PDA

View Full Version : AE86 + EVO engine

LAZY
25th September 2006, 01:29 PM
Parts used so far:

Starion block/gearbox
Sonata head/rocket cover
Custom engine mounts

Pros: The block and gearbox are considered to be strong.
Gearbox is a bolt on mod as the t50 mounts are a straight fit.
This also alters the position of engine bringing it 12 mm's closer to the firewall.
Cheap to stroke into 2.4ltr, all that's required is 4g64 crank and modified pistons (a change of balancing shafts but nothing too complicated or expensive).
Can be engineered in any state.

Cons: Turbo is on the same side as master cylinder
Exhaust pipe from the turbo, there is a tight gap between the steering rack and chassis, also it's on the same side as the fuel lines.

More info as it progresses....

dori_86
25th September 2006, 01:34 PM
pics of this crazy beast?

redsprinter
25th September 2006, 02:52 PM
pics. pics. that sounds awesome.

Javal
25th September 2006, 03:50 PM
PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICS BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

pics. man thats gonna be crazy. i have a long lost mate who has a 12 second evo powered starion, so imagine what it could do with a sprinter body....

LAZY
25th September 2006, 04:00 PM
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1588/image057zn0.jpg

^^^ at it's very early stages

LAZY
4th October 2006, 11:39 AM
The sonata head swap was the first thing I decide to do, Im facing the same problem with sr20det convertions, the engine is sitting too high for the bonnet to close.

mattysshop
6th October 2006, 04:06 PM
ahhhh..... thats a single cam head.... how is that an EVO engine??

LAZY
6th October 2006, 05:09 PM
Starion's came out with a single point single cam 2ltr engine, the bottom head is the same as a vr4 gallant and evo's.

The head can be replaced with a twin cam, check my avatar, thats off a late model sonata, early evo's and gallant heads can also be use, water galeries match.

mattysshop
6th October 2006, 07:59 PM
so your running the twin cam head then? or the single cam head? is it just a matter of changing the pistons like most single cam to twin cam conversions? i'm quite interested! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Stuck
7th October 2006, 12:44 AM
I'm also very interested, One of its kind. After the project is done, what sort of area will it be in? Racing? Drifting? Show?

LAZY
7th October 2006, 09:36 AM
^^^^

The single cam SOHC (that can be converted to DOHC) convertion is simple and it fits, there is also a 2.4 single cam engine that came off a L300 that bolts to the starion gearbox(although the twin cam head doesn't), twin cam is a different story.

Going twin cam though there are issues with it (ie: more upfront expense) but i think it's it worth it.

There are two ways of going twin cam:
4g63 turbo off a vr4/evo, starion gearbox does not fit due to being a different bolt pattern, I have seen a supra gearbox used, all custom work....
Or by using a starion block and gearbox with a twin cam head(timing cover and other parts are required).
Unless using a late model evo engine, the turbo is going to be on the same side as the master cylinder and steering rack so there could be problems.....

The only difference between the turbo and NA head's is the valve train's difference. So using the turbo cams in an n/a will work.

Theres still a few things that I have to sort out, modifiying/replacing/removing balance shaft, upgrading cradle and what head studs should be used.

Mattysshop: Check the avatar.
Stuck: Drifting, going twin cam helps with the tuning side of things.

Stuck
7th October 2006, 12:36 PM
You should really do a write up in the Members Ride Section.. would totally pwn any other section.

Keep up with the good work.

flamingheads
7th October 2006, 03:27 PM
I thought the early starions had 2lt leaded engines and the later ones were 2.4 unleaded but they both had simlar power because of emissions and stuff.

Gilly
7th October 2006, 05:01 PM
i'm confused, are you doing the starion/ twin cam head conversion now and putting a Evo motor in later?

LAZY
8th October 2006, 08:56 AM
flamingheads: they came in 2.0 ltr here plain body
http://www.turboclub.com/makes/mit/Starion/KENJI/STARION%20GSR-2%20Rsml.jpg

In other country's theres a wide body with the heavier 2.6ltr featured in top gear once.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e4/MitsuStarion.JPG/800px-MitsuStarion.JPG

Gilly: Eveything is similar if not the same it's still a 4g63t.... It's the same.

LAZY
8th October 2006, 03:10 PM
Just the right amount of space for the crank angle sensor and water hose.
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/117162.jpg

For the gearbox, a small piece of the tunnel needs to be cut to fit.
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1808/image061vn7.jpg

The factory crossmember that holds the gearbox in place, it's just a bolt on job.
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/117164.jpg

Gilly
8th October 2006, 03:19 PM
cool, i don't know mitsu stuff at all.

cool project.

Stuck
8th October 2006, 04:07 PM
Arent these cars 4WD? Does that make your AE86 4WD as well?

LAZY
8th October 2006, 04:09 PM
cool, i don't know mitsu stuff at all.

cool project.[/b]

Thanks, I didn't know much about this either until recently thanks to a few vr4 and starion owners.

LAZY
8th October 2006, 04:16 PM
Arent these cars 4WD? Does that make your AE86 4WD as well?[/b]

^^Those engines still use FR engine layouts and 4wd distribution similar to a nissan gtr, they where used in rally from 1982 to 1986. 4wd domestic models are very rare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Starion

TurboRA28
20th October 2006, 10:11 AM
Hey looking good.. It seems you have it all sorted, but incase you get stuck with the starion block to twincam head coversion let me know as I've got a mate who has done the same thing.

