PDA

View Full Version : 4AGZE Intercooler

onewish
29th July 2006, 10:08 AM
Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know how good the stock intercooler from a 4AGZE is when being setup in an AE86?

Or should a different intercooler be used instead for better performance? If so, any recommendations plz?

dustyae86
29th July 2006, 11:19 AM
Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know how good the stock intercooler from a 4AGZE is when being setup in an AE86?

Or should a different intercooler be used instead for better performance? If so, any recommendations plz?[/b]

probably not that good if your still leaving it as a top mount unless u wanna hack into your bonnet but if u put it as a front mount it night still be alright... i dont think many people bother though cause u need custom piping etc...

onewish
29th July 2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah I do want to set it up as a front mount...

AE71GZE
29th July 2006, 12:04 PM
Performane wise there is not that much of a difference between running stock top mount and a front mount although inlet side pipes stay cooler . ...but for $150 or whatever you can get the one's from just jap ect .

MAT713
29th July 2006, 12:05 PM
as far as an intercooler goes, that aren't at all effective.

inlet temp are pretty high, whether front mount or top mount.

you would need custom pipes to set up a front mont, for the sake of a 100 bucks grab a bigger better flowing cooler

onewish
29th July 2006, 01:23 PM
Okay cool... Now I have an idea what kind of setup...

So what about the size of the intercooler?

Would size affect the performance?

MAT713
29th July 2006, 01:38 PM
what forced induction set up have u got and how much HP will it need to be flowing?

DavisJD
29th July 2006, 01:41 PM
dont go to big for a 4agze, you wont need too bigger core size to drop your inlet temperatures down to 5-10deg above outside temperature.
I run a 450x300x100, thats a little overkill, u could easily use a 350x300x75 and it would work just as well, you could probably go smaller than that still.
Your performance will be affected by the lengths of your piping, keep it as short as possible to help with response and your idle hunting.

Theres a heap of info on 4agze Intercooler setups on this site, just do a search, you should find pictures of other peoples setups as well.

And yeh the cheapo coolers will work as well as the more expensive brand name coolers. I wouldnt bother getting an expensive one.

onewish
29th July 2006, 04:24 PM
Where did you get your intercooler from? Any place you recommended?

sprinkler86
31st July 2006, 12:54 AM
Iam running a trust cooler on the front and my car has made 150.9hp at wheeels...
the coler was second hand and it cost me 200 about two 18 months ago
It measures about 280 x 450 x 75 (I Think ) and it fits just right...
look for evo 4 cooler as they work find

.wolfwood
31st July 2006, 06:37 AM
just jap sell cheap ones, thre is sydney but postage doesnt cost much at all.

mattysshop
31st July 2006, 09:28 AM
i'd go for an evo core.. i was going to use one... then i just whipped one up using a PWR core http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/rolleyes.gif jokes.. my mate did.. 240x400x75... made 145rwhp on stock boost.. but it was tube and fin, not bar and plate..

onewish
2nd August 2006, 07:06 AM
So how much did your intercooler and piping setup cost?

Any particular brand recommended? PWR? Hybrid? etc...

mattysshop
2nd August 2006, 08:34 AM
stainless mandril piping, and a custom PWR core, with fabricated end tanks, all silicone/clamps etc.. fitted to the vehicle was approx $1200 but this was years ago.. and PWR's price can vary from core to core..

onewish
2nd August 2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks for your help Mattysshop...

Anybody else got their intercooler done for a 4AGZE?

ae71neo
2nd August 2006, 08:41 PM
Just Jap have a 450x300x76 for $169. Im going that if i can't find a evo/vr4 one.

lachy2k3
3rd August 2006, 04:51 PM
is it possible to set up a vee-mount in the lil 86 engine bay?

Water Boy
3rd August 2006, 06:03 PM
as far as an intercooler goes, that aren't at all effective.

inlet temp are pretty high, whether front mount or top mount.

you would need custom pipes to set up a front mont, for the sake of a 100 bucks grab a bigger better flowing cooler[/b]

which intercooler are you saying is not effective? and so which intercooler is then?

what's the inlet temp you got on front mount ..and/or top mount?

