PDA

View Full Version : Trd Headgasket 0.8mm plus lightweight flywheel?

AE93-TWINCAM
16th August 2006, 01:27 AM
Hey everyone,
Just wondering what impact a trd 0.8mm head gasket will have on a 4age 100kw motor?

Also i'm buying a lightweight flywheel off my mate, He mentioned the clutch and flywheel weighs about 10kg,

I think he said its about 7kg ish..

I have a spare 3 puk brass button clutch as well, wondering whether anyone has tried it?
I thought seeming how i've actually got it i might as wlel use it, i've used one on a 3sgte for a few weeks and i didn't mind the quick grabiness of the clutch, just wondering of a few opinions of what to do..

Thanks
Adrian

psychofox
16th August 2006, 11:00 AM
You won't event notice the difference in your placebo effect seat of the pants dyno from the head gasket change. Have you factored in buying new head bolts and getting the head skimmed before you put it in? Unless you're in the process of rebuilding the engine i would not bother. Your 4AGE probably has >200,000kms on it, a set of new rings would make more difference.

Lightened flywheel you may well notice the car is a bit more 'revvier' - but don't think you're going to get a second over the quarter... actually the biggest change you'll notice is that you'll probably stall the car more often. If it's a track car you may get some good benefits - street car, less benefit.

Hen is a total nutcase
16th August 2006, 11:17 AM
a 7kg flywheel is not very light. I am unsure what factory weight is, but it could well be around that. Lightweight for a 4AGE is 3.5-4kg.

3puck brass button clutch will hold a lot of torque, but will be total overkill, and possibly a pain on the street given it bolted to an NA 1.6 litre.

Hen

AE93-TWINCAM
16th August 2006, 11:44 AM
My motor needs new rings hence why i was thinking about going for that option,
But yeah I wouldn't mind just going for my original option with the silvertop 20v..
Its a lot less work with just gettin one motor and gettin wiring done than tryin to rebuild 1 motor..

rthy
16th August 2006, 05:53 PM
he said 7kg for the flywheel and the clutch combined, anyone know what a clutch weighs normally?

rthy
16th August 2006, 05:56 PM
a stock clutch plate a pressure plate shouldnt be more than 1-4kgs

psychofox
16th August 2006, 06:14 PM
just sent a clutch disc ans pressure plate (200mm AE86 type) through the post and it was 4kg. As an AE92 flywheel is about 6kg, that makes 10Kg seem reasonable for the total weight. 7kg equals a 3kg flywheel, which is fairly light for a 4AGE flywheel, most are in the 3.6-4.5kg range.

AE93-TWINCAM
16th August 2006, 07:01 PM
It ended up being 6k it wasn't actually a lightweight unit...

SO now i'm just waiting for my stuff for the 20v hehe
Hopefully won't be too difficult haha

Anyone had much exprerience wiring in one?
Fun i heard http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif