PDA

View Full Version : oil cooooolers, what you have? how do you rate it?

BLACK COUPE
17th March 2009, 07:11 PM
as the title states im looking into buying myself an oil cooler (finally:crying:) thought it would be a good idea to see what you guys are using and where you got it from, prices and how you rate it, the cars used as a daily and i hit up qr as much as i can afford for the drift days/nights, im running basic mods, 4age bigport mild cams, extrators, thermo fan etc, my oil gets bull shit hot when driving in traffic and whilst drifting on track (100-120 degrees>@)

so yea.....go!!!!!!!!!!

fantapants
17th March 2009, 08:15 PM
got an earls.... no idea how much had it on when i got it.

just did a day of drifitng and driving like shit in the heat etc etc etc and the car never saw over 70 degrees in water... no oil temp etc lol

BLACK COUPE
17th March 2009, 08:18 PM
awsome thanks mate, ill check them out aswel, just want to no wat a few people are running first before i buy something shiitty

45aken
17th March 2009, 09:37 PM
Serek 19 row
-10 lines

slydar
17th March 2009, 09:46 PM
basically, you want serek, mocal or setrab.

earls is made by one of those brands. but theyre basically the "legit" brands.

and if you can, you want it with - 10 fittings already on it. be careful not to get one with stupid inverted flare fittings.

you want either a female tapered thread, or a male AN -10.

-8 is too small.

there are also some chinese cores, which are ok.

and then there are the chinese knock off universal kits.

these are sorta ok too, they work, but the lines are ugly and stupidly long, and you can building yourself a custom set up, for hardly any more money, with hot as AN fittings, and perfect length lines.

slide86
17th March 2009, 10:30 PM
this is mine. full trust kit with thermostat

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/9138.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/9140.jpg

slydar
17th March 2009, 11:10 PM
and then there are the jap kits :)

which are as awesome as it gets. but probably too expensive now.

slide86
18th March 2009, 09:23 AM
when the dollar was good, that one cost me $400.......second hand

45aken
18th March 2009, 09:58 AM
does that grex kit use speedflow/earls fittings?
some look like they are but the 90 bends off the cooler don't.

PuGZoR
18th March 2009, 11:30 AM
Haven't used mine yet, but I've installed a B&M Supercooler onto my AE86. Awesome kit, can't give it enough praise. Not so much that it's shiny with braided lines and whatnot, and the cooler isn't even that big, but was cooler + lines and other install parts + remote filter adaptor (for the block) + remote filter housing + filter, for like $120 from Rocket Industries. No idea what price they are now, but has been the single most impressive product I've received so far, for the price. No idea what they are now, or if they still make the same one I got...

slydar
18th March 2009, 12:22 PM
when the dollar was good, that one cost me $400.......second hand

yeah. my set up cost me about that brand new. no thermostat, but all brand new high quality stuff. just gotta think outside the square :)

does that grex kit use speedflow/earls fittings?
some look like they are but the 90 bends off the cooler don't.

that one odd 90* looking 90 is just made up from 2 or 3 peices thats all. its an AN stuff for sure. like a straight hose end, a 90 female/female or female make, and an adapter.

racsov
18th March 2009, 08:12 PM
I run a china $350 kit. works well, after install there was a noticiable drop it water temps. the fake speedfow fittings are horrible and you need to be really careful installing them, and the lines are too long being a universal kit. but apart from that, cant fault it..

NIZLAH
18th March 2009, 08:43 PM
I've read stories of cheapo kits causing too much pressure drop and in turn engine failure.... although a few people seem to be using them with no drama's....
I am also in the market for a relocation kit at present and want to know what to avoid etc (I guess it has been stated already) but any specifics would be helpful..

ke70dave
19th March 2009, 11:21 AM
anyone got anything against the stocko oil cooler?

i have a 20V sandwitch plate, and an ae82 oil cooler

havent put it on though as havent been bothered

all these other kits look very expensive for doin the same thing?

and also what is the advantage of the relocation kit? i havent pulled a oil filter any easier than that of a 4age..its just sitting there waiting to be pulled off!

johl
19th March 2009, 02:48 PM
but for people with extractors that look like a bowl of noodles or they have a snail sitting there it gets harder to remove it

af300e
19th March 2009, 04:34 PM
this is mine. full trust kit with thermostat

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/9138.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/9140.jpg

They don't look like -10 fittings, more like -8? Most of the remote oil filter systems are -8 it seems. Surely if -8 is good enough for the filter, it's good enough for the cooler??

