PDA

View Full Version : Matts Spirit

Ru-iki
11th May 2007, 08:16 PM
*Re-Edited specs*

Hello everyone, it's my first post on this site. So it's the perfect time to introduce the car.

Shes an 84 AE71 Spirit with the usual t-50 box. The original car had about 400,000klm on it and was tired and smoky. It didn't help it that all I could find laying around was really thin magnatec, it was like a smoke grenade! The steering rack was cactus and she has the big beaten out dent you can see on the RH front corner.

As it stands today:

Engine and Cooling:
- AE101 20 valve Conversion.
- Kaizen Billet Cas cover.
- Uni Filter socks.
- Kaizen 20v extractors, 2.25 inch exhaust and High flow Magnaflow cat, cheapo 'sports' muffler.
- Stupid big 3/8 fuel supply and 1/4 inch return.
- JDM Fuel tank from an efi AE86. Standard internal pump. Ryco skyline fuel filter.
- 16 inch thermofan and custom alloy brackets. ECU triggered, not thermo-switch.
- Yager motorsport front mount thermostat fitting. A must have for all 20v owners.
- Whatever hoses bent the right way when I rustled through the shelves at Repco.
- New 15c thermostat.
- Speco hase/sender adapter. To check radiator bottom temp if required.
- Freshly recored AE71 radiator, with high quality replacement twin core.
- Massive intake tray I made myself.
- Cusco hard rubber engine and gearbox mounts.
- Techno Toy Tuning Waterpump underdrive pulley.

Electrical
- Adaptronic ECU with kaizen wiring loom and Vidigauge Dash cluster.
- Uprated Bosch Battery.
- Coil over plug type ignition off a 1zz corolla.
- NGK Iridium Plugs.
- Sony head unit, and two 6x9s on an mdf parcel shelf. Nothing flash, but its loud enough.

Clutch/Driveline
- Custom clutch interference hose.
- Standard Blacktop clutch/Flywheel (was meaty so I'm finishing it off before I get a new one).
- JDM T-50 with t3 shifter rebuild, new rear seal.
- Generic polished gear Knob.
- Tight 4.1 Borg Warner Open Centre.

Suspension and brakes:
- Wilwood Dynalite Calipers TTT
- Coilovered AE86 struts for the front, with Eibach copy springs and st185 Koni Sport inserts.
- TTT RCAs 30mm.
- Quaife quick rack professionally built.
- RA40 swaybar links
- Tein Camber Plates
- XT130 Corona LCAs
- Whiteline front Swaybar, painted black.
- RA40 turnbuckle style tie rod ends
- New front wheel bearings.
- Full nolathane bush kit for the whole underbody.
- Standard rear drums, yay.
- Cut standard rear springs with TRD Green 8 way adjustable Tarmac Shocks.
- Whiteline 17mm rear swaybar.
- Ultra racing fender braces and rear 4 point brace.
- Modified towbar to stiffen the arse up and protect the tank in event of an accident.
- Simmons Copy? 15x7.5 mesh with 205/50 Accelera tyres.
- SSR mk3, 15x7 +12 on the rear, Dunlop 195/50 Direzzas on them.
- 15 inch spare also, a Nissan Space saver, its the only thing that fits under the 4 point brace in the rear.

Interior
- Recaro drivers recliner, csx velourlala passenger seat.
- Autotechnica 12 inch steering Wheel & boss kit with Toyota horn button - need a new one, cops hate it.
- Brand new passenger side mirror, a must for daily driving.
- Spirit back seat.
- Custom cup holder.
- Carsick girlfriend.

Plans:
- New gaurds and bonnet for the front which I already have. I'm now leaning towards painting it myself.
- Get the JDM diff I have sitting here into it with a nice ratio, new rotors, and bearings. My 4.556 stuff turned up chipped in the post from J-land. So this may be a while yet, grrrrrrrr.

it's now on the road and going.

Trev084
11th May 2007, 09:11 PM
Cant wait till its goin Matt http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

starni_boy
11th May 2007, 09:29 PM
oh yum that 20v.. cant wait until mine is in..

outcast350
11th May 2007, 10:10 PM
That looks heaps tuff. Love those ITB's, with one going up and the next pointing down.

Ru-iki
12th May 2007, 01:16 PM
Thank-You for the kind words people. Does anyone have opinions on which shock/spring combo might be nice on a t-series rear end and sprinter struts? I need the car to be a tolrable daily, with a dark side... Which means i want finely controlled if restricted suspension travel.

roadsailing
12th May 2007, 01:17 PM
4kg/mm or close

Ru-iki
14th May 2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks mate, i think ill go 4-6kg combo, or a half kilo softer f & r. She now has a jdm fuel tank with baffles and an internal high pressure pump. Wiring in a couple of days and im driving.

Bustin_86
15th May 2007, 11:08 AM
I use 6.5kg f and 4.5 kg r with kyb excel g shocks.

I love it, very good setup, but i am developing my car as more of a grip car than a drift car. Its stiff, but easy to live with as a daily driver.

