PDA

View Full Version : a new direction

darkon
29th July 2007, 08:11 PM
I was reading the "is drift a fad" thread and I had an idea.. personally I think watching drift australia is pretty boring. (I can definately tolerate watching d1 haha those c**ts are psycho) what I find is boring about it is that the idiots are so slow? I mean what sorta skill is involved in hittin it hard on the straight then slowing down to a crawl sideways for the corner? I love watchin hachis slide because most of the time they don't even THINK about a handbrake or a break pedal cuz the engines so underpowered they can't AFFORD to lol. anyway that said. what sorta direction would you like drifting to go in? id personally like to see it get faster? maybe even a composite sprint/drift race where not all the corners are slid? that way when someone hits sideways it wont be some shitty show boat thing it will be neccessary, spectacular and unexpected. I mean driftings stayed the same for ages in japan and america... but then again americans watch nascars go around in circles for like a couple hundred laps and most people I know only watch the v8s for the crashes so id like to think that here in oz we have a slightly shorter attention span. anyway thoughts and opinions fellas give us your best

RObErT_RaTh
29th July 2007, 08:40 PM
I reckon we just need some crazy japanese commentators, :2thumbs:

but yeah I agree with the faster speeds, however I can see y we don't already mix sprints with drift, because it is random so other drivers don't know when the car in front of them is going to slide, so they can't apprehend spins properly, therefore higher risk of collisions

biggo
29th July 2007, 08:48 PM
the msc competition or whatever it is called is what your looking for. it's basically a grassroots japany driftoo comp

darkon
29th July 2007, 08:51 PM
ke86 I can see your point and biggo can you give me a little more detail on this msc stuff?

puzzigully
29th July 2007, 09:18 PM
can you stop making thread for every thought that pops into your head? have you even been watching the progress of australian drifting, it's getting a lot faster and the skill level is amazing. do some research

Hen is a total nutcase
30th July 2007, 11:24 AM
I think it's a bit much to say "it's too slow". I was working at an event at Winton on the weekend and there was a great range of drivers, some slow beginners and some guys who were insanely fast. Fast is good, but it isn't simply a matter of deciding to go faster round the corner.

I'd recommend you get out on track a bit more and even get someone to video it so you can compare your feeling with the crowd's view.

Hen

JDM FANBOY EK9
30th July 2007, 12:00 PM
DA = banned I wanna see actual streets closed off on sundays for up and down hill events thats the direction I wanna see it take not a 31 pinny against a 12000 hp commie just my 2 cents

Intense
30th July 2007, 01:09 PM
No way you can say it's slow, almost all of the tracks here require you to enter at insanely high speeds, 140kmh+. And it takes big balls to do that and pull it off just meters away from the other guy who's doing the exact same thing. Competition drifting is pretty boring though, and watching drifting gets pretty boring. Just hammers into your head that you're not on the track when you really want to be.
I'd like to see a state of origin style competition. That would be cool. Have a number of the best drivers from each state and a state points tally so that it's not just one driver, but the entire state on the leader board. Something like this would unify people from the different states and get them to root for their own state and local drivers.

electric mic
30th July 2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah I rekon calling slow is a bit harsh. There is no way I have the balls to hit corners at that speed. I quite like it to be honest. Comparing it to D1 isn't really fair, thats like saying our basketball isn't as good as the NBA.. it's a whole 'nother level.

Although, I was thinking I would actually prefer to see 2v2 battles similar to touge. More of a touge championship type thing. You could just use hillclimb venues or pre approved tarmack rally tracks and run two cars at the same time ala best motoring... although it would extremely dangerous, it would be great to watch.

my 2c anyway

haado gei
30th July 2007, 04:02 PM
^^ yah I don't like drift. I would be interested if it went back to the touge battle to watch, I would love it.

Delazy
30th July 2007, 05:28 PM
keep an eye out for the happenings within the drift community in 2008 ;)

it will be the golden year for drift in australia for sure

Konakid
30th July 2007, 06:46 PM
keep an eye out for the happenings within the drift community in 2008 ;)

it will be the golden year for drift in australia for sure[/b]

Explain?

We need D1 drivers to come over here more often to remind us how crap the majority of our 'top' drivers are.

