PDA

View Full Version : JWL stamp on wheels

MountainRunner
16th March 2007, 03:50 PM
JWL
Many may have noticed a marking on wheels with a visible logo “JWL". Japanese wheels must have a "JWL" logo on the wheel and "JWL" (Japan Light Wheel Alloy) is a compilation of standards defined by the Japanese Government to ensure the vehicle's safety for aluminum road wheels. Every wheel put to market must be tested to meet JWL standards before a wheel can be put out to market in Japan. These standards are generally accepted worldwide as acceptable for most road conditions. That is why you will see these marks on European and other Asian country wheels.

JWL TESTS:

Cornering Fatigue Test (Drum Endurance Test)
The purpose of this test is for checking wheel rim strength and durability. Place a wheel assembly with tire on test equipment. Radial stress is then added to simulate vehicle weight.

Test run 500,000 cycles
After 500,000 cycles inspect for cracks, deformation and any nut loosening.

Radial Load Fatigue Test (Rotary Bending Test)
JWL pass criteria: 100,000 cycles
The purpose of this test is for checking durability of the wheel disc. The spokes and the hub are the first point of weight distribution from the vehicle and spoke strength is gauged by this test.

Place a wheel on testing equipment and by adding bending stress to center of disc –

Test run 100,000 cycles
After 100,000 cycles, inspect for cracks, deformation and any nut loosening.

13 Degree Impact Test
JWL pass criteria: 594 kg

The main purpose of test is for checking strength between rim and disc cross section. The “joint" or the area where the spoke and the rim meet is an important structural area that is subject to great stress. The horizontal weight of the rim and the vertical stress of the spokes meet at this joint and proper structural stability is crucial for a proper wheel.

The wheel assembly is placed with tire tilted 13 degrees from horizontal plane on testing equipment.

A preset weight is dropped on the outer sidewall of tire, thus giving impact to the wheel/tire. Then inspect for cracks, deformation and air leak.

This test is very important for the recent trend of a larger/wider wheel with lower profile tire combination, because there is less air volume than OE wheel/tire and more stress to inner rim section. This test simulates actual usage condition such as hitting corner curb or objects from side.

Yeah i thought this would be helpful cause i didnt no what it ment

now for a Pic if u dont no what the hell im talking about

dori_86
18th March 2007, 04:14 PM
sweet info, i've always wondered what that meant

MountainRunner
18th March 2007, 06:32 PM
made me happi when i found out http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jonny Rochester
25th March 2007, 11:46 AM
Good post. +1 reputation points.

MountainRunner
25th March 2007, 02:22 PM
woot http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif go me

Joel-AE86
5th April 2007, 02:10 PM
No shit! cool.

I too always wondered what that symbol meant! Jap Quality Assurance FTW!

dr1ft-pig
5th April 2007, 10:01 PM
lol stock ADM wheels have this logo aswell JADM yo

Matt-AE86
24th April 2007, 12:27 PM
Many wheels do.

Clinton
30th June 2007, 11:28 PM
from memory there on the ADM sprinter stockos arnt they?

dr1ft-pig
1st July 2007, 03:17 AM
lol stock ADM wheels have this logo aswell JADM yo[/b]

from memory there on the ADM sprinter stockos arnt they?[/b]

lol learn to read clinton, and if u cant YES IT IS :lol: :lol:

MINIHORSE
1st July 2007, 03:57 AM
stock GT APEX wheels have this marking yet they say made in germany?? WTF

Clinton
7th July 2007, 07:51 PM
ol learn to read clinton, and if u cant YES IT IS :lol: :lol:[/b]

lol if i cant read how could i read that??

Jonny Rochester
8th July 2007, 12:56 PM
As it says in the first post, many European wheels have the JWL logo. I have noted this on Peugeots and other standard European wheels. I took a pic of the logo on a peugeot but then realised it was very common.