PDA

View Full Version : engine light

mini bus
13th March 2009, 10:13 AM
hey guys/gals,

after changing the exhaust to a 2 1/4 inch with 4 into 1 extractors
my engine light keeps coming on and off

has anyone else had this problem?

does anyone know what is wrong or what i can do to fix it?

thanks

Dish
13th March 2009, 11:45 AM
Still have an O2 sensor installed? Mine does this but I'm led to believe because my speedo doesn't work it's the speedo sensor.

Allthough when I got my extractors and exhaust work done they didn't install my O2 sensor and the engine light was coming on from around about then.

mini bus
13th March 2009, 12:08 PM
yeah o2 sensors are still on
the one in the extractors and the one after the cat(i think thats where it is)

Dish
13th March 2009, 12:15 PM
There's 2??? 4a's only run 1. 20v's are after the collector before the cat and 16v are usually in one of the runners.

16v single cable O2 (Apparently don't need it to run)
20v 4 core cable O2 (Definately needed)

Maybe the second one is your cat temp? Other than that I'm not too sure.

Golberg
13th March 2009, 10:39 PM
JDM AE86?

JDM AE86's have cat temp probes, so that's probably what the other is.

trikzlane
13th March 2009, 10:42 PM
the o2 sensor maybe faulty cause they dont make them to last long

Golberg
13th March 2009, 11:06 PM
the o2 sensor maybe faulty cause they dont make them to last long

This is a good point, they can die on you. Just transferring it from one exhaust to another could have disturbed it. Still not 100% on if it should actually cause the check engine light to come on.

What you're best off doing is putting the computer in diag mode and getting the error codes off it. Then you'll definitely know what is going on. I have the diagnosis manual here if you want it too.

Javal
13th March 2009, 11:23 PM
Still have an O2 sensor installed? Mine does this but I'm led to believe because my speedo doesn't work it's the speedo sensor.

Allthough when I got my extractors and exhaust work done they didn't install my O2 sensor and the engine light was coming on from around about then.

AE86's don't use an electronic speed sensor - they have a mechanical sender on the gearbox which runs off the layshaft (?), which spins a sheathed cable, which goes straight to your speedo.

At no point does it interact with the ECU.

Nikkojoe
14th March 2009, 12:03 AM
On a jdm 86 you should have an exhaust temp lamp, maybe its that one which is flashing?

If not, run diagnostics. With engine and ignition off, bridge TE1 and E1 terminals on the diagnostic plug in the engine bay (if zenki, it will be a 2pin round plug with a blue/white and brown wire - if kouki, it will have a diagnostic box). Turn the key to on and note the flashes of the check lamp. Check club4ag for codes

Dish
14th March 2009, 09:46 AM
AE86's don't use an electronic speed sensor - they have a mechanical sender on the gearbox which runs off the layshaft (?), which spins a sheathed cable, which goes straight to your speedo.

At no point does it interact with the ECU.

I dunno this is what I was told, when I posted it up a while ago. I know they use a small plastic gear and a cable set-up. I just didn't know whether it was different due to GT dash, not ADM cluster. Has to be my o2 then.

Edit: Just searched Club4ag, and there is definately a speed sensor. On my ecu/dash anyway. See bottom right corner. Sorry bout the size.

http://www.club4ag.com/faq_and_tech_pages/Tech%20Photos/AE86_Japan_ECUa.jpg

mini bus
14th March 2009, 10:32 AM
thanks guys , will check everything you guys have said

thanks

Jonny Rochester
14th March 2009, 10:34 AM
That is a reed switch. Just an on/off switch that happens at a certain speed, not a sensor that gives any variation. The digital dash models still have a mechanical speedo cable.

Dish
14th March 2009, 10:49 AM
What I noticed with mine is it comes on at certain speeds/revs. then dissapears after a few seconds. If I'm doing highway driving it just comes in and out all the time. But it does dissapear if I'm travelling at a certain speed and then brake or accelerate.

BLACK COUPE
14th March 2009, 11:30 AM
What I noticed with mine is it comes on at certain speeds/revs. then dissapears after a few seconds. If I'm doing highway driving it just comes in and out all the time. But it does dissapear if I'm travelling at a certain speed and then brake or accelerate.

same as mine dude, but i suspect its my cat temp probe as its fukd and rattles loose all the time, maybe you have same problem?????

Dish
14th March 2009, 11:35 AM
I don't have one in there and have had the same exhaust ever since I've had the car. All that has ever been changed on my exhaust was extractors and a short piece after the collector, where the O2 now sits.

trueno85
15th March 2009, 11:36 PM
mine has two o2 sensor and the cat probe. One on the 4-1 and then another on the front pipe but its not connected

Golberg
16th March 2009, 05:00 PM
mine has two o2 sensor and the cat probe. One on the 4-1 and then another on the front pipe but its not connected

That's obviously not standard headers then though. Some after market computers may use 2 different O2 probes.

Dish
16th March 2009, 06:14 PM
Short T and E1, flick ignition on and cound the number of flashes of your engine check light.

Then go to a page on club4ag called ECU diagnostic codes for 4AGE. Mine came up with 6+7+8+9+10 I'm pretty sure. Which is 40. Codes 42 is the speed sensor. So I've gotta have another look at it.