PDA

View Full Version : TPS Adjustment

ru486
5th August 2007, 06:53 PM
Sick of bucking and surging at low speed around carparks?
Sick of poor fuel economy?

Then you need this! ;)

http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/TPS/tps.html

Nice MR2 site I found with a simple and accurate procedure for adjusting the TPS on a 16v 4AGE.
There are a few other things on there that might come in handy too.

I followed the instructions and found I needed about 1mm clockwise adjustment. Its a bit fiddly as it goes from the correct reading to overload in a fraction of a mm. Be careful tightening the screws again so as not to upset the adjustment.

After adjustment it no longer cuts out the fuel when crawling along in second gear, and overall seems a bit more eager to rev than before.

Pretty simple thing to fix, so hope this helps someone.

parrot
5th August 2007, 09:09 PM
Or you can just use the Toyota manuals in the tech docs.

yoshimitsu9
6th August 2007, 05:24 PM
what idle do other pple get? mine idles around 1100-1200 is that normal? why i ask is because my car is an ex race car and it has a 3" throttle body (nice throttle response :D ) and no idle advance or cold start

Brendo
10th August 2007, 12:41 PM
mine idles at about 2 - 2.5 k and is just up and down like your revving it

mine is smallport its the same principal with the TPS yeah?

stefan
10th August 2007, 01:14 PM
mine idles bout 900 rpm and with lights on bout 750rpm

thats on a 100kw smallport

dustyae86
10th August 2007, 02:37 PM
mine idles bout 900 rpm and with lights on bout 750rpm

thats on a 100kw smallport[/b]

same with gze??? the adjustment?

awang
11th August 2007, 09:55 PM
mine idle at 1.5k - 2k, big port it is

awang
11th February 2008, 02:16 PM
just curious, what if running the engine witout the TPS? can it still run?

driftism
12th February 2008, 07:56 PM
yes, but it will die when you try to rev it

awang
13th February 2008, 12:34 AM
thats what confuse me, a friend of mine dish the TPS, been running the car with out it for 2 years now, 4age mr2 mk1, tho idling is a bit rough

Nikkojoe
13th February 2008, 01:04 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4AGE - 86 @ Feb 12 2008, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=484740)</div>
yes, but it will die when you try to rev it[/b]

It wont die when you rev. Ive driven my car without tps for testing purposes and my mate has not run his tps since it failed about 6months ago. Without tps it wont go into idle loop.

These were both bigport ge's and my gze running an ae101 ecu/loom works fine without tps.

86adz
13th February 2008, 10:50 AM
yeh i was pulling my hair out for a few weeks wondering why my 4age was running like shit after i put the head back on after it had some work. found that same article, set of feeler gauges and multimeter and had the thing running sweet in half an hour. so if ur kanga hopping cruising slowly or when u get on or off the throttle then check to see if tps is positioned correctly

SNAP
14th February 2008, 04:52 PM
can someone explain what you have done once you finish the test? how do you work out how much to adjust it by? and which direction?

parrot
17th February 2008, 03:02 PM
The explanation is.....download the manual from the tech docs and do what it says.

I think Toyota know how to do it.

Nikkojoe
17th February 2008, 10:49 PM
Just unplug and leave the tps there

dustyae86
18th February 2008, 07:44 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4agteketo @ Feb 17 2008, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=487837)</div>
so you CAN run without a TPS?

what do you do with the TPS wiring?

I'm guessing you just tape up the wiring, and take the TPS off the side of the throttle body? or can you leave the TPS on the side of the throttle body and just disconnect the wiring?[/b]

why would you do that though?? if you can run it run it

driftism
20th February 2008, 11:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (parrot @ Feb 17 2008, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=487565)</div>
The explanation is.....download the manual from the tech docs and do what it says.

I think Toyota know how to do it.[/b]

Where is this, i was trying to find it and i couldn't

really need to have a look as well, so if you could point me in the right direction it would be great! :)

driftism
20th February 2008, 11:43 PM
oh, and i disconnected my tps today just to see how it runs....

it runs, but idles at 2k and when you press the throttle it dies for a moment and then revs up again. not really ideal if you ask me... :S

parrot
21st February 2008, 10:52 AM
When you come into tech articles, look at the pinned items at the top of the page. Click on

'Find your body manuals and wiring diagrams here'

Scroll down the thread a little way and you will find the diagnosis manual, electrical wiring diagram books etc that I have scanned and had posted on aeu86.org The diagnosismanual is invaluable and includes a very nice simplified engine wiring diagram as well as how to adjust and diagnosis TCCS faults

I would just post the link, but hopefully this will help other people in future find it themselves. I'm not having a go at you! I never look at the pinned items either.

driftism
23rd February 2008, 12:19 PM
I thought that was it, but i didn't want to download it on dialup and then discover that it was the wrong thing!

Cheers mate.

parrot
24th February 2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah, they are big files. You have to go broadband!!

Don't know how I lived without it.

stylz
27th July 2008, 08:56 PM
one problem with mine is that i can put a feeler gauge in there.
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/174184.jpg

theres about a 5mm gap between the two. can i just use any ol bolt to fit it and create no space between the two?

sdm86
28th July 2008, 10:28 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nikkojoe @ Feb 12 2008, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485060)</div>
It wont die when you rev. Ive driven my car without tps for testing purposes and my mate has not run his tps since it failed about 6months ago. Without tps it wont go into idle loop.

These were both bigport ge's and my gze running an ae101 ecu/loom works fine without tps.[/b]

am i that guy tom ?

ahhaa
yeah mines been dead for about 6months
and took it out.
now mine idles between 1500 and 2000 depending on temp.
its not to bad as i don't have a fully sick exhaust on it so idling doesnt phase me.
just a bit hard to start before work at close to 0degrees

Nikkojoe
28th July 2008, 01:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d1doony @ Jul 28 2008, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=567754)</div>
am i that guy tom ?

ahhaa
yeah mines been dead for about 6months
and took it out.
now mine idles between 1500 and 2000 depending on temp.
its not to bad as i don't have a fully sick exhaust on it so idling doesnt phase me.
just a bit hard to start before work at close to 0degrees[/b]

No, not you. :P

To be fair, I think your tps is actually working, just you have other issues causing you to think it's tps..... :)