In case anyone is wondering, -8 is approx 13mm, -10 is approx 16mm.

NIZLAH
19th March 2009, 07:43 PM
Can anyone comment on the following kits...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160320302126

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190293543245

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180336762911

Hen may possibly be a nut
24th March 2009, 02:47 AM
I once heard mention of using a WRX water cooled adaptor block which you could put in between the filter and the block. I never got around to looking into it, but it sounded reasonable to me, and another option to look at.

- Simple, just the adaptor and two water lines.
- Won't cool your oil too far (basically an inbuilt thermostat)

But you need to know your cooling system isn't on the edge already.

Hen

af300e
24th March 2009, 08:32 AM
I once heard mention of using a WRX water cooled adaptor block which you could put in between the filter and the block. I never got around to looking into it, but it sounded reasonable to me, and another option to look at.

- Simple, just the adaptor and two water lines.
- Won't cool your oil too far (basically an inbuilt thermostat)

But you need to know your cooling system isn't on the edge already.

Hen

Great suggestion.

Also, 5s cooler is similar in design and easy to find at your friendly self-wreck. As well as not over cooling your oil this sort of system is likely to bring it up to operating temp more quickly.

JUG-HEAD
24th March 2009, 12:00 PM
where do i get the sandwhich plate with the holes for the bigger -10 fittings? can only find one suitable for gauge sensors and the like

NIZLAH
26th March 2009, 10:05 PM
can anyone comment on the 3 different kits I posted up a few posts back..?

n00bvak
27th March 2009, 12:23 PM
the trust kit comes with an-10 fittings
picked up the same trust sensor and oil blocks from some jap site for for 300 delivered add 1oo for cooler and 100 for some lines and connectors and you have a brand new kit :)

The $ was a bit better back then, cant remember the site now, but had heaps of awesome stuff for cheep!!!

mini bus
31st March 2009, 10:23 AM
people with oil coolers
can you tell me when putting on the oil filter onto the sandwich plate
do you just do it up hand tight like normal
or do you have to do it up abit tighter????

advan86
5th April 2009, 10:42 PM
Does anyone use the standard 4age FWD one?It has the return to the sump,I think there found on the notch back twin cams.I just picked up a 180sx one fits fine but its not the remote oil type and it has the standard hose clamp setup which i dont realy like but it will have to do for the time being.I knew a guy who used a commodore vt standard automatic cooler dunno how good it worked for him tho.

NIZLAH
5th April 2009, 11:58 PM
I just want to know if any of those kits I posted are going to work? without causing to much pressure drop due to the size/length of the lines..........
I recall reading about someone using a just jap kit and fuckin the engine because of this problem very shortly after installing it...

advan86
7th April 2009, 09:36 PM
Mabee you should try the standard toyota one?At least that way you have one.

NIZLAH
7th April 2009, 09:49 PM
Mabee you should try the standard toyota one?At least that way you have one.

nah I want to run a relocation kit as my extractors will foul the filter because of the 20v sandwich plate making it sit out so far... plus I don't trust rubber lines all that much....

All I want to know is which cheapo kits are ok to use, without causing a massive pressure loss because of the added capacity and thickness/length of the hoses...

Someone is surely running on of those style set-ups... ?

biggo
8th April 2009, 07:54 AM
i run a universal one simular to what roscov was talking about. The core is like a small intercooler but yair i cant fault it. took a bit of a jifty to git it fitting right.

John at import bits was telling me that the IAP chinese kits had problems with the rubber used inside the braid. He was saying that some nissans ended up with rubber in the motor at oil changes. Not sure if this has been fixed but it was awhile ago. Oil presure drop is like non existant on mine, but i guess that cos i have a healthy pump. Mine is full flow aswell.

