PDA

View Full Version : electrical genius see here...

fantapants
11th April 2009, 02:11 PM
hey guys, just looking for someone with a good working knowledge of auto elecs to help me out. no work is required, just explaining a few things to me and working out or telling me what some wires that arent used are.

any help would be gratefully paid for in beer of choice :)

pm or answer here guys....

and go...

Simon-KE70
12th April 2009, 11:02 PM
pay for my ticket to bris and yeah i'll help no worries lol!

--Redwork--
12th April 2009, 11:10 PM
You need a question before we can give you an answer...

Or is this some old time mystic test of enlightenment..???

If I see no evil, does evil therefor not exist.??
Or is that my reality is what is evil and everyhting else is right.

fantapants
13th April 2009, 11:03 AM
there is no question.... well there is, but it basically revolves around what is this and how much trouble will i cause by getting rid of it :)

nah basically i dont know much about wiring, but i am tidying up while my engine is out. made a fair bit of headway, but just dont know about the way something is set up and just want someone to come and explain a few things to me :)im pretty sure it revolves around ignition, but yeah im kinda clueless once it goes past putting a stereo in :)

--Redwork--
13th April 2009, 12:28 PM
HAHA....

I HATE wiring.... i can do it but I'm no expert...
I'm sure their will be some one on here thats a guru..

Simon-KE70
13th April 2009, 12:38 PM
im no guru but i have done a lot of wiring jobs and im always learning every time lol.

anyway, you want to do a tidy up of the engine bay hey, generally if its the case of a plug and some wire that isnt hooked up to anything then you can get away with removing it and then taping the wires back onto the loom so they are covered. just make sure that there are no exposed wires