PDA

View Full Version : lowdown car jacks

ae86
22nd March 2009, 07:21 PM
whats the go with these ? i need one im sick of driving up on wood just to fight to try get my jack under
wondering about a place i could have a look at one and estimate of price

crackett
22nd March 2009, 07:35 PM
Go to Repco and they will be able to order you one in for a few hundren clams. We use them as my work on Porsche's, Lambo's, Ferrari's etc. Seem like decent quality and haven't had to rebuild one yet and we use them all day long.

ae86
22nd March 2009, 07:39 PM
thanks crackett you know if their just a generic repco brand or something else?

crackett
22nd March 2009, 08:33 PM
I'm trying to remember the name. But they are a brand, not a Repco China shit thing. I'll look it up for you tomorrow dude!

ae86
22nd March 2009, 08:33 PM
thanks mate,

sonsta
7th April 2009, 10:20 PM
lol my red car couldn't even fit those low profile jacks under it, i just had to use a scissor jack to get it up high enough till i could fit a trolley jack under it

slide86
7th April 2009, 11:32 PM
snap on have a good one

its $560....i know from experience

Anthony
8th April 2009, 04:41 PM
yeah theyre ok. good for home use. they dont seem to last too long in a workshop situation, which is unusual for blue point.

biggo
8th April 2009, 07:17 PM
Lifttech have a decent one, we got ours for $250 trade price. I like it the best out of all the ones we have cos it has a decent feel to it. Im pretty sure theres a few aluminuim ones getting around from bursons for like $250 retail. Never used one tho so i dont know if theyre any good.

UGANGA
11th April 2009, 03:53 PM
snap on or blue point (still snap on )

Adash =P
13th April 2009, 01:26 PM
Mate has a Blue Point jack. Fits under anything and it has a smaller quick lift thing so you don't have to use the long pole.

Its the bomb.

PuGZoR
15th April 2009, 09:39 AM
Trade Tools are selling Omega jacks. Don't know how well these would last (Nick?), but jesus christ, their "1.5 Tonne Low Profile Jack" has a lowered height of only 63mm! Most low jacks I've seen are only 85-90mm fully down. Lifts to 500mm too, apparently. At $278 too, they're at a good price. If 63mm isn't low enough for you, maybe it's time to consider installing air jacks?

PuGZoR
6th June 2009, 01:57 PM
I purchased one of the jacks I previously mentioned, yesterday. They're at $298 now, so a $20 price rise (US$?), but I think are well worth the money.

Very very low (advertised as 63mm, I measured mine at about 65-66mm though), and have a fairly long arm. Even at the highest point on the jack chassis we're only talking around 145mm, which is about as high as some of the $40 supercheap jacks lower to! Another handy feature is they go from minimum height to maximum height in only 2 full pumps!

The only reason I think other jacks with similar qualities are more expensive is one thing; weight. This jack weighs an amazing 40kg. That's like heavier than most dogs, even the big ones. Or is like a big big bag of fertilizer. Some of the racing jacks you see around the place weigh 20-30kg, 40kg is freakin heavy.

Obviously I don't know how this is going to last over a long period of time, but I'm pretty impressed with it having done an initial inspection and changed a tyre with it. But when you're spending $300 on a jack you kind of expect that.

dave2221
6th June 2009, 02:08 PM
uncle has a blue point jack..

win points are the nylon wheels (doesnt rattle around like a bitch)
the quick jack function (so you dont need to use the pole)

weights a metric tonne, but never given us any problems and gets constant use due to him building 2 cars in his back shed.

well worth the money i think

ae71
7th June 2009, 01:51 PM
pugzor: googled them, they look quite descent!

PuGZoR
12th June 2009, 10:26 AM
Vaguely related, anyone know where you can get those moulded low profile ramp things to drive onto, so regular jacks will slip under? They're not full on ramps, only like 3" high at the max, clear spoilers and stuff but get you high enough to get a jack under.
Pretty sure Autobarn had these at one stage. Always wondered why we don't see more of them actually... Most people just use wedges of wood to drive their car onto, then jack them up from there. Much cheaper, lol.

ae71
12th June 2009, 05:53 PM
correct, couple of offcuts of 4x2, cut them on a angle if you really must.