PDA

View Full Version : Project: Grippuuuuuuuuu

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 10:18 AM
Ok guys, i had a members ride ages ago but it was deleted because of wakk amounts of spam, though i might as well start another one so i can get some advice etc on my ideas and modifications :)

I bought it off of a mate (brendo) who gave it a sound thrashing as a "drift pig" so the car was pretty worn out... i have taken it in and am hopefully going to make it into a reasonable grip car, that will be setup for hills driving. I also want to clean it up a little and make it look a bit more presentable as this is my thrasher and daily driver.

This car has gone from clean and stock, to thrashed and slid, and hopefully im bringing it to a tidy (ish) and fun car :)

Please note that the car is NOT setup for drifting, so any help and opionions should factor this in.

Anyway, here is a list of the current specifications of the car:

Model:
- Toyota te72 T18

Engine:
- 3tc (pushrod junk)
- 2 1/4 exhaust, flame-a-thon

Suspension:
- 6kg front springs
- 4.5kg rear spring
- KYB excel-g short stroke shocks all round
- 25mm bolt on spacers

Drivetrain:
- Exedy 4 puck sprung centre clutch

Interior:
- Luke 4 point harness
- Dayotna fixed back bucket seat
- Stripped rear interior
- "ADM Nardi" :lol:, just some cheap dished SAAS wheel
- Disturbing oil pressure gauge

Wheels and tyres:
- 2x 14x7 +8 MA61 sup-rah rims (back junk)
- 4x 14x6 +25 BBS replicas (more back junk)
- 2x 14x7 -5 Cheviot Mysterys (front runners, borrowed! Lub you Aaron)
- Yokohama C-drive on the front (185/60/14)
- Random rubber (usually Yokohama A-drive) on the back (175/65/14)

Bedroom mounted modifications:
- Fender mirros (superwakk stuff)
- Front lip (pretty average, but looks better than the galvo front lip :P)
- Sigma Arms
- Rear bolt on flares
- Spirit wing
- Stock front guards (to reflare)
- Bigger carb
- Series two interior, black (how rollaclub am i!)
- Lots of spares

Short term planned modifications:
- 14x8 SSR mk2's all round
- Camber tops
- Swaybars
- Removable carpets
- Kyouteki braces
- New front tyres
- New shocks all round (excel-g are good, but not good enough)
- New bushes all round

I will post some pictures up soon, I have to find some. Its not much to look at the moment (imagine a rusting front lawn monument) but hopefully i can tidy it up a little... probably will just get written off anyway, but its all good, i have spares. And other shells.

The setup of the car so faris very basic, and i hope to improve upon it greatly, so please dont judge it to harshly how it is now :P Pretty much all of my money goes into the business and very little is left for the car, but hopefully we will all start to see some improvements soon!

Anyway, thanks for your time, ill include some pictures into this post soon to shock and amaze you all (HA!!) :P

Kind regards,

Justin.

Edit- Some pictures as promised...

[attachment=17269:stock_t18.jpg]
^ When it was stock (basically).

[attachment=17270:Picture005_1.jpg]
^When Brendo owned it.

[attachment=17271:arteo2.jpg]
^ In my hands lol. Its probably look a little bit worse at the moment, because im doing a bit of body work and am halfway through putting a new engine in, but its getting there. When it gets back onto the road it will look a lot better, have the bolt ons moulded into the rear guards to get rid of the fucked rear quarter... bit of rust fixed, new front guards etc.

WITH THANKS TO:
- Aaron, my best friend, business partner and fellow spanner spinner its true that he has helped build this car and i am very grateful.
- David Gilson, good mate, good parts, good advice.
- Sam, for listening to my rambling ideas.
- Kyouteki, for the cost price parts :lol:.
- Heath, for all of your help already given and to come, cant wait for my roll cage!
- Chris, for all of your advice and help. I am the spare king though :P

If i have forgotten anyone i apologise, ill add to the list as the car gets built lol :D

deleta
5th September 2007, 10:23 AM
mmm this thing sounds sick, but yah id have to agree with u on the shocks kyb excel gs are good but the agx's are betta, but then agian im shure there are other things out there.... sounds like i kool car i shall have to come see it one day.

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 10:35 AM
Yeah man as i said, your welcome to have a steer!

Dunno about cool lol.... wait until i get pics up. Its the sort of thing that makes children (and myself on occasions) cry!

I wont be using KYB branded shocks at all.... looking into bilsteins or something similar.... maybe TRD's but yeah, i really want something with a bit more quality.

deleta
5th September 2007, 10:40 AM
mmmmmm bilstenins are sick, but that might be a lil pricy im thinkin

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 10:46 AM
Its all good, only money. I should be able to hunt down some nice shocks through the business anyway. Its not what you know...

deleta
5th September 2007, 10:47 AM
hahah sweet well she will be set up sick then

obey wan boenny
5th September 2007, 10:48 AM
excellent, I can't wait to be shocked and amazed! :lol:

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 10:49 AM
When i say shocked and amazed i mean more disgusted and dissapointed :lol:

deleta
5th September 2007, 10:50 AM
hahaha nah its will be a hell sick pig

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 10:51 AM
It doesnt matter how much you flatter me Callum, you still wont get cheaper prices :P

Im trying to find some pics dammit lol!

deleta
5th September 2007, 10:55 AM
ohhh but cant i keep trying lol cmon then lest see some pix

ae71
5th September 2007, 12:09 PM
i would like to add that i do a minmum of half the work on this car (where is my rep yo..?) + hours on that shit box sprinter, fark what a waist of my life on hashi roooku...

oh and your rosta pipe is 2"im faily sure

justin actually doing some work or did he drop is dounut... :P
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/154064.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

new banger going in along with that head jurking box snapping clucth suplyed by our friends at madhouse

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/154065.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

MountainRunner
5th September 2007, 12:16 PM
ahaha wat a pig man good work (y)

ae71
5th September 2007, 12:51 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/154066.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

dr1ft-pig
5th September 2007, 12:57 PM
beast, cant wait till u clean her up a bit should look heaps good

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 12:58 PM
Top post updated with thanks to keep you whinging bitches happy :P

Thanks for the pics Azzzzzzzaaaahhhhhhhhh.