MSC FTW

dr1ft-pig
30th July 2007, 07:02 PM
I wanna see em get rid of all the gay v8's and stick with all the import style 4 and 6cyl turbo and and/a cars, just like it is in japan, id try go live there but id stress out, too many asians in one place freaks me out(not being racist) just for the fact I can't understand what they r saying, for some reason I think they r talking about me lol

Driftspec
30th July 2007, 10:08 PM
it's not slow... just not as fast as it could be IMO. More crowd involvement, more coverage, international professional drifters (like the one that's in DA now), better commentators and it will improve... Not to mention manufacturer support. There's something about lots of horsepower, fresh exhaust fumes and burnt rubber that makes people happy. As for how the professional/competitive drift series' take advantage of that is another matter. Whether it means more cars on track, more excitement, it can only be good for the sport.

I'm very interested to hear about what plans the drift community has for next year.

As for the DA series maturing, it might take a while for proper acceptance and publicity in the Australian motorsport community. V8 Supercars didn't really take off until several years ago (I think 98/99 was highlighted as the time it started to become accepted as THE Australian Touring Car Comp). Expecting DA to be the end all for drift in Aus is a bit of an understatement, I for one can't wait to see it improve, both as a spectator and a driver (in the lower, grass roots comps anyway).

Saikou
31st July 2007, 01:48 AM
it's getting there, and yeah compared to D1, D1 one is like another world where their cars are like transformers driven by a ninja like keiichi tsuchiya (is a god hehe), but as for our it's getting there and I enjoy watching it, before I haven't seen a S15 on track the last time I went it was tearing it up on barbagello =D.
I can't wait to see an FD3S tearing it up (I wonder who has money to waste) xD.

hara_kiri
31st July 2007, 08:38 AM
some jap tracks would be saweet over here, we need there training tracks, that'd be the shiz

street comps happen over here, there just secretly done haha

ae86hachiroku
31st July 2007, 02:58 PM
I just want to see drift here turn into exactly like how drift in japan is, but that's not going to happen.

Konakid
31st July 2007, 05:41 PM
some jap tracks would be saweet over here, we need there training tracks, that'd be the shiz

street comps happen over here, there just secretly done haha[/b]

Training tracks are exactly whats needed. Preferably in the hills, purpose built, short, one way, tou-ge runs which can be slid, simulating hills sliding.

The reason that this hasn't happened yet is because there is not enough demand for it to be economically sustainable as the sport has only been in Aus a handful of years and is still finding it's feet. I predict that in the next 5 years, IF drift is picked up by more and more drivers, then we should see some of these training tracks being built.

johnny_08
31st July 2007, 06:11 PM
or build a track just for drift designd by drifters? damn I shoulda bought oran park when it was goin cheap :P

Saikou
31st July 2007, 11:16 PM
or build a track just for drift designd by drifters? damn I shoulda bought oran park when it was goin cheap :P[/b]
yeah, just like the Drift Land in the BMI's Drift Bible where Keiichi was playing around with an 86.
He said those kind of places are the best place to practice because you don't danger people's lives.

Intense
31st July 2007, 11:46 PM
Easier option is to find a gokart owner and convince him theres more money in whoring it out to drifters than there is to go karters

dr1ft-pig
31st July 2007, 11:57 PM
I just want to see drift here turn into exactly like how drift in japan is, but that's not going to happen.[/b]

exacltly what I was thinking

Intense
1st August 2007, 01:00 AM
Can't see that ever happening because the australian mentality is quite different. We have a win at all costs mentality where as in japan the winning part isn't as important as being respected. Drifting is just a great way for them to exhibit their car control and sure there are a few head hunters out there who go for gold, but not to the extent aussies do (cough*bolger*cough)

flamingheads
1st August 2007, 01:29 AM
I reckon the sweetest way for drift to go would be to build nice downhill tracks and have some downhill battles so it was drift racing instead of just drifting for show. Not that thats ever going to happen but it's a cool dream.

nebuchernezzer
1st August 2007, 02:45 AM
I don't get the people thinking some cars are silly for drift thing.
Who cares if some bloke drifts a V8 Commo, no problems with that.
Of course I do have a problem with his lack of skill, personality and other faults of course.
The oz mentality is certainly a bit different but not so much that we can't make drifting here look good, judging on line, emulation and so on needs to be much harsher so that people actually do it though, I guess drivers are doing what they know will get them good points.
Having said that the judging is improving slowly though.

