PDA

View Full Version : Tyre pile raiders.

matt99
26th March 2009, 10:35 AM
Concidering the majority of drifters (street drifters anyway) get there rear tyres from tyre piles I thought this would be an appropriate section for this thread.

I go on a "tyre run" a couple of nights per week now and lately in Melbourne (im sure it probably happens in other states too) ill get to a tyre pile only to find that someone has been there already and simply thrown tyres in every direction possible to get to the ones they want.

All im saying is that with the growing number of tyre shops locking up there second hand tyres within a cage or in the shop it self, the disrespect for the pile certainly cant be helping. If a shop opens up every morning to find there tyre pile scattered across the car park they are just going to start locking them up like everyone else.

All im suggesting (and yes I know its not just E7/86 drivers, but also other sliders and conformodoore drivers) is that if we need to move tyres, just move them neatly aside as im sure we dont want them to be locked up, just as much as the tyre shops probably dont want to pay for a cage to lock them up.

ae71
26th March 2009, 01:21 PM
yeah funny thing is if you want to get 2nd hand tyres they charge you for them even if they are in the throw out pile in a lot of cases.. but um hey they have to pay around $2 a tyre i believe to dispose of them.

add to that you would prob also be willing to pay cash to have them fitted. so eerr yeah they shoot themselfs in the foot lamo

dont forget that its trespassing is illegal.

marvis
26th March 2009, 02:39 PM
I get my seconds for free. I always just ask the shops also they usually let me have a gander.

Konakid
26th March 2009, 02:53 PM
Agreed, keep it neat.

Rice86
26th March 2009, 03:12 PM
Fucking lol man!! Hahah

bigm
26th March 2009, 03:20 PM
yea a friend of mine got the shits with it that bad, that they put a hole in every tire they wouldnt sell again. because the placed looked like shit each morning.
so keep it neat and you have more chance of gettin free tires.

redsprinter
26th March 2009, 04:52 PM
yea a friend of mine got the shits with it that bad, that they put a hole in every tire they wouldnt sell again. because the placed looked like shit each morning.
so keep it neat and you have more chance of gettin free tires.

not cool . but i can understand . totally agree dont ruin it for everyone else ..

fly ryder
26th March 2009, 05:40 PM
some tire shops cut there tires up and put them in a bin to fit more in, over here but where i get mine from they just give them away for free and sometime fitted for free depending how busy they are, if not just rip out the good ol levers and ninja that shit.

NIZLAH
26th March 2009, 06:18 PM
I once did tyre runs... until I got charged with possession of tainted goods.. fucking bullshit... a day wasted in court and a 1 year good behavior bond resulted... and half the tyres you end up getting have a fuckin hole or bubble in them or some shit in the end... I rather just get freshys, although if your just shredding them I guess it is better with freebies..

crackett
26th March 2009, 06:51 PM
All our tyres are locked up, except for the ones that had sidewall puntures and 4X4 ones. So fuck you all, lol. Nah it's good, because it means all the tyres are for me and my mates, lol.

Mr Fujiwara
26th March 2009, 11:01 PM
anyone seen 175 60 14s?
in melbourne

PuGZoR
27th March 2009, 09:36 AM
Heh, saw a place the other day that had a sign next to their tyre pile saying something along the lines of "Take what you want, but clean any mess you make". Thought it was awfully nice for them to acknowledge that people can take them if they want, as long as they leave it nice and tidy.

blair
27th March 2009, 11:03 AM
i neaten up all the piles when im done :)

Marco
27th March 2009, 04:50 PM
we try to keep it nice and tidy. but you go back the next week and it it quite cler that some people have not found what they wanted.

Hen may possibly be a nut
28th March 2009, 09:56 PM
I always went in (did runs in the morning, as soon as they'd opened on my way to work) and chatted with the guys at tyre joints. After you'd dropped in once or twice a week for a couple of weeks I usually found they'd put anything in my size aside for me.

And then when they did have some a 6pack goes a long way.

Hen

ae86
28th March 2009, 10:16 PM
any1 in melb know wot places normally keep stock of tyres?

Low Style
31st March 2009, 09:09 AM
best way is to get to know some of people that work there.

i get free tyres and my car isnt even on the road lol

Ksevn-T
10th April 2009, 02:17 PM
anyone seen 175 60 14s?
in melbourne

Yeah! ive found a few. Rare as hens teeth though! I always find myself shreading 175 65's :verysad:

The joints in moorabbin are pretty good! Ive been feeding my sliding needs with the second hand tyre piles for ages. 14's are getting harder to get. Must update to 15's since nearly every holden and new corolla's have 15's.

Alex

dr1ft-pig
11th April 2009, 02:54 AM
ill agree, when i ran 15s going back 2.5 or mor yrs ago, i could never find shit in a 195/50

now i cant find tyres for my 14 inch skid rims and i usually get 2 pairs of 195/50s when i go for a tire pile hunt

last time i went to 1 shop and got 2 pairs... 1 pair died yesterday and the other pair will go on really soon :)

but yeah i always make the stack neat again as i think im one of the only people in my area that does it... not many drifters around here

Skid_KE70
11th April 2009, 10:07 AM
anyone seen 175 60 14s?
in melbourne

Bridgestone supercats.

Yeh I work at a tyre shop aswell. We tend to cut ours up now, it costs us $3 per norm passenger tyre and $5 ea truck tyre to get rid of.

