PDA

View Full Version : engine installation

koulouris#03
23rd December 2008, 05:32 PM
hi guys.

im currently looking to buy a mad engine for my hachi. its a 4agte motor, and was wondering if there is anyone whom has a bit of experiance with these installations, that will be up for doing the conversion, and earning a bit of dosh...

anyways if you are interested give me a yell so we can arrange some communications, and a price...

cheers.

john.

focus_7
23rd December 2008, 10:19 PM
Sprinterman68 can do anything.

koulouris#03
25th December 2008, 01:58 PM
yeah.
i cant afford sprintermans rates.

Gunner
25th December 2008, 03:54 PM
well save your pennies then, I'll do it at $100p/h plus parts

koulouris#03
25th December 2008, 06:04 PM
ha!!!
im an a/c and refrigeration tech and still dont charge that much to do absolutly critical work!!!!
if your keen to get some good cash money and repeat work, give me a realistic price.
how many hours would you be looking at drive inn- drive out for the entire install.

Gunner
25th December 2008, 06:45 PM
couldn't give you a figure till i've seen it, and buildin fast cars is a bit different to a/c and refigeration.

Also if you call any decent workshop, to get a quote, it will be $90-100p/h.

shift_rook
25th December 2008, 07:20 PM
yeah but for most of the guys on here i wouldn't pay much over $20 an hour haha, with a few exceptions, if you were in Vic i'd help you out for free. good luck anyway mate

hinricp
27th December 2008, 05:46 PM
If you are a tech then do it yourself - I did my first 4age conversion in 1993 and I work in hospital admin! Sprintermans rates are fair and I have seen cars where people have had the work done cheaper and paid the price in the long run.

reecegze
27th December 2008, 11:39 PM
Any one thats a refrigeration tech is on alot more benefinicial then any car mech john...Its all straight forward dude But like you finding the time to do the work is hard as we work all these hours, bloody summer!!!! :S I built my 4agte on weekends mate on and off call and on holidays.. And i assure you i work alot more hours Mc alpine hussman minimum 14hrs a day.. Give it a go urself and if you need a hand i could help you get it in on a day i got free of work and misses :P

AE86R
28th December 2008, 01:48 AM
sprinter man is good

redsprinter
28th December 2008, 10:03 AM
dude why be tight on the most important part of your car ... plus you say you gonna get a "mad" engine. then why cheap out on the installation ... worst thing you can do is have a "cheap" install.. you will always be chasing problem and the car will forever live in you garage .

call sprinterman68 .....his rate are not expensive .... considering the amount of sprinter experience he has got behind him....

koulouris#03
28th December 2008, 01:48 PM
you guys all raise very valid points.
i agree with not cheaping out on the most important part of the car.
but im not really happy with $6000 quotes to do the engine swap.

shift_rook
28th December 2008, 06:25 PM
$6000! that seems a bit over the top?? how many hours would it take?? 10-12?? i did one into a kesev and i doubt it took much longer than 15 and i had absolutely no idea what i was doing. $500 an hour is a bit much i think

redsprinter
28th December 2008, 07:25 PM
6k is that a drive in drive out price ?

6k is too much for a install ... but if its install, then wire , then tune ...it soon adds up quickly.

i have been quoted the following:

complete install- 3k
wiring (JEM) not includeing the purchase of the ecu- 2k
full tune - fault finding- 1k

please define "install"

sundee
29th December 2008, 10:09 AM
Engine and box is pretty simple, if u have an engine crain ;) but their cheap to hire aswell, ecu - wire up as per diagram, intercooler get a core mount it up, get a dump pipe then rest of the system is pretty easy if u have a welder, and get it on a trailer get your I/C pipes fabed up and then off to a tuner of your choice, it's not that hard, I cut my teath at 21 putting an sr into my 1600 and it was great fun, a challenge and a massive learning curve, we all have budgets guys so don't rip on him he's not being skimp if he is trying to stick to a figure, we all know they blow out! If u already have the engine u can get away with it pretty cheap, if u don't have the time then it's what u will enevedably have to pay for.

HACHI - 6X
30th December 2008, 05:50 PM
i agree with some of the other guys here, why not do abit more research and try to DIY u learn as u go along the way with putting it in and will get a better understanding with what you're working with. but then again ive learnt my lesson with that already haha, dont attempt something u are not sure of, as everyone here would say " DO IT ONCE, DO IT PROPERLY" LOL. u should give sprinterman a call, im sure it will be well worth it knowing it was done professionally, everyone here will know that he knows his shit man !! well hope i didnt scare yarh or nothing, it wont hurt giving it a go man but if u want it to be reliable and last then let the pro's do it ! =D

reecegze
31st December 2008, 05:43 PM
hes obviously called sprinterman and been discouraged by the price hes asking..

koulouris#03
1st January 2009, 02:55 AM
thats correct.

i already have the motor coming out of a donor hachi to go into my one. it shouldntbe that hard... then again im not an auto mechanic.

sundee
1st January 2009, 07:20 AM
job title doesnt mean u cant figure out how to do it.. if it did i would and many of us would be paying out our butt for stuff

Gunner
5th January 2009, 07:12 PM
what exactly are you lookin to have done,

Are you already running a 4ag?