All up oz has a lbit of a way to go still, if I can place 4th in a fairly decent oz comp then we can't say we are world class lol.

I don't like watching DA or anything though, it's certainly not uber exciting to watch, I don't find D1 as fun to watch as D1SL and MSC either although I've only seen D1 in person at Fuji which isn't as crowd friendly as some of the old 'close in' tracks. They seem to enjoy it a lot more in Japan to, all the guys I was against in the last comp I did in oz looked like it was hard work or it was scary lol. I was the only one having fun as far as I could see lol.

Most fun I've ever had watching drift was at Nanko in Osaka, but that is dead these days.

Intense
1st August 2007, 03:54 AM
I'm guessing the street scene over there has died down heaps since they started to crack down on it so much, seems similar to what we have here. Used to be much more unofficial drifting going on but impound laws kinda put a quick stop to that.

Driftspec
2nd August 2007, 12:44 AM
Easier option is to find a gokart owner and convince him theres more money in whoring it out to drifters than there is to go karters[/b]

http://secretdrift.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=12283

Awww yeah!

Sure would be a lot of fun.

As has been mentioned in other threads, drift should be all about mutual respect, showing off to the crowd and having a sh*tload of fun out on the track. Thats what I try to do :)

mech`s blue
5th August 2007, 05:53 PM
IMO i find that drifting in aus is more of a sport that people would rather be involved in than watch.
where-as in the US and japan (and even europe) they are larger populated countries that are very heavily involved in motorsport at a world level not just a community and national level.

however having said that countries like malaysia and NZ are finding their footing on the world level but thats mostly due to government involvement, dollar values and import laws.

in other words... take away world motorsport involvement, higher interest due to high density popultion, bigger dollar budgets and you're left with australia thats why drifting will take a longer time to grow here than anywhere else... IMO

unit101
5th August 2007, 08:08 PM
I like the idea of one way touge style tracks being built over here. Drift was born in the mountains, and it is still the most fun way to enjoy it, whether you are watching or driving.

rokutofu
19th August 2007, 08:05 PM
It would also be interesting IMO if DA expanded internationally and versed a neighbor country eg. New Zealand? Seems like a crazy idea, probably never happening anytime soon. Cost and funding would most likely be the biggest trouble?

resol
20th August 2007, 03:03 AM
DA = banned I wanna see actual streets closed off on sundays for up and down hill events thats the direction I wanna see it take not a 31 pinny against a 12000 hp commie just my 2 cents[/b]

totally agree with you there. would love to see organized street drifting. legal, blocked off events. they have tarmac rallys, street race tracks why not legal street drifting?

-dan

andro0o
20th August 2007, 06:27 AM
I like the idea of one way touge style tracks being built over here. Drift was born in the mountains, and it is still the most fun way to enjoy it, whether you are watching or driving.[/b]

this has already been done kumokubo built the track himself at the ibisu(spelling) curcuit.

JDM FANBOY EK9
20th August 2007, 10:54 AM
^^ thanku resol i only attend practise nights in adelaide because i know some of the drivers and can actually see if they have had a good or bad run instead of sitting next to idiots at a comp crapping on about how sh*t that guy is cos he spun or how fkn fantastic that monaro is grass roots events are the best none of this comercial crap

djscheppy
25th August 2007, 09:15 AM
what i think about this is taking the DA round up here in Queensland its the same shit slow corner speed and just shit loads of smoke you cant see anything! BORING not skill like car park drifitng! but there really isnt any where else to drift apart from there!

need somewhere like lakeside or someone else to build something new. drifting events up here in queensland suck unless its a practice event and everyone is out there just having fun.

i say fuck robby B's commonwhore off and get some more excitment back into the championships

FLT LNR
26th August 2007, 03:47 AM
I just want to see drift here turn into exactly like how drift in japan is, but that's not going to happen.[/b]

same.

just gotta roll with it i guess. though i'm saddened that aus spec drifting is getting to be mostly V8s.

drifting should be nimble, graceful even.

everyone going V8s reminds me of V8 taxi racing.. ahem... i mean v8 supercars.