Ended up a lot of work getting all the pulleys and belts etc working right. But awesome result in the end.

Cheers
Joel

LAZY
20th October 2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks,

ajc_ae86
20th October 2006, 02:17 PM
Pretty out of it conversion... but hey what ever tickles your fansy http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

Good to see somthing different....

Just a matter of intrest you went for the starion block cause its easier to do??, rather than going with a 4wd 4g63????

LAZY
22nd October 2006, 04:03 PM
Pretty out of it conversion... but hey what ever tickles your fansy http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

Good to see somthing different....

Just a matter of intrest you went for the starion block cause its easier to do??, rather than going with a 4wd 4g63????[/b]

My earlier post covers your questions...

cri_ag
24th October 2006, 09:57 PM
so are you going to ditch the balance shaft? we built a mates cordia motor, got the whole rotating assembly balanced and got rid of the balance shaft. im fairly sure the motor actualy runs smother now without the shafts!

LAZY
24th October 2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah, don't really need it, I am using a elimination kit that can be bought from the states,
also using the timing cover from the twin cam (not to be confused with timing cover cover LOL),

ANDREW_92_AE86
29th January 2007, 06:49 PM
how is it goin

ghoms
16th October 2007, 05:12 AM
we have 3 corolla's with a similar setup in it. we have a guy here with a silver hatch that makes 600+ on a 4g63, been done. looks liek yoru on your way. i myself made a 2.4 evo head, for an 87 coupe that's running around somewhere in new jersey. i made 560hp on my first pass on the 2.4 setup. we had to change the gearbox to a 7m supra turbo box with a celica supra rear diff, now the customer has plans on changing for a shortened ford 9 inch read end.

ae71
16th October 2007, 12:41 PM
we have 3 corolla's with a similar setup in it. we have a guy here with a silver hatch that makes 600+ on a 4g63, been done. looks liek yoru on your way. i myself made a 2.4 evo head, for an 87 coupe that's running around somewhere in new jersey. i made 560hp on my first pass on the 2.4 setup. we had to change the gearbox to a 7m supra turbo box with a celica supra rear diff, now the customer has plans on changing for a shortened ford 9 inch read end.[/b]

seems that the customer is a little wild with the money, changing to IRS then back to a solid rear, sure a ford 9" is basically unbrakeable but you would be going backwards in every other way??

oh and single cam FTL

rthy
16th October 2007, 03:02 PM
wats wrong with SOHC?

if only the 4ac was crossflow...

Non crossflow FTL

mikewestphoto
16th October 2007, 03:35 PM
seems that the customer is a little wild with the money, changing to IRS then back to a solid rear, sure a ford 9" is basically unbrakeable but you would be going backwards in every other way??[/b]

The car never went to IRS. When the americans say celica supra rear end, they mean MA47 F-series.

ae71
16th October 2007, 05:35 PM
Oh fair enough, those damn Americans :P

I'm with you too rthy, I have found that single cam isn't quite as bad as everything makes out..

LAZY
28th October 2007, 12:53 PM
aha my old thread.

Well what happen was.

Used a different 2.4 van block, destroked. Could not get it engineered, also the chassis needed attention so I sold it and sold the engine.

I bough another ae86, this time its ls2 twin turbo... stay tuned.

86xxx
29th October 2007, 08:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 28 2007, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427101)</div>
aha my old thread.

Well what happen was.

Used a different 2.4 van block, destroked. Could not get it engineered, also the chassis needed attention so I sold it and sold the engine.

I bough another ae86, this time its ls2 twin turbo... stay tuned.[/b]

Better put your fire retardent jacket on, you're about to get flamed.....

Not only are you going to have something with an unuseable amount of power, you're going to ruin the car doing it.

Wanker

LAZY
29th October 2007, 08:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (medwin46 @ Oct 29 2007, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427491)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 28 2007, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427101)
aha my old thread.

Well what happen was.

Not only are you going to have something with an unuseable amount of power, you're going to ruin the car doing it.

Wanker
[/b][/quote]

Explain your retarded theory please. :blink:
This forum is full of weirdos.

Sparkle86
29th October 2007, 08:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 29 2007, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427494)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (medwin46 @ Oct 29 2007, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427491)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 28 2007, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427101)
aha my old thread.

Well what happen was.

Wanker
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Not full of weirdos, the weirdos just speak up more often than the rest of us!

Some people would say putting anything other than a 4A in a AE86 is ruining it, but some of us appreciate other peoples ideas.

Twin turbo V8 AE86, not my cup of tea, but it an interesting idea and I would like to see the result, keep us posted!!

86xxx
29th October 2007, 09:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparkle86 @ Oct 29 2007, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427501)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 29 2007, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427494)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (medwin46 @ Oct 29 2007, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427491)
aha my old thread.

Well what happen was.

Wanker
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Some people would say putting anything other than a 4A in a AE86 is ruining it, but some of us appreciate other peoples ideas.

