PDA

View Full Version : 15 rims on coilovers

PHA786
21st March 2009, 10:23 PM
Hi Guys

I have installed some second hand coilovers that i bought and i was told that 15" rims would fit on. Sadly the rims that i have don't fit. The rub against the sleave.

I have done a quick search and found some info on spacers, so that is one option.

Is there any other way i can use my current 15" rims? I can get some pics if needed.

AE86R
21st March 2009, 10:24 PM
what rims are they

PHA786
21st March 2009, 10:33 PM
The ones that are in this pick. Sorry i don't know the name or brand.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/5/9/6188.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/PHA786/?action=view&current=28-09-08003.jpg)

rthy
21st March 2009, 10:48 PM
depends on the offset and width... i guess ur wheels are like +20 to +30ish offset

corknose
22nd March 2009, 12:32 AM
haha get new ones like -20 lol should fix that and get 20mm spacers?:P

filfilfil
22nd March 2009, 12:45 AM
Hey PHA786
How much are they hitting by? RCA's may give you a bit if you are lowering but probably spacers are your easiest option...I just dont like big ones as they place strain on the stub axel. Depends on what you are doing with it and what stress you hammer it with...thats why spacers with the correct locator diameter are important...
Proper wheel offsets are the best solution...
Fil

PS your car looks neat!

--Redwork--
22nd March 2009, 01:07 AM
Does the rim rub or the tyre.? And how badly...
I would asume that it shouldn't be rubbing to badly so you could just get away with a set of thin ( think there usually 8mm) slip on spacers..

But in the end... Offset is king... Live buy the dish, die buy the dish.
So some new hoops should be on the cards...

Filfilfil... I understand that running spacers increases the stress load on the stub axle. but say for instance he has 15x8 +25 wheels currently. If he adds a 25mm spacer that would make his wheels in theory +0 offset... Witch seems to be quite acceptable around here... Dually noted that it does also increase strain in wheel studs.. And alot of bolt on type spacers usually come with wheel studs that should be thrown in the bin and never used..

Good luck PHA786. Hope you understood all that..

filfilfil
22nd March 2009, 02:01 AM
Dually noted that it does also increase strain in wheel studs.. And alot of bolt on type spacers usually come with wheel studs that should be thrown in the bin and never used..

Yep, thus the need for centre locator rings so no matter what the offset the load is not just on the studs....and yes some studs should go in the bin! We do only have 4 on old toyotas and if one snaps....there goes almost 50% clamping!
Some suppliers spec the correct locator diameter on the rims they get made...I worry about everyone just wanting "MAX DISH"!

af300e
22nd March 2009, 11:23 AM
RCA's may give you a bit if you are lowering but probably spacers are your easiest option...

??? RCA's won't move his wheel outboard in relation to the strut tube.

ae86
22nd March 2009, 11:35 AM
yeah mate i got the same problem with 14x6.5 +10's they just touch the sleeves when im on full lock since ive put thecoilovers n ps arms together, best way to really get around it is get good width and negative offset wheels, my next set are gona have a few mm more distance so might fix the problem

PHA786
22nd March 2009, 09:26 PM
How much are they hitting by?!

A flys dick. It's not the rim that is hitting it's the tyre. So If i was to drive down the road i would asume that there would be a tetable noise and alot of tyre smoke.

If i can find a realy thin spacer then it may fix the problem and i won't have to flare out the gards. The only thing i'm concerned about is when i'm rippin' through the hills, one of my wheels won't come off. :bones:
I can't imagine that this will happen if i get a realy thin spacers, but some reasurences would be great.

PS your car looks neat!

Thanks mate. Only 164 000 on the clock first time round. Looks like it's been garaged all it's life. It almost looks like Old mother hubbard drove it for the first 100 000 k's

Ow yeah. Some new rims are on the cards but now right away.

ae86
22nd March 2009, 09:55 PM
thinnest you will find is 5mm unless your getting someone to make custom stuff like 2mm, but may aswell get something decent to give ur wheels a bit of poke, fill ur guards

corknose
22nd March 2009, 09:57 PM
i might be a toolmaker/turner?

