PDA

View Full Version : direct ignition for 4age

ae86 slide
6th August 2006, 09:06 PM
i have very very limited knowelege of how to go about setting this up and what parts would be needed,
if someone has done this throw some links or info my way, (yes ive searched).
cheers jase

roadsailing
6th August 2006, 09:25 PM
do you want to explain what you want to do a bit?

Jason
6th August 2006, 09:25 PM
id say there would be quite a lot involved such is drilling into the cylinder head and finding room on it for the injector. The 16v has very little unsed head space so im assuming the 20v is going to be worse.

japlish
7th August 2006, 01:17 AM
Hasn't bosch developed technology on this. Check there web site>

mc68
7th August 2006, 03:03 AM
i havent seen it on anything other than diesels

ae86 slide
7th August 2006, 06:15 PM
sorry guys, typo on description.
im after info on direct ignition, using SR20 igniters ect,
anyone?

Jason
7th August 2006, 06:23 PM
aftermarket ecu easy http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

iirc the 1g ones fit

ae86 slide
7th August 2006, 06:31 PM
aftermarket ecu easy http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

iirc the 1g ones fit[/b]

sorry for the ignorance, but i get the after market ECU,
but what did you mean by 'iirc the 1g ones fit'
cheers

Jason
7th August 2006, 07:04 PM
if i remeber correctly the 1ggte ignitors fit

driftism
7th August 2006, 07:23 PM
You can use the coil-on-plug ignition from a 1zz motor from a new celica. Not sure of the modifications required to fit it, but i know that they have been used before.

ae86 slide
7th August 2006, 07:23 PM
ok thanks mate,
ive also heard that sr20 igniters are a direct plug in to.
what else needs to be changed with the ignition setup to run it?

terryo
12th August 2006, 06:33 PM
the stoick computer wont drive any of these. I have used both 1GG and 3VZ ones with aftermarket computers. All of them require some mucking around by making mounting plates etc. There is no "bolt-in" unit that I'm aware of. If you are in brissy area, I can help you out at work.

Gilly
12th August 2006, 06:36 PM
Kaizen garage use a direct ignition coil setup on their 20v conversions, pm slydar for details...

psychofox
14th August 2006, 01:13 PM
it depends on what computer you are using. Say you are using a microtech LT8s or LT10s it's easy, just buy the X4 Igniter unit and 4 coils ftw. Autronic, Motec, Haltec, Wolf, etc. you generally have to buy Igniters (such as Bosch, M&W, MSD, etc.) separately. I would go with whatever the computer manufacturer recommends. Also factor that now you have to buy 4 coils as well, it all adds up.

In my opinion Coil on Plug ignition is over-rated, you pay big bucks for them and they are a very small coil relative to say a set of bosch or MSD coils. You get bugger all spark loss over the length of an good quality ignition lead (unless it's like a metre long !!!) relative to the air resistance at the spark plug gap.

If you are using the stock computer on any 4AG(Z)E, there is little to be gained from going to individual coils. Most of the time if the ignition system is ok for the given power output of the motor, there is little to be gained going to individual coils, even with an aftermarket computer. If you are running big boost and having to close the gaps on the plugs then you would consider going to individual coils, expensive igniters, etc.

ae86 slide
14th August 2006, 07:30 PM
ok mate fair enough,
i was unsure of how much of a gain it would achieve.