Water Boy
3rd August 2006, 06:04 PM
stainless mandril piping, and a custom PWR core, with fabricated end tanks, all silicone/clamps etc.. fitted to the vehicle was approx $1200 but this was years ago.. and PWR's price can vary from core to core..[/b]

This sounds like a nice setup! albeit $$ http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

JDMJNKY
3rd August 2006, 08:35 PM
i use a supra intercooler its about 350x300 and the pipes both come out the same side which makes it sweet on the gz setup and they are realy short which is good. ill sell it cos im going turbo pm me if interested?

Brenton 86
3rd August 2006, 09:19 PM
If your doin it on a budget u can do it quite cheap using a bar and plate, steel piping and diy or an exhaust shop to do the welding. Can still look ok just use metal putty and paint it.

SR20_AE86
3rd August 2006, 09:25 PM
is it possible to set up a vee-mount in the lil 86 engine bay?[/b]

[attachment=5415:attachment]
although its an SR, you get the idea

slide86
3rd August 2006, 10:03 PM
lol ^
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9281/bay04jpg8xw.jpg

onewish
31st August 2006, 04:17 PM
I'm gonna probably get a 400x300x73 (2.5" outlet)...
I'm assuming it's gonna fit with no problems with the standard front bar right?!

DavisJD
2nd September 2006, 02:25 PM
yeh ul have no problems making that fit, u may have take the air con compressor stuff out, (not sure what its all called, sits in front of your radiator)

But then again, it may fit with it in there, but who needs AC! Power robbing fiend!

onewish
2nd September 2006, 03:57 PM
yeh ul have no problems making that fit, u may have take the air con compressor stuff out, (not sure what its all called, sits in front of your radiator)

But then again, it may fit with it in there, but who needs AC! Power robbing fiend![/b]

Oh cool... I don't have AC anywayz... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

drewx
4th September 2006, 10:05 PM
im running a 450x300x75mm item, 2.5" mandrel bent alloy piping, i haven't had it back on the dyno yet (back on tomorrow). my inlet temps are around 24deg, as were my evo7 cooler temps were around 35deg. i made 140odd rwhp at 4000rpm (then blew head gasket).

onewish
29th September 2006, 07:12 PM
Will there be idling or other issues using an intercooler of that size? 400x300x73 that is...

DavisJD
29th September 2006, 07:35 PM
the length of your piping will have more of an effect on idle than your cooler size.

Bud id expect to have idle problems on any front mount setup on a GZE.

if u dont, your lucky.

AmyC
29th September 2006, 08:30 PM
When you guys say idleing probs do you mean it idle's a bit low or stops sometimes.
Check out this front mount but its on a ae82.
[attachment=7431:attachment]

onewish
30th September 2006, 01:38 PM
the length of your piping will have more of an effect on idle than your cooler size.

Bud id expect to have idle problems on any front mount setup on a GZE.

if u dont, your lucky.[/b]

What if I don't use an intercooler? How will that affect the performance of a standard GZE setup?

JDMJNKY
1st October 2006, 04:56 PM
i was thinking about running no ic try it and c how much power made? maybe the pipe length will will be more effective than the heat reduced by the ic!

DavisJD
1st October 2006, 06:07 PM
you will loose alot of power buy not running an IC in my opinion, and it was proven in my car.

I went without an IC for just under a month and my intake temperatures were between 60-90degC. with my IC there between 15-30degC.

I had both setups dyno'd. The setup without the IC was detuned to protect the engine and it made about 80rwkw.

With the IC it is safely tuned to 125rwkw.

The idle problem you'll get is called 'hunting idle'
the revs will jump up and down and not sit steadily, and if its really bad, it will stall when the revs drop down.