PHA786
22nd March 2009, 10:02 PM
thinnest you will find is 5mm unless your getting someone to make custom stuff like 2mm, but may aswell get something decent to give ur wheels a bit of poke, fill ur guards

Now i just have to find them. lol. I was told Super Cheap. Would that be about right? I'll try Autobarn and Repco as well

--Redwork--
22nd March 2009, 10:09 PM
^^^ Good chance most of those shops wil carry something or be able to get it..
I thought I had some 6mm ones here but I must have given then away...

Man.. Did you struggle on todays cruise... I remmember walkin past your car and seeing the almost bald cheese cutter 13's on your car and was like.. Holy crap, that must be hard to keep up..
And clinton in the S-excel...

MJ86
22nd March 2009, 10:57 PM
Find yourself two (2) brake drums s or t-series makes no difference cut the centre out to the same diameter as your front hub, a lathe would help with this but you could use a grinder with a cut-off disc and the clean up till they are nice and round, should give you a couple of mm, enough to fix your problem.

PHA786
23rd March 2009, 09:34 AM
Man.. Did you struggle on todays cruise... I remmember walkin past your car and seeing the almost bald cheese cutter 13's on your car and was like.. Holy crap, that must be hard to keep up..
And clinton in the S-excel...

Yes i had cheese cutters on and yes they are bald. I noticed the differance running around there and i did get a little under(why the fuck can't i turn)stear, but i still managed to keep up. I'm not sure about the brakes though. I'll check them tonight.

ae86
23rd March 2009, 09:46 AM
Now i just have to find them. lol. I was told Super Cheap. Would that be about right? I'll try Autobarn and Repco as well

pm ajps on here, he gets the bolton ones made up, he can get any spacer for u at a price

fantapants
23rd March 2009, 03:25 PM
yah had a giggle following on the way back through fernvale...

pha786, but with the cheese cutters on the rear it looked anything but :)

as i said man, got slipons u can try and see if they fix your prob, but yeah autobarn has em for like 20...

blair
23rd March 2009, 07:46 PM
better wheels would probably be cheaper!

marvis
23rd March 2009, 08:45 PM
Get some good rims. Not something that you would see on falcons :P

It' because they are heaps positive offset. It's not the size of the rim, it's the offset thats the issue.

PHA786
23rd March 2009, 09:24 PM
better wheels would probably be cheaper!

I don't know about cheaper. The 8mm spacers are $30 a pair at Autobarn. Good rims are about $250+ a pair. I realy want to get the rims but i've just spent $2200 on coilovers and an LSD that i'm picking up this Saturday. Sad but i'm still running an s series diff. Maybe in a few months i might get some more rims. Like Superlights. I really like those rims

Slipons sound like the cheap and easy way, but i'm still not convinced that it is a permanent solution. It may be an ok solution for around town for a bit but I don't just drive around town.

If anyone has been running the mountains or drifting with spacers for ages please let me know the outcome.

lo_rolla
23rd March 2009, 09:44 PM
I got a question regarding this...

I've got 15x8.5 -22 wheels, Cusco coilovers as low as they go, 40mm RCA's, xt130 LCA's, PS arms, lock spacer, and a few other adjustable this and other fancy things....

Is my shit gonna rub?

dave2221
23rd March 2009, 10:08 PM
We do only have 4 on old toyotas and if one snaps....there goes almost 50% clamping!

not sure where you did maths mate but 1 out of 4 is 25%....... not 50%.

and your off the mark by 100%.

but your correct in saying that if 1 snaps your in a bit of trouble......

sorry to be a bit off topic....

blair
23rd March 2009, 10:09 PM
I got a question regarding this...

