBE, otherwise im not interested.

Frak
6th March 2009, 10:12 PM
The problem with an MX5 is two guys CAN NEVER be seen together in one!

I worked for a Mazda dealer for years, if you drove an MX5 it was always by yourself, if the car had to be roadtest with two people, it just never happened!!

IF you did decide to road test with another mechanic/work shop foreman, on entering the workshop you were greeted with lots of wolf whistling and gay comments!!

so the rule in our workshop was one person to road test an mx5 unless one of the female staff were coming along.

even years later a friend of mine has an mx5, his car(mx5) was parked behind his wife's car, we were going somewhere, I asked if we could take his wife's car as I wouldn't go in his mx5 if he were driving!!

they are gayer than the mardi gras!!!

P.S. the mx5 SP(aussie turbo) was less gay but still keen on the poo chute!

Vance
6th March 2009, 10:39 PM
if i had an mx5 i would only travel by myself of with the female partner at the time.

would never drive with another bloke.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9233/motivator6104340.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8117/motivator1919963.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7786/motivator4603547.jpg

and heres a review for them at gay.com
http://www.gay.com/style/auto/package.html?sernum=503

in all honestly i would love a mx5. you can make them look pretty tuff

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6354/motivator518845.jpg

driftke70
7th March 2009, 08:04 PM
they are pretty bad ass in every way, just cause they are an open top means squat,

and why would you base your opinions on what a generic run of the mill workshop foreman thinks, their life is based around nothing and they will milk anything for all its worth.

TAK 2
12th March 2009, 02:23 PM
well i heard form one of my sources that the new AE86 is in the making and will be testing the prototype very soon so dont give up yet

djscheppy
12th March 2009, 03:59 PM
this news make me happy in the pant

Frak
14th March 2009, 08:32 PM
This is a picture I've had for a while, it was one of the first to come out when they were talking of an updated AE86, this one I really like and would definately buy :)

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6630/newae861j.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newae861j.jpg)

Frak
14th March 2009, 08:33 PM
^^ That is a good looking little car, still AE86ish looking but modern, I'd own one of these

AE86R
14th March 2009, 08:33 PM
u might want to resize it

Frak
14th March 2009, 08:40 PM
I tried, bloody didn't work, I'll try again

Kid Karola
2nd April 2009, 06:47 AM
haha wonder where you got that one Jamie ;) imageshack fails

timmeh12
2nd April 2009, 04:39 PM
the newest picture looks alright!

Frak
2nd April 2009, 07:59 PM
haha wonder where you got that one Jamie ;) imageshack fails

You know ;)

I think that's the best looking 'new AE86' yet.....why can't they do that with a 3SGE beams/6 speed????????

Frak
2nd April 2009, 08:49 PM
I can understand that, but to be honest with you, I would not be interested with a boxer.....I just can't handle the sound!

Kid Karola
2nd April 2009, 08:57 PM
the newest picture looks alright!

:right: yeah, but that article is like 10 years old! haha I found that in a Hong-Kongese Option Fans magazine, although there were a few other mags I saw reffering to the rebirth of 86 and mentioned an Altezza based coupe from Lexus around that time too (not SC430!). Something along the lines of an M3 competitor.

hey all

i found this in a magazine .. ive seen the new 86 concept design on page01 of this post but i think that the one i found is MUCH better

if this was to be released then put my name down for one for sure

enjoy -

Looks inspired more by RA/TA Celica with the swept up lines an open grill, roofline also looks like the ST205, but that said the even the pics on page 1 look have strong relations to the the last T230 Celica style... At least Toyota is looking at its iconic cars for inspiration rather then doing wierd stuff that looks wrong.

TAK 2
3rd April 2009, 02:20 PM
Hey you guys i saw it the new ae86 it looks sweet especially when it drifts i bet you that the car i saw was the drifting model that there developing

tak 2

p.s by the way sorry about the spamming that got on there by accident

Rice86
3rd April 2009, 02:46 PM
Because the Beams 3SGE no longer meets pollution regulations... And all new cars MUST meet emissions specs.

Thats why the rumour is that its the Subaru Boxer.

i cant believe toyota couldnt come up with an engine that didnt meet pollution regulations if that was the case....

todd
3rd April 2009, 11:06 PM
any idea on the amount of money needed to build a complete new engine from scratch?
in this climate its good enough they are even still thinking about producing this car.

GAKI86
4th April 2009, 12:48 AM
that image frak posted was just an initial muck up of the new ae86, based on IS200 which is also a spiritual follow up of the ae86..

hmmm 2 door Altessa........ :D

Frak
4th April 2009, 11:21 PM
that image frak posted was just an initial muck up of the new ae86, based on IS200 which is also a spiritual follow up of the ae86..

hmmm 2 door Altessa........ :D

oh yeah how could you go wrong amalagamating two GREAT looking cars......AE86 meets IS200......it would have to be a winner!!!

GAKI86
5th April 2009, 03:39 AM
on the other news germans the had their first ever sprinter meet!!

http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/04/Daimler_Mercedes_Sprinter_City_65.jpg

GAKI86
5th April 2009, 08:35 PM
having a burbler in a toyota?? lol when this car finally comes out, this site would be immigrated by cousins that would be coming in by the dozens... da wrexie is gods gift to us bra...

Frak
5th April 2009, 08:51 PM
I used to say the same thing too...

But I actually own one now...

And its a fucking awesome feeling having the rumble pulse thhrough the car.

I guess you could always make up a set of pipes that join the pulses into a conventional order, 1-3-4-2 :hehe:

Revan
6th April 2009, 03:26 AM
/\/\ yeah that's true, when i moved from country to city NSW nearly 10 years ago i didn't know what "wog" meant and simply knew the original wrx to be something outstanding.

It would be easy for me to assume that the idiots who cruise around with 200 inch chromies scraping and farting out of cannons to be the general wrx crowd, but then it'd also be easy for me to be an idiot and make such assumptions.

anyway back to "NEW OMG 86" thread, the number of us who've posted about it and are INTERESTED IN NEW CARS.... AND have 30g+ to spare would be surely less than 1%

GAKI86
6th April 2009, 11:51 PM
nah your quite close, no im from broady victoria.. hehe it tells all where youre from webmaster.. i guess u dont get that many in your area.. :D

anyone seen bat-leb??

but then again a burbler in the toyota is quite objectionable!!

though not all of us dont have the money but DO mostly own the predecessor car, were only keen of how this car would turn out since its in a partner ship with another "significant" vehicle maker.. let us all keep in mind that in this site we are all cheapskates here, we buy and sell second hand shit for an ever rusting second hand car... :D

Jonny Rochester
7th April 2009, 01:18 AM
What is the best N/A motor Subaru has made so far, and is it on par with a Toyota/Yamaha motor of similar size? Genuine question.

Kid Karola
7th April 2009, 02:47 AM
The 2-cyl from the Subaru Sherpa is unparalleled! ;)

GAKI86
7th April 2009, 01:35 PM
so if this car comes out then it would be just a mass produced 22b with a toyota badge?

there are a fair bit of people that wants that revival car with that raspy revvy sound of an inline 4..

Vance
7th April 2009, 06:00 PM
bat-leb is awesome

i was under the impression that the subaru version is going to be a new sti type r 2 door (22b is a rarer model of these) considering all the talk from subaru that theres going to be a new 2 door wrx coming out.

there are also rumours going around that the higher models with awd will have a switch like in most modern off-road 4wd cars to switch from rwd and awd but this is unconfirmed like most of the bs going around.

Jonny Rochester
7th April 2009, 11:52 PM
I think a 2L boxer motor would probably have the same torque as a 2L strait 4, assuming similar head design. (Similar torque to a 2 litre V8 also, my guess).

4.5AG
8th April 2009, 01:39 AM
Subaru brought out a 2.0L on the MY 06 with 118Kw and 186 NM torque.
The advantage of having the Subaru engine is reliability and intechangeability of engine parts in the Subaru model range.

I mean a 98 GC8 WRX EJ20T engine can be replaced with an 2007 STi 2.5L short block ($2500.00). The EJ20T cylinder heads are direct bolt on.

by the way I own a Subaru Forester XT with MRT kit and a JDM AE86 Trueno.