Ru-iki
15th May 2007, 11:12 AM
Yeah, cool info mate. I better not say this too loud but im in to traction too, with the odd slidey slidey thrown in for a laugh.

Bustin_86
15th May 2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah keep it down or you will get lynched http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

Nah i enjoy sliding, but refuse to set my car up for it. Ill just set it up for grip and go nuts when it rains heh heh.

The only other thing to take into account is that my car doesnt have a rear swaybar (te72) yet, so i dont know if you was to put those springs rates and shock combo in with thicker swaybars how the car would react. It could possibly be to taily.

So my suggestion, or what i am doing with my car anyway, is to go with those rates and get adjustable swaybars http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif That way you should be able to tune it to be fairly neutral.

Hope that helps, grammar isnt the best sorry, its early http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

Ru-iki
15th May 2007, 03:39 PM
Adjusable swaybars are a massive help when your trying to get all your handling bugs ironed out. Methinks i need one too.

Bustin_86
15th May 2007, 03:47 PM
I think i need two http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

ghetto ke
15th May 2007, 03:49 PM
The intakes on the throttles are cool!!! one up one down http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tup.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tdn.gif

Ru-iki
15th May 2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the compliments. The up down not only looks sex but it fits the bay better. My fuel system is in and done. Needs one hose swapped to be as intended but i ran out of the right hose. Never mind it doesnt leak or anything and the pump works good. Just waiting on parts from Kaizen Garage and shes done. There wont be much more to go under the bonnet, just a few hoses and wires, so it should look simple and neat in the end.

Ru-iki
19th May 2007, 02:44 PM
Well im going insane waiting for parts from kaizen garage. Anthony has a very good reputation AFAIK.

Ru-iki
21st May 2007, 08:04 PM
Well, guess what will be coming in the not so distant future. Here is a hint.

[attachment=15473:attachment]

I have a whiteline adjustable panhard rod on the way, and also some t3 RCAS and a shifter rebuild kit.

Bustin_86
21st May 2007, 08:09 PM
What kinda of rca's did you get mate? width? will be interesting to see how they go!

Line locker sick skids yo! nah just playing! i would eventually like to run a bias adjuster in my car.

Ru-iki
21st May 2007, 09:04 PM
I know most people will say I'm a wanker wasting my money, but what is money for anyway? Im gonna grab a T3 big brake kit asap while the exchange rate is so good. I will need a new master cylinder, and since this will probably ruin the bias, i will use the adjuster. I'm just getting the rcas that T3 sell, i think they are 35mm, or so. Can someone who has them fill in the details for me please. What do you mean see how they go? Is there something I should know? My car will obviously be lowered when I install them, although its a land ship atm.

http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=672

Ru-iki
28th May 2007, 01:11 PM
Scored some more of the parts I've ordered. Got the modified water spout so i did up the bulk of the cooling and vacuum system. Put some oil in and cranked it over to get some vital juices flowing into the bearings. Hopefuly wont be very long at all till its driving.

dr1ft-pig
28th May 2007, 01:22 PM
haha how long did it take you to get that cooling kit man???

i waited 3 months and only got sent the top front housing which u have pictured, then i had to drive 3 hours up to brisbane and get the other parts,kazien FTL

Ru-iki
28th May 2007, 04:12 PM
haha how long did it take you to get that cooling kit man???

i waited 3 months and only got sent the top front housing which u have pictured, then i had to drive 3 hours up to brisbane and get the other parts,kazien FTL[/b]

Yeah sounds like a few stories ive heard about kaizen. I know Anthony has the skills and knowledge.

Ru-iki
29th May 2007, 02:39 PM
Just got confirmation, she will be wired and on the road on thursday. Yippee. Pulled the old plugs and they were barely used Iridium tipped ones. Just like what I put in. So ill keep em as spares.

frootloop86
29th May 2007, 03:01 PM
Like how uve got the trumps set up

Ru-iki
29th May 2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks alot. it was Anthony Kellams idea. looks hot tho. :2thumbs:

Ru-iki
30th May 2007, 07:29 PM
Ive been collecting. Need handling now since the thing will drive tomorrow. More detailed project thread.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?s...mp;#entry179484 (http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=11493&pid=179484&st=135&#entry179484)

samoo
30th May 2007, 07:43 PM
ur 'beerhead's' friend ayeee

i just bought some parts off him http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

nice build LOVE the trumpets http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

peace

Ru-iki
30th May 2007, 07:53 PM
Yeah, guilty as charged. Beerhead is my mate. Makes my build much easier to have his help. Were you the guy who got the gearbox last night? Thanks for the compliment by the way. I'm doing my best with the build, its all really for two reasons, to learn about cars and have a shedload of fun with some mates. Mission accomplished. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tup.gif

Ru-iki
4th June 2007, 05:57 PM
Well shes running and on the road, Anthony did some nice neat wiring, and it goes in for a tune tomorrow. Cant wait to see what it pulls.

samoo
4th June 2007, 06:42 PM
hell yeah congrats cant wait to get mine on the road

MountainRunner
4th June 2007, 06:55 PM
is that a cat or a frerret

beerhead
5th June 2007, 12:50 AM
Its a Norwegian forest cat and her name is Harriet.

