PDA

View Full Version : lowering your car

psi_72
17th July 2007, 07:02 PM
Hey guys, this isn't much of an article, more of just a heads up for everybody!

when lowering your ae/keto it's highly recommended that you loosen off your lower control arms so that the bolt is just loose,
then put your car back on the ground and drive it backwards and forwards a few times, then with the car on the ground eg.
not jacked up, tighten the lower control arm bolts as tightly as you can.

this will decrease the amount of bumpsteer you have! for those of you that have had your car lowered for quite a while the difference is <be>chalk and cheese</be> and is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! this will also in term increase the bushes life expectancy as rubber has memory ie. standard height. when you lower a car that rubber bush is then put under a lot of strain as it is trying to spring back up to standard height creating bumpsteer!

just thought I'd let those of you that didn't know, know!

cheers heaps,
Scott

japlish
17th July 2007, 10:46 PM
What about when you put new poly bushes in?

dr1ft-pig
18th July 2007, 09:08 AM
you do the same thing, tighten all of your bushes up when it's sitting at it's usual ride height

ae71
18th July 2007, 12:35 PM
also when your doing the rear, you can have the jack under the diff so it's at ita normal hight, just remember that you should always have stands under the car supporting the weight only having the jack supporting the diffs weight.

also just pushing down on the car or a few people pushing down (when it's nice and stiff) would do the same thing or more then reversing down the driveway?

Hen is a total nutcase
18th July 2007, 03:09 PM
It doesn't matter with poly bushes. They don't suffer the same problems from tightening in the wrong spot as rubber bushes do.

Sound advice, however I'd be changing all bushes before changing anything else in the suspension.

Hen

psi_72
18th July 2007, 06:34 PM
^^^^^^^INDEED^^^^^^

but I also would not recommend urethane bushes for the lower controll arm. I've replaced mine with rubber and I have seen quite a few cars with urethane bushes in lower controll arm setup like 86's and they all just destroy themselves. rubber is just by far the best replacement option for lower controll arms.

scott

Jonny Rochester
18th July 2007, 07:08 PM
Polyurathane bushes should get a lot of grease when put in. I have not had problems with them and they don't need to be tightened with the car at ride height. As long as they are greased.

biggo
21st July 2007, 08:47 PM
I've had plenty of LCA poly bushes split when loaded up with castor. it's not fun trust me.

Also while on that note, caster arms bushes should also stay rubber as the poly ones tend to bind when the suspension has a lot of travel.

thats a good heads up tho psi, it's not something the kid on here would know.

paulie
23rd July 2007, 06:01 PM
Rose joints kick arse but on a daily driven car it is a very un necessary option..

rallystanza
23rd July 2007, 06:44 PM
well yes rose joints are good but only for a race car, I believe rose jointed ANYTHING on a road car is illegal.
and there is also adverse affects to rose joints, the extra stress it puts on a car, extra noises blah blah blah but none the less they are good! :2thumbs: but this topic is not about that, it's merely about what should be done to every lowered car to make for a better ride! :lol:

cheers scott

psi_72
21st August 2007, 11:01 PM
by the way this is what a lot of people are 'correcting' by installing rca's, they change the arm angle to somewhat where they were before lowering the car. Though they do help, if you do both, as in loosen off bolts and tighten and install rca's that = win for you and the handling of your car!