Please note the incredible mintness of my spray job behind the master cylinder, hahahaha!

thanks dr1ft-pig, i wasnt expecting to get so many nice replies :P As i have said in my top post, tidying it up is definately high up on the list or priorities.

mike86
5th September 2007, 01:05 PM
thank god for somthing that isnt being built for drift. i like going sidways as much as the next guy but its nice to see somthing diffrent. looks good mang :2thumbs:

us_ae86
5th September 2007, 01:06 PM
What a piece of crap. I like it. :)

obey wan boenny
5th September 2007, 01:08 PM
I like! this thing is an absolute piiiig..and I love it. ^_^

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 01:18 PM
This car is being built 100% for hills and in particular grip. This will be reflected in its setup...

It will see the track occasionally but very rarely, most of its driving will be on the street.

It will get slid sometimes....when its wet but i get bored of drifting pretty quickly... i have a quick crack and im happy, whereas i can drive for hours in the hills trying to nail each corner in succession and im just fascinated with it. Just a personal thing.

Next things im really having to look at are Brakes and more Suspension. Im currently getting my sigma's reco'd, so i think cambertops are the next mod once its running. But after or during that i would really like to look into building up a better brake setup. Im thinking of using a jdm caliper on a ae86 strut, with aftermarket pads and rotors. I will of course have to buy new springs, but that is fine as i would like to go slightly softer in the front anyway i think. Im not really 100% set on the jdm caliper idea, as i dont really want to have to switch to a different kind of brake setup later. I dont mind ading more things like better rotors or braided lines etc, but i really need something that stops well but more importantly, doesnt fade easily. Im not going after ultimate power, more ultimate reliablity and enjoyment in this department.

Opinions? I can get the jdm setup very cheap as i have access to all of the parts through the business, so yeah.

deleta
5th September 2007, 02:54 PM
hahah thats sick we should have a pig spec comp, lol u should get some wheels to fill those guards they would be like be perfect for my car, and that like is sick lol its like massive

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 02:58 PM
Its...not...pig....spec. Its just a shitter lol, im trying to clean it up.

Im hoping with sigmas and 14x8 ssr's the front will be filled, ill put my 25mm spacers on the rear to fill the bolt ons.

ae71
5th September 2007, 03:00 PM
sigmas + spacers + -5 wheels whould fill them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lytbho-fQPU

deleta
5th September 2007, 03:02 PM
hahah sick vid, yah that will fill the guads

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 03:14 PM
Ahahahahahahahahaha sif you didnt put a slig vid in there!

Nice work azza, sponsered was spelt wrong but yeah, good work dude lol. Initial D track is mint hahahaha.

Best times of my life have been in the hills i swear. And no, im not a virgin :P

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 03:18 PM
Yeah, i know, hence why i would prefer the bilsteins man.

Cmon guys i need some opinions on the brake setup aye...

ae71
5th September 2007, 03:25 PM
oh well cant ahve everything you way :P

so going to get this running this weekend and valve the shit out of it.... heheh, more thashing awaits

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 03:26 PM
If she runs this weekend hillsy will be on like donkey kong.

Rust and bog hanging out and all :P

browneye
5th September 2007, 03:41 PM
Hey fella...

Loving that firewall...put some wax on it and it'll be easier to clean up when this motor has a near fatal heamorrage(sp).. :P :P

Can't wait to see those flares...

I'll soon have a brand new air compressor and spray gun...you can use it when it turns up...matt black paint only!!!

Regards

Scott Brown

ps...my cows will in the front paddocks this weekend...try not to scare the calf out of them as you go by!!!

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 03:54 PM
No nugget scott? :P Wax doesnt sound like a bad idea lol.... what do you use? Just surfboard wax?

I REALLY want to shoot a pushrod out of this one when it gets tired. er. Its ok, i have another spare...

I cant wait to fix up the fucked rear guard man. Gonna make it look so much better aye.

Ill happily accept the use of the compressor! Matt black my ass. Rank rank rank. I will respray it beige later down the track ;)

Lol, are your cows scared of fire? Only kidding man, aaron is the one who skids in your driveway, not me!

browneye
5th September 2007, 05:59 PM
Just use turtle wax...

My girls are scared of fire yes...espesially when emitted from an exhuast at a million miles an hour.........

As for Aaron...he's horrified by the concealed remover of sumps :P

Regards

Scott Brown

ps.. drop in when it's going...dam is dry enough again....good luck with it...love the work of you Kyouteki fellas...

Gilly
5th September 2007, 06:06 PM
wak video boys :lol:

i say use the JDM setup

if it doesn't fulfill your needs sell it through Kyouteki :P

i found JDM to be similar stopping power to ADM just heaps less resistant to fade.

not as good as everyones says/thinks IMO

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 06:12 PM
Ah brilliant thanks for that advice Gilly... really helpful man... i can get brand new calipers and everything really cheap for the conversion, i just dont want to waste money/time on a setup that wont fulfill my needs. Remember that i have to buy 86 struts AND new springs before i can even think about running the brake setup so yeah. Once again i can get this stuff cheap, but i would prefer to avoid it if i can.

What other options do i have? I still want to run a 14" wheel. And converting to silvia stuff is not a option.

I promise i'll be well behaved on the farm Scotly :P Your place will be one of the first places i go once its running well enough for a decent trip!

Gilly
5th September 2007, 06:15 PM
my only other recommendation would have been the silvia front end :P

Javal
5th September 2007, 06:17 PM
Lost interest half way through your vid, and started watching the TE72 hardtop with 4TGTE vids :D

E7
5th September 2007, 07:00 PM
nice flare work on the front :D

biggo
5th September 2007, 07:11 PM
bilstien are good, i have them and even the entry level shock (front) is superb! altho you will have to play with spring rate to get them to your liking.

as for brakes, i have keto ones on the snotter and theyre absolutly great. rebuild and spend $200 on pads and your set.

or get adm ones and do the same, much less fade that way. i recomend taking the dust cover out if your a hillsy person.

nice car too, should look good once you have it to your liking and paint thos guards

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 08:20 PM
Gilly, i am disgusted. Silvia is wakk :P. Though the brakes would be oh so nice...