Twin turbo V8 AE86, not my cup of tea, but it an interesting idea and I would like to see the result, keep us posted!!
[/b][/quote]

I myself have been flamed for my approach to my own conversion. I have a 3sgte in my AE86 (for those who dont know, its toyota's 2 litre twin cam turbo from the gt4 celica) and it was enough of a headache. To fit a ls2 in there you're gonna have to do something incredible as far as modding the engine bay, firewall, etc. A standard ls2 puts out 300kw easily, twin turbo's are up around the 440kw! Have you considered the following: How are you going to deliver that power to the ground? Drivetrain, clutch, transmission, diff, and lastly tyres are all goin to fail without you spending $$$$$$$$$$$$ on upgrading these areas, in what is quite essentially a 25yr old corolla!! You're going to add a heap of weight over the fron end, which in turn will reduce the weight distributuion to the rear end, and probably result in you sitting in the one spot either through lack of traction or breaking whatever fails first in your drivedtrain. If you really want a v8 in an ae86, why not toyota's own v8, matched to the supra gearbox etc. Heaps of torque, not adding all the weight, and a hell of a lot cheaper too.

I think the people who are so hung up on the 4a motor are stuck in the past. Yeah they're a ripper motor, but to say that 86's should only have a hard revving na 1600 in them or else its ruined just showes people's ignorance and misconception.

Sparkle86
29th October 2007, 10:20 AM
Like I said its not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate the work that is going into such a conversion and will enjoy viewing the results.

Calling someone a Wanker for the way they choose to mod there car is a bit anti social dont you think?

86xxx
29th October 2007, 10:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparkle86 @ Oct 29 2007, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427519)</div>
Like I said its not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate the work that is going into such a conversion and will enjoy viewing the results.

Calling someone a Wanker for the way they choose to mod there car is a bit anti social dont you think?[/b]

Its not practical is my point. Anyone who knows anything about these cars and why they are so popular would know that a twin turbo ls2 is WAY WAY over the top. There is my point, more than likely a 16 yr old kid who 1) doesnt have a car anyway and 2) wouldn't have the $20k needed to make the conversion work.... filling our site with shit that WILL NEVER get done anyway. If you consider power to weight ratios and the effect that putting a 6L v8 and it's 6 speed gearbox, it's 10 plate clutch, some 12 inch diff and 15 inch wide tyres to deliver the power it'll be making to the ground has on these you would see that you are much better off sticking to the original train of thought with the 86 and keep it light, power up a bit and have a very practical car. Josh Young's v8 does not weigh much more than a 4a engine, is mated to a supra box (from memory) and is reliable, torquey and in the car without hacking it to pieces....

I actually got a price for a twin turbo kit for a monaro as i plan on doing one next for my daily... $18000 for the full bolt on turbo kit, twin turbo kit that is. Add an ls2 to that and all the mods needed to get it to function in an early 80's cult classic and you're looking at a $35000 corolla.... show me your money and i'll build you a far better car for 1/3 the price.

Sparkle86
29th October 2007, 11:45 AM
Thats your opinion and thats ok. Some would say a 3S in an AE86 is over the top, but it depands on what you want to do.

86xxx
29th October 2007, 11:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparkle86 @ Oct 29 2007, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427540)</div>
Thats your opinion and thats ok. Some would say a 3S in an AE86 is over the top, but it depands on what you want to do.[/b]

A 3s is a mere 8kg's heavier than a 4a. It will make ample power without straining the motor. It will not screw up any of the car's handling characteristics. It requires no body mods to fit in the 86. In my opinion it is the opitmum conversion for the 86 as far as useable power is concerned, but as you said that is my opinion.

The point i was making is that anyone with a brain will think about an ls2 conversion and think themselves out of it for obvious reasons. Its simply some kid with an 'awesome' idea and no mechanical understanding or know-how talking shit. Yes, its an awesome idea on paper, but it will not work. Like i said, you can build a far supierior car for 1/3 the cost.

Sparkle86
29th October 2007, 12:15 PM
Superior? It all depends on the end use. It could be a drag car, a burnout car, or even a space framed sports sedan. Not everyone has the same expectations from their cars.

dr1ft-pig
29th October 2007, 12:15 PM
3sg is a great conversion, turbo or not, but an ls2 is just plain fucking retarted, its probably wouldn't even fit between the rails, really no point in the conversion unless you are a ae86 hater and just want to hack it up and wreck it , heres an idea got get a dirty old ke70 and try it with that same engine bay setup as an ae86 so go do it and see how much u need to hack it up to fit a big filthy commodore engine in it then stand back, take a look and see how much u would have wrecked an 86 by doing it to it

kaibeecee
29th October 2007, 12:35 PM
can't you kids respect others decisions? who cares if you think it is crap or not.

put up or shut up. it's his decision - respect it.

4g63 is arguably the most refined 2.0L 4-cyl engine in production. think of it as a more up-to-date 4A. it has infinitely more potential. companies like HKS choose the 4g over a SR, so that says something.

i'm weighing the financials of doing a 4g63 myself actually...

86xxx
29th October 2007, 12:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaibeecee @ Oct 29 2007, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427555)</div>
can't you kids respect others decisions? who cares if you think it is crap or not.

put up or shut up. it's his decision - respect it.