Ru-iki
9th June 2007, 04:54 PM
Its on the road and sorted again. The finished product:

stouty
9th June 2007, 05:09 PM
Fking sweet man i love this car such a clean engine bay.

Ru-iki
13th June 2007, 05:49 PM
Fking sweet man i love this car such a clean engine bay.[/b]

Thanks mate, here is how she did on the dyno.
[attachment=16612:attachment]

EDIT: " Dyno pic removed, it pulled 84.6 Kw atw."

Ru-iki
4th July 2007, 08:21 PM
It now has suspension too! Bought beerheads old coilovers off him. They have camry monroe inserts, and what appear to be copies of Eibach springs. The rear has the cut corona pedders and standard height monroe shocks for now, will be tossed soon. Its all been setup and rebushed with the coilovers, whiteline adjustable panhard rod, t3 rcas, xt130 lcas, Ra40 tie rod ends, Ra40 swaybar links, and nolathane front to back, every dang bush.

driftism
5th July 2007, 02:01 AM
this thing is sweet! where did you get the 1zz ignition from? i need it for my new motor...

Ru-iki
5th July 2007, 08:12 AM
this thing is sweet! where did you get the 1zz ignition from? i need it for my new motor...[/b]

Thanks mate, all nice comments are greatly appreciated. I believe it either came from a halfcut, or a wrecked car. Im unsure as Anthony Kellam at Kaizen Garage supplied it with my loom. You could try pming 'Anthony' to find out if he can supply some, or point you in the right direction.

Ru-iki
24th September 2007, 09:44 PM
Its been a while, but Ive been cleaning up the thread. Here are some piccies of the car now.

Ru-iki
27th October 2007, 11:13 AM
Got some more stuff to go in now. I have whiteline swaybars for it, Also, I have a quaife quick rack to put in too. Ive also finished collecting all the pieces i need to build another bigport powered ke70. So soon its twins!! I may swap the 70 over for a 71 if possible because you dont need to have the engine convo certified in qld that way. More interior has been removed too. Another 5-7kg of crap is gone. I also have a pair of silver and gold volk mesh rims coming from otomoto for the rear to increase grip a bit since they are an inch wider and about 10mm a side more track.

Gilly
27th October 2007, 03:53 PM
hey man, i forgot you pm'ed about the quick rack

99% certian you defiantely have to use an 86 housing, the housing while looking the same is different i'm assured. wouldn't hurt to give it a go on the spare rack you have in the other 70

Madgarbage
27th October 2007, 06:54 PM
i could eat of your engine bay.....#drools# so clean

Ru-iki
27th October 2007, 10:05 PM

99% certian you defiantely have to use an 86 housing, the housing while looking the same is different i'm assured. wouldn't hurt to give it a go on the spare rack you have in the other 70[/b]

Cheers Gilly. I picked up an ae86 rack complete tonight so Im gonna pull them part and compare tomorrow arvo maybe, or I might just give them both to my mechanic and say go nuts. Either way Im soon to be joining you with some quick rack love. Went for a Nebo cruise today, but it was hot as fuck so didnt go that far really, but fun anyhow.

Oh and weeman, thanks alot. Its a little messier now that Ive rigged up a sort of dodgy cold air setup from some ra40 aircon vents, and theres a few coolant stains now.

Gilly
28th October 2007, 10:52 AM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=426730)

99% certian you defiantely have to use an 86 housing, the housing while looking the same is different i'm assured. wouldn't hurt to give it a go on the spare rack you have in the other 70[/b]

Cheers Gilly. I picked up an ae86 rack complete tonight so Im gonna pull them part and compare tomorrow arvo maybe, or I might just give them both to my mechanic and say go nuts. Either way Im soon to be joining you with some quick rack love. Went for a Nebo cruise today, but it was hot as fuck so didnt go that far really, but fun anyhow.

Oh and weeman, thanks alot. Its a little messier now that Ive rigged up a sort of dodgy cold air setup from some ra40 aircon vents, and theres a few coolant stains now.
[/b]

I really love the quick rack, moreso in the current car. it was a bit sloppy in the old car but was pulled apart relubed and adjusted before i put it in the banana car. what size steerer do you use? I'm using a 370mm twinky wheel and i think that is the difference between too hard and firm steering. mind you my castor is still stock and i haven't fitted my power steering asms yet. in my old 70 self centring was very violent :( but at present its PERFECT.

its been a LONG time since i've driven those hills. should make the effort one weekend.

Kerryx
28th October 2007, 02:02 PM
nebo - ghey, glorious - glorious :D

Ru-iki
29th October 2007, 07:13 PM
Grabbed these wheels off otomoto. Should up the traction on the rear nicely, over the 6s I run atm. Also, there is a quick rack for the car coming very soon, its just at the mechanics being rebuilt/bushed/greased. Then hopefully he lets me borrow his hoist for a carton so its a piece of piss to swap. Im going to try my cooling system another way also, as Ive just gotten a Yager Performance RWD thermostat relocation fitting, which hopefully will allow me to increase the reliability of the cooling system with more consistent temperatures, and less trapped air and cavitation. It will also open earlier by being in proximity to the head, like the factory one was. In my opinion, whilst still being perfectly fine, I have seen my car exhibit signs of inconsistent cooling, such as very hot thermostat opening, due to its distance from the head and poor supply of coolant as its fed only by the bypass. I may yet use this fitting in combination with an underdrive pulley for the waterpump, which should give me smoother flow throughout by lowering the pressure slightly. May also need a new radiator to survive summer, well see what Brissy throws at us.