T18, the flaring job is terrible lol. Thanks though. I have some spare front guards so i will be redoing the guards once i have my sigma's in. Thankyou for the kind comment though :)

C1Atlasuglymotherfuckermyman, send me a price man... remember how good i am to you though lol...

Biggo, I really dont know what i will do in regards to shocks. Im thinking i might just grab some new TRD short stroke adjustables... I will have a look at pricing etc and try to get a bit of a better idea. Thank you very, very much for your insight however, it is exactly what i need! So what shocks do you run? Just the entry level ones?

Also i have put new pads into the t18 callipers, high temp ones, and they are still junk... If i replaced the rotors and resealed the callipers they might be ok, but i would prefer to do all of this freshening up work on a better base in the first place, in order to achieve a better end result...

That dust guard idea is a good one though. I assume this is to achieve better cooling of the rotor/pad/calliper?

Hopefully it all comes together at the end of the day... we will see.

Thankyou all very much for your opinions and input, it is appreciated muchly :)

rthy
5th September 2007, 09:05 PM
Justin heres what I recomend:

- T-18 camber tops
- XT-130 lower control arms
- XT-130 shortened struts
- MX62 calipers
- MA-61 disks
- AGX ST185 or ST-205 dampners

- stock any roll bars
- complete bush kit except for the rear upper trailing arm
- the front lowered 10mm more than the back

rear:

- 3.5 link setup
- lowered rear lower pivot points

thats all i can think of right now

what thickness are you bolt on spacers at the front?

Bustin_86
5th September 2007, 09:23 PM
This is what i need!

Thankyou very much for your suggestions there Sam.... they will certainly be taken into account... i have to talk to you further tomorrow night about those brakes when im not so cloudy.

My front bolt on spacers are 25mm thick. I am also hoping to get 14x8 negative offset rims as well soonish. Thanks for your help Sam.

RobertoX
6th September 2007, 01:16 AM
bustin hit me on msn

ae71
6th September 2007, 10:03 AM
BAM gottcha :P

we will get it running this weekend ;)

rthy
6th September 2007, 10:44 AM
justin any chance of getting it down to a weighbridge for us?

If you need some custom adjustable rear linkages or panhard just let us know ok?

Its good to see someone finally building a car for grip like myself. I should get my car and scooter down there with the ferry

ke70dave
6th September 2007, 10:53 AM
hey man loovin the T18, although it looked a lot nicer in the first pic, before you attacked those guards:P

will look good though when get some yellow paint on them

ill put my vote in for S13 stuff over JDM stuff, the brakes are amazing on the lil ke70

keep the pretty pics coming!

-David

Bustin_86
6th September 2007, 11:13 AM
Sam:

Yep, as soon as it is running Sam i will get it weighed for you.

Yes, i will certainly be looking at getting a 4 link rear end Sam! I was planning on buying one, what can you do for me though? :D

Grip is indeed the best! I do enjoy a sneaky slide in the wet though. As i have always said Sam, your more than welcome to bunk at my place in return for a drive of the 86 :P Ill leave the scooter steering to you! I have to much going for me at the moment, and no life insurance policy!

KE70Dave:

Thanks for your kind words mate. I am really surprised at how many kind comments i have received, i was expecting to get insulted a lot more :P I know its pretty rough at the moment but it is starting to get there, hopefully i will get the rear quarter rust repairs into primer tonight, if i do i will post some pics.

I also have some new front guards for it, which i will reflare once i get my Sigma's in. Then i will respray them beige (not yellow you silly man!)... probably have to do the rear quarters as well soon enough seeing as i am moulding the bolt ons in and am fixing the rust along the top of the quarters. So it will see a bit of dodgy painting in the near future.

I refuse to go with Silvia setup, every car i have been in that has this setup has handled woefully, but they certainly do stop well! I think it is a good conversion for drift vehicles, but not applicable for my build.

Everyone (:lol:):

Im pretty sure i will be going with JDM brakes now, i have made a short list below as to what i will need. Please feel free to continue to input your opinions, they are appreciated and needed :)

- Sprinter struts
- JDM calipers
- RB74 pads
- Vented (and hopefully slotted) rotors
- 6kg springs (I will reuse my excel-g's)

Thankyou all for your opinions and posts.

Justin.

breno
6th September 2007, 02:15 PM
this car sucksss!!!! :P

Bustin_86
6th September 2007, 02:18 PM
Its still faster than yours :P

Anyway, shut the fuck up, joo owe me money :lol:

On a completely unrelated note, i just got a new phone, very excited. Samsung Blackjack very very very mega ultra pimp. This will make my car faster because... umm... i can make more calls for the business.... and that will make me more money and ... ahhh yeah. Money is good. Phone is pimp. Thats your lesson for the day!

Bustin_86
6th September 2007, 02:45 PM
Hhahahahahaha... funny that, a pretty switched on mate of mine explained the uses to me last night on the phone...

Ah well if im a specs king, i suppose im a specs king :)

Konakid
6th September 2007, 03:53 PM
Corona struts are junk

Go 86 coilover with JDM brakes.

Bustin_86
6th September 2007, 04:08 PM
I think thats what i will do, minus the coilover bit.

biggo
6th September 2007, 07:42 PM
i concur

only get coilovers if you seriously need them. I doubt a well setup car will tho.

Bustin_86
6th September 2007, 08:28 PM
And the shitrustbox is far from well setup :P

ke70dave
6th September 2007, 09:52 PM
hahah sif it isnt yellow...

ok yer it might be slightly beige....

how do these T18's compare in weight to ke70/ae86, they would have to be pretty close to the same car, with different engine and gearbox's would they?

i reckon they look pretty neat, dont see many around, and certainly dont see many done up :2thumbs:

and i just google'd Samsung Blackjack, daym that think looks pretty cool. so many buttons, is it any quicker typing sms? i reckon all those buttons would drive me nuts:P

ae71
6th September 2007, 11:05 PM
they would be slightly heavyer than an 86, 3t-c are heavy motors, probaly 20+kg heavyer than a 4ac

Bustin_86
7th September 2007, 11:23 AM
KE70dave:

As Aaron said, they would be slightly heavier. Im hoping to get the car weighing under a tonne (which it will... at least) once i strip the interior a bit more and get some fibreglass panels on it. They are very similar to a ke70/ae71/ae86... a few difference but yeah. Basically the same.