4g63 is arguably the most refined 2.0L 4-cyl engine in production. think of it as a more up-to-date 4A. it has infinitely more potential. companies like HKS choose the 4g over a SR, so that says something.

i'm weighing the financials of doing a 4g63 myself actually...[/b]

We're not arguing over that anyway, the ls2 twin turbo idea is copping a bashing though!!! :P

Sparkle86
29th October 2007, 01:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dr1ft-pig @ Oct 29 2007, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427547)</div>
3sg is a great conversion, turbo or not, but an ls2 is just plain fucking retarted, its probably wouldn't even fit between the rails, really no point in the conversion unless you are a ae86 hater and just want to hack it up and wreck it , heres an idea got get a dirty old ke70 and try it with that same engine bay setup as an ae86 so go do it and see how much u need to hack it up to fit a big filthy commodore engine in it then stand back, take a look and see how much u would have wrecked an 86 by doing it to it[/b]

Oh, no doubt a 3sge or gte is a great conversion. What I hate is they way that when someone suggests something a bit left of center they get jumped on by people that think they know better. You can state your opinion with out name calling and beating sombody down.

86xxx
29th October 2007, 01:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparkle86 @ Oct 29 2007, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427566)</div>
Oh, no doubt a 3sge or gte is a great conversion. What I hate is they way that when someone suggests something a bit left of center they get jumped on by people that think they know better. You can state your opinion with out name calling and beating sombody down.[/b]

What we hate is dreamerrs coming on here pretending to be loaded with cash and all these brilliant ideas, that in real terms are not going to heppen for any number of reasons. We see it time and time again, people posting up these ideas fro brilliant conversions they're gonna do, a few months later we see the same person posting questions like 'how do i connect the throttle cable up in my ae86 4age conversion..." Im all for doing something outside the box, take a look at my build, every aspect of the car is the opposite to the traditional 86 style be it wheels, interior, brakes, whatever, its all different and i got abused forever about it, but at the end of the day my conversion is practical and do-able. A ls2 twin turbo 86 would be wicked, i'll watch out for his build up thread....

blair
29th October 2007, 01:52 PM
baha more! more!

Sparkle86
29th October 2007, 02:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (medwin46 @ Oct 29 2007, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427579)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparkle86 @ Oct 29 2007, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427566)
Oh, no doubt a 3sge or gte is a great conversion. What I hate is they way that when someone suggests something a bit left of center they get jumped on by people that think they know better. You can state your opinion with out name calling and beating sombody down.[/b]

What we hate is dreamerrs coming on here pretending to be loaded with cash and all these brilliant ideas, that in real terms are not going to heppen for any number of reasons. We see it time and time again, people posting up these ideas fro brilliant conversions they're gonna do, a few months later we see the same person posting questions like 'how do i connect the throttle cable up in my ae86 4age conversion..." Im all for doing something outside the box, take a look at my build, every aspect of the car is the opposite to the traditional 86 style be it wheels, interior, brakes, whatever, its all different and i got abused forever about it, but at the end of the day my conversion is practical and do-able. A ls2 twin turbo 86 would be wicked, i'll watch out for his build up thread....
[/b][/quote]

Na what we hate is people that always think that their way is best and no one else has any idea!

86xxx
29th October 2007, 03:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparkle86 @ Oct 29 2007, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427600)</div>
Na what we hate is people that always think that their way is best and no one else has any idea![/b]

Im sorry to be the one to tell you mate, but honestly anyone intending on putting a twin turbo 6L v8 in an 80's cult classic corolla DOESNT HAVE ANY IDEA!!!!!

dr1ft-pig
29th October 2007, 05:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (medwin46 @ Oct 29 2007, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427615)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparkle86 @ Oct 29 2007, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427600)
Na what we hate is people that always think that their way is best and no one else has any idea![/b]

Im sorry to be the one to tell you mate, but honestly anyone intending on putting a twin turbo 6L v8 in an 80's cult classic corolla DOESNT HAVE ANY IDEA!!!!!
[/b][/quote]

so true, ls2 is going way over the top and as i stated before there would be no car left afterwards, the fuckin thing wouldn't fit between the rails let alone the strut towers, u may be able to get it in there but theres no way your gonna be able to run a brake booster or even fit a set of headers on it at that

so why dont you think things through a little more before u say something silly like that agian, not having a dig just saying you would have to be retarted to even think of trying to do that :2thumbs:

LAZY
29th October 2007, 10:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (medwin46 @ Oct 29 2007, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427504)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparkle86 @ Oct 29 2007, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427501)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 29 2007, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427494)
aha my old thread.

Well what happen was.

Wanker
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I myself have been flamed for my approach to my own conversion. I have a 3sgte in my AE86 (for those who dont know, its toyota's 2 litre twin cam turbo from the gt4 celica) and it was enough of a headache. To fit a ls2 in there you're gonna have to do something incredible as far as modding the engine bay, firewall, etc. A standard ls2 puts out 300kw easily, twin turbo's are up around the 440kw! Have you considered the following: How are you going to deliver that power to the ground? Drivetrain, clutch, transmission, diff, and lastly tyres are all goin to fail without you spending $$$$$$$$$$$$ on upgrading these areas, in what is quite essentially a 25yr old corolla!! You're going to add a heap of weight over the fron end, which in turn will reduce the weight distributuion to the rear end, and probably result in you sitting in the one spot either through lack of traction or breaking whatever fails first in your drivedtrain. If you really want a v8 in an ae86, why not toyota's own v8, matched to the supra gearbox etc. Heaps of torque, not adding all the weight, and a hell of a lot cheaper too.