I also bought another car, but it was a 4k with extractors, noisy diff, straight panels, and a 300 dollar price tag. So why not I thought. Has rego till march 08 too, and got a roady easy as pie. Love beige rollas...

ke70dave
29th October 2007, 11:41 PM
very nice matt

those wheels are cool as,

id be interested to see the difference between the quick rack and the s13 front end in my car

Ru-iki
30th October 2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks Dave. Brad said yours was very chuckable.

Ru-iki
23rd November 2007, 08:58 AM
Had it retuned after I had my injectors cleaned. It now has a safer amount of timing advance, and makes 5kw extra. Peak power is also earlier at 7200, instead of 8000. It has so much more mid range power its incredible. Cant post the sheet but it made 89.6kw atw. Damn thing resizes to a thumbnail and wont enlarge the image when clicked so fuck it. Look at rollaclub if you wanna see the chart.

Trev084
23rd November 2007, 02:40 PM
Dyno sheet:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/159389.jpg (http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=goldie017sq2.jpg)

Ru-iki
10th December 2007, 11:16 AM
New tune equals new fines...

deleta
10th December 2007, 11:17 AM
hahaha good work dude looks like shes going strong

350hp4agte
10th December 2007, 09:28 PM
hey dude did ya find out if the quick rack fits in a ke70 housing or do you need an ea86 one

hell nice car by the way

Ru-iki
11th December 2007, 12:00 AM
I had my quaife kit installed into the ae71 rack assembly. Works fine. Its the same thing. The difference is in the machining on the rack and pinion. Picking it up tomorrow actually.

Just started noticing a rattle in my front end over the last few hours, so i popped off a wheel and noticed the gland nuts on both coilovers were coming loose and the whole strut was wobbly. Fixed her up, and also tightened a swaybar link that was about to pop off. Shes tight as now.

Ru-iki
17th December 2007, 10:26 AM
My mechanic/mate let me borrow his hoist to change the rack was over and done with in under an hour and a hlf including the alignment. Its great to have it finally in the car, and was well worth the effort and expense. It works out about the same as what a new genuine one would have cost, except they are no longer available from Toyota. I also got Beerhead to bring his compressor and rattle gun over on Sunday and we tightened up the strut glands really well on the front left coilover, only to find the insert is sloppy now. Its a good excuse to get some trd dampers over from Japan. The standard swaybar hasnt been swapped in the front yet, just nolathane bushes added, so now there is officially 100% urethan bushes under my car, be they super-pro, nolathane, and whatever the yellow ones are that come with whiteline. This must be one of the tightest steering 71s around today.

Ru-iki
6th January 2008, 02:07 PM
New rims, and dual stage shift lights thanks to adaptronic settings.

stefan
6th January 2008, 02:35 PM
rad ass instrument cluster

mega tidy bt convo

Ru-iki
6th January 2008, 02:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slippry @ Jan 6 2008, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=464051)</div>
rad ass instrument cluster

mega tidy bt convo[/b]

Thanks mate, its not got anything that isnt strictly necessary in there, carpets going soon, once I find some seats for it.

Ru-iki
14th January 2008, 11:35 PM
Carpets gone, Recaro seat on the way, Camber plates coming, Wilwoods coming.

New radiator is in, with a 14 inch thermofan too, so its sweet as now.

Peter
14th January 2008, 11:55 PM
Nothing but quality. very nice.

Ru-iki
15th January 2008, 09:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Peter @ Jan 14 2008, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=468834)</div>
Nothing but quality. very nice.[/b]

Thanks mate, thanks alot.

Im planning to try and enter the Gatton, Oakey and Warwick sprints this year, so I desperately need camber in the front and some better dampers and brakes.

Ive also started on weight reduction. So far Ive pulled out the following:

Air con Pump and condenser - 13 kg
All interior underdash vents - 9kg
Interior plastics and consoles - 7kg
Firewall sound deadening - 7kg
Carpet and underlay including boot - 6.5kg
Back seat base - 5kg

So thats roughly 47kgs gone over standard, Im planning on removing the back seat backrest and passenger seat, spare and jack/tools for competition, so thats maybe another 25kg to go on race day. I must go to the dump and weigh her.

I had this awesome idea for a top gear skit, you buy an old car, go to the track, cut a time.
Then you go to the dump, weigh it on the way in, park her next to the landfill, out come the sockets and you unbolt and dump anything thats pointless weight into the hole.
Then you get it weighed on the way out, pay your levy and go straight back to the track to cut a lap time to test the result of the lightening.
Would make me cack myself, and prove a good point.