Thanks for your kind words mate! I dont claim to have a very good t18 (jhs is something pretty special) but i hope that it will look ok and go ok when i progress a bit further. It will definately look a heap better once i get the bolt ons installed and fix the front guards... still have that "rough" look but it should be tidy-ish lol.

Yeah im stoked with the phone hey! Its a cross between a pda/mobile, so full internet access etc, im really happy with it. You lose a bit of time because the buttons are so small messaging, but you pick it up cos you dont have to mash them like you do a normal phone. Every key is a letter, just like a keyboard, and the secondary function is really well designed... very intuitive. Long story short, pimp phone and i love it lol :P

Ill update on the weekend with some pictures and hopefully some progress!

Hope you are all well.

Justin

rthy
7th September 2007, 12:02 PM
Corona struts are junk

Go 86 coilover with JDM brakes.[/b]

whats wrong with Corona struts?

I think JDM sucks, vented or not they are still a tiny 230mm and Justin doesnt exactly live in a flat area.

there is one perk though, you can still use a 13 inch spare wheel, I need a 14 for all sides of my car

Bustin_86
7th September 2007, 12:24 PM
Hmmmm... kind of considering T3 coilovers. I can get them extremely cheap. But i still need to run a brake setup... If i already had sprinter struts i wouldn't consider it, i would just go springs and shocks, but these already come with the adjustable camber tops and agx's and whatever spring rate i want so yes... opinions? Stock struts versus T3 gear?

Sam, what are the specs on the brake system that you have suggested? How many pistons in the calipers? What is the diameter of the rotors?

Running a 14 inch rim doesnt bother. I doubt my car will see 13's on it ever again.

Justin

Bustin_86
7th September 2007, 01:59 PM
Just bought some proper JDM style fender mirrors, win, wasnt to keen to put the dodgy supercheap shitters on there lol.

Thanks Johnny!

rthy
7th September 2007, 05:31 PM
256mm vented disk with a single piston caliper, albeit a masssive piston

Bustin_86
7th September 2007, 05:38 PM
Not anymore! Nah they are te71 style... probably a bit different to what you have Chris. They are only knock offs to, you probably have OG tripple OG-G-G ones!

Oh nice, thanks for the info there Sam.

Anybody have opinions on the T3 coilovers? They seem to be of pretty high quality. Eibach spring, AGX shocks im kind of thinking once i buy the shocks, new springs and struts its almost cheaper for me to just buy the coilovers... hmmmm.... I shall have to do a price comparison.

deleta
7th September 2007, 05:39 PM
coilover ftw

Bustin_86
7th September 2007, 05:42 PM
Not really that worried about having coilovers, as previously stated.... but if its like only a extra $100 or so and everything is put together etc, i might as well go with the t3 gear. It would be nice, but i wont pay hundreds and hundreds more for the privelege.

browneye
7th September 2007, 05:50 PM
Hey Justin..

Good luck this weekend...my car is determined to be the most dificult sonofabitchmotherfknslut...(end rant)

I will have 86 struts/brakes avail soonish..once my slut is going and registered...let me know if you want them, will trade for labour/expertise/patience!!

Reagrds

Scott Brown

Bustin_86
7th September 2007, 06:02 PM
Hopefully it runs this weekend man! If not i will still get lots done so yeah.

Either way i will be there for you not next weekend but the one after. We will get your bus running like a charm. Ill organise those parts that we talked about.

Oh nice man.... i think you owe me for all three of those! hahahaha! nah nah not even man... ill give you a bit of a bell tonight and discuss what you want for them etc... have to do some figures hey so i can figure out which way is the best. Either way ill give ya a shout tonight.

Konakid
7th September 2007, 07:03 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=399989)
Corona struts are junk

Go 86 coilover with JDM brakes.[/b]

whats wrong with Corona struts?

I think JDM sucks, vented or not they are still a tiny 230mm and Justin doesnt exactly live in a flat area.

there is one perk though, you can still use a 13 inch spare wheel, I need a 14 for all sides of my car
[/b]

Corona struts are very heavy especially when they are part of the unsprung weight of the car. No good.

truenosedan on these forums used ADM sprinter calipers, Race brakes pads, RDA solid rotors, braided lines and average fluid on his ae71 turbo. After 5 flat out laps around Mallala the brakes werent showing anysign of fading....the braking could only be better with vented rotors and 2 piston caliper.

If you need better brakes than a fully equiped JDM setup then there is something wrong with your driving stlye or your car has too much engine. Meh, my reasoning.

rthy
7th September 2007, 07:37 PM
Well I have a 20v with MA61 front brakes and a mix of bits at the back with proper brake distrobution unlike a factory car and I had a tiny bit of spongyness in my peddle the other day I found it really upsetting. I went hard on the brakes at 200 to 20km/h and it felt a bit different. Now I am not up myself I just expected more thats all. I will run better fluid and i have some DBA slotted rotors going in soon which should help.

RobertoX
7th September 2007, 08:50 PM
JUSTIN: call me when you get the chance

Bustin_86
8th September 2007, 12:01 PM
Yeah sure man... ill ring ya later your probably not awake yet.

So today is the day, gonna get a bit of work done once i get off the fuckin computer, will take lots of pics for you all.

Justin

Bustin_86
9th September 2007, 08:17 PM
Hey all,

Got a bit of shit done this weekend. Did a bit more work on the motor, looked like we were actually going to get it running until i found that the water pump is fucked. Typical Tasmania, i have to order one in so i will do that on monday. HOPEFULLY the fucking thing will run next weekend... pretty much everything is done, everything is bolted in all wired up , clutch and brakes need bleeding and the water pump needs to be put in and it will be ready for some hills!

Also got the body work primed, just got to snag some sik-a-flex from dads work so i can put the strips etc back on.