GAKI86
8th April 2009, 02:07 AM
LOL at webmaster.. sir i pity you for endorsing such brand..

so youre telling me that you dont like the sound of the 4age?

Frak
8th April 2009, 12:26 PM
I think a small lightweight rwd car should be powered by a very high revving engine ;)

greeneyes
8th April 2009, 01:03 PM
1200kg mass from the Subaru Legacy base and 200PS

Might as well just get an Altezza! 1300kg & 210bhp stock.
Hundreds in Auckland now and under $10k! Time a better Govt was voted into power in Aussie!

PuGZoR
9th April 2009, 10:21 AM
IS200's are still up around 15-22k here. We only got the homo 1G powered one's too.

If there is a boxer engine in the 086A and it's anything like the current RS Impreza, count me out. It's horribly slow. Even my mum thought it had piss poor acceleration, and she ended up buying a Civic based on sub-VTEC performance. Mind you we did test the automatic one, which could have been nerfed because of gearing. But god damn it was slow.

I've been looking at boxer engines lately, just as a design, and I must admit there's some advantages to them. Other than the pistons being opposite to each other, you could get the majority of weight of the engine lower I think, because you don't have the head sticking up near the bonnet. Don't know how their sumps and crossmembers are designed, but just saying, it can be a flat engine compared to other conventional piston designs.

*start wild speculation and day dreaming*
Mmmm, wonder if they'd try something new. Maybe a Crower 6-stroke boxer with direct injection? Now that would be interesting! Don't think we'll ever see a Crower 6-stroke though in commercial production, I think companies are trying to find a replacement for the piston engine to increase economy. Too many parts, too much lost energy, too many fluids and processes involved.
*end wild speculation and day dreaming*

Jonny Rochester
9th April 2009, 12:06 PM
The only thing I have ever heard about the "new AE86" that seamed to be from Toyota and believable, was that (if they built it) it would have an unprecedented amount of parts-bin parts.

And Toyota never made a 2ZZ-FE.

But to know what the parts bin holds, you need to know what the 2011 Corolla/Impreza/Yaris/Diahatsu has.

Frak
9th April 2009, 06:55 PM
3sge beams 3sge beams 3sge beams 3sge beams 3sge beams 3sge beams

TAK 2
22nd April 2009, 03:30 PM
GET YOUR HEAD BACK TO WHERE IT SHOULD BE any way i found out what engine the prototype was running on and what they might use in the final product ............ they were using a racing version of the 4age with 2 turbos just to get the power right and the engine that they might use in the final product is an old B16A engine with turbo charger.

TAK 2

driftke70
23rd April 2009, 03:56 PM
they could make the beams emmision compliant

TAK 2
29th April 2009, 02:10 PM
can they use the new helogen lights in the 3sge caseings

LittleRedSpirit
29th April 2009, 02:52 PM
If all interested parties emailed Toyota and told them how exciting a revised ae86 is, then they might make it. I mean the whole TRD brand sold around 5000 cars while it existed. Obviously their market research cant be trusted to reflect what we want. Seems more like TRD Australia was just a big push to make us buy what they were already selling, it failed, and if we all emailed them and told them that, they may consider other options. If they still haven't realised that ford and Holden sell a lot of cars based on the fact that they are FR layout, then we need to tell them. I'm sure a few thousand emails from people expressing interest in purchasing a lightweight, rwd, all Toyota inline 4 coupe, designed for minimum cost and maximum road holding, would cause quite a stir. I mean, I got a personal email back asking further questions, from Toyota's marketing department just for writing them a 2 paragraph rant about how disappointed I was that they were closing trd in Australia without ever offering a true performance platform.

My current personal opinion, we wont get this car, if it even goes into production. I think the project from Toyota and Subaru's perspective has morphed into the Subaru 2 door that seems a more certain option at this time. With the world economy, car makers going bust all around the place, fuel costs increasing and an ever more urgent need for new energy sources to be incorporated into car designs, increased emphasis on vehicle safety required to sell cars at the dealers and turn over the numbers, increased costs of the resources required to manufacture a vehicle, and I'm sure a lot of other things I haven't considered, its never been harder to own and run a massive car maker. This project is easily the kind of thing that could fall by the wayside.

If Toyota wants to proceed in true low budget AE86 swap and adapt style, I'm sure I could be persuaded to go to their parts storage and distribution facility and bolt parts together until I have a competitive enough looking car to start them off from. I'm sure with an IS200 floorpan and a welder, and a decent panel beater, and a billion dollars worth of pre made parts, we could come up with something decent.

Prove me wrong Toyota.

greeneyes
29th April 2009, 06:43 PM
I'm sure with an IS200 floorpan and a welder, and a decent panel beater, and a billion dollars worth of pre made parts, we could come up with something decent.

Haha! I'll come and give you a hand! Drop 250kg out of the Altezza, starting by throwing out the aircon, power steering, ABS and a pile of luxury stuff, then boost its 210bhp to 250!

Kid Karola
29th April 2009, 08:43 PM
the new CO2 emmitions regulations suck balls

greeneyes
29th April 2009, 09:28 PM
Seeing Australia has just set RECORD low temperatures & the Northern hemisphere has just had a particularly cold winter I don't believe CO2 is a pollutant or causing global warming at all!! CO2 has gone up as usual for the last 10years but global temperature has gone down... exit Mr Gore please!

But no-one ever found brains & politicians together...

greeneyes
29th April 2009, 09:42 PM
Ah- those are oxides of nitrogen causing that... CO2 you wouldn't notice.

Kid Karola
29th April 2009, 09:47 PM
I agree global warming is a myth, well it might have gotten increasingly warmer since the last ice age :P but for example 40 degree heat wave in SA this summer, was only just longer then one 80 years ago... what about more then 100 years ago before records were kept?

Kid Karola
29th April 2009, 10:01 PM
maybe because in developing nations (especially one as large and populated as china) they are driving much older and worse polluting vehicles then the 3SGE in question?

Kid Karola
29th April 2009, 10:04 PM
I was about to add the rapid growth in industry in China, India and other smaller nations exploited for labor... but we digress.

NEW RWD FROM TOYOTA!!!

widebody86
30th April 2009, 11:18 PM
looks shivt

pen15
16th May 2009, 09:50 PM
after talking to a bloke working for toyota he said that production will be happening
he said that they will be making the new sprinter from what he told me they will be rocking the new 1.5 ltr with about 150kws at the fly but that's all he could say
i really think this would be a cool car to own the prototypes look alright imho
massive potential to make a crazy machine

driftke70
17th May 2009, 12:17 PM
carbon doesnt effect temperature, the temperature changes the amount of carbon that can be supported in the atmosphere. simple science,
o2 is a light molecule that can only just support itself to a certain point, like when you reach roughly 4k up, like Everest it cant hang around, co2 is a much heavier molecule, what makes people think it can go higher, and sit around longer?

TAK 2
21st May 2009, 03:26 PM
When is it coming out please i need to know

letsgohunting
21st May 2009, 05:16 PM
When is it coming out please i need to know

4th march 2010 it's due for release in the toyota HQ, tokyo.

Not really, I have no idea.

quadeyquade
22nd May 2009, 01:02 AM
December 21st 2012

OH SHI-

PuGZoR
22nd May 2009, 09:43 AM
21st of Feb, 2012 would be better. 21022012. Better check that the hyperflux capacitor's are all charged and ready to rock...

driftke70
22nd May 2009, 11:56 AM
December 21st 2012

OH SHI-

haha

fucking lol

TAK 2
25th May 2009, 01:41 PM
Can somebody tell me the right date

driftke70
26th May 2009, 01:27 PM
even if they said it was set in stone dude, it would differ by at least a year.

AE86DORI
27th May 2009, 02:18 AM
haha 21st of dec 2012..

would be an epic day

TAK 2
27th May 2009, 02:52 PM
thanks for that but i wish it would come sooner

djscheppy
1st June 2009, 01:39 PM
You sir, are pure evil.