I'm sure these gyres places don't have a problem with you taking there secondhandies but please keep it neat.

ae71neo
11th April 2009, 04:06 PM
Buy brand new. It fixes everything :)

KKUSTOM
12th April 2009, 03:37 PM
we have a reco section at work...so i get my tyers from a pile out the back. if any one needs tyres for track burning PM me plz.

crackett
12th April 2009, 05:04 PM
You sell your works tyres? I'm assuming you keep the dosh, not hand it to your boss?

Just give them away.

racsov
12th April 2009, 11:10 PM
beggers cant be choosers

what-psi
13th April 2009, 11:05 AM
Best trick getting tires is to rock in late in the day, have a chat to the guys and throw them a 6 pack, they'll then happily let you grab all the tires you need.

PHA786
14th May 2009, 02:03 PM
I agree keep the piles tidy and they will let you come back. I will have to remember the 6 pack idea. The guys that i go too deserve it since they give me whatever i need in tyres.

There is a few drifters that go to the same place that i do and luckily they have 16's and 17's. Most of the 15's i can get.

Out of the blue i saw a set of 4 not so bad 13" tyres in the pile. First time i have seen 13's there.

Fitting is $5/tyre. Thats ok. Some places try to charge $20/tyre. I nearly fell over when i was told that. I'm still yet to find a place near me that will take off and fit another for $5.

n00bvak
14th May 2009, 03:51 PM
I generally go to the small type tyre places, check out if it is busy or not, get some tyres fitted that I picked up from somewhere. They always ask what you want these old tyres on bling rims for??? So I give them a run down of the car and stuff and then drop the hint if they have any lying around could I grab them and say I will chuck one of there stickers on the car as free advertising.

Only once have I been knocked back, and generally once you got a sticker on your car for them they will fit them for free too.
I have a couple of places I have sown up so I dont bother the same place too much, and they are always happy to hear how your car is going, as long as it is not busy.

As for fitting for 20 bucks, a while ago I went to a k-mart tyre and auto place coz it was close(and I was noob), when the guy said $26 per tyre I laughed at him and said good joke and said so thats 26 for the lot right? apparently not. So after a lot of stern conversation and threats of reporting them to fair trades he gave up and agreed to $26. last time I dont get a quote for something!!!

ke_70_blue
3rd June 2009, 09:48 PM
hay does any one no any were around the narang or southport area for a tyre shop that gives secod hands for free

bigdaddykane
16th June 2009, 03:26 AM
All our tyres are locked up, except for the ones that had sidewall puntures and 4X4 ones. So fuck you all, lol. Nah it's good, because it means all the tyres are for me and my mates, lol.

horay

svenmate
16th June 2009, 09:36 PM
I hate it when i find just ONE completely awesome tyre with 95% tread and not the other.

thanks bob jane (y)
/rant

blair
19th June 2009, 01:54 PM
^ its usually false luck, take a lonnnnnnnnng look at it and i bet you will find a puncture!

svenmate
19th June 2009, 05:09 PM
thats usually true :/

sonsta
20th June 2009, 10:41 AM
went looking for some skid tyres last night, ended up finding some 195 50 15's with a heap of tread!! score haha

Clinton
20th June 2009, 01:15 PM
give me them.

racsov
20th June 2009, 06:05 PM
sometimes you get real good scores where the salesman has pulled a swifty on someone and got them to replace tyres thaat are still ok but not mint

*E7*
20th June 2009, 10:46 PM
i've got some old tyres that would be good for skids if someone in melb wants them.

i will do a full thread for them, but they're all 14"

some pairs, some singles, a range of sizes.

$5 bucks each.

-dave

sonsta
29th June 2009, 11:24 AM
iv got the lady at my tyre shop to put all 13's 14's and 15's with tread in a different pile to the others and i always go grab em and she fits them for around $10.

shes more than happy for me to grab them but because it costs her to get rid of them plus she makes money out of fitting them for me.

driftke70
29th June 2009, 12:17 PM
where i used to work there was always the thought of there being issues with legalities, people taking old tyres that could cause an accident and suing, but if there was a genuine dude who looked like he just wanted to do skids we let them go, i stole pretty much every good 14 that came through for about 2 years, i cant remember paying for a tyre i have popped, ever. That will have to change in good time sadly,

widebody86
14th July 2009, 05:06 PM
i found a crazy tyre pile that i go to always when i drive to melbourne n it always has sweet ones in many sizes :D

tc-rolla
26th July 2009, 11:43 PM
I used to go to a place in melb ages ago to get skid tyres, but i went in there one time and there was a bunch of commonwhore drivers throwing tyres everywhere. just being dicks. the owner had survailence and locked the place up and the dudes had to got to court for it in the end.
But im gonna speak to him in the next few days about taking some 13 and 14's of his hands, and as was said, sling him a 6pack.

So I give them a run down of the car and stuff and then drop the hint if they have any lying around could I grab them and say I will chuck one of there stickers on the car as free advertising

yeh i will bring that up aswell. the guys down there do alot of motorsport stuff so sure they'll be up for it! cheers n00bvak! lol.
most of my mates n that will do alot to help out local businesses out.

ben.

ke55pig
22nd August 2009, 11:04 AM
anyone no of any decent places in adelaide ???

Matt-AE86
11th September 2009, 02:12 PM
Most places I know of never mind if you go there. If its easily accesable and not locked up, they are happy for you to take them. You can make a mess, just make sure to clean it up and restack tyres later.

The most common 14" tyre i have found is 175/65. Good enough for cheap drift fun.

Robo86
11th September 2009, 02:18 PM
yer +1 matt, i have a fair few 175/65 at my shed, kinda freaky though the sidewall flex hahah