Also, i used a different brand of primer this weekend, i usually use a beige-y primer filler, this time i bought some Spies & Heckler Primer filler, its the typical beige and is VERY thick in comparison... can mix it with a lot more thinners and get more bang for your buck. I definitely recommend this primer! It is also a lot better quality... bloody good stuff.

Enough talking, here are some pics of the weekends events.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/154407.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

^^^ Thats Aaron being eaten by the t18 as he bolts up the taily...

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/154408.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

^^^ Here you can see the bog work and masking job... pretty rank stuff lol. There was a fair bit of rust along this rear quarter so i cut it out and welded in new pieces. Then bogged over it, and hit with some primer which you will see in the next couple of pics. The PROPER way to fix rust.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/154409.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

^^^ Same angle of previous picture, with primer.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/1946/pic0010ls3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

^^^ Another shot, pre primer. Note that there is some surface rust in those pics, which i rubbed back before i primed... very important to do or the rust will just spread and come through again shortly.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/154411.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

^^^ There is the same angle, but in primer.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your time guys, hopefully i will have some more exciting updates next weekend!

Justin

P.S, big ups to my main man Aaron the Red Baron for kicking about and helping me out all weekend. Kyouteki's Chief spanner spinner!

browneye
9th September 2007, 08:47 PM
Good work fellas...looking good..love that rust repair job...

I'm guessing the bolt ons go on next :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

It seems I'm not the only one with dramas...I'm betting you can't wait to get it going now...

Why is it that we only see azza'a sexy white pins and not yours?? :P :P

keep it up....

Regards

scott Brown

ps...why does that kyouteki sticker seems so small against the others...full body sticker please!!!

E7
9th September 2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah man rust fixing came up good! Needs some paint though, so sick of primer lol! I was going to give it a quick flick of beige but figured that since I'm moulding the bolt ons in i will have to paint the whole guard so i should just wait.

Bolt ons will go on soon ;) Just wanna get the old banger running first.

Dont worry Scotty my boy, we will fix your problems soon ;) Rub a bit of nugget on it, then we will chuck a headgasket in, will run a dream.

Cos I'm the one taking the photo's! Never picked you for a leg man Scott :P

Ill bring you some big kyouteki stickers when we fix that motor mate! SMS me with a price on those struts aye.

E7
9th September 2007, 09:07 PM
lol on the rear guard job

deleta
9th September 2007, 10:17 PM
looking good man, but wow your guards look like a slopy tissue lol

breno
9th September 2007, 11:49 PM
good to see progress dude.
cant wait to hear storys about this thing rippin' the nissan boys in the hills :P

Bustin_86
10th September 2007, 10:11 AM
Yeah, previous owner got smacked in the rear quarter, hence the somewhat disastrous guard :P. All good though, i have some bolt ons which will be moulded in, will look fat, and a lot more even, once i get it done ;)

Heeeeyyyy ritz. Yeah man hopefully we will have more progress next weekend.... such as the fucking thing running! Hopefully i will be up in the hills by a fortnight anyway. Thats about all it will be man... stories :P All that turbo tyre shredding powahhh, i just cant keep up. But everynow and then you own some cocky cunt and its all worth it :lol:, i just have fun driving! Fuck i hate most nissan drivers though.

To quote some wakk silvia homeboy from the last hills meet:

Nah man, i cant slide, im only running low boost... only 180 (kw) at the rear... needs more boost[/b]

Turbo queers.......

ae71
10th September 2007, 02:53 PM
ZING

Bustin_86
10th September 2007, 03:26 PM
MAX

RobertoX
10th September 2007, 04:23 PM
MAX BITE

Bustin_86
11th September 2007, 10:26 AM
Parts update!

C1 Industrial Solutions has supplied me with a 32/36 carb, so it should be running this weekend!

RobertoX
11th September 2007, 11:40 AM
if the rain hasnt seized the butterfly

Bustin_86
11th September 2007, 11:46 AM
Wakk, c1 said it was in the work shop? Thats the problem with my stock carby, seized up. Can you check for us lawsoooon?

ae71
11th September 2007, 12:06 PM
cant wait to peeel off tyres again in this thing...

such a fun car to drive even with steering box. oh i think its just your steering box thats loose as man, this one in that t-18 i brought is alot tighter....

Bustin_86
11th September 2007, 12:30 PM
We brought you fool.

Bags the steering box as well then :P

Bustin_86
11th September 2007, 04:00 PM
Oh ok, so the webber will be gooood?

Bustin_86
11th September 2007, 04:22 PM
Sick man, thanks again

ae71
11th September 2007, 10:45 PM
have you ordered a water pump yet?

Bustin_86
12th September 2007, 09:53 AM
No not yet, gotta pick up those sigma's today so i will do it then.

ashie
12th September 2007, 10:45 AM
cant wait till you take me for a spin in this thing, we droped the 3t in my mates ta23 cause his 2tg was being queer, allot more torque than the old 2tg, but the secondary's aren't opening up so its got no top end, still good for 3rd gear chirps with 205's :D

you will have to let me know how the clutch goes because i want one with allot of bite.

Bustin_86
12th September 2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah man, she should be back on the road in a fortnight or so... all going well... so i will take you out for a spin in a month or so. Take ya out to golden or some shit.

Yeah old 3tc's go alright, for a junk motor i suppose, I dunno about chirping third though! I suppose you did have the big twin carbys though ;) You will have to come and grab that 3tc you have kicking about at my place soon!

Yup, ill tell you how i go with the clutch, i am a bit afraid it is going to have to much bite, might go through a few gearboxes, but she is all good.

ashie
12th September 2007, 11:02 AM
looks like i might have to take you for a spin next time your up here and show you 3rd gear chirps :P

Bustin_86
12th September 2007, 11:29 AM
Fuck that, im not sitting in the passenger seat of anything your driving :P

ashie
12th September 2007, 11:52 AM
just quietly. i really don't blame you :lol:

ae71
12th September 2007, 02:39 PM
heheh

Bustin_86
21st September 2007, 04:12 PM
Best mod so far: Licence. Passed the test today, i will get it on the 2nd of October :D Now just gotta get this bitch running...

deleta
22nd September 2007, 01:51 AM
CONGRATS DUDE :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: now u can drive my car

ae71
22nd September 2007, 12:41 PM
you think licence or not will stop him??