I think the people who are so hung up on the 4a motor are stuck in the past. Yeah they're a ripper motor, but to say that 86's should only have a hard revving na 1600 in them or else its ruined just showes people's ignorance and misconception.
[/b][/quote]

If I could put a v12 in a lotus elise I would, have you ever seen an old boxy renault with twin turbo v6 competing in b class rally? I have and they drive like go-karts.

The rest of your comments are shit, what your really saying is gee, I wish I had a deep wallet like his.

"How are you going to deliver that power to the ground?" Easy, its callled throttle control, have you ever seen footage of old f1 cars, they had 1.4ltr with a truck turbo making 1,000 horsepower.

"If you really want a v8 in an ae86, why not toyota's own v8, matched to the supra gearbox etc. Heaps of torque, not adding all the weight, and a hell of a lot cheaper too."
Why not a nissan? Or ford?

And also your comment about turbos making 140 kw, goes to show your nothing than a keyboard warrior.

LAZY
29th October 2007, 10:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dr1ft-pig @ Oct 29 2007, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427672)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (medwin46 @ Oct 29 2007, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427615)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparkle86 @ Oct 29 2007, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427600)

[/b][/quote]

so true, ls2 is going way over the top and as i stated before there would be no car left afterwards, the fuckin thing wouldn't fit between the rails let alone the strut towers, u may be able to get it in there but theres no way your gonna be able to run a brake booster or even fit a set of headers on it at that

so why dont you think things through a little more before u say something silly like that agian, not having a dig just saying you would have to be retarted to even think of trying to do that :2thumbs:
[/b][/quote]

Lol Another I ratherhave 20v than a ze.

Im not running a brake booster. I cant wait to hear another retarded question.

dr1ft-pig
29th October 2007, 10:34 PM
no its "i have to have a 20v rather than a ze"

again think things through before you say something

i did a 20v conversion because of a few reasons

1 in nsw i am restricted to an n/a vehicle till i get off my p's (2 yrs)

2 my 20v came free with my car therefore, i put it in

in the end though i like the revviness of the 20v, i have driven both 4agze and 20 both in sprinters and to be honest i did like the gze's amazing torque down low, but on the other hand i just love a motor i can rev the shit out of and make power up in the high rev range which the gze doesnt have

and retarted questions??? i think the only retarted question being asked here is the question about a retarted conversion which is an LS2 into a sprinter

fixeruperer
29th October 2007, 11:02 PM
just for arguments sake and hey this is ae86driving club my ze made good power to 8750rpm, i do like the 20v but i dont think it has anything on the gze i meen whats the point of revving it if its not going to do anything.

dr1ft-pig
29th October 2007, 11:14 PM
the one i drove had a stock ecu, i which case rev limiter would be around the same as a jdm bigport and thats around the 7500 mark

also was the gze stock???

obviously it had an aftermarket or tweaked ecu

fixeruperer
29th October 2007, 11:19 PM
yeh it had microtech, headwork but std cams, 10psi and fmic.

dr1ft-pig
29th October 2007, 11:23 PM
mmm yeah more boost would help, though the one i drove really had nothing above 7000

fixeruperer
29th October 2007, 11:31 PM
ah ok i cant remember what my was like standard but prolly the same(crap after 7k), fmic and ecu is wot did it tho.

Javal
29th October 2007, 11:53 PM
Hey, has anybody noticed how both the engine conversion threads are going to shit?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 29 2007, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427855)</div>
If I could put a v12 in a lotus elise I would, have you ever seen an old boxy renault with twin turbo v6 competing in b class rally? I have and they drive like go-karts.

The rest of your comments are shit, what your really saying is gee, I wish I had a deep wallet like his.

"How are you going to deliver that power to the ground?" Easy, its callled throttle control, have you ever seen footage of old f1 cars, they had 1.4ltr with a truck turbo making 1,000 horsepower.

"If you really want a v8 in an ae86, why not toyota's own v8, matched to the supra gearbox etc. Heaps of torque, not adding all the weight, and a hell of a lot cheaper too."

And also your comment about turbos making 140 kw, goes to show your nothing than a keyboard warrior.[/b]

And you know what mate, you don't really have a leg to stand on here.

So i'm going to spell out the hard facts, and even correct all the bullshit in that last post of yours.

The 'Boxy old Renault' you refer to is actually the Renault 5 Turbo II. and did NOT feature a mid mount V6. It had a 1.4L OHV Turbo 4cyl.
The car that featured your mid mount V6 was the MG Metro 6R4. and it was NOT twin turbo. 3000cc NA V6.

It doesn't matter how absolutely amazing your throttle control with your right foot, you are going to have trouble putting that power to the ground. You know the F1 cars from the turbocharged era ran SLICK tires up to 14" wide? No doubt their skills (including throttle control) have a great deal to do with it, but these cars are set up to a point that is far beyond the reach of any of us, including you.

