PDA

View Full Version : Need a Good Machinist - Gold Coast

v-tec
23rd March 2009, 08:12 PM
Hey guys, the crank and one of my pistons is scarred due to the absence of a bearing.... also planning to get the block honed seeing as its all apart.
Can anyone reccomend a machinist that will do a quality job?

Im on the Gold Coast, but willing to trip to brissy area if needed...

Enjoy yourself

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/0/0/I_m_RickJames_Bitch.0.0.0x0.512x384.jpeg

bigm
23rd March 2009, 10:03 PM
also interested in this for a mate.

orange32
23rd March 2009, 10:19 PM
so the crank needs to be ground or just polished?

Do you want it crack detected and everything else checked or just the absolute minimum?

The other half of the work is engine reconditioning. They are simple guys but do a good job. I can ask them for a quote if you want?

Clinton
24th March 2009, 10:52 AM
there is some good ones in burleigh grant??

MJ86
24th March 2009, 03:02 PM
Gold coast engine reconditioners are in burleigh.

v-tec
25th March 2009, 12:57 PM
Id be lying if i said i knew exactly what needs to be done with this motor, block work is a very new area for me.

The marks on the crank are pretty easy to see/feel.. From what ive been told, i need to get the crank and conrods machined and have the shop get new bearings to suit. Its needs this done for both the conrod bearings and the bearings between the crank and the block.

Also its been suggested to me that, if its not too much extra cost i should get the block honed, bored and new rings.
Essentially, i want to do as minimal as possible, will be keeping the standard pistons etc... but yer will do the honeing etc as long as its not like twice the cost.

wide s13
25th March 2009, 01:15 PM
starni boy had a blacktop crank for sale if hes got it still.
it has been linished and crack tested i know that much haha
dont think he used it.
dont know were my mechanic got it done but it cost like $150-200 from memory to do
i can find out if you want grant. they did another motor for me and had no trouble with it.

70XIN
25th March 2009, 01:38 PM
I've done this a few times, i use PLR Brendale (i know, a fair distance away from you grant, but at least it gives you an idea of pricing and such)

For interests sake, it will cost *ABOUT*:

$50 to linish the crank (remove all the scratches, and polish the journals)
$60 to hone the block
$60 to deck the block
$50 to give it a good acid clean, to make sure every little bit of crap is gone

Hopefully the spun bearing(s) didn't overheat or do anything nasty to the rods, if this has happened i can probably find you replacements for bugger-all $, but that's worst-case scenario.

And then the machinists will just choose some undersized bearings, depending on how much they linished it :)

Zing

slydar
25th March 2009, 01:47 PM
i replied in your thread grant. but youre a million times better off just finding a new crank and rods as a set.

if there was no bearing in there at all like you say, that crank and rod is almost definately completely rooted.

theres small ports at a few wreckers. only guy i know with a dissasmbled 20v less throttles, another small port with just a cracked ring ect ect.

your best bet would be grab one of these bottom ends, slide your pistons on, hone your bores (can be done at home/$60 at JHH) and get some fresh rings. that or just use your old rings and just put it together.

ive done the 2nd option before, infact worse as the pistons i used werent even from the same bottom end.

just call me if you want 0449 169 185.

slydar
25th March 2009, 01:49 PM
yeah tox, but if you read his build thread, there is no way grant is gonna get away with just a linish on the crank. i find it unlikely from what he has said he will be able to use that crank at all.

v-tec
25th March 2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks dimitri, ill look into the way your suggesting.
Josh(young) has been helping me alot with this motor and has been basically telling what needs to be done to get it fixed, he seems to think the crank will be fine to reuse, but ill do my best to check this before hand, i spose the worst case if it is rooted the machinist will just turn me around and say get a new crank...

But yer new second hand rods and crank might work out cheaper... will see how i go

orange32
25th March 2009, 11:34 PM
Hey Grant,

In response to your pm, the prices toxin posted are pretty much what the guys at work told me it would cost. I didn't ask about the grinding but from what I've seen, it takes a bit of time to do a good job. If i knew how to use their machines i could do it for you after hours, but im no reconditioner unfortunately.

If you need it crack detected however, don't pay whatever they charge (probably $50), give it to me and i'll check it for you for free, takes about 5 mins. I work in archerfield though.

Give me a hollar if there is anything you need.

FLT LNR
26th March 2009, 12:15 AM
John Wilson engineering on Price st in southport.......
John is the owner but Nathan his son knows it all.....has been in the business for a long time.....
There certified Mercedes re builders (one of few in Aus) and have done everything from 500hp Ca's to 10 second mini's
Just go in and have a chat, and they can show you some of there work, as professional as it gets.....

350hp4agte
26th March 2009, 06:03 PM
Abbots Engine Reconditioning Pty Ltd

(07) 5531 2666
U3/ 20 Bailey Crs
Southport QLD 4215

unreal to talk to really good bloke (Rob) knows his shit

he did the headwork on my 20v his done heaps of 16v before and his cheap
tell him ya no Mitch, ya did his 20v head with cams and that he'll look after ya

also ive got those rods man say the word

gg004
30th March 2009, 02:58 PM
i used precise engine rebuilders to do a crank few years ago, but as far as i knew, nobody on the coast has a crank grinding machine they sublet up to brissy.

secretdrift.com.au
8th April 2009, 04:28 PM
Abbots Engine Reconditioning Pty Ltd

(07) 5531 2666
U3/ 20 Bailey Crs
Southport QLD 4215

unreal to talk to really good bloke (Rob) knows his shit

he did the headwork on my 20v his done heaps of 16v before and his cheap
tell him ya no Mitch, ya did his 20v head with cams and that he'll look after ya

also ive got those rods man say the word

as he said

lo_rolla
8th April 2009, 07:19 PM
I got a full big port bottom end if you want?

Orange32, you sound like you work where I used to work....

orange32
8th April 2009, 08:02 PM
where did you work?

lo_rolla
8th April 2009, 08:07 PM
Mendham.

It's just the way you talked about the seperate areas and the engine reconditioners being dull.

orange32
8th April 2009, 08:30 PM
BINGO!!!

well played.