PDA

View Full Version : Steery's RT142 Avante

Steery
6th April 2009, 09:40 PM
Ok, i've had this car for a fair while and its stayed stock/off the road due to lack of money. Finally working full time and its getting some love.

It's an RT142 Avante, so 22-RE, W55, Live Axle, power steering, central locking. Etc.

I've got a set of 15x8 -9 Challengers for it, but they aren't on the car at the moment. Waiting for it to be low for that because i need some neg camber (instead of the current monster truck pos camber stylez) to fit the fronts under the guards.

It's getting CS bumbers because i hate the even bigger than normal colour coded ugly as fuck Avante ones, removed mud flaps etc. And i'll probably clean it, but you never know.

Pics.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/631/myrona.jpg

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/628/mychallengers.jpg

No suspension work is going to be done by me, it will all be done by AJPS. Simply because i don't have the tools or the time.

Throw me suspension ideas, (for the front) And lets try and keep it under $1000. Dave quoted me $950 for coilovers, 75 for bushes, and 180ish for labour. Don't know what struts etc would be used though.

What are the options for front camber? Looking for -3ish.

Enjoy.

Konakid
7th April 2009, 10:25 AM
You need to grab some RA60 struts, brakes, steering arms, everything basically from a power steering model RA60 or SA63. 25mm shorter steering arms will give you faster steering and more lock, you'll get vented discs too.

Options for front camber are simple, get some 2nd hand S13 cambertops they will bolt straight in.

Best to spend a bit more and get some RCA's also (currently getting numbers for group buy)

benzo
7th April 2009, 12:51 PM
This is gonna look pretty tough once slammed with some decent sussy lol

stupidly clean corona as well :thumbup:

My Challengers suit it sweet too ay

Cheers, Ben.

marvis
7th April 2009, 06:39 PM
S13 coilover setup FTW. Nice find also.

IRS = Winnar.

Steery
7th April 2009, 07:03 PM
It's Live Axle. Only reason i would like IRS is to throw a MA61 LSD in it.

I'm gonna go RA60 coilovers. Everything fitting in with no fucking around is more appealing than the slight fucking around needed to fit the S13 shit.

Yeah it's clean as. I couldn't find a spot of rust on the whole car when i bought it, thats probably changed now since it hasnt been garaged for like.. 8 months.

Also has an alarm and immobiliser, don't have to worry about the frequent thefts in ADL now.

dori142
7th April 2009, 07:08 PM
change the diff as well. most of the 22r corona's have a 3.4. swapping over to a st141 diff will be a bolt in or a ra60 will need the tail shaft done as well.
celica gear in the front is the go with s13 tops. you could go a complete s13front but i don't think its worth it, i'm more than happy with how mine is.

Steery
7th April 2009, 07:15 PM
I don't really want to change the ratio's, these motors dont rev so a long second gear is nice.

Waiting for a quote from Dave for the ra60 coilovers + labour, will see how much this is going to set me back. I'll hit up a wrecker for steering arms after easter. Broke for the next week and a half. Easter is knocking $360 off my pay for the week cause of the holidays.

Fucking easter.

marvis
7th April 2009, 07:54 PM
Sorry man missed that one.

marvis.

Steery
7th April 2009, 08:19 PM
A lot of people miss it, even when they read what i say they still think it's IRS.

Everyone seems to think that every avante ever produced had IRS.

Ah well, i went through your thread marv and i think an Auto diff could be the go. Just need the Auto centre and gears?

Konakid
7th April 2009, 10:52 PM
Buy an auto disc diff, you get the 4.09 ratio and disc brakes.

Still has an internal drum handbrake so sweet for skids still.

Steery
7th April 2009, 10:58 PM
I already have a disk rear end, so dont need it. Im guessing i just need the centre and gears?

Konakid
8th April 2009, 01:55 AM
Definately

Steery
8th April 2009, 07:22 PM
All you suckers with no power steering, guffaw.

Hokey
8th April 2009, 10:51 PM
are ra60 or sa63 power steering arms shorter than rt142 power steering arms? what about ra65? interesting info.

Steery
9th April 2009, 12:07 AM
i got no idea, i'm fairly in the dark with this. i'm pretty much relying on konakids and daves recommendations.

can't wait to get the coilovers in and the challengers on.

Konakid
9th April 2009, 11:31 AM
are ra60 or sa63 power steering arms shorter than rt142 power steering arms? what about ra65? interesting info.

My sources say that RA60, RA65, SA63, RT142 and ST141 PS arms are the same length so i guess you already have them in the avante.

Maybe you could use a non ps rack for more lock?

Steery
9th April 2009, 08:56 PM
Can't really be bothered swapping the racks, has a fairly large amount of lock as it is. Steering is also fast.

Want money.

Also, do the front lips that people put on e7's fit on coronas? would look good.

mack 10
10th April 2009, 01:04 AM
Yeow! its finaly being worked on. Do a burnout!

corknose
10th April 2009, 11:31 PM
anypics with them wheels on and also paint that front bumper

benzo
11th April 2009, 03:14 PM
There is no need to repaint the front bumper

its minta

Steery
12th April 2009, 09:40 PM
the front bumper is not going to be painted because its mint, its getting replaced with a black shorter one from a corona cs or csi.

also no, i dont have a picture of it with the wheels on, but the front looks like a monstertruck due to the smaller rolling diameter of the wheels and how high mine is. wouldnt surprise me if it had been raised at some point in its life.

all stock suspension seems ot be in pretty good condition, hopefully no issues there when it eventually gets sent to regency.

update on the wheel situation: either the rear studs are to short, or i have to run wheel nuts with no washers. not really happy. but its the studs fault, not the wheels.

2.5 turns to finger tight isnt enough on wheel nuts, is it? i could get 4 maybe 5 if i took the washers off. the nuts have tapered seats.

and busby, no burnouts haha. unless its 11:30, out the front of big w and i magically get my commy back. i sorta miss mercilessly thrashing the fuck out of that thing.

benzo
12th April 2009, 09:53 PM
Hey Josh I'll swap the proper performance nuts for your stock ones if they are the same as stock KE70 nuts

I have no need for fancy nuts lol

Steery
13th April 2009, 04:10 PM
Aight, ill get a couple of photos of my normal nuts a bit later today.

Just need to feel a bit better so i can actually get up, haha.

Cheers bro.

Steery
15th April 2009, 03:15 PM
Wheels and car could be for sale soon. $950 for wheels, $1750 slightly neg for the car.

shits mint, yo.

benzo
15th April 2009, 06:18 PM
Wut? Why?

Steery
15th April 2009, 09:56 PM
don't know whether the dedication is there to put up with the crap that goes along with driving and sliding such an illegal car.

if i spend money on it and sell im gonna lose. if i dont spend money and sell im sitting even.

not sure yet. gotta think about it more.

mack 10
15th April 2009, 10:44 PM
Cars are money pits dude. Modifying is another step

Its a sickness... only cured by poverty

corknose
15th April 2009, 10:50 PM
amen to that brother

Steery
16th April 2009, 12:08 AM
I'm a V8 man at heart, this was going to tide me over untill i could afford a mint hsv enhanced VS Caprice or similar.

$4500 closer if i dont do it. Hard decision.