Take note, there IS such a thing as too much power for a platform.

Oh, and calling the turbochargers that were used in F1 'Truck turbos' does not do them any justice.

As for the Toyota v Nissan v Ford debate:

There is NO reason why you can't use any of those engines, but there ARE reasons why you wouldn't.

Nissan VQ45:
Good engine, but no manual trans adapter kit (bell housing / clutch assy) readily available. Custom gear would be a necessity.
There is also the hassles of interfacing the Toyota loom with the Nissan engine / ECU, which is a headfuck in itself. Very wide angle engine, would have fitment problems.

Ford 5.4L 4cam:
Doesnt Rev, Toothpick conrods, asthmatic 3 valve head CAST IRON BLOCK. Heavy as fuck. Very wide, too. I doubt it would get CLOSE to fitting between the strut towers as it is a moderate squeeze in a Falcon engine bay. Wiring would be even worse than the Nissan V8, not to mention the cost would be no less than $5k including gearbox.

Don't even get me started on the old Ford 5L.

Do your research and it all adds up.

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

If you come on here asking for ideas / help, accept that people are going to have views that differ from yours.
If you already have your heart set on an LS2 conversion, then make a build thread with pictures. You're going to make alot less enemies that way.

SO THERE IT IS, IN BLACK AND WHITE FOR YOU.

And a final word:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/157527.jpg

dr1ft-pig
29th October 2007, 11:54 PM
yeah the 1 i drove just had stock cooler mounted up front and thats about it

fuck they go hard down low but

86xxx
30th October 2007, 08:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 29 2007, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427855)</div>

And also your comment about turbos making 140 kw, goes to show your nothing than a keyboard warrior.[/b]

If that v12 weighed as little as the lotus elise this might be a good idea, but throwing an overly heavy motor into what is also in the same class as the sprinter as far as lightwight nimble cars, is just ruining what the car had going for it to start with.

My comments make perfect sense and anyone else who wanted to get involved would back me up. Hell if you really want i'll send delazy over to this thread and see how much he manages to drum into your head. Your comment was only because you yourself cannot think of anything intellegent to say. Deep wallet you reckon?! (gotta love these guys :rolleyes: ) head over to this one mate http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...2239&st=900 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/index.php?showtopic=12239&st=900) and lets see your build up buddy. And since you brought the whole how deep's your wallet into it chech out this one too http://forums.tascommodores.com/index.php?showtopic=7489 deep wallet, phhhtt dont talk yourself into a hole buddy :rolleyes:

Yeah, so throttle control will enable me to run my twin turbo 6L v8 through my JDM T50 yeah?!? Sweet as man, where can i get a bellhousing?? Mate, when you upgrade power you must upgrade everything else, pretty common knowledge really. Bet those old f1 cars with 'truck' turbo on it didnt have a extremely weak gearbox behind it....

A toyota gearbox will mate to a toyota engine far far easier than a nissan or ford one, and you'll be hard pressed to find a gearbox from either of these companies that will fit in the sprinter's tunnel.

As for turbo's making 140kw, i have read numerous articles on twin turboed ls1 and ls2 motors, and 440kw is the safe power output without straining the motor. Which would be more than you'd ever need at all, especially in a 800kg corolla.

But please, do us all the favour of doing this conversion mr i got deep wallet. We all want to see a build up thread however, photos along the way. Otherwise you're going to be labeled a dreaming school kid with no idea and you will get flamed forever on here, the kid that thought he could lol

LAZY
30th October 2007, 12:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Javal @ Oct 29 2007, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427919)</div>
Hey, has anybody noticed how both the engine conversion threads are going to shit?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 29 2007, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427855)

And you know what mate, you don't really have a leg to stand on here.

So i'm going to spell out the hard facts, and even correct all the bullshit in that last post of yours.

The 'Boxy old Renault' you refer to is actually the Renault 5 Turbo II. and did NOT feature a mid mount V6. It had a 1.4L OHV Turbo 4cyl.
The car that featured your mid mount V6 was the MG Metro 6R4. and it was NOT twin turbo. 3000cc NA V6.

It doesn't matter how absolutely amazing your throttle control with your right foot, you are going to have trouble putting that power to the ground. You know the F1 cars from the turbocharged era ran SLICK tires up to 14" wide? No doubt their skills (including throttle control) have a great deal to do with it, but these cars are set up to a point that is far beyond the reach of any of us, including you.

Take note, there IS such a thing as too much power for a platform.

Oh, and calling the turbochargers that were used in F1 'Truck turbos' does not do them any justice.

As for the Toyota v Nissan v Ford debate:

There is NO reason why you can't use any of those engines, but there ARE reasons why you wouldn't.

Nissan VQ45:
Good engine, but no manual trans adapter kit (bell housing / clutch assy) readily available. Custom gear would be a necessity.
There is also the hassles of interfacing the Toyota loom with the Nissan engine / ECU, which is a headfuck in itself. Very wide angle engine, would have fitment problems.

Ford 5.4L 4cam:
Doesnt Rev, Toothpick conrods, asthmatic 3 valve head CAST IRON BLOCK. Heavy as fuck. Very wide, too. I doubt it would get CLOSE to fitting between the strut towers as it is a moderate squeeze in a Falcon engine bay. Wiring would be even worse than the Nissan V8, not to mention the cost would be no less than $5k including gearbox.