NIZLAH
8th April 2009, 10:35 AM
cool cheers for the input biggo...

biggo
8th April 2009, 07:19 PM
I forgot to add that mine being shinese it didnt seal very well, ended up putting pipe sealant on all of the joins heh

Oly AE86
8th April 2009, 08:47 PM
Yea, I started with said "China Kit", many different brands out there, some with different color anodized adapters, all the same stuff from same factory. Kit I used had -10 fitting on the cooler block, then -8 on the cooler!

I ended up buying used Trust 13 row Thermostatic item from Gilly, its not filter relocation model but quality is better and piece of mind is nice. Just recently I moved position of the cooler and because the Trust kit uses "Earls" fittings, I was able to goto Autobarn Capalaba and get new 120 degree "Red Horse" fitting (same thread and design as earls) for $40 bucks. Carefully cut down the line and installed new fitting.

Note about the 20V adapter block. I was using it on my GZE block because it made the cooler plate easy to install, but made the filter sit VERY close to the Turbo. I have since removed the 20V adapter and used the std 16V threaded bold to secure the filter. I had to change the setup of the sensors (factory oil press, autometer oil temp & press) and oil path and then grind a very small amount off the engine mount, but now its all in there very snug.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4541/oilcoolersml.jpg

NIZLAH
8th April 2009, 09:50 PM
cool, cheers Oly, given me something to think about in terms of the sandwich plate...

Danzo
14th April 2009, 10:27 AM
I run a B&M 19 row cooler, HKS sandwich plate, with some decent braided line and fittings, cost me about 500 bucks all up.. should do the trick.

Nic19
2nd February 2010, 06:07 PM
Can anyone help me. I'm about to install an oil cooler kit with the filter relocation. And I'm wondering if u are supposed to leave the original sandwich plate from the 4age and then screw your sandwich plate to that or do I get rid of the standard one? If u do get rid of it what fitting do u use to go into the black??

Touge Boy
2nd February 2010, 06:16 PM
I run the same kit as oly on my 16V. Trust non-relo kit.

Took less than 30mins to put in, inc. making the brackets, and I didnt see oil temps over 80-odd degrees out on the track. Im also using a TRD 2 core copper radiator, I never worry about temps now.

Nic19
2nd February 2010, 06:27 PM
hey touge boy. can u answe rmy question at all?

Touge Boy
2nd February 2010, 06:40 PM
Alrighty... im assuming you have a kit like so?

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/9/9/35902.jpg

The plate on the right screws to the block where the filter sat before. Mount the plate on the left (Filter relocation) onto the strut tower or similar. One hose goes to this. Then it feeds to the cooler. Then out of the cooler back into the plate screwed onto the block.

If you're running a factory style oil cooler like I was, then remove everything, and block off the original fittings inc. the sump return.

Also, Mount the relocation plate so the filter is actually upside down/screws up INTO the plate. Means when you change the filter you dont have oil going everywhere.

Did that answer your question?

Nic19
2nd February 2010, 06:44 PM
i knew how to run it. im asking where the filter usually screws onto. do you remove the standard oil filter plate or just leave it in place?
am i correct in saying the lines can be ran in the wrong direction through the filter??

Touge Boy
2nd February 2010, 06:56 PM
I hoped this would have answered your question.\

If you're running a factory style oil cooler like I was, then remove everything, and block off the original fittings inc. the sump return.

If you have a full kit like in the pic I posted, remove EVERYTHING else. It will replace everything.

The lines CAN be run the wrong way... but it should be pretty easy to nut out from looking at the inside of the block attatchment which way the oil goes.

Oil enters from the outer hole, goes through the filter and then returns through the centre hole. So if you have a kit like above, the fitting on the outer edge will lead to the filter block, then go from there to the cooler, and then return into the block via the centre fitting.

That help? :)

Does anyone use the standard 4age FWD one?It has the return to the sump,I think there found on the notch back twin cams.

I had one on mine. Replaced it with the trust kit.

Nic19
2nd February 2010, 07:24 PM
Yeh I have everything removed but I don't have a fitting to go into the block and new plate. The fitting I had into the other filter plate I had makes it too long.