Bustin_86
22nd September 2007, 01:06 PM
Hahahahahah

Probably lose my licence in your car Cally

ae71
22nd September 2007, 01:37 PM
pppffff, t-18 is more than fast enough to loose your licence in

browneye
22nd September 2007, 02:34 PM
Hey Justin..

Good work on the licence.. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I'm guessing you're working on your car today...good luck with it...

Once its going bring it out to make sweet love to Aaron's T18 of death...(Smells like it at least..)...baby te72's all the way.. :lol:

Regards

Scott Brown

Bustin_86
22nd September 2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks scott!

Aaron's? Try kyouteki's! And i have bag'sed half of the parts :P

ae71
22nd September 2007, 06:07 PM
justin wont let us have nay fun eh scott :(

browneye
22nd September 2007, 06:21 PM
Justin hasn'gt seen the videos yet... :rolleyes:

Or maybe he shouldn't...nearly rolled it this afternoon :blink: :blink:

Got that love machine going??

Bustin_86
22nd September 2007, 07:43 PM
Got the clutch all hooked up etc. Gonna have a look at the wiring tomorrow.

Scott. You fuckhead. Dont valve the motor... i need it!

ae71
23rd September 2007, 12:44 PM
:blink:

oh the weeeebbbbaahhhhh

hopfully it goes well, dose it have the choke setup on it?

Kyouteki helps ATLAS toooo.......

RobertoX
23rd September 2007, 07:30 PM
lozenger

Bustin_86
23rd September 2007, 08:22 PM
you want something to suck on david?

RobertoX
23rd September 2007, 09:06 PM
speaking of that, let me tell you something about 32/36 on 3ts

ae71
23rd September 2007, 10:20 PM
well if you dont want that setup chris im sure they it would go well in justins car :P

webah it boost worth justin... i have an idea...

ashie
23rd September 2007, 10:54 PM
cant wait till you get her going justin, i want to know what the clutch is like, also congratulations on getting your P's, i have like 4 months to go and im half way there

ae71
24th September 2007, 02:15 PM
yeah nice chris, thats a fair bit off what you where originally asking

just for the benifit of me whats the turbo setup come with? turbo (what sort), piping, cooler?? justin has the weber and sealed box.

Bustin_86
24th September 2007, 02:49 PM
Having some ideas about a nos setup. Just need to look into some prices for tank refills to figure out if it is viable or not.

Basically what i (and aaron!) are thinking about is having a small tank of nos setup with a arming switch, and some sort of solenoid on the accelerator. So basically the nos will only turn on once the secondary on carby is activated (measured by pedal position), the secondary will be tuned rich to cope with the nitrous injection, and should provide me with a bit more power.

I was thinking of running a 25 hp shot, shooting straight into the carby. The pros of this would be a decent whack of power when i want it, but the downside would be that if i was giving it a hold without the nos armed fuel economy would be shit... but if im just operating with the primary it should have the same economy and charachteristics as a normal 3tc lol.

So yeah, the only issues i have to sort out really is the cost on refilling the bottle as the actual delivery system would be pretty damn cheap, and where i could hide the bottle.

Also please note that YES i do understand that this is not legal nor particularly safe, and i would only fit the bottle if i was going to the track or other events that required some type of speed. Otherwise it would be left out of the car for "normal" street driving.

Any opinions?

ae71
24th September 2007, 03:46 PM
with a tiny jets, (aiming at 25hp) and the larger secondard fuel jets (just going off what mine is like) they should be fairly close.

a bottel will last a fair while, it isnt that expensive i belive and its available to be refilled in launceston from memeroy because some of the local drag racers use its (V8 and bikes). you can buy a refill station if you get fairly serious or just buy a spare bottel.

kewagon
24th September 2007, 03:59 PM
check out the article they did in drift battle on it for there r31, thats fuel injected but atleast it might give ya a bit of an idea of how they did it, woudl be a pretty intresting set up though, would be liek a turbo car hitting boost i spose, like at a certian point you get loads of power,

we gunna see any new pics of the beast?

Bustin_86
24th September 2007, 04:05 PM
Yeah thats what i was thinking azza... but samq was saying it is mad expensive. Ah well i suppose we will just have to look into it!

Yeah it would be a big whack of power but its not like i would be breaking dynos or anything... would probably have like 60 hp with nos. Would be funny for skids :P

Ill chuck some pics up when i get something new, or when the car runs lol!

HOPEFULLY it will run this weekend. Just need to sort out the water pump and the starter motor, and hopefully it will be all sweet. Probably run into a million other problems anyway...

Will update when i have more news, if anyone else has any opinions on the nos feel free to post :)

Anybody who quotes fast and the furious will be banned,

Much love,

Justin

ae71
24th September 2007, 04:06 PM
yeah seen that. kind of simerla to that i surpose

granny shifting not dobble clutching like you should... your lucky that hunddred shot of naws didn blow the weld on the intake

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/155401.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

lewa
24th September 2007, 06:06 PM
cant wait till you get her going justin, i want to know what the clutch is like, also congratulations on getting your P's, i have like 4 months to go and im half way there[/b]
casey, like i told you, we cannot get our L's till we are 16 and 6months

when you get this going, and you have your license you'll have to come pick me up from school, and we'll go see how she (the t18) likes the duck reach run? and see if you can beat sean's time!

ooh and on another note, "i need nos, and harry, i need it by tonight"

ae71
24th September 2007, 09:49 PM
what about the snake track, that really tight one up threw the houses....?

thats fun, lots of single spinning action would be death in the dry though.

lewa
24th September 2007, 09:52 PM
duck reach is the bomb shiggidy, sean can do it in 50seconds flat(i think) from memory anyways, lots of fun, been through with nick in the blue celica wen it was 2tg, but only 3cyl :P soo be intrested to see what a car that actually has suspension can do!

ae71
24th September 2007, 10:09 PM
hahah, thats a bit death.. dont know why but i dont feel comfotable driving real hard on that road, maybe its because you cant see around corners and its only 1 bumpy lane...

lewa
24th September 2007, 10:15 PM
meh, just get to the start, wait 1-2min, that way you SHOULD (99%) have a clear run! people behinde you might get pissed off, but meh, you will run away from them once u actually get going!

ashie
24th September 2007, 10:31 PM
nick clipped a guide post last night in the magna on there, said it was sliding too :P

JoshKE
25th September 2007, 12:02 AM
duck reach is the bomb shiggidy, sean can do it in 50seconds flat(i think) from memory anyways, lots of fun, been through with nick in the blue celica wen it was 2tg, but only 3cyl :P soo be intrested to see what a car that actually has suspension can do![/b]

Dangerous doing silly shit on that road.