Don't even get me started on the old Ford 5L.

Do your research and it all adds up.

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

If you come on here asking for ideas / help, accept that people are going to have views that differ from yours.
If you already have your heart set on an LS2 conversion, then make a build thread with pictures. You're going to make alot less enemies that way.

SO THERE IT IS, IN BLACK AND WHITE FOR YOU.

And a final word:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/157527.jpg
[/b][/quote]

The renault used in b class rally had a v6 twin.

I never said anything about my throttle control, read what I type carefully. And the only option turbos they had came from trucks.

And also, I never came here asking for ideas. I never said that ford or toyota are shit, at the end of the day i have a low k newer engine with more horsepower.

LAZY
30th October 2007, 12:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (medwin46 @ Oct 30 2007, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427983)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 29 2007, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427855)

If that v12 weighed as little as the lotus elise this might be a good idea, but throwing an overly heavy motor into what is also in the same class as the sprinter as far as lightwight nimble cars, is just ruining what the car had going for it to start with.

My comments make perfect sense and anyone else who wanted to get involved would back me up. Hell if you really want i'll send delazy over to this thread and see how much he manages to drum into your head. Your comment was only because you yourself cannot think of anything intellegent to say. Deep wallet you reckon?! (gotta love these guys :rolleyes: ) head over to this one mate <a href="http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...2239&st=900" target="_blank">http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...2239&st=900 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/index.php?showtopic=12239&st=900)</a> and lets see your build up buddy. And since you brought the whole how deep's your wallet into it chech out this one too <a href="http://forums.tascommodores.com/index.php?showtopic=7489" target="_blank">http://forums.tascommodores.com/index.php?showtopic=7489 (http://forums.tascommodores.com/index.php?showtopic=7489)</a> deep wallet, phhhtt dont talk yourself into a hole buddy :rolleyes:

Yeah, so throttle control will enable me to run my twin turbo 6L v8 through my JDM T50 yeah?!? Sweet as man, where can i get a bellhousing?? Mate, when you upgrade power you must upgrade everything else, pretty common knowledge really. Bet those old f1 cars with 'truck' turbo on it didnt have a extremely weak gearbox behind it....

A toyota gearbox will mate to a toyota engine far far easier than a nissan or ford one, and you'll be hard pressed to find a gearbox from either of these companies that will fit in the sprinter's tunnel.

As for turbo's making 140kw, i have read numerous articles on twin turboed ls1 and ls2 motors, and 440kw is the safe power output without straining the motor. Which would be more than you'd ever need at all, especially in a 800kg corolla.

But please, do us all the favour of doing this conversion mr i got deep wallet. We all want to see a build up thread however, photos along the way. Otherwise you're going to be labeled a dreaming school kid with no idea and you will get flamed forever on here, the kid that thought he could lol
[/b][/quote]

Funny someone that has 3sgte and can't understand that they weight the same. :rolleyes:

86xxx
30th October 2007, 12:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 30 2007, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=428073)</div>
Funny someone that has 3sgte and can't understand that they weight the same. :rolleyes:[/b]

Would you care to explain this to me and the rest of the members reading this, is it just me or does that ^^^ not make any sense at all??

mikewestphoto
30th October 2007, 01:46 PM
Lazy, one thing that gets me is, if you couldn't license a 2.1l turbo engine, why go to a LS2 or is this conversion engineerable?

Javal
30th October 2007, 02:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 30 2007, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=428070)</div>
The renault used in b class rally had a v6 twin.

I never said anything about my throttle control, read what I type carefully. And the only option turbos they had came from trucks.

And also, I never came here asking for ideas. I never said that ford or toyota are shit, at the end of the day i have a low k newer engine with more horsepower.[/b]

Get your shit right.
Renault 5 Turbo II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_5_Turbo)

MG Metro 6R4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Metro_6R4#Metro_6R4_Rally_Car)

Oh, oh, you didn't say anything about throttle control?
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 29 2007, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427855)</div>
"How are you going to deliver that power to the ground?" Easy, its callled throttle control, have you ever seen footage of old f1 cars, they had 1.4ltr with a truck turbo making 1,000 horsepower.[/b]

And what, you think the only turbos that existed before 1985 were on trucks? I am beginning to think you are ACTUALLY retarded.
First mass produced turbo car was in 1979, near the end of the turbo F1 era. You think they 'had no choice' but to use 'Truck turbos'?!?

Oh shit Mr Schecktor, teh Turboz is blown1111!!!

Oh don't worry, we'll pull the turbo off the Kenworth towing the team trailer! they are one and the same!

You didn't think for a moment, that with all the money and facilities availible to them, they JUST MIGHT HAVE manufactured some parts of their own?

In summary, you fail at the internet.

Go make a build thread or stop fucking posing.