Im not removing the sound deadening because its just not worth it to go deaf on the way to the event, since she will be a truly streetable racer.

DRFTPG
15th January 2008, 10:45 AM
awsome! never seen this thread before..good read.

Your gauge "cluster" is a cool idea!! can you do that with any adaptronic ecu?

Gunner
15th January 2008, 10:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SON57A @ Jan 15 2008, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=468948)</div>
awsome! never seen this thread before..good read.

Your gauge "cluster" is a cool idea!! can you do that with any adaptronic ecu?[/b]

I think it works wit e420b and e420c, so yeah basically all of them sold within the last couple of years. I have to say, its awesome, some of the variables you can show are:

Coolant temp
Auxillary coolant temp
Intake air temp
Injector pulse width
Injector duty cycle
Knock sensor intensity
Speedo
Tacho
Manifold pressure
Ignition before top dead centre

the list goes on... there is about 17 different things to display.

The vidigauge box will also add usb connectivity, and also has a memory card slot for future data logging features which haven't been added yet.

All the dificulties I had with the readout were down to bad grounds and dirty power, shes fine now.

KE70briskev
16th January 2008, 11:16 AM
love this car matt goes sweet keep up the good work

hilton
16th January 2008, 11:23 AM
shit yeh this things nuts.

Ru-iki
17th January 2008, 08:50 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HiLtOn @ Jan 16 2008, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=469588)</div>
shit yeh this things nuts.[/b]

Thanks fellas, Hilton, Ill come grab those seats over the weekend I promise!!

Ru-iki
20th January 2008, 10:50 AM
I fitted the cusco mount for the t50, and also painted the crossmember.

Feels a little more direct, and the throttle response has improved a little.

[attachment=21248:underbody_002.jpg]

The carpet is gone and so are the door trims. I also fixed the driver window regulator since it was a two hand job for a time.

Ru-iki
2nd February 2008, 10:39 PM
I was fed up with the dents in it after a year of having it, so I changed the gaurd for a new one today. Fits as good as any but there is no antenna hole in it, so I have to work something out to get the radio working. Gave it a good clean under there too. To aide some wide wheel fitment I'm going to drill some new holes for the little rods that support the bottom front corners and push the gaurds out a bit.

The new seat is in also, many thanks to Rob Dixon for the fabrication work and the fun afternoon doing it.

I also made the mother of all air diverters to segregate hot and cold air. It works wonderfully well. Mines bigger than yours Gilly, lol.
Next step is to put a rubber seal arount three edges to keep it 100% effective at all times, even when stationary. I'm leaving the sheet in a raw sanded aluminium finish to increase the surface area of it to exchange more heat to the passing air.

Gilly
2nd February 2008, 11:31 PM
SWEET JEEZUS

that is a massive tray!!

Ru-iki
3rd February 2008, 11:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gilly @ Feb 2 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=479078)</div>
SWEET JEEZUS

that is a massive tray!![/b]

Told you I was making a massive one!!

DRFTPG
3rd February 2008, 02:31 PM
wow that is a massive tray!! ahaha works well I'm guessing? would you be better off doing something like on gillys yellow ke? with an angle on it and then maybe have a peice of pipeing to get some cool air in their?

Ru-iki
3rd February 2008, 05:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SON57A @ Feb 3 2008, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=479265)</div>
wow that is a massive tray!! ahaha works well I'm guessing? would you be better off doing something like on gillys yellow ke? with an angle on it and then maybe have a peice of pipeing to get some cool air in their?[/b]

Most of the intake air heat comes from the air which has heat exchanged into it from the radiator. As such its important to me to seal the air into two chambers. The tray will be rubber sealed to the chassis rail, the radiator support and the bonnet, and once thats done if needed the firewall. Ive got some proper velocity stacks coming so the air will be drawn from the far right. You can feel how well it works. If you drive till its all warm, then pull up and feel the top of the bonnet, its cold on the intake side, and hotter and hotter as you go to the exhaust side. I have the ideal testing tool with the vidigauge because I display intake air temp at all times.

I do need to be careful I don't bake the alternator, so Ive got a little cold air passage into the underside of the tray to cool it.

Once its finished Ill have an MDF template to make more if anyone with a 20 valve is keen. Once my stacks are on and the diff is in with the 4.556s I'm going in for a new tune and at that time, hopefully, with a little special attention to the diff it will pull over 100kw at the wheels with standard internals.

Gilly
4th February 2008, 08:10 AM
what model commo did you get the speed sensor from. i will be running different diff gears and will need to correct the speedo so was thinking of running a Apexi RSM, we don't all have bling'n digi dashes :P

you will be able to correct yours via the adaptronic yes??

have to chat with Ant r.e fan switiching, not used to aftermarket ECU's therefore not aware of cool features :lol:

shorty
4th February 2008, 08:39 AM
best fucking slanty front rolla ever

in love with this thing

nice build :2thumbs:

so what happend when u got pulled over?

Ru-iki
4th February 2008, 08:56 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jarryd @ Feb 4 2008, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=479711)</div>
best fucking slanty front rolla ever

in love with this thing

nice build :2thumbs:

so what happend when u got pulled over?[/b]

Cheers for the love.