4th march 2010 it's due for release in the toyota HQ, tokyo.

Not really, I have no idea.

Sam-Q
2nd June 2009, 01:01 PM
I dount like the idea of a boxer engine because of the torque delivery. I could be wrong here but the opposed design doesnt favor a good port angle at all which means the result is a curved intake port. This would lead to lower air speeds and therefore better used for mid range power than top end. Funny enough this is how all the subaru engines felt like that I have experienced. Personally if I have a light and nible sporty car I would like a revvy engine with power up top. I know the advantages in a horizonally opposed design, its just not my personal choice

Kamikaze
3rd June 2009, 10:59 PM
I really expect this 4cylinder boxer engine will also include a current Toyota's most advance engine spec, too. I hope it will be a mid-high rev engine, producing quite an acceptable performance for a 2.0L NA engine; like 200ps...@6-7000rpm. 6AT & 6MT can also be expected. Characteristic of this new one should be a fun to drive car, LSD & Similar suspension system are a must. Brake system should also equip with a performance set. All current advance tech should also be included into this car, like those convenient equipments. Seat materials are Toyota's sport ideal: Fabric, Leather or maybe a factory Recaro set?

Sam-Q
4th June 2009, 02:51 PM
200ps with the ports that most subaru's have? I can't see it happening without it being a total pig

Kamikaze
4th June 2009, 03:47 PM
I think it may be involved with Tax & Pricing of the car. Its price floor is quite low, so if power output is very high, the value perceived will raise a higher pricing of the car. And also Euro5 is really a pain, which limits all cars performance for a better emission.

sun_moon
4th June 2009, 04:42 PM
I Honestly don't see them going to all the trouble of using a boxer if they are going to leave it as N/A...

Like... Subaru are meeting CURRENT emissions on turbo motors.

That would not be a factor. Besides, first n/a australian AE86 that rolls off the line will probably end up with a Rigoli house EJ25 sitting in it anyways.

sadly what nick said would be true if it came out with an NA boxer engine.

ae86 would become the latest ULEH machine.... cant wait to see the new ae86s cruising chapel street and other idiot meeting places.

AE86DORI
4th June 2009, 07:30 PM
sadly what nick said would be true if it came out with an NA boxer engine.

ae86 would become the latest ULEH machine.... cant wait to see the new ae86s cruising chapel street and other idiot meeting places.

whats with you and uleh, and dissing out a race?

get over yourself dude.

anyways i dont think it will be turbo but we will see.

Gusto
4th June 2009, 11:27 PM
21st of Feb, 2012 would be better. 21022012. Better check that the hyperflux capacitor's are all charged and ready to rock...

Japanese use year/month/day. So the 20th of December 2012 would be 2012/12/20 - not quite reversable but pretty close.

quadeyquade
8th June 2009, 08:32 PM
I still think this car will cause the apocalypse

GAKI86
10th June 2009, 04:07 AM
whats with you and uleh, and dissing out a race?

get over yourself dude.

anyways i dont think it will be turbo but we will see.

Nay for Turbz bra, 4L NA is teh way, think mx5 think s2000 put a levin/trueno badge in and bam!!!

lol yea sun moon stop bieng racist you multi-cultured asian (sic)

so any aussies here wear kappa trackies? with a bum bag?

Sam-Q
10th June 2009, 10:32 AM
a liftback mx5 sounds good, no heavy convertable for me.

TAK 2
10th June 2009, 03:09 PM
You guys have it all wrong it should be across between the trueno and the 350z and with the 4ag racing engine now that would be a car

kaibeecee
15th June 2009, 04:54 PM
You guys have it all wrong it should be across between the trueno and the 350z and with the 4ag racing engine now that would be a car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7m_IBX-Yo

Kamikaze
15th June 2009, 05:12 PM
i think it should be between Celica & MR2 with no convertible. Not a roadster..

flamingheads
15th June 2009, 11:06 PM
carbon doesnt effect temperature, the temperature changes the amount of carbon that can be supported in the atmosphere. simple science,
o2 is a light molecule that can only just support itself to a certain point, like when you reach roughly 4k up, like Everest it cant hang around, co2 is a much heavier molecule, what makes people think it can go higher, and sit around longer?

I believe the problem is more that carbon CO2 sits down low (or anywhere).
CO2 is a greenhouse gas.
Greenhouse gasses trap heat in our atmosphere.
Thus the globe is warmed. :thumbup:

flamingheads
15th June 2009, 11:13 PM
maybe because in developing nations (especially one as large and populated as china) they are driving much older and worse polluting vehicles then the 3SGE in question?

Chinas cars can only be on the road till theyre like 15 years old.
No 80's shizzle here.
I think it's more the factories and their lack of regulations.

Jake
16th June 2009, 05:26 PM
on a positive note if it did come out with a boxer. which in all likely hood it will at least there is an aftermarket already established for those motors.

84AE86
16th June 2009, 06:16 PM
if it does come out when they say it will, you wont be able to put an older EJ25 in it anyway, you will have to put one in that is newer then the car, because Australian law will not allow an older engine in a newer model car for emissions reasons. the emission standards of the engine that goes in must be equal to or better then those the car came out with.

GAKI86
17th June 2009, 09:49 AM
if they cues from this sketch then i would be sooo happy

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs5/i/2004/306/9/d/AE86_Sketch_by_ddsoul.jpg

todd
18th June 2009, 04:57 AM
http://www.7tune.com/i-saw-the-toyota-086a/

take from it what you will.

driftke70
18th June 2009, 06:13 AM
pretty sexy

PuGZoR
18th June 2009, 09:00 AM
Lord, I'd be suprised if they offer such a good looking car so cheaply. No one would buy higher end cars if their cheapies looked the goods, lol.

Jake
18th June 2009, 11:45 AM
wonder what Toyota Australia / Subaru is going to charge hope they don't decide to run it in the 40,000-46,000 hot hatch price range.

sub 35,000 this car would be a steal.

PuGZoR
22nd June 2009, 08:39 AM
God damn I'm thick. It only just clicked to me that the A on the end of 086A may have meant from the start it was meant to be a Celica. Maybe it's going to have an "0" or "o" series engine, one we've never seen before? Maybe that's the designation they're giving to the boxer?

7Tune now reckons there might be a Supra replacement on the way too. Hybrid and whale/tree killing versions to be available.

http://www.7tune.com/2011-hybrid-supra-successor/

Tical86
25th June 2009, 07:53 PM
it's actually not that bad, usually i hate the newer "smoother, rounder" cars but this one still keeps some of the details of the 86, n it looks alright

toyoda
28th June 2009, 12:45 AM
the car hasnt even had the body work done yet, so those renders are nothing to go from.

Kid Karola
28th June 2009, 04:54 AM
if they cues from this sketch then i would be sooo happy

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs5/i/2004/306/9/d/AE86_Sketch_by_ddsoul.jpg

That is a pretty lame sketch, even a 1st year design student could do better concept. I think any actual auto designer would shit all over it! On paper it should look like it's jumping off the page, let alone if it was done in Alias or the like.

GAKI86
28th June 2009, 06:49 AM
dont all preliminary sketches are meant to be lame?? besides that just an artsy fartsy personal rendition from some dude at devart..

but i still reckon its hella cool.. for its smooth yet has its wedgy ness.. look at the civic type r!! @_@

Frak
28th June 2009, 05:03 PM
That is a pretty lame sketch, even a 1st year design student could do better concept. I think any actual auto designer would shit all over it! On paper it should look like it's jumping off the page, let alone if it was done in Alias or the like.

I have done no uni design course, completely self taught, what do you think of this?

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2998/28062009.jpg (http://img188.imageshack.us/i/28062009.jpg/)

Kid Karola
28th June 2009, 09:33 PM
Now that*s more like it!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

side exit pipe is sick ass :P

Kid Karola
29th June 2009, 09:43 PM
Jokes aside, it looks ammiature because there is no sureness of line and the shading looks like it was done in MS paint. There's a reason why some people do this for a living. Just an example... "Supra" concepts

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/12/frontsketch.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/12/rearsketch.jpg

but there wouldn't be any official drawings like this released (i.e. Toyota design studio) until a fullsize prototype is exhibited at Detroit, Frankfurt, Geneva or Tokyo motor show, by which time the design stage will be 2-3 years gone.

focus_7
29th June 2009, 11:34 PM
Lol It has been to a motor show and it was posted (http://www.7tune.com/2011-hybrid-supra-successor/) a by someone a few posts up.