Lots of old people walk their dogs/cats/camels up there... not to mention the surrounding houses have angry residents that dislike "tooogaaay racezorz".

Bustin_86
25th September 2007, 09:45 AM
Yeah keep hills runs out of town, that road is just bad news. Im having a birthday bash in a fortnight or so up in the hills, pm if your keeeeeen for location. Though im sure you know it :P

Bustin_86
26th September 2007, 01:26 PM
Picked up today:
- Reco'd (better than new!) Sigma arms
- Water pump

I have on the way:
- 32/36 Webber
- Kei office height adjustable slut tops
- 15x7.5 -40 (or something similarly crazy) SSR Mesh rims, aka flippedrimsofdeath
- Freshly reco'd custom twin core Ke70 radiator

I need:
- Crank/alternator belt
- Starter motor
- Ra40 tie end rods
- Bleeding nipple for passenger side front brake
- Time

Hopefully it will be back on the road soon! Ill throw some pics up in a couple of days. With a touch of luck, it will run this weekend but i doubt it. Birthday (read, license!) is next week, so i have to get it running soon hahahaha! Im hoping for a fortnight or so and it will be rotating wheels. Hopefully i dont find to many new problems.

ae71
26th September 2007, 03:14 PM
ke70 radiators are twin core std, this one is tripple core brovah...

maybe you should buy sone new nipples (lol) they arnt much and save yourounding old ones trying to open them up...

Bustin_86
26th September 2007, 04:06 PM
Lol, hook me up with those ones you said that you have. Fuck paying for shit.

deleta
26th September 2007, 04:08 PM
lol u sound as tight assed as me lol

ae71
26th September 2007, 04:12 PM
yeah may not have one mangler

yeha tight as a fish's arse hole

rthy
27th September 2007, 02:32 PM
ok I worked it out, at the price I can get nitrous for it would cost this: (assuming I worked it out right)

$300 to refill a 20 pound bottle

and it would last 13min (790 seconds)

so $1.50 for every 4 seconds (OUCH!!) and thats just a 25hp hit, some drag racers have a 150hp hit

my scooter on the other hand should be able to go for 2 1/2 minutes with a 4hp hit that costs $8.50 a refill, hehehehe

Bustin_86
27th September 2007, 02:39 PM
If the figures are as high as you have said Sam, no way known will i go with NOS. I would rather buy a carby setup...

I will look into it.

Having said that, Dad is pushing me to put a 4age in. I think i might start looking at that again... I really just want to get it running but yeah, maybe i should just get a 4age rather than fucking around with the 3tc. I have another two motors spare, so i should have enough to keep me going (blowing up motors wise) until i can afford the 4age.

ae71
27th September 2007, 07:12 PM
you can have both....

side drafts and a nitrous kit..

i didn't think it was that much?

i thought that the drift batty r31 used 1 bottle over a day of drifting with a bigger shot?

lewa
27th September 2007, 09:00 PM
JUSTIN JUSTIN! 13b or 20b peripheral port with ITB's =D pucking do it!

ae71
28th September 2007, 01:50 PM
20b=death

soooo fast

13b bridge port with restrictors in the inlet and a clogged up air filter (in the hope of reducing power).

rthy
28th September 2007, 03:01 PM
13 min of nitrous time can last a day because its only used in small hits at a time. Depends on how you like it.

Bustin_86
28th September 2007, 03:09 PM
LOL at Sam, "All or nothing!"

Got the water pump and radiator in last night.

Having issues with the starter.

I hit the key, and the starter clicks, its almost like it has a flat battery but the battery is fine. I have also tried using jumperleads off of the old mans discovery, and still no result. If you put your hand on the starter you can feel it trying to engage but yeah, nothing.

Over the weekend im going to take it out and clean the contacts and test the starter, but i will just have to see how i go, does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong with it?

rthy
28th September 2007, 04:04 PM
sounds like the solenoid to me, they can be taken off relatively easly.

Bustin_86
28th September 2007, 04:07 PM
Ohhh i see, can you expand on that a little bit for me Sam?

ae71
28th September 2007, 07:25 PM
the solenoid is the part that engages the cog to the fly wheel right?

isn't that the clicking sound that you here?

kewagon
28th September 2007, 10:06 PM
have you got the little wire hooked on? liek the tiny little single wire, make sure its on properly and that, this will elt it click but wont turn over

rthy
29th September 2007, 10:50 AM
the solenoid is the thing that hangs off the side of the starter motor, how a starter motor works in stock form is that you give it power from your ignition switch to the solenoid and it pulls in engaging the 2 contacts inside which transfer the main power on for the starter. If the contacts are stuffed it cant give the juice you need to the startermotor main motor.

rthy
29th September 2007, 11:33 AM
now that I think about it it just sounds like a classic case of the contacts wearing off on your ignition key switch, common in every singe 80s car. To fix it you need a relay upgrade. Heres how I did mine:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/148433.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/148434.jpg

mine was working fine but I knew it was only a matter of time.

heres how it works:

second side of relay coil - ground (just the bolt that goes into the block)
triggor side of relay coil - wire that originally went from the body loom to the starter motor solenoid
contacts side 1 - main possitive terminal form battery
contacts side 2 - where the original body loom wire went on the back of the solenoid

I can get a relay later and give you proper pin numbers

ae71
29th September 2007, 02:25 PM
it was fine before the motor came out....

i belive he is going to test it..

rthy
29th September 2007, 02:28 PM
the easy way to test is is you put the ignition on and put it in neutral, then get a peice of wire and short between the main power feed and the solenoid power. If it doesnt fire up then a relay wont help

Bustin_86
1st October 2007, 11:30 AM
Ok, did a bit more work this weekend, i put a new (i saw it working on a motor hours previous to installation) starter into the t18. No effect, still just clicks and wont turn over, exactly the same problem as my old starter.