Got a speeding ticket, nothing more thankfully. He did however look under the bonnet and ask me if I had upgraded the brakes. He let me off any defects for unengineered mods because I said I had a decent disc brake diff going in and was going to get a mod plate oce its all done. I explained that qld transport didnt want a mod plate to change the engine number, and he was fine with that.

Ru-iki
4th February 2008, 09:00 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gilly @ Feb 4 2008, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=479706)</div>
what model commo did you get the speed sensor from. i will be running different diff gears and will need to correct the speedo so was thinking of running a Apexi RSM, we don't all have bling'n digi dashes :P

you will be able to correct yours via the adaptronic yes??

have to chat with Ant r.e fan switiching, not used to aftermarket ECU's therefore not aware of cool features :lol:[/b]

The speed sensor is from an 80 series landcruiser. It wasnt super cheap, about 80 bucks from South side 4x4 wreckers, with the wiring clip included. It threads straight into mr t50 and is nicely protected by the crossmember.

Yes the adaptronic calibrates itself by just pushing a calibrate button at 50klm/hr, so any change in the driveline ratios and diameters can be fixed easily. Fan switching is aided by the adaptronic, and the speed sensor can play a role, by not allowing the thermofan to come on once you are over about 75klm/hr since its less efficient to have it running at speed.

Gilly
4th February 2008, 11:34 AM
aaaahh thought i read from a vp or something, all good, thanks for that i'll track when down closer to the time needed.

self calibration is a cool feature, i don't have the digi display and not sure if my adaptronic supports it (early) so i figure an RSM will give me speedo and tacho and i'll retain analogue dash for the other guages. thats pretty nifty in regards to the fan switching as well

I'll speak more to Ant about it when the time come.

cheers for the info

Ru-iki
4th February 2008, 07:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gilly @ Feb 4 2008, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=479749)</div>
aaaahh thought i read from a vp or something, all good, thanks for that i'll track when down closer to the time needed.

self calibration is a cool feature, i don't have the digi display and not sure if my adaptronic supports it (early) so i figure an RSM will give me speedo and tacho and i'll retain analogue dash for the other guages. thats pretty nifty in regards to the fan switching as well

I'll speak more to Ant about it when the time come.

cheers for the info[/b]

I used to have a vn auto box speed sensor, thats what you would have read. It was a piece of shit, just as youd expect.

Ru-iki
6th February 2008, 01:08 AM
A reshell is on the cars. Just picked up a granny auto poo brown ae71. Will be stripped, painted inside and out.

Thinking Ill strip the interior and paint the inside, and bay, do some welding in a few places. Maybe some hidden bracing here and there. Then Ill probly get the exterior properly sprayed in red, using the spirit bootlid and 'wing'. Its a slanty old girl so it will be much like little red, but stiffer, straighter, and less rusty.

The best part is there are only 2 bits of rust in the rear left gaurd. The boot is fine, the interior is mint, even the drivers door card is lovely and new looking. Doors still make a decent click when closed. 175,000klms. Little old lady had it for 20 years and lost license. The silicon is still alive under the boot and bonnet. The bay is untidy, but the 4ac is strong, if pissing oil. Not gonna fuck with it, just rip it out, and clean it up.

Guess I'm gonna have to get my dad to make me a car trailer.

obey wan boenny
6th February 2008, 01:20 AM
nice as Matt. Hope everything goes to plan.

Ru-iki
7th February 2008, 07:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (i-like-eggs @ Feb 6 2008, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=481146)</div>
nice as Matt. Hope everything goes to plan.[/b]

Cheers mate. can't see why it wont. Had a better look through the car now, and its as it should be.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads.

Option One: No compromise racer, full cage, seam weld, fully stripped, no rego bare essentials only.

Option Two: Streetable weekend machine, good for street sprints, some bracing, bolt in cage, but still street legal and very well presented.

Any ideas?

The only thing stopping me from going all out is the fact I'm pretty short of time for racing, and could only attend limited events.

starni_boy
7th February 2008, 07:40 PM
Option two!!

Very presentable ke70's arent exactly plentiful. Most of them are full of rust nowadays.

Your decision though, I'm just trying to help wth your decision

Ru-iki
9th February 2008, 09:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (starni_boy @ Feb 7 2008, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=482114)</div>
Option two!!

Very presentable ke70's arent exactly plentiful. Most of them are full of rust nowadays.[/b]

Good point, I may go that way....

Anyhow, here are some better pics of nanna.

The rust pictured on the gaurd is all of it, oh and the bubbling bit under the bootlid, but nothing is visible from the top yet...

So first things first, it needs a paint job. And the engine bay needs a massive clean, strip and repaint too.

Not too bad a car for 600 dollars.

Ru-iki
13th March 2008, 10:17 PM
Goods.

Ru-iki
26th March 2008, 10:36 AM
Now sporting a silvertop instead of the blacktop. It became too thirsty for oil, So I removed it.

Thanks to Beerhead for the help. Was a pretty big job because we didnt cut any corners on it.