Kid Karola
29th June 2009, 11:46 PM
yes I know... the FT-HS was from like 2006 and the sketches above are preceed that by a year or two, yet the Supra is due in 2011 so gives you a rough timeline from concept to production.
And my point was that the 086A pics thus far are speculative at this stage, and by the time the masses see it, it will be years.

sundee
30th June 2009, 11:39 PM
all i have to say is if they put an EJ engine in this i rather see toyota set their drawings on fire right now
Its one engine i can honestly say is rank! the 2.5L in the new WRX is a little better than its 2.0 brother... joint project.. whatever i needs an inline 4cyl and it needs to be turbo. end of story or a 2.5L NA with individual throttle bodies. boxer engines belong in VW beetles and dirty porsche's.

Frak
30th June 2009, 11:43 PM
I really hope it's not a boxer, a 2 litre inline 4, with vvtl-i, quad throttles, extremely high rpm limit, rwd, lsd, 6 speed(sequential;)) box, light flywheel, fuck off huge brakes would be my choice

GAKI86
1st July 2009, 04:42 AM
^^ many people would agree to that, otherwise its a tradition lost and have to drive a mass produced 22b lebcart. toyota really needs this as something to play tango with the ongoing mx5 s2000 bloodline.. a car that sneezes makes me feel like chargin mah lazerz SHOOOOOOOOOP DA SHUTTUTUTUTUSHHHHHHHHHHH@@@@@

PuGZoR
1st July 2009, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't be suprised if they're going to offer the 086A in Hybrid form. I think Toyota is still very much on the green bandwagon and within say 5-10 years, all new cars they produce will have a hybrid version.

If they spend a lot of money getting a good shape and overall design happening (inc weight distro, suspension setup, etc), I can really see them offering a buttload of engine combos.

Lower end will probably have naturally aspirated petrol with basic trim and manual. (this is the one we're hoping isn't retarded, because this is the one the young buggers [us] will be hoping for, and the closest they're going to get to the 2m Yen target)

Petrol and diesel in your mid section with an upgraded trim, maybe body coloured handles, fog lights, etc. Might be in for a different grill if you're lucky.

High end will vary between three different models I reckon. You'll have a high performance turbo petrol available with nice "race inspired" trim and option of a spoiler and bigger mags, maybe a slightly more aggressive suspension package. There'll also be a super green Hybrid version with a more conservative interior based on the mid range model, floaty comfortable suspension, but probably come standard with decent audio, etc. Finally there'll be a turbo diesel which will kind of try to be a halfway point between super green and pure performance. Probably a sporty-ish interior, for those who are socially conscious but still want a sports car anyway. The turbo petrol and turbo diesel will come in 6spd manual or 6spd tiptronic, while the hybrid would come with just plain 6spd auto.

I think Toyota will be trying to milk as much as they can out of their newer platforms. Instead of making a platform for a market, they'll be trying to just modify their platforms to cater for multiple markets. It's the only way they'd be able to justify making a RWD, if they can adapt it to appeal to everyone and not just for a niche (as passionate as they may be).

The real trick is to make a unisex car that can be marketed to everyone, but I think Toyota have been trying to do this lately with all of their designs. Not making them look overall girly or masculine (other than commercials), but trying to achieve a middle ground, so they don't retard it for half the population if they go one way or another. Mind you, it probably has to be tweakable, so that they can make a sports level car look aggressive without changing the shape drastically, maybe the addition of a body kit that completely transforms the car into something you'd see at home on a track.

If they can cater for A to B drivers and enthusiasts in a single model, they'll hit the nail on the head and make it a viable production car.

Just my 2c. :)

sundee
1st July 2009, 10:21 AM
I really hope it's not a boxer, a 2 litre inline 4, with vvtl-i, quad throttles, extremely high rpm limit, rwd, lsd, 6 speed(sequential;)) box, light flywheel, fuck off huge brakes would be my choice

Amen to that brotha!! now thats something i would look at buying :yeah:
but frak dont say boxer engine any more it make me cringe! :S

kaibeecee
1st July 2009, 11:53 AM
^^ many people would agree to that, otherwise its a tradition lost and have to drive a mass produced 22b lebcart. toyota really needs this as something to play tango with the ongoing mx5 s2000 bloodline.. a car that sneezes makes me feel like chargin mah lazerz SHOOOOOOOOOP DA SHUTTUTUTUTUSHHHHHHHHHHH@@@@@

in a non 4chan-retarded verison of english?

they'll only produce it if they know they can recoup losses. they're not throwing a whole lot of performance fruit into a car that is expected to sell for less than $20,000.

its either:
you pay alot and get alot
you pay little and get less

personally, i'd perfer the latter. i'd rather a cheap car, which i wouldn't mind voiding whatever warranty by bolting on a/market parts.

everyone will have to sacrifice. and big f-off brakes and an LSD can wait until the aftermarket sector is populated. which wouldn't be long.

driftke70
1st July 2009, 07:17 PM
but pete, spending money on cars? heaven forbid

GAKI86
2nd July 2009, 10:04 AM
kaibeecee.. sorry dood but i did not get a single word that came out of your post...

which my post was my personal disapproval of it bieng a 22b.. 2 door subaru wrx w/boxer (could be na too :S)

it may be highly likely that toyota will release this car as they have kept a lot of people waiting for a 2 door real sports car...otherwise toyota will wholefully abandon all of its sports car line up and become a full time family car maker like ford/holden.. so yes, affordable rwd light weight car is really sell able!!

as for your argument about going for pay less and get less?? wouldn't it be the after market parts be treated as "specialty" item, the car would be in its infancy in the market??
eg: garage houses would have to do a bit of RnD meaning them sacrificing $$$... not to mention the revisions to make it more appealing to the upcoming owners.. so it takes time to make it more affordable :D

kaibeecee
2nd July 2009, 12:14 PM
kaibeecee.. sorry dood but i did not get a single word that came out of your post...\

I'm not even going to bother with this. wow. read it again.

which my post was my personal disapproval of it bieng a 22b.. 2 door subaru wrx w/boxer (could be na too :S)

I noticed, but you crapped on about a 22b 'lebcart' and continuing a tradition. I think people should be thankful that they even considered producing any kind of a follow up. and they can mass produce the shit out of it for all i care cause it would hopefully bring the cost down.

it may be highly likely that toyota will release this car as they have kept a lot of people waiting for a 2 door real sports car...otherwise toyota will wholefully abandon all of its sports car line up and become a full time family car maker like ford/holden.. so yes, affordable rwd light weight car is really sell able!!

it's already in pre-production testing, and they've listed a production date. what more do you need?

as for your argument about going for pay less and get less?? wouldn't it be the after market parts be treated as "specialty" item, the car would be in its infancy in the market??
eg: garage houses would have to do a bit of RnD meaning them sacrificing $$$... not to mention the revisions to make it more appealing to the upcoming owners.. so it takes time to make it more affordable :D

What?

You're stating the obvious. Of course the shops have to spend money to R&D shit, thats called business. tooling costs money. and you have to spend it to make it. and this day in age, any kind of a/market parts for new cars are expensive. but the prices are comparable. you'd pay less for a silvia. its an old car. part prices reflect it. new car, more expensive, therefore, prices will be high.

i wish people would just harden up and learn to accept that it's being built at all, and with a flat-4. slave over it and put your 4AGE in it if you're such a purist.

beal - ebay? thats where all the quality is. ha

GAKI86
2nd July 2009, 05:35 PM
and what is a "follow up"??? what like mx5 to rx7?? so youre saying that its all carved in stone its whole fully boxer powered? not to mention they many even scrape this plan!! look at the verossa!!! it came out and never did well, because it tasted like chicken!!

so what is the point for going for the aftermarket parts where you can get the oem "juice" parts? where it may come to a close price?

son your keyboard fighting skills fails me

Frak
2nd July 2009, 06:21 PM
I really hope it's a retro look ae86, like the current Mustang is a retro look to a 67 Mustang, the new challenger, the camaro etc.........I really hope they make it look like an AE86 if you know what I mean.

sundee
2nd July 2009, 06:26 PM
ohh the new camaro! i want i want~:wub:

Kid Karola
2nd July 2009, 07:51 PM
Automoive Addicts had these in addition to the images from 7tune. The top one nails the look!