Its nothing you cant put up with, but its not perfect.

onewish
1st October 2006, 06:45 PM
Will there be any unexpected acceleration/revving problems? Continuous revving even after acceleration?

How about an intercooler with the outlets on one side only?

onewish
27th October 2006, 03:34 PM
the revs will jump up and down and not sit steadily, and if its really bad, it will stall when the revs drop down.

Its nothing you cant put up with, but its not perfect.[/b]

Is there a solution to this problem?!

Tom86
27th October 2006, 03:51 PM
you will loose alot of power buy not running an IC in my opinion, and it was proven in my car.

I went without an IC for just under a month and my intake temperatures were between 60-90degC. with my IC there between 15-30degC.

I had both setups dyno'd. The setup without the IC was detuned to protect the engine and it made about 80rwkw.

With the IC it is safely tuned to 125rwkw.

Its nothing you cant put up with, but its not perfect.[/b]

Hi DavisJD,

What was the throttle response like without IC vs with IC? Also when you stab the throttle at idle is there a delay before tacho response?( with IC installed) What boost and gear did you use to get 125rwkw?

Thanks

thekid
27th October 2006, 06:11 PM
hi guys,

was going to start a new thread but thought my question may be relevant in this one. hope you dont mind th e hijacking..

i just finished all the piping for my frontmount for the GZE, and i have found that the vacuum under idle makes my 90 degree silicone bends collapse, they are good quality 4 ply silicone hoses but still collapse under the vacuum.

i realise everything will be fine when under boost but i dont like it as the hose may deform over time or something.

has anyone else had this happen? just leave it be or try fix it?
i was thinking if i bent up a coat hanger or similar into a coil and stuffed that in there it may help. but not sure

Thanks

onewish
27th October 2006, 06:38 PM
hi guys,

was going to start a new thread but thought my question may be relevant in this one. hope you dont mind th e hijacking..

i just finished all the piping for my frontmount for the GZE, and i have found that the vacuum under idle makes my 90 degree silicone bends collapse, they are good quality 4 ply silicone hoses but still collapse under the vacuum.

i realise everything will be fine when under boost but i dont like it as the hose may deform over time or something.

has anyone else had this happen? just leave it be or try fix it?
i was thinking if i bent up a coat hanger or similar into a coil and stuffed that in there it may help. but not sure

Thanks[/b]

You'll actually have to use hoses that have some sort of reinforced metal... Otherwise, like you said it'll collapse... Or actually use steel piping... This was something my mechanic pointed out...

DavisJD
27th October 2006, 07:48 PM
There shouldnt be problems with revving after u let go of the accelarator.

In my car there is sometimes a slight delay when u stab the accelarator at idle.

But in an older tune (with IC) there wasnt. However my current ECU tune (i had to replace my ECU) was a rushed one so there is some flaws like what your talking about, but they can be ironed out with a little bit of patience.

Not sure what gear that run was in on the dyno, but was running 9psi to get that figure

The silicon bends 'sucking' in is normal with the GZE. U can either reinforce the silicon, or use all metal bends. But it wont be a problem with a little bit of bending on the silicon. Just check every now and again there not coming loose.

Bassically your GZE with front mount setup can be perfect, u just need to spend some time getting the tune just right.

If your using the factory computer, change the throttle body for a larger one as shown here

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/in...?showtopic=2591 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=2591)

And deffinetly dont run no IC. Bad idea!

AmyC
28th October 2006, 08:35 PM
Im getting a stock 1jzgte front mount for my ke70. Im going to mount it like this.
[attachment=8437:attachment]

Sprinterboy
29th October 2006, 02:25 AM
See my thread to check out how i've set up my ze.....

Hen is a total nutcase
29th October 2006, 10:13 PM
Sprintah - Given where the ZE thottle body sits (start of the intake) the whole inlet tract sees full vacuum. So anything flexible will be sucked in. Use metal bends and SHORT silicone or rubber joiners where needed.

Frontmount ICs are good. Throttle response and idle are affected but you can easily live with it. Just don't go silly with size.

Hen