PDA

View Full Version : cams for turbo 4a

slideways
15th March 2009, 10:53 PM
yo peeps,

wondering what the recomendation for cams are in a turbo application.

also what valve springs to use, and i will also be converting to solid lifters from a 1SZ yarris motor.

cheers.

Jonny Rochester
15th March 2009, 11:56 PM
Generaly, the stock cams are best for turbo. Untill you start making serious power and want to look at every aspect of your motor in detail, by which point you would have collected more ideas.

I am guessing standard cams, springs and shims are fine for turbo use. Unless you want to increase the normal rev limit.

45aken
16th March 2009, 12:39 AM
Jonny,
you wouldn't even recommend a mild 256 with higher lift?

Jonny Rochester
16th March 2009, 01:09 AM
If I was building a turbo car and saw some mild cams on ebay, then I would consider yes. But it comes down to cost effectiveness. More critical would be the actual turbo.

350hp4agte
16th March 2009, 07:31 AM
i have kelford cams in my turbo 20v (the motor hasnt been run yet) but kelford do a set of cams specificly for turbo 20v's and turbo 4age's its not up on there list of cams but if you email them they will give you the specs

i do however think that what JR is saying is a better way to look at it, it depends on how far you are going with the build, i went all out and pretty much replaced everything, but if your just going to turbo a ze or something i wouldnt worry about cams

maybe spend alot of time researching what turbo to run or spend the money on port work

Delazy
16th March 2009, 07:51 AM
i have kelford cams in my turbo 20v (the motor hasnt been run yet) but kelford do a set of cams specificly for turbo 20v's and turbo 4age's its not up on there list of cams but if you email them they will give you the specs

i do however think that what JR is saying is a better way to look at it, it depends on how far you are going with the build, i went all out and pretty much replaced everything, but if your just going to turbo a ze or something i wouldnt worry about cams

maybe spend alot of time researching what turbo to run or spend the money on port work

thats if u even get a response from kelford...

3 emails and still no reply...

might just ring them instead when i get the chance

3s-86
16th March 2009, 08:13 AM
Hey slideways

I can get you some cams,
I can also supply you with valve springs to suit.
PM me with your engine useage, power revs etc.

Cheers

slideways
16th March 2009, 01:41 PM
well so far i'm running a 7 rib block, stock ze ae101 internals, a bigport head with standard ze gasket. a custom 3 odd litre plenum. 600x300x76 pwr cooler. an off the shelf bb t28 with 64 a/r.
the head has been cleaned up a bit
also have an ebc on the way to reduce boost creep.
i have a bit of money to spare, so i was wondering where the money might best be invested.
and figured i might fork out for a set of cams.

is there any limitation to lift and duration because you forcing air. remember reading something about blow through???

350hp4agte
16th March 2009, 05:53 PM
ecu mite be a better option than cams, injectors also a better option or even cam gears to stop the old blow through, a good fuel reg

actually a good fuel system is a better idea i recon, injectors fuel reg and a good pump ie 044 bosch and an ecu to turne it all in

johl
16th March 2009, 07:02 PM
n/a cams

3s-86
16th March 2009, 08:06 PM
How much power do you want?
What ECU are you running?
Need more info otherwise can't suggest much,
is it running or it's work in progress etc?
What are you using it for?
What's your turbo HP rating?
Your only going to be able to run upto 16psi max
with stock headgasket, wouldn't worry about cams.
Just make sure you have the stock 7.5mm bigport cams fitted.

3s-86
16th March 2009, 08:06 PM

fixeruperer
16th March 2009, 09:29 PM
standard ze headgasket is pretty good plenty of people have been running 20+psi without probs, just use a good tuner.
depending on what power and where you want it will depend on the cams, speak to some cam people.
make use of you cams and time them in theres no point having bigger cams if your not going to time them in.

with you bub turbo some stock 4ag cams with cam timing played around with will make decent power.

get some arp head studs if money lets you get rod and crank aswell.

slideways
17th March 2009, 12:32 AM
ecu mite be a better option than cams, injectors also a better option or even cam gears to stop the old blow through, a good fuel reg

actually a good fuel system is a better idea i recon, injectors fuel reg and a good pump ie 044 bosch and an ecu to turne it all in

forgot to mention, running a g-hay stinger ecu, 7mgte injectors, turbosmart presure reg. some big fuel pump.

So what would be a better buy. cams or cam gears?

slideways
17th March 2009, 12:38 AM

will be using it for mostly street spirited driving and the occasional trip to the track.
It is currently a few electrical issues away from starting and being tuned.

errrr i don't know what the horse power rating of a bb t28, but should be able to take me further than what i'm chasing.

And i have done alot of research regarding the ze gasket, and like it was mention above i believe it can take 20psi plus. of which i plan on going close to 20. so i will let you know how it goes. :DD

and unfortunatley the head I bought didn't come with the cams so i'm using small port cams.