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/toyota-086a-coupe-in-magazine.jpg

This still looks like a Yaris and Focus mash up to me
http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/2012-toyota-086a-560.jpg

kaibeecee
2nd July 2009, 11:11 PM
here we go again, this time for the cheap seats...

and what is a "follow up"??? what like mx5 to rx7?? so youre saying that its all carved in stone its whole fully boxer powered? not to mention they many even scrape this plan!! look at the verossa!!! it came out and never did well, because it tasted like chicken!!

OK, princeton university defines 'follow up' here;
http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=follow-up

# S: (n) follow-up, followup (a piece of work that exploits or builds on earlier work) "his new software is a follow-up to the programs they started with"

OK, Toyota insiders have confirmed it. it's all over automotive press in japan. i've seen it. and when questioned by 'Best car' magazine, a Toyota boss stated the boxer engine was being used, taking the Toyota/Subaru relationship to the next level.

the Verossa never did well because it was overpriced. people could have bought prior model Crowns for less! but thats irrelevant.

so what is the point for going for the aftermarket parts where you can get the oem "juice" parts? where it may come to a close price?

oh god.

would you take a OS Giken clutch over a stock ae86 one? coilover suspension over OEM "juice"? I'd rather wait for the aftermarket because the part quality is better and more orientated to how most enthusiasts would want to use the car.

what you don't understand the most, is that the car is being kept to a budget much like the AE86 was. a budget sports coupe. ($25,000 or less). you're just not going to see 4-pot brakes and whatnot on a $20,000 car!!! no matter what!

fighting? i'm stating facts here man. you're obviously a kid. can you comprehend what i'm trying to say or would you like it in audio format?

Kid Karola
2nd July 2009, 11:34 PM
Rumour has it there will be an SUV version due to public demand...

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3124/8rh5.jpg

JJ

Tim.duncan
3rd July 2009, 01:24 AM
ha ha that is the coolest ute i have ever seen! needs a massive roo bar 10 spotties and 6 arials and a bundy sticker!

i hope this is a cool car, the missus will need her car replaced in the next few years and would be hektic to get her the 86. i can have the old she can have the new

PuGZoR
3rd July 2009, 10:20 AM
Lol @ ute version. Milk the platform yo! Maybe have a wagon version too, for carrying all your bitches in. :D

driftke70
3rd July 2009, 08:55 PM

dude you gotta be on acid or something

GAKI86
6th July 2009, 03:22 AM
ok mr knowledgeable i want it in audio in 10 different language.. :D

and yes being on acid arent good for my toes they would melt..

TAK 2
7th July 2009, 07:49 PM
I'v found out from one of my sources that toyota has gotten all the trd gang together to make their last car based on the ae86. Picture this 450 bhp, 6 pot brakes, racing diff's, racing transmission, full racing weight reduction, koing rewinds, faulken racing tires and a racing turbo but dont quote me on that i dont even know where he got this from so could some one find out if this is true.

thanks TAK 2

PuGZoR
14th July 2009, 12:45 PM
Clicky (http://www.7tune.com/toyota-086a-to-debut-at-tokyo-motorshow/).

According to 7Tune, the 086A will be on display at the Toyota Motor Show in October. Whether it's demonstrated as a concept or a production prototype will be the million dollar question.

cky767
14th July 2009, 05:01 PM
Im pretty confident that I would buy one when/if they are released, like the look of them, pretty cool daily really and cheap as chips

benno93
15th July 2009, 01:03 AM
why pay $12000us for a daily. yes its a new car.
but you can get an 86 and "soop" it up and use that as a daily for the same price, if not cheaper.
makes no sense to me

cky767
15th July 2009, 09:20 AM
yeh but sometimes its nicer to get a daily that you dont have to worry about, maybe you might be buying it for the mrs to drive around, maybe you want something you could drive every single day without any stress that something could give in, relatively maintenance free and factory warranty and servicing is always a nice thing if your busy

PuGZoR
15th July 2009, 09:55 AM
benno, you have no idea do you? Believe it or not, it's actually kind of nice having a reliable car that doesn't have clunks and rattles, and that you don't have to worry about random things dying on you due to age and wear. Yes, it's worth paying through the arse for that kind of piece of mind.

Course_Out
15th July 2009, 03:00 PM
I don't think a rwd sport coupe for the price of a Swift Sport or Fiesta xr4 is particularly expensive. The cheapest RWD sports car atm is the mx5 and its still $45k and as practical as a chocolate teapot

I would happily have one as a daily and weekend track car if it ticks the right boxes as far as suspension geometry is concerned

cky767
15th July 2009, 03:46 PM
couldnt agree more with the last two comments, if the car is set up properly and the quality is good then i can see it being a new edition to oour family, mentioned it to the mrs last night and she gave it the nod if it comes out in Aus :)

GAKI86
15th July 2009, 10:58 PM
well lets just hope that it wouldnt vaporise like new torana..

Sam-Q
15th July 2009, 11:16 PM
the MK5 Supra also comes to mind

PuGZoR
16th July 2009, 09:54 AM
The more and more I think about this, the more I'm having trouble finding reasons why it couldn't happen.

True, FWD is the cheapest option if you want to pop out a car. There's no denying this. Since there's less driveline loss too, it's not hard to get decent power figures from this too.

But, the one thing that gives me hope is the current model IS250. Yep, Lexus mid-sized RWD for $56,000. Now that's a Lexus, not another brand. You're paying for a lot of premium extras when you get the nice L badge on your new car. Cut those out and a larger marketing % of sales cost, and you've got a Toyota on your hands for 30% less to the end consumer. That's just under 40k. Put a smaller donk in it that's tried and true, which has been paid off already by development amortization in previous vehicles (2ZZ or Boxer, take your pick) and bam, you knock another 5k off the asking price. Share the platform between a couple of marques to get more base units out, and more money comes off what they need to break even.

Suddenly the sub-30k area isn't looking so impossible. Granted as in my previous posts in this thread or the other, this would probably only be a basic model with few luxuries, but still has an appeal to anyone who values a bit of cleanliness and reliability over pure outright performance. When the warranty runs out, they might just want to add a few TRD parts to it too, or during the warranty if TRD parts won't void it. :)

Vance
17th July 2009, 11:20 PM
http://www.7tune.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/toyota_subaru_086a_1.jpg

that concept is the best looking yet

GAKI86
18th July 2009, 01:28 PM
how about it look a bit like this one...:S
http://www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2008/losangeles/coverage/images/hyundai_genesis_coupe/hyundai_genesis_coupe_0_430.jpg

4000GT
18th July 2009, 05:14 PM
Chinas cars can only be on the road till theyre like 15 years old.
No 80's shizzle here.
I think it's more the factories and their lack of regulations.

Clearly you have never been to China, half the cars there are 20 year old VW's.

PuGZoR
20th July 2009, 10:01 AM
GAKI86, that's the Genesis coupe isn't it? The Hyundies badge looks a little out of place on it doesn't it? Lol. Other than the rear quarter glass (looks odd in that shot) it really doesn't look that bad. Needs dish though. :P Not the biggest fan of that front bumper either, but meh, still not the worst looking car. The Nissan Micra has made me appreciate the designs from the 80's, they may be boxy and funky now but at least they don't look like a Micra.

Kid Karola
20th July 2009, 09:43 PM
I think Hyundai realised after it's attempt of building a budget sport Coupé and Tiburon, what we have all known for a long time... FWD SUCKS!
http://www.autosportaltena.nl/FWD%20sucks.jpg
With the Genesis they really got the jump on Toyota in the market segment, 300hp 2l turbo, LSD etc and if you have seen the campain flash video on their website featuring a sliding tyre smoking Genisis and even getting US Drifter Rhys Millen on board with Red Bull sponsorship.
But if Toyota get around to doing this 086A thing, I'd bet on it putting the Hyundai to shame.

PuGZoR
21st July 2009, 09:52 AM
I think Hyundai realised after it's attempt of building a budget sport Coupé and Tiburon, what we have all known for a long time...
http://www.autosportaltena.nl/FWD%20sucks.jpg
With the Genesis they really got the jump on Toyota in the market segment, 300hp 2l turbo, LSD etc and if you have seen the campain flash video on their website featuring a sliding tyre smoking Genisis and even getting US Drifter Rhys Millen on board with Red Bull sponsorship.
But if Toyota get around to doing this 086A thing, I'd bet on it putting the Hyundai to shame.

The Genesis comes with a 3.8L V6 doesn't it too? Depending on what trim, etc you get. The 2L turbo really does appeal to the import market though.

Genesis Pricing Model (http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/GenesisCoupe/pricing/pricing.aspx)

USD$22k (AU$30k?) gets you a 2.0L turbo RWD with LSD, BRAND NEW. True, it's a Hyundai, but it's still tempting is it not? If you've got an extra ~AU$10k, you can even roll up to the highest-spec model, a 3.8L V6 with all the creature comforts.

Proves it can be done, but if Toyota produced it they'd smash Hyundai with brand image. Don't know if it's sustainable for 4 or more marques to be in this market, but 2 or 3 should be alright.

joeschmo_57
21st July 2009, 07:26 PM
if the new ae86 has forced induction of anytype, it will be a cool car.

kaibeecee
21st July 2009, 11:20 PM
I'v found out from one of my sources that toyota has gotten all the trd gang together to make their last car based on the ae86. Picture this 450 bhp, 6 pot brakes, racing diff's, racing transmission, full racing weight reduction, koing rewinds, faulken racing tires and a racing turbo but dont quote me on that i dont even know where he got this from so could some one find out if this is true.

thanks TAK 2

quoted for obvious reasons, this one needs to be preserved

TAK 2
22nd July 2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks for saying that KAIBEECEE

enigma
22nd July 2009, 03:12 PM
if this car ever comes out it will most likely be a big disappointment. everyone will build up the expectation that it will be the best thing since sliced bread. but the thing is its based on a subaru. and like the old saying says you cant make a silk purse from a pigs scrotum. sure you can make a nice leather coin pouch but thats it

cky767
22nd July 2009, 05:26 PM
wtf are you on? Subaru have made plenty of nice vehicles, we have an 09 liberty and i couldnt fault it. your saying it will be a big dissaapointment but on what grounds? dont mean to be rude but just cant see how you have come up with this theory that it will be crap?

enigma
22nd July 2009, 06:40 PM
driven liberty b4 bi turbo, subaru forester, subaru outbacks, standard libertys, was never really fussed with them. i said it will be a dissapointmebt in that i dont believe it will exceed peoples expectations in that it is being built up so much. i dont believe i ever said it would be crap but i could be mistaken

Gunner
22nd July 2009, 06:40 PM
how true, there is a reason subaru's are one of the biggest sellers in the market, and thats not because they are shit.

Given the early girls do leave a little to be desired (sorry nick) but when you consider the possibilites of the later models, with the ability to reflash the ecus, the plethora of aftermarket parts, and parts compatability between models, they are one of the best marques on the road to date, and always will be.

And for all of you bagging the boxer engine, if you do not understand how it works, and why it is such a good motor, shut up. I'm sorry but I would take a high comp, direct injection boxer, over a tempermental inline 4 that was built for a budget corolla on a budget.

Boxers are capable of producing, gob loads of torque, more than any inline 4 will, and for a low cost performance vehicle there is no better choice, then you consider the low center of gravity, in a rwd platform, to anyone with half a clue about what makes a good car will realise, that it is a winning formula.

cky767
22nd July 2009, 07:00 PM
to quote
"and like the old saying says you cant make a silk purse from a pigs scrotum. sure you can make a nice leather coin pouch but thats it"

pretty sure that is hedging towards the idea that it would be of poor quality.

sure it might not exceed some people expectations but Im pretty certain some peoples expectations also dont take into consideration that its not a 40k+ vehicle, its going to be 22k U.S. so its not gonna have all the electrickery like seat warmers and ball massagers that some people might want.

Not aiming to start a mud slinging match here but I cant agree with gunner and many other people on here more. Subaru have proven themselves time and time again for build quality and reliability that people have grown to love. IMO nothing wrong with modern subaru's at all, and im all for the idea of a boxer engine.

End of the day, its just your opinion which you are entitled too, and this is just mine :)

enigma
22nd July 2009, 07:33 PM
you seem like a smart man cky767. but i believe the toyota engineers said its(the subaru base) suspension is "weak". what i meant was if you start with a design meant for 4wd however good the original car is it wont better than a car purely designed with rwd in mind. i have nothing against boxer engines. i believe the drive train has more of an influence on whether a car feels torqy or not

Gunner
22nd July 2009, 11:47 PM
at the end of the day, two of the worlds best auto manufacturers, are building the people its sports car again.

Seriously, I'm not having a dig at anyone in particular, but what do 99% of the worlds population know about designing, and mass producing vehicles. Nothing, but every so called enthusiast, can't just accept that it will be a good tunable platform.

Why sit there and cry about it, take it for what it is. A sports car for the masses.
Keeping our dream alive.

jay70
23rd July 2009, 12:28 AM

thanks TAK 2

rofl. who is your source? gran tourismo?

cky767
23rd July 2009, 09:37 AM
End of the day enigma its all in good fun :) and I guess all we can do is wait and see how it turns out eh. At this stage I think there is alot of assumption going on but the truth of the matter is that most people, apart from the people involved in designing and building, know diddly squat about it. we are all going off heresay and personal opinions

PuGZoR
23rd July 2009, 11:19 AM
Gotta think too, if Toyota built a cheap RWD car that ends up being popular, it doesn't matter what gear it has in it, what motor it uses, etc. Any problems it does have can be fixed by aftermarket services and/or products. :) Might not be perfect in production spec, but throw on a few light mods and you can make anything sporty these days.

As long as they don't rebrand the Tata Nano as the 086A, I find it hard to stuff up a car really bad.

Oh Nick, earlier in the year my mum was hunting for a new car and we test drove the 09 Impreza. It had horrible performance! Probably had retarded drive ratios or something, but it was very disappointing. Well put together car though, have to give it that. Mind you, if it was RWD and manual (we tested an Auto) I'd still considering buying it. Just throw an EJ25T in it down the track after warranty runs out. :)

greeneyes
23rd July 2009, 06:45 PM
Subaru have proven themselves time and time again for build quality and reliability that people have grown to love.

Not like my wheel alignment tech who told me his one has had two motors and a pair of gearboxes over the years... and that was in NZ where cars are very much more modern and cheaper than here in Aussie.

I wouldn't touch it with a Subaru engine, and I would've thought Australians would have learnt from the time all the manufactuerers here were swapping brand names twenty years ago.. it just led to confusion and more cost.

The proof will be in the numbers of people signing cheques for it, nothing else counts.

kaibeecee
23rd July 2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks for saying that KAIBEECEE

well how could i not, you've clearly got the best hook ups in the industry.

kaibeecee
23rd July 2009, 09:44 PM
I've said it a hundred times...

People who bag out Subarus have never driven one.

i've driven one.

lets just say i wouldn't again. i like my synchros to remain intact after 45,000kms. they're a muted feeling like most other newish cars, only more parts to break.

xsoarerx
24th July 2009, 05:20 PM
http://www.7tune.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/toyota_subaru_086a_1.jpg

that concept is the best looking yet

that looks pretty good for the new supra ;)

driftke70
25th July 2009, 11:16 AM
subuaru are really vague in the steering too, like the power steering doesnt know what it wants to do, other than that, they are just a bit wierd for me. They do make solid cars, but the problems with gear boxes and diffs just doesnt do it for me.