Then i did as SamQ suggested above, and bridged the gap from the solenoid to the starter motor. Still no effect, just clicks and wont turn the motor over.

Getting pretty frustrated with this. I now have pretty much everything bolts up and put together, i just need to get it to turn over and im pretty confident it should run!

All that is left to do is put the speedo cable in and get some new belts for the motor. And fix this bloody starter problem.

Can anyone help me? Im getting pretty close to just getting a auto electrician to come over...

rthy
1st October 2007, 11:41 AM
ok so it was fine when you had your old motor in? did you replace the earth cable? or did you damage the main feed cable from the battery? you can also do a volt drop test.

Dont call an auto sparky yet, I have heaps of things for you to try first. I am supposed to be an electrican afterall.

Bustin_86
1st October 2007, 12:06 PM
Yes the old one was fine with my old motor. I now have the new starter in, it was running on a car the same day that i put it into my car. One of my spare t18s.

I havent replaced the earth cable, its the same one as i had before.

I dont think i damaged the main battery cable, i was very careful when i put it in, but having said that all of the insulation has degraded pretty badly, so i wouldn't discount that possibility.

How can i measure the voltage drop Sam? Just with a multimeter?

Thanks again dude. Really appreciate the help.

rthy
3rd October 2007, 08:48 AM
sorry havent been near a pc, you wont be able to do a volt drop test unless you have an analouge meter. I with I could just directly have a look at the thing then I could tell, how about you showing me a pic of what you have.

Bustin_86
3rd October 2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks Sam, but Aaron (aka the magical electrical wizard of oz) managed to get it to turn over! Still wont run but i need a few new pieces like a distributor cap etc. But all the same, we are one step closer!

It ended up being a pretty simple problem, i just neglected to connect all of the grounding wires. Aaron figured it out, hooked them up, and it turned over merrily!

Thanks again for your help man, hopefully i will get it running sooooon. So sick of driving the 4kc ke70!

Brendo
3rd October 2007, 05:12 PM
whats wrong with 4k power... i will battle your 70 with my 55 next precipitation hehe

ae71
3rd October 2007, 06:38 PM
whats right with any k motor power????

justins 4k is tired as hell....

it also as some dodgy wiring too lol, brake lights and bark lights are all on the same circuit, so that means when the lights are on the brake lights are on and when you brake the parkers light up too.... lol the ke70 that is

Bustin_86
4th October 2007, 10:46 AM
I battled ya last night... kinda :lol:

How many people was on that round about!!!! Much fun hahaha. Team Dorifuto.

deleta
4th October 2007, 10:48 AM
lol TEAM kyouteki drift battle lol
good to here its commig along

ae71
4th October 2007, 03:18 PM
na that was in his daily stocko ke... lol

good thing i wasn't there I'm like real life Takumi.... i get scando into that roundy and drift it in third :P hahah

Bustin_86
4th October 2007, 03:29 PM
Then joo wakes up and your likkle night-pants are aawwwlll sticky :lol:

Only kidding bro.... ae71 does big dwifts... ke70 does big understeers...

Brendo
4th October 2007, 06:09 PM
haha that was funny as...like 8 of us on the roundabout....i come round then see this ke70 it just made me laugh haha

aaron... i havent seen u get sideways once...lol

ae71
4th October 2007, 06:32 PM
What about speedy when i had that blown head gasket and I let you have a run...?

Justin you where in the car when i did scando into the roundy, I'm not sure if you where also there when i was drifting it in 3rd... i was wondering why it wasn't revving... still 'fully drifting sideways'

Oh and kent, I don't know why i bother even helping you out when all you do is be a bastard...

rthy
5th October 2007, 09:21 AM
ah so it was a ground afterall! hehheh I told Aaron to check them, hehehhe

ae71
5th October 2007, 09:40 AM
yeah i had 1 earth to the motor, thought it would of had enough contact and earthing but it seems not.

at least i know what the problem is, easy to fix.

rthy
9th October 2007, 03:46 PM
good to hear, redid the following cables in oxygen free multistrand cable that I covered in loom tube with headshrunk ends, they look nice as:

+ Battery terminal fuse to alternator
+ Battery terminal to starter motor
- Battery terminal to body
engine block ground to car body

I still have planed later on to do two other big jobs, first up make a new fuse box for all my efi and aux gear. Second I want to not have a pile of leads all bolting up to the positive terminal. I heard what they do OEM is have one main cable come off the battery terminal, down out of view to a splice type lug where it splits into the seperate multiple cables for each item. This will require a bit of planning but I already have access to industrial hyraulic crimpers and I am pretty experiences in doing this so it will be ok.

Lasty Justin take that earth lead off, find out what size holes you have at each end and how long you would idealy want it, let me know and I will make you something awesome ok? free of charge and it will be mailed to you. By the way sorry for taking so long with the wheels, things havent been so good lately.

Bustin_86
9th October 2007, 03:49 PM
Hi Sam,

Yeah i can measure up the earth lead. Thanks so much, i really need a new one :) Ill let you know ASAP. Nothing is free, ill pay you for your time dude.

No probs on the wheels man, you are doing me the biggest favour ever :)

Justin

ae71
9th October 2007, 04:17 PM
sorry I couldn't meet you on Sunday Sam, didn't really have time so it turned out.

sounds good mate,

i made a temporary earth cable, it was not earthing enough for the starter. is one enough?

rthy
10th October 2007, 12:50 PM
one should be enough, are you using a decent size cable

ae71
10th October 2007, 01:09 PM
yes was using an earth cable and i made sure it has the best contact possible. I kind of had to join 2 together because I had 2 but they where missing ends to bolt them to the chassis/block, this was probaly where it was being let down. easy fixed problem though. isnt much really before its able to fire up.