guess maybe v8s are aussie "culture". i might wish they werent, but hey, guess we gotta live with it. <_< :unsure:

ke70_sa
31st August 2007, 03:47 PM
im sick of seeing commodores drift, and winning the competition!
im sick of commentators that dont know shit about the sport pretend to know what they are on about like that "racin jason" f**ker
im sick of people putting v8s then into decent jap cars...
its a japanese sport, keep it japanese!
that was the one thing australia was doing differently from the US.
we cherished the roots of drift..and NOW we have a v8 at the top of our national leaderboard :angry:

im all for diversity...but ban the V8's..
if you want to keep the v8s, then the judges really shouldnt talk about "proximity" and that crap and focus on the actual style.

i dunno, if you dont agree, whatever, this is a website, im just puttin in my bit.

cheers

rb27dett
31st August 2007, 07:13 PM
^^ there's nothing wrong with v8's IMO as long as they are set up properly SOME of them drift quite well ,
the juding sucks though and thats the main problem i hate it when i see those guys pull away on the straight and win cause they have 1000hp or the ones who have paid there way into DA and cant drift for penuts (a certain 34) some of the most talented guys couldnt compete this year cause of the money that it cost to enter , all this adds up to make DA about adverts and not talent .dont feel bad though its happening in japan too , no more kazama , taniguchi , orido , they have left due to the judging and cost of D1 events . it will get better or it will turn into v8 super drift ford vs holden and the rednecks will be out in force :lol: my 2 cents

floody31
3rd September 2007, 02:05 PM
I predict that in the next 5 years, IF drift is picked up by more and more drivers, then we should see some of these training tracks being built.[/b]

I don't. People need to look at the sharp reality of what building and maintaining a racetrack costs these days. It costs literally millions of dollars to build one, and then hundreds of thousands to maintain.
The entire market segment that is drift in Australia wouldn't produce enough cash to build one dedicated facility. Won't happen.

im sick of seeing commodores drift, and winning the competition![/b]
Well then perhaps other teams need to have some faith in the sport and put their money where their mouths are.

its a japanese sport, keep it japanese![/b]

Lets just ban it in Australia and all the drifters can migrate to Japan, to keep it real.

Konakid
3rd September 2007, 06:32 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=381948)
I predict that in the next 5 years, IF drift is picked up by more and more drivers, then we should see some of these training tracks being built.[/b]

I don't. People need to look at the sharp reality of what building and maintaining a racetrack costs these days. It costs literally millions of dollars to build one, and then hundreds of thousands to maintain.
The entire market segment that is drift in Australia wouldn't produce enough cash to build one dedicated facility. Won't happen.[/b]

Hmmmm true that, depends how big it gets i guess but the more i think about it the less likely its gonna happen, there just isnt enough interest yet but im still optimistic.

RME1
3rd September 2007, 07:52 PM
I think that current race track owners and stakeholders will be considering creating off shoots so that drifitng and other driver practice aids will be developed to cater for drifting. I mean, it would compliment the race track and will generate additional revenue. $_$ e.g. Calder 'race way'

madrift
4th September 2007, 07:08 PM
Can't see that ever happening because the australian mentality is quite different. We have a win at all costs mentality where as in japan the winning part isn't as important as being respected. Drifting is just a great way for them to exhibit their car control[/b]
Good point mate, i think this makes up a big part of the difference.

biggo
4th September 2007, 08:03 PM
some of you people fail to realise that this being australia, for drift to grow it will NEED to incorporate parts of our culture. That means V8's. personally i have nothing against them as the standard cars they come in take a heck lot of time to set up.

Japs have been doin this for a longer time than us, therefore there is no way we can just make a leap 5 or even 10 years ahead in time and make drifting in australia the way YOU want it.

Seriously if it wasnt for DA then none of you would have to whinge. Granted its not as exciting to us who have tasted the fruits of janaps flavour but imagine what its like for the kids of the next generation. After all it has to start somewhere.

pebbles
4th September 2007, 10:47 PM
i find watching drift pracs fun, as u get to see more people make mistakes, not like crashes and stuff but its just more fun because you can wonder about peoples abilitys and laugh at falcons with lockers
and by wonder about peoples abilities i dont mean think about how crap they are i mean think about what they could do to slide better and stuff, i probs dont make any sense but i know in my mind what i mean....i think lol