PDA

View Full Version : 20v Turbo...... is it a good way to go?

dave2221
19th March 2009, 09:26 PM
ok

so i have a 20v silvertop in my car..... bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, bigger cams and EMS comp........

later i am thinking the turbo route is the way i want to go for more power....

is there any advantage to running a 20v head on a gze bottom end with turbo attached?

or is it best to keep a gze head with the gze block?

basically with the bigger injectors, aftermarket comp ect, i am thinking i have some of the things necessary to run a half decent turbo setup...... just swap bottom end (for the forgies) and add a turbo instead of the supercharger.....

thoughts... opinions.... or cheese sandwiches are welcomed.

Rice86
19th March 2009, 09:30 PM
turbo!! oh ma god, is it twin turbo brah?...

yes go turbo, dont smoke weed, smoke tyres, its good for you

350hp4agte
19th March 2009, 09:31 PM
well if you already have a 20v i would get it built with ze or after market forges ya dont have to use a whole bottom end silver top 20v rods will handle boost and the blocks are 7rib with oilsqwerters an shit

dave2221
19th March 2009, 09:32 PM
interesting.... and possibly cheaper....

Vance
19th March 2009, 09:36 PM
just bolt a t28bb onto the silvertop. no need for gze bottom end unless you want crazy high power.

just bolt one on and keep to about 6-8psi. you will see about 150rwkw and itll be pretty safe.

personally i would prefer to lower the boost and keep to about 130rwkw. the engine will be responsive, you wont have to wait for power to kick in and you can keep a t50 and t series diff instead of having to upgrade them too.

slydar
19th March 2009, 09:43 PM
yeah. pistons arent needed really. if youve got a motor that runs already just use that.

most turbo oem cars are close to the cr of a st 20v now days anyway.
most oe turbo cars dont have as big an IC as you will probably use.
most oe cars have to be tuned for emssions (quite lean) you dont have to worry about that.
4ages are a very knock resistant engine.

all this adds up to a 20v 4age being one of the smarter choices as far as adding a turbo to an un opened motor goes.

350hp4agte
19th March 2009, 09:50 PM
true true i put a T25g on an na 20vst that had 160thou on the clock i only ran 6psi it made around 160hp atw and i drove it hard every day for about 8 months, it never blew up i took it off the road to build the motor

Vance
19th March 2009, 09:54 PM
how would a turbo bolted onto a blacktop go?

i dont want to run any more than 6psi. will it handle this or will it blow it?

what needs to be considered is this:
a 7afe factory turbo ran 8psi with standard internals. these internals are apparently weaker than a blacktops. however the 7afe factory turbo has standard 7afe rev limit of 6000rpm. i would still want to rev the blacktop to 7500-8000rpm.

Gunner
19th March 2009, 09:58 PM
I have to agree with these fellas, you've got the base, so it won't cost too much, I'll call you next week Mr Dave.

Gunner
19th March 2009, 10:00 PM
it would work if, it had a bloody good tune, and good fuel, and you were sensible

fantapants
19th March 2009, 10:01 PM
blaktop rods are mega spindly ...lighter than others but prone to stretch and folding :)

pretty sure beau ran blacktop standard for a season befor the block shat a rod out the side.

i have heard the bb turbo's dont like being used below 10psi? the bush bearings seem to like it better?

Vance
19th March 2009, 10:07 PM
maybe t25 is the go the just because theyre cheap and can be run decently at low psi.

did beau use a blacktop turbo?

Sprinter86
19th March 2009, 11:16 PM
All going well my 20v turbo will be starting soon! im aiming for a responsive setup, so around 9.8 to 1 comp forgies and a small GT25 style turbo..should be fun i hope, others have seen great results from turboing these!

I dont think the blacktop is the cheapest 4age to reliably turbo, the silvertop is more or less a GZE bottom end with different pistons, so its simple! :P

Bigwill
4th August 2012, 08:22 PM
i have ah 20v silvertop in mine just seen this therd thinking i will go this way before it gets a tune.

is it as simple as getting a turbo manifold and finding a small respoive turbo and getting a tune??

Matt
4th August 2012, 08:33 PM
To a point... Oil lines, water lines turbo and upgraded fuel system.

A few ppl run 1jz or even 2jz injectors on the 20v setups.

Gunner
4th August 2012, 08:36 PM
Sorta kinda, its just a balancing act. Imo a t25 is far too small for a 20v, sure it will make some power but it will fall over in the top end. Most people run a 28 for three reasons, its cheap, its easy to find and it works. As for BB vs bushed turbos, BB are better full stop, theyre newer, more refined and made of better materials, if they fail on a std engine, then that engine hasnt been looked after.

Gunner
4th August 2012, 08:42 PM
As for how to do it.

Turbo
ex manifold
inlet manifold
oil feed
oil return
water feed
water return
cooler kit
Exhaust
intake
extra fuel (many ways to do this, from standalone ecus, fuel controllers, extra injecltors, foggers etc etc)

If you have a secondary fuel system, then you may get away with a std ecu, but unless you know what youre doing, i dont suggest it.

Bigwill
4th August 2012, 09:17 PM
yea at the moment running ah microtec so should be able to tune more fuel through that? and aftermarket fuel reg?

Gunner
4th August 2012, 09:27 PM
Well thay makes things alot easier.

Fuel reg
Primary pump
lift pump
surge tank
injectors

Bigwill
4th August 2012, 09:50 PM
yea got a surge tank but need to re rig it cos the owner before me got it put in by fast peformance and doesnt
have a breather hose they have used it for the return on the tank, So what injetors are a good pic/bang for buck?

Gunner
4th August 2012, 09:55 PM
You have the the basic info you need, now do some research. Dont learn by being spoonfed dude ;)

Bigwill
4th August 2012, 10:11 PM
Yea just like having a chat to haha, cheers for the info man. have been looking all over the net there is alsorts that people are saying works well and doesnt spose at the end of the day its making it suit what you want it for track/Drift/Daily

Have been having a look at your build nice work btw :P

Gunner
4th August 2012, 10:29 PM
No worries wiil, let us know what you come up with.

Bigwill
4th August 2012, 11:02 PM
yea 4 sure