I've got 15x8.5 -22 wheels, Cusco coilovers as low as they go, 40mm RCA's, xt130 LCA's, PS arms, lock spacer, and a few other adjustable this and other fancy things....

Is my shit gonna rub?

if anything you will have the complete opposite to the OP.

i.e. guard / bumper depending on castor

as with wheel spacers, although being illegal and physically putting load on the wrong things, are fine to roll around on. i take my car out to archy probs once a month with them and its my daily.

lo_rolla
23rd March 2009, 10:15 PM
Wide body :)

marvis
23rd March 2009, 11:15 PM
I run a bolt on spacer and a slip on in the rear and I drive like everything is a race track. Been running them for a few months now. Not an issue at all.

marvis.

PHA786
23rd March 2009, 11:19 PM
I run a bolt on spacer and a slip on in the rear and I drive like everything is a race track. Been running them for a few months now. Not an issue at all.

marvis.

What size spacer u got in the front marvis?

--Redwork--
23rd March 2009, 11:24 PM
only thing to remember wih slip on spacers is to make sure that you have enough thread left. Haveing a wheel nut strip off is just as bad as snapping a stud.

marvis
23rd March 2009, 11:48 PM
What size spacer u got in the front marvis?
None in the front. I have 5mm Slipon then 20mm Bolt on in the rear. Never had any issues.

PHA786
24th March 2009, 08:52 PM
OK. I'm going to get the smallest ones i can get the 8mm ones and try them at archy. I keep an eye out on the studs and if i see any damaged or broken studs i'll retire for the night and asses the damage. Hopefully not too bad.

Keep your fingers crossed. I'll see if i can get in on the Friday night.

filfilfil
25th March 2009, 12:29 AM
not sure where you did maths mate but 1 out of 4 is 25%....... not 50%.

and your off the mark by 100%.

but your correct in saying that if 1 snaps your in a bit of trouble......

sorry to be a bit off topic....

If you consider the studs as the points of a compass... take out east and you only have N, S & W... all of which are basically to the left had side of the vertical... almost half of "one side" of clamping has gone for load bearing!
Manufacturers do put 5 wheel studs on cars for a reason not just cos they like spending 25% extra!
Perhaps the term "Clamping" was misleading and should have been "Lateral Load Bearing"...Fil

PHA786
28th March 2009, 08:41 PM
So i painted the 8mm slipons black and put them on the car. This has fixed the rubbing problem and also another problem with rubbing on full lock. I can almost fit my pinky finger in the gap between the tyre and the coilover so that should be enogh room. I drove around the local area and it actualy felt alot better to drive.

Before i bolted it all together, i measured the remaining stud. Unfortunatly there is only 16mm left for the nuts to do up. From that i was thinking i might have to see if i can get longer studs before i go drifting. One other thing. I will be getting new rims for the from in about a month so this is only a temporary measure. The studs may hold but i'm not sure if i should push it.

Any thoughts?

ae86
28th March 2009, 09:03 PM
just check them each week especially if u hit the skids, pull ur nut tighter check them with a bit of force just to make sure a wheel doesnt fly off into traffic n u roll on chassis, u may be getting scrub against guards if they are not lipped, if not could be the coilover still if its during bumps and lock.

PHA786
28th March 2009, 09:13 PM
u may be getting scrub against guards if they are not lipped, if not could be the coilover still if its during bumps and lock.

I did say that putting these spacers on fixed the scrubbing problems, both on full lock and on the coilover. I appolegise if i wasn't clear enough.

blair
30th March 2009, 08:01 PM
16mm is heaps.

just slide it! haha see you out at archy.

af300e
30th March 2009, 10:32 PM
So i painted the 8mm slipons black

That's not a great idea. It's actually the friction between the hub/spacer/wheel that bears the weight of the car. When you paint them you compromise the friction surfaces.
I am machining some hub centric spacers for my car and was specifically told by the engineer NOT to paint the hubs or the spacers.

I know some wheels are painted on the load bearing surfaces but that doesn't make it right!