Now running a low klm JDM T50.

Runs pretty good on the old ae111 tune. Should do. Its using the same injectors, quad throttles, flywheel, loom, cooling system, alternator and exhaust. We just wound the base timing back a bit to make sure its safe.

Ru-iki
27th March 2008, 11:56 AM
Some shots of the weekends work.

Ru-iki
31st March 2008, 04:32 PM
Just been tuned by Rob Novak. Immense improvement in throttle response, and 85kw atw from the new silvertop and it was dynoed in 4th for a change.

munki
1st April 2008, 01:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ru-iki @ Mar 31 2008, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=510680)</div>
Just been tuned by Rob Novak. Immense improvement in throttle response, and 85kw atw from the new silvertop and it was dynoed in 4th for a change.[/b]

looks like a fun beast!

How does the silvertop compare to the blacktop? is it much of a muchness with all the blacktop bits? If your selling the 4ac i would love to grab it for an interim engine

cheers

Daniel.

Ru-iki
2nd April 2008, 08:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munki @ Apr 1 2008, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=511182)</div>
looks like a fun beast!

How does the silvertop compare to the blacktop? is it much of a muchness with all the blacktop bits? If your selling the 4ac i would love to grab it for an interim engine

cheers

Daniel.[/b]

The 4ac has a blown hg.

The comparison is hard to make even with all the same gear, as I never really got onto a decent tune that wasnt too rich before I met Rob Novak. The silvertop spins em up really easy and seems to have a bit more bottom end and torque for sure, and they are much the same up top. I'm going to rebuild the Blacktop and that will be the next thing that goes in. The 2 engines sound different as well. The Blacktop note changed a lot more through the rev range and the silvertop just roars through in a sort of monotone. I believe most of the difference is down to tuning.

Ru-iki
15th April 2008, 11:15 AM
Fitted a manual switch and purge valve, to do away with fuelly smells while thrashing it. Changed oil and filter. Painted the black gaurd with a rattle red. Stripped Nanna back to chassis at the front end. It will be stripped with paint stripper, rust fixed and repainted before being put back together and maybe 2paked.

munki
18th April 2008, 01:16 AM
Interesting.

if the 4ac is in good nick apart from the hg i will grab it off you :)

ket me know.

PS love the paint job ;)

stefan
19th April 2008, 06:42 PM
wowzer bowzer this beast is mad

how are they new brakes?

looks so sweet

Ru-iki
19th April 2008, 09:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slippry @ Apr 19 2008, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=520178)</div>
wowzer bowzer this beast is mad

how are they new brakes?

looks so sweet[/b]

Been really slack. Ive got camber tops, Wilwoods, a swaybar, fender braces and more all waiting to go in and I havent had time to do it. Ill probably obtain some dampers and then do it all at once.

Ru-iki
21st April 2008, 01:41 PM
Diff!!!!!!!!!!!

4.555555555:1 T series JDM Disc Brake AE86 diff.

Has new centre bearings and seals, fresh powdercoating, new rotors, and rekitted calipers.

Ru-iki
21st April 2008, 05:52 PM
Put brakes on

freddie
21st April 2008, 10:05 PM
your an insperation to all us *E7* owners :P

Ru-iki
22nd April 2008, 09:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (freddie @ Apr 21 2008, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=521064)</div>
your an insperation to all us *E7* owners :P[/b]

Cheers Freddie.

Fender braces on!

obey wan boenny
22nd April 2008, 09:39 PM
very schmexy Matt :) I should get mine on..they've been sitting around collecting dust for the past 4 months:D

P.S - Tell us if it makes any noticable handling differences after you've taken it for a run in the hills or something :)

Ru-iki
22nd April 2008, 09:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hao @ Apr 22 2008, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=521593)</div>
very schmexy Matt :) I should get mine on..they've been sitting around collecting dust for the past 4 months:D

P.S - Tell us if it makes any noticable handling differences after you've taken it for a run in the hills or something :)[/b]

Yeah do it Hao. The back one made a big difference. I dare say these will do a fair bit. With impacts from the suspension, and the extra force given by braking its got to flex a lot between the firewall and the strut towers.

Ru-iki
27th April 2008, 11:01 AM
Diff is finally fitted.

Ru-iki
29th April 2008, 03:34 PM
Handbrake cable length issues sorted now. I used the sv11 mod. Yay, feels good.

Ru-iki
20th May 2008, 09:47 AM
This is my ninja, he has a rivet for a sword!

Ru-iki
5th June 2008, 02:25 PM
New kicks, Cheers Roo!

obey wan boenny
5th June 2008, 03:35 PM
Looking good Matt.

starni_boy
5th June 2008, 08:23 PM
Looks good.

How do the fender braces go? Thinking about buying some for mine, just seeing whether they make a noticeable difference.

Diff looks great!

Ru-iki
26th June 2008, 09:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (starni_boy @ Jun 5 2008, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=541971)</div>
Looks good.

How do the fender braces go? Thinking about buying some for mine, just seeing whether they make a noticeable difference.