How it goes with a different rwd platform and what nay is anyones guess, if they use a normal rex box, its going to have less strain on it and the clutch the its 4wd buddies.

Kid Karola
25th July 2009, 11:28 AM
Subaru drive train isn't inherently weak, when it gets abused it breaks.

Kid Karola
25th July 2009, 11:35 AM
exactly, T50's blow and axles twist from "mighty" 4AGE's... let alone what I've seen happen to Nissan GTR boxes and diff's (and S13-4 notorious 3rd gear) At the end of the day any component has it's limits.

on a side note, last year before I took off overseas I was looking at updating my daily (IS200). After speaking to people who'd owned both WRX's and Evo's, I drove Evo 9 and STI (GD '07) back to back. Although the EVO was maybe an ompteenth quicker and more raw, it felt so cheap and nasty (if I'd paid 55K I would've felt robbed!) The 5 Year warranty Mitsubishi offered was tempting. The STI was so much better finished and nicer to live with, although a Liberty B4 would have been even more so. Also I know Subaru service mechanics don't take mods very lightly and I don't think I could have restrained myself. Didn't end up choosing either, but it wasn't because of drive-line frailties.

driftke70
28th July 2009, 10:40 PM
have done a rally course, the guy there drives the things on basically slick mud feilds all day at 40kph all day teaching people to rally drive, and says he has a shed full of broken gearboxes and diff centers. the cars have like 260hp and are driven pretty soft, on dirt, with baldish tyres, i agree what you say nick about stiff clutches and stuff, but i believe there to be a difference between, RAPING A CAR, and raping a car, ive managed to flog cars for years and basically have zero failures, others i know do lesser things and fuck shit up. Like you can drop a clutch into wheelspin smoothly etc.

R&D Mechanical
29th July 2009, 11:16 PM
um...Back to the New AE86.

If this car is like any modern toyota it will be soo mega shit house it isnt funny.

Mr Awsome
6th August 2009, 11:24 PM
my mates a subaru mechanic and he says its not the boxes that go its some transfer input thingo cant exactly remember its name. he says its 99% of the time from young dick heads trying to do "laurnch burnouts" and laurnching there wrxs like rocket ships on bitchumen. there drive line is realy only designed for gravel and dirt roads where the wheels dont grip so well, thus not straining the drive line so much when thrashed.

thats what hes told me and hes been working on them for a long time.

Sam-Q
7th August 2009, 09:37 PM
well let me put that info into another point of view, the main power transfer shaft runs past the diff and it reduces in diameter considerably, not only that but with steps, stress raiser anyone? This causes shaft flex and lets the gears pull away from each other under load. Hoons might be breaking them but its the inexplicable design that is the failure point. I would of thought they would adapt the 6 speed thats used on the rx7/altezza box on the end of it though?

ArbPotatoes
17th August 2009, 04:46 PM
Anyone seen the claims that it's going to be tuned down to run more economically?

PuGZoR
18th August 2009, 10:05 AM
That was the latest from 7Tune, if their articles are true. (They mostly report from the Japanese magazines that post rumours)

Apparently the EJ20 has been detuned to 160PS. Sounds like it's going to be a very mod-worthy car though if that's the case, big gains with little spending. Plug'n'play ECU, exhaust, intake, and that should be up around 220PS pretty easily, since apparently it was meant to be 200PS from factory prior to their emissions detuning.

ArbPotatoes
18th August 2009, 04:40 PM
At least Toyota/Subaru would be supporting aftermarket mod companies :)

I still want a 2.2L Toyota motor as an option or something...

Gunner
18th August 2009, 05:06 PM
you won't get it, australia will only see a subi version of this car.

ArbPotatoes
18th August 2009, 09:06 PM
Are there any speculations on what the difference will be? Just different badges?

bunt@
19th August 2009, 07:22 PM
i've driven one.

lets just say i wouldn't again. i like my synchros to remain intact after 45,000kms. they're a muted feeling like most other newish cars, only more parts to break.

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Funny, cos my 2003 WRX has 136000km's and I've never touched on the gearbox :sunnies:

Oh and I race the car at the track, drags and Gymkhana :rolleyes:

subuaru are really vague in the steering too, like the power steering doesnt know what it wants to do, other than that, they are just a bit wierd for me. They do make solid cars, but the problems with gear boxes and diffs just doesnt do it for me.

How it goes with a different rwd platform and what nay is anyones guess, if they use a normal rex box, its going to have less strain on it and the clutch the its 4wd buddies.

I think you're confusing UNDERSTEER with limited response... Understeer is you freind at high speeds :thumbup:
But then again it's also a AWD trait so chances of a RWD car having that are unlikely to nil :thumbup:

I say toybaru should just release the darn thing already !!!!!
I can't wait :cries:

Vance
20th August 2009, 11:29 PM
you won't get it, australia will only see a subi version of this car.

yep only available as a toyota in japan.

detuned is fine, it makes a dyno tune more worthwhile. people will be dropping 2.5L and 3L boxers in them anyway. this is australia, we love larger engine swaps.

Kid Karola
27th August 2009, 02:00 AM
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but the initial 7-Tune renderings and supposed spy shots bear a remarkable resemblence to the Scion tC which is a USDM FF platform built by Toyota aimed at the "Gen Y" market segment since the Celica was dropped in 2005. There was even a TRD Supercharged version much like our ill fated TRD Aurion.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Scion-tC.JPG/800px-Scion-tC.JPG

Although based on a AWD (Avensis) chassis, there are a couple that have been converted to RWD and are doing very well in the Formula Drift series in the States... Driven by Tanner Foust's Rockstar (TRD NASCAR V8) and Ken Gushi's RSR Toyo (3SGE Turbo).

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Mike%20Garrett/1August/FD%20Sonoma/tan14.jpg

Could have been a potential test bed for this concept for some time? Little known outside US or unless you are following FD or D1 USA

xero
27th August 2009, 09:37 AM
thats the sort of thing toyota should be looking at. the design and shape fo the car lends itself to the original AE86 shape, all the RWD conversion hard work has been done, so need for research into that part.

also it has shown i can be modded well enough too.

so, toyota cant use the 3S anymore, nor any of their ZZ engines from celica's and corolla's.
so whats left? thinking a bit outside of the square what about the 2.4l from the new camry/avensis/some other boring nugget.
now i know what your thinking, its not really a performance engine. but neither is a honda K24A and look at that, how many of those have been jammed into smaller honda's and making bulk power and revs from a factory engine?
there is the grey one in autosalon mag running 11's on an internally standard engine (i think it has cams) with a programmable ECU and decent exhaust system.
imagine that in a car weighing around 1100kgs, with a good base for suspension and so on.

this is why the toyota die hards are losing faith, this is why we want this to work. to show that for once toyota is listening to those who have followed them since they got their licence, who have enjoyed the shear indestructablity of most of their products for years.

Kid Karola
27th August 2009, 10:44 AM
Toyota die hards aren't loosing faith, they are just not buying new cars. We are still driving a 25 y.o. Corolla's here! lol why because we love them and they go forever. :yeah: No wonder the average age of a Toyota New car buyer is 50 odd years old. But as a business Toyota needs to attract younger customers too, rather then sensible family types and retirees it has become all too familiar with. We are the people that will buy are a car for the joy and thrill of driving it rather than it's practicality or versatility.

xero
28th August 2009, 04:45 PM
exactly!!!

Gunner
29th August 2009, 08:11 AM
Keep in mind you are describing toyota australia, the rest of the world see's far better cars from toyota the we do. We may not get the cool cars but toyota does build them, just not for aus.

driftke70
29th August 2009, 12:36 PM
i dunno, ke70 was made in aus

Kid Karola
30th August 2009, 03:39 AM
Thanks to the goverment and their laws for protecting the so called Australian auto industry (how's that working out for them?) Prohibitively expensive to bring anything decent in at a reasonable cost when new, then when these cars are older or "eligible" for other private import schemes, they manage to ruin that as well.