What parts will you have for it?

What parts will you need?

Answer these three questions, and I'll be able to give you reasonable figure.

koulouris#03
6th January 2009, 11:07 PM
i currently have to hachis. one with a very nice body and interior, and the other with an excelent motor and running gear, but shit body.
i want to put the motor, brakes, suspension, and all other goodies from shit body sprinter into good body sprinter.

the good body sprinter is a stock aus spec hachi. 4ac.

im not sure of what parts i will need. i would assume not many, cause they are already in one complete car.

this is all the info i have.

reecegze
7th January 2009, 12:18 AM
transfer all the fuel lines..over for starters and swap tanks if its a jdm in shitty sprinter.. You wanna sell any parts from the shitty sprinter :)

koulouris#03
7th January 2009, 11:53 AM
once i have done the swap, i will be selling all the left overs. at this point i dont know what im gonna need and not need from each hachi.

Medwin_3sGTE_AE86
7th January 2009, 01:10 PM
once i have done the swap, i will be selling all the left overs. at this point i dont know what im gonna need and not need from each hachi.

Let me get this straight....

- You have 2x Sprinters. 1x of which has the 'mad' engine and good running gear but shitty body, the other has shit running gear but good body. Correct?

- You wish to put all the running gear from the shitty bodied car into the good one? Yes?

- You were quoted $6k for a simple swap over job? Someone is trying to take you to the cleaners...

Have a crack at it mate. If the shitty bodied car is running, its only a matter of swapping everything over (wiring etc too) and it'll be fine. $6k is a bit outrageous if what i've listed above are infact the circumstances.

However, there is a fair bit of work (hours wise) in swapping it all over, hence the excessive quote. I am with most others on this one, attempt it yourself. If it looks like a 'Shit, am i gonna remember how that went' situation, take photos of it and draw diagrams etc, its not that hard!

HACHI - 6X
7th January 2009, 04:59 PM
Let me get this straight....

- You have 2x Sprinters. 1x of which has the 'mad' engine and good running gear but shitty body, the other has shit running gear but good body. Correct?

- You wish to put all the running gear from the shitty bodied car into the good one? Yes?

- You were quoted $6k for a simple swap over job? Someone is trying to take you to the cleaners...

Have a crack at it mate. If the shitty bodied car is running, its only a matter of swapping everything over (wiring etc too) and it'll be fine. $6k is a bit outrageous if what i've listed above are infact the circumstances.

However, there is a fair bit of work (hours wise) in swapping it all over, hence the excessive quote. I am with most others on this one, attempt it yourself. If it looks like a 'Shit, am i gonna remember how that went' situation, take photos of it and draw diagrams etc, its not that hard!

+1 on that !

Golberg
7th January 2009, 09:23 PM
How about I do all the work for you, and keep the shitty bodied AE86 afterwards, no charges?

Do know if that's honestly fair, but I'd do it, have plenty of time at the moment.

koulouris#03
7th January 2009, 09:56 PM
How about I do all the work for you, and keep the shitty bodied AE86 afterwards, no charges?

Do know if that's honestly fair, but I'd do it, have plenty of time at the moment.

hey bud. if you are serious about your offer, i would be keen. and would even throw in a set of aw11 mr2 seats. hit me up, if your keen.

i would be looking at doing the engine swap myself, but dont have a garage.

Golberg
8th January 2009, 01:07 AM
You have a PM :)

Rice86
14th January 2009, 02:36 PM
so is the car just a rolling shell?...

you can always make it cheaper by taking the current engine out, dropping the new engine in on your own...do what takes no brain to do, that will save people charging u with labour, then with stuff you know u cant do, u pay people

li21
14th January 2009, 11:41 PM
You talked to John Bates (Sprinterman68) already ?

It might sound like a bit... but if you want to get it done right the first time and dont have time/resources to DIY.. then John is your man.
Probably the best AE86 guy there is. People swear by his work.

redsprinter
15th January 2009, 11:01 AM
amen ...

koulouris#03
15th January 2009, 12:46 PM
i totally agree with you about sprinterman.
but my pockets are just not deep enough for sprinterman rates at the moment.
anyways. i am going through golberg to the job anyways.
he made me an offer i couldnt refuse!!!

redsprinter
15th January 2009, 01:42 PM
good on you dude best of luck .. will you be going through it with him/her . ???

it will be a good learning experince.

koulouris#03
16th January 2009, 08:46 PM
yeah. im gonna try and be there as much as possible. i wanna try and learn everything i can.