PDA

View Full Version : mid engine and rear engine drift

sun_moon
16th March 2009, 02:45 PM
who has driven a MR or RR car and drifted it ? please tell me your thoughts on this.

i have an aw11 with 6 speed LSD box and i by no means think i am a drifter, but i do occaisonaly mess around every now and then.

i do not like drifting, especially the "sport" of drifting, but as an open minded enthusiast i like to try and hear things.

i know josh young has drifted mid engined cars before, an mr2. it would be good to hear from him and from others about how MR and RR cars compare to FR cars.

thanks guys.

tony.

shift_rook
16th March 2009, 02:58 PM
because there's so much weight in the back it's hard to get much angle as it just wants to spin, would look cool. anyone got vids?

Rice86
16th March 2009, 03:10 PM
drifting in MR cars would be for no average hooner...

everything needs to be done with quicker reflex or with high knowdlege and skill involved due to wieghts at the back and like they say, spins out faster...

well this is what i figued so far just thinking about this thread =], i mean if u can even drift FF, and 4wd, would only be easier to drift MR wouldnt it?..

PuGZoR
16th March 2009, 03:35 PM
Heh, I remember when I was first into spirited driving, I tried sliding my MR2 SW20 turbo. I could catch the bastard of a thing, but with cheap tyres it was pretty damn hard to keep an angle, only managed to do it a handful of times. So I bought an AE86. 2.5 years later woth of build and I'm still not back to where I was, lol.

mr2drift
17th March 2009, 01:42 PM
its not that they dont actually get the angle, they just keep turning, you need to counter almost even before you initiate the slide. So saying that, they hold HUGE amounts of post apex slide and can accelerate really well while sliding. My sw20 had loads of grunt, but the steering is a little limited on the total angle you can get.

id love to build an aw11 street/club drift car, think it would be sweet, and not a stand out car to the police....

apparently the aw11 is more stable than the sw2o.

when i was in mobara in japan, there were a pair of aw11 ripping it up, looked so so kool... they drifted all day and had a blast.

benzo
17th March 2009, 03:18 PM
I drift my aw11 on GT4, one of my better sliders

does that count lol

slydar
17th March 2009, 06:22 PM
i think it has more to do with CG of the average MR car rather than the layout not being suited for drift.

most affordable MR cars are based on a fwd style transaxle, where there engine isnt positioned all that low in the car. this is the big issue, and pretty much the Achilles heal of an MR car.

i think CG is very important in drifting. which is why some super slammed cars, even though they dont "handle" so good in a traditional sense, or have very sound suspension geometry, can still slide well.

Sprinter86
17th March 2009, 07:11 PM
i watched that 'drift bible' a while ago and that drift king guy gave drifting a Mr2 a go, he actually explains pretty well whats needed to do it well, but in saying that, even he span out once or twice :P

kAmbo
9th April 2009, 11:11 AM
i try get teh adub kicking out once in a while, open diff kinda sucks as its unpredictable but in the wet it seems ok. hard to hold the drift as the rear catches itself or you just get the massive wobbles (fishtailing yo).

the short wheel base doesn't help when your trying to hold it and get angle. the AJPS lock spacer helps A LOT as you have room to play with when your going at epic angles.