Rice86
14th September 2009, 11:55 AM
i've never seen a sprinter with a toyota badge...it never came out with a Toyota badge so a sprinter is in its own class... how dare they claim to be building a new ae86...

however i see it as they ARE trying to build what the world is looking for, small cheap sporty car, and naming it the new ae86 just to catch quick sales and media...

all im saying is, dont hope for a new ae86, hope this new thing does what they say it should, shouldnt be compared to anything but itself

GAKI86
14th September 2009, 01:27 PM
^ yes, you might try look at the back a centre garnish connected with the tail lights just left to the red sprinter lettering..
http://ciphergarage.com/ForSale/86/_MG_9960%20SprinterLightsSmall.JPG

Rice86
14th September 2009, 01:37 PM
i stand corrected ROFL

Rice86
14th September 2009, 01:39 PM
but still =]

only car thats will be like an ae86 is an ae86

evil86
14th September 2009, 08:12 PM
spot on riceman

kaibeecee
14th September 2009, 11:07 PM
my mates a subaru mechanic and he says its not the boxes that go its some transfer input thingo cant exactly remember its name. he says its 99% of the time from young dick heads trying to do "laurnch burnouts" and laurnching there wrxs like rocket ships on bitchumen. there drive line is realy only designed for gravel and dirt roads where the wheels dont grip so well, thus not straining the drive line so much when thrashed.

thats what hes told me and hes been working on them for a long time.

everyone has "a mate who's a 'insert car make name here' mechanic and has been for years."

fact of the matter is, they're a notoriously weak box.

back to the 86 - i'm starting to doubt that it'll be released in australia at all.

djscheppy
15th September 2009, 01:53 AM
i stand corrected ROFL

ADM grills also come with toyota lettering factory.

Kid Karola
15th September 2009, 02:41 AM
The namesake "Sprinter" as seen on the ADM AE86, has a long tradition with Toyota, going back to the early 70's along with the Corolla Levin and Sprinter Trueno of the TE-27 generation and a few other models inbetween.

GAKI86
18th September 2009, 01:48 AM
judging by the amount of posting here it seems like the interest of this car is dying down just like the possibility of it surfacing :D

so looks like you guys are going to be driving a hyundai genesis if a lightweight fr is what youre after!!

cky767
19th September 2009, 09:30 AM
lol its not going to be released because no one on DC is talking about it? People are still interested in it but there is only so many speculations and theory's that you can talk about. Once some cold hard facts about the car are released people will start talking again.

GAKI86
19th September 2009, 12:53 PM
umm yer..... anyways
whats going on at the land of the rising sun any updates or who-haaa talks about this car?? by far the only talks about with toyota are a new camry, prius and the cube looking iq car..

daily_driven_death_sled
19th September 2009, 08:24 PM
man dont the uk get a 2 seater yaris with a SC engine in the back?

TAK 2
21st September 2009, 08:28 AM
no your talking about the ones in china not the uk

PuGZoR
21st September 2009, 10:13 AM
Last I heard from 7Tune was that it's meant to be debuting at the Tokyo Motor Show in October. If it's there there'll be a LOT to talk about again, if not, well, I think most people will settle down speculation wise.

TAK 2
6th October 2009, 10:54 AM
i just got word that toyota are going to bring out the sprinter as a car made by toyota only and the engine is going to be a racing model on the trd modle

Rice86
6th October 2009, 11:19 AM
i just got word that toyota are going to bring out the sprinter as a car made by toyota only and the engine is going to be a racing model on the trd modle

YES NOW THATS NEWS!! :thumbup:

greeneyes
6th October 2009, 12:12 PM
There's no sign of a Toyota badge on the Altezza- only badge on the car just says 'Altezza'. Its all various marketing ploys.

I hope they don't use Subaru at all. Subbie just took a simple 4cyl engine & made it into something complex and expensive to fix.

It can't be that hard to grab parts from the suspension & engine Depts once you have a chassis decided upon. Look at the little 4WD Tercel- They took Corolla parts from everywhere (except the transfer case) and they built a specialist vehicle in its own right.

Sam-Q
6th October 2009, 04:28 PM

I call internet myth bullshit

I doubt we will see anything come out at all and I am guessing even if it does it will be just another boring Toyota that we wont even get in the country anyway.

svenmate
6th October 2009, 10:21 PM
Back to topic...

Actual car pics n shiz
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/44087/toyota-ft-86-concept-previews-upcoming-entry-level-rwd-sportscar-tokyo-motor-show/

todd
6th October 2009, 10:37 PM
that looks ALOT better then some of the older drawings.

wouldnt pass one up if i was buying a new car.
looks so angry and purposeful.

Kid Karola
7th October 2009, 01:02 AM
Hells yeah!!!

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/wp-content/gallery/toyota-ft-86-concept/toyota_ft-86_concept_06.jpg

but ADM will only get solid rotor single piston calipers :P

but WTF with the leather zippered dash... kinky Toyota designers "whaa-tssshh!!"

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/wp-content/gallery/toyota-ft-86-concept/toyota_ft-86_concept_08.jpg

Kid Karola
7th October 2009, 01:42 AM
A few more shots from AEu86...

http://images.drom.ru/images/4/13053/134062.jpg
http://images.drom.ru/images/4/13053/134064.jpg
http://images.drom.ru/images/4/13053/134066.jpg
http://images.drom.ru/images/4/13053/134068.jpg
http://images.drom.ru/images/4/13053/134070.jpg

driftke70
7th October 2009, 01:44 AM
probably so people can change colours easily or choose from the factory or something, looks great.

Kid Karola
7th October 2009, 07:53 AM
FT86 and AE86 GT Simulator Vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oOXdKcdpZ8)

Thanks to Antonio at motormavens (http://motormavens.com/2009/10/webmining-toyota-ft86-and-ae86-video/) for the heads up :thumbup:

more pics (http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/special/20091005/1029458/)

PuGZoR
7th October 2009, 09:23 AM
Jesus H Tapdancing Zombie Christ. I just came.

(OO)SKYLINE(OO)
7th October 2009, 11:31 AM
New Concept Revealed.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4706/toyotaft86concept9.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/6/6/8/25051.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2356/toyotaft86concept14.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/6/6/8/25053.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/844/toyotaft86concept161.jpg

Tak's new delivery Tofu car...

- http://www.caradvice.com.au/43367/toyota-ft-86-hachi-roku-concept-revealed/

"FT-86 Concept uses a Subaru-derived 2.0-litre normally-aspirated boxer engine which sends power to the rear wheels." :worried:... Not a Toyota engine..?

Kinda mean looking tho...

PuGZoR
7th October 2009, 11:57 AM
I've been continuing to perv at these images.

Cons: No side indicators. I know it's not a production car, because if it is we'd be boned! One of the req's for AU distro is indicators mounted on a side facing panel.

Pros: Everything.

Look, they even put in SRS Airbag on the horn button in the middle of the steering wheel. Nothing says they're serious about making this a production model than little details like that. I think they may tone down the interior for production (those seats look funky as, but not particularly functional) but that dash also looks heaps good. Interesting concepts used in centering all controls around the drive, similar to the cockpit of a JZA80 Supra.

Even if we don't get some supreme version they get in Japan, I'd be happy to have the base models over here. It looks hot as hell (although would not be my colour choice!) and definitely gives Toyota a new face, like their designers are actually passionate about cars and aren't completely run by bean counters who have driven the company to be completely utilitarian.

Finally something inspirational and best of all, more than just a fricken rumour! The next 2-3 weeks are going to be PAINFUL waiting for info from the Tokyo Motor Show.

letsgohunting
7th October 2009, 12:46 PM
I sincerely think that looks fucking fantastic

drift kid
7th October 2009, 12:50 PM
i seriously dont see how it resembles the original ae86 in anyway what so ever.

greeneyes
7th October 2009, 01:09 PM
front wheel is too far back...

Not exactly "a wheel at each corner"

So... look like a tofu delivery car to anyone?? or even look like something under $30,000??

I think it look about 1300KG and a 2litre turbo, not a lightweight throw-around. Must be the new "highside/small window" styles. I like big windows with good visibility so I can put each wheel where I want to and minimum overhang at each end.