Diff looks great![/b]

Thanks mate. The braces are great, they make the wheel a pleasure to hold. don't hold back, just go for it.

I bought a new distraction, so progress is a little slower than it has been for a while.

Ru-iki
11th July 2008, 09:54 AM
Straightened wheels:

Ru-iki
12th July 2008, 02:16 PM
Drum brakes locked up after a big drive through the Hinze area in the wet. Had to force the cylinder off the rhs. Inside I found the pin which holds the shoe in had lost the clip and the use of the handbrake had twisted it all sideways, braking both ends of the pistons. The whole thing just jammed.

Replaced piston, clip, pin, cleaned it all. Good as new.

Ru-iki
9th August 2008, 01:59 AM
Had it in the shop for cambertops, koni yellow fronts, fat front swaybar and big fuckoff brakes.

Ru-iki
10th September 2008, 01:05 AM
New wheels for the front.

obey wan boenny
10th September 2008, 03:09 AM
Looking good Matt :)

Hachi Roku
10th September 2008, 05:12 PM
wish those other pictures worked

great build, would have to agree with jarryd here. One of the best slant front here

Ru-iki
21st September 2008, 07:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hachi Roku @ Sep 10 2008, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=586258)</div>
wish those other pictures worked

great build, would have to agree with jarryd here. One of the best slant front here[/b]

Hey thanks alot for that.

Which pictures aren't working for you?

edit - Fixed a few on this page..

ae71neo
21st September 2008, 10:00 PM
Got any better pics of those front brace installs?

Ksevn-T
22nd September 2008, 12:56 AM
Looks absolutely tops! Gathering inspiration...

biggo
22nd September 2008, 07:21 AM
Its cooler than fish! Slanty fronts are hot, i hope your staying with it?

Ru-iki
22nd September 2008, 10:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggo @ Sep 22 2008, 06:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=591051)</div>
Its cooler than fish! Slanty fronts are hot, i hope your staying with it?[/b]

Biggo: For now but Im going to Pano front like the european rollas. Eventually. That will be on the next shell, but as far as this car goes its the little red spirit, and its gonna stay that way.

Ksevn-T: Thanks mate, glad you like it.

Neo:
Here you go my friend...

ae71neo
22nd September 2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks mate :)

slanty ftw ;)

starni_boy
22nd September 2008, 06:20 PM
Euro pano ftw ;)

Ru-iki
30th September 2008, 07:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (starni_boy @ Sep 22 2008, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=591248)</div>
Euro pano ftw ;)[/b]

For sure.

Looks tops.

On another note, I purchased a rather interesting item for my car today. A front spoiler. Its an original 80s item dated 1983. Never fitted new in the bag when I got it. Its injection moulded plastic too. Very light and strong. It also makes it possible to have chrome bumpers over the top. The picture just shows a saggy masking tape fitment, but Ill bolt it on soon and see how it makes the car feel. It definitely needs something aerodynamically.

08ftw
30th September 2008, 08:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ru-iki @ Sep 30 2008, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=594641)</div>
For sure.

Looks tops.

On another note, I purchased a rather interesting item for my car today. A front spoiler. Its an original 80s item dated 1983. Never fitted new in the bag when I got it. Its injection moulded plastic too. Very light and strong. It also makes it possible to have chrome bumpers over the top. The picture just shows a saggy masking tape fitment, but Ill bolt it on soon and see how it makes the car feel. It definitely needs something aerodynamically.[/b]

Would look better on a flat front. I.e mine. Haha nah, looks good man. Where did you get it from?

Ru-iki
30th September 2008, 08:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (08ftw @ Sep 30 2008, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=594655)</div>
Would look better on a flat front. I.e mine. Haha nah, looks good man. Where did you get it from?[/b]

Thanks Tim. Got it from a friend of a friend.

Roo
1st October 2008, 09:23 AM
looks awesome

obey wan boenny
1st October 2008, 10:48 AM
Shit yeah Matt, that lip looks hot!

Ru-iki
1st October 2008, 08:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hao @ Oct 1 2008, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=594859)</div>
Shit yeah Matt, that lip looks hot![/b]

Hey thanks a lot Hao. I bolted it on properly today, and it fits like a glove. I test drove up to 160 and it felt pretty damn planted. Need to do some ultra high speed runs sometime and check it out properly. Its wind tunnel tested though, so it cant be a bad thing. Ultra easy to fit too, took 2 zip ties, and 3 bolts and its on there tight. Cant do pics just yet cause the car had to stay at work tonight.

Hachi Roku
1st October 2008, 09:30 PM
love this car

I notice you had a faded out JAF badge on your grill. I've got one in perfect condition, not faded that im looking to sell

pm me if your interested, once again awesome build

Ru-iki
1st October 2008, 09:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hachi Roku @ Oct 1 2008, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=595110)</div>
love this car

I notice you had a faded out JAF badge on your grill. I've got one in perfect condition, not faded that im looking to sell

pm me if your interested, once again awesome build[/b]

Thanks but I'm cool with this one. Its one that I wont mind crushing someday, just like the car. If I get inspired one day ill buy some enamels and redo it.

Thanks again.