86xxx
30th October 2007, 02:21 PM
Love this site !!!!!! Javal, you win! Woo Hoo Newbie/dreamer/school kid just got shut down! Love it!

verm69
30th October 2007, 02:29 PM
bwahahaha! you fail at the internet... thats classic.... :jerry:

good luck putting a LS2 into a 86 dude :2thumbs:

just remember to post photo's when you fuck your car

and there's nothing wrong with new idea's sparkle86.... only retarded one's...

dr1ft-pig
30th October 2007, 02:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (medwin46 @ Oct 30 2007, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=428120)</div>
Love this site !!!!!! Javal, you win! Woo Hoo Newbie/dreamer/school kid just got shut down! Love it![/b]

:lol: +1

and LAZY shouldnt you be out practising for the special olympics???

us_ae86
30th October 2007, 02:31 PM
Good luck with the swap dude!

LAZY
30th October 2007, 02:52 PM
thanks.

dr1ft - must suck being on your P's.

medwin46 - Im not a kid, for all you know I could be your father.

ken - Both engines are heavy.

Javal - ONE MORE TIME!!!!

Renault b class- Car was modified to suit B class rally.
So you really think they were going to use those turbos to achieve over 1000bhp on a 1.4ltr????????????????

Lol this shit's funny

dr1ft-pig
30th October 2007, 02:54 PM
na dont suck too bad, doesnt worry me having an n/a hachi, im dame sure id rather a 20v than a overkill 6L v8

Javal
30th October 2007, 02:59 PM
Top 10 Group B cars of all Time. (http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/car_news_article.aspx?cp-documentid=475269)

JUST READ IT, OK.

+ the links in my previous post.

70XIN
30th October 2007, 03:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 30 2007, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=428143)</div>
thanks.

So you really think they were going to use those turbos to achieve over 1000bhp on a 1.4ltr????????????????

Lol this shit's funny[/b]

not worth your time of day arguing on this forum

the toymod's kid (?) was laughed and jeered at when he said he was going to do a TT 1UZFE in his KE70, look who's laughing now

i say go for it. engine mounts, trans tunnel mods, engine and box from an LS2 , hilux diff and custom tailshaft .. all you have to do then is squeeze it in.

ae71
30th October 2007, 03:08 PM
crazy pants..

i think if you want heaps of power in a corolla be it a sprinter or something with the same chassis, then anything larger than a 2L is too much.

i 3sgte imo is fairly crazy power wise. but if you want heaps of power then this is a good option.

i do very very much agree that isnt not the best option.

my question is, who much are you willing to spend, what do you actually want to do with the car? it wouldn't fit into any classes for cuircit, with 450kw+ its not a street car, i dont think you will be able to use it in most rallies because it is too modifiyed, its much more than needed power for drifting, when you look at D1 with the speeds they have, hey heaviest cars only have around 400-500ps and they get heaps of smoke if thats what you want.

apart for the weight over front axle to make it very unbalanced because you cant mount the motor for enough back without relocating the fire wall a foot back. adding weight isnt so bad if its between the wheels, but adding more/foward of the front or rear isnt good. it would make the front understeer with grip/drifting and it would also make it a lot harder to hold slides due to the rear having much less weight and making it prone to spinning.

as for a high speed car, the chassis is a little small and you do want a little more balanced weight, they are too nimble for anything too fast. a cruser.. i can think of a lot more comfortable/cool cars than a sprinter.

LAZY
30th October 2007, 03:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (70XIN @ Oct 30 2007, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=428156)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Oct 30 2007, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=428143)
thanks.

Lol this shit's funny[/b]

not worth your time of day arguing on this forum

the toymod's kid (?) was laughed and jeered at when he said he was going to do a TT 1UZFE in his KE70, look who's laughing now

i say go for it. engine mounts, trans tunnel mods, engine and box from an LS2 , hilux diff and custom tailshaft .. all you have to do then is squeeze it in.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks,

If you check the first pages of this thread, it's the same type of replys I got when doing the mitsu convertion, but i did it.

RobertoX
30th October 2007, 03:28 PM
all im going to say is

ls1 and 2 are quite light for their size

but rubbish

have fun

johl
30th October 2007, 04:40 PM
but streeter said that he'd do it for him... and for an extra 20G's up front before he starts he'l move his firewall back 9 inches and reposition the seat further back and central thus increasing the balance of the car ;)
what a top bloke. lol

blair
30th October 2007, 05:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johl @ Oct 30 2007, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=428230)</div>
but streeter said that he'd do it for him... and for an extra 20G's up front before he starts he'l move his firewall back 9 inches and reposition the seat further back and central thus increasing the balance of the car ;)
what a top bloke. lol[/b]

baha oooo feel the burn streeter.

verm69
30th October 2007, 05:02 PM
LAZY, no one is saying that you can't do it....

they're just saying that it'll cost you more that what it will actually be worth and that it's a stupid idea...

i'm sure i could put a airplane engine in and 86 if i really wanted to spend the money... but it doesn't make it a good idea

edit: oh yeah, and that you won't be able to do anything with it but look at it...

rthy
30th October 2007, 06:08 PM
indeed! ;)

now LAZY, just a general question how would you go about fitting the engine and turbos? where do you plan to fit the turbos and what measures will you do to make the room

jdmcoupe
30th October 2007, 06:55 PM
thread closed.... lazy could you start another thread about the V, i personally wouldn't bother as all these kids have no respect for people with different ideas...

medwin i personally think your a tool

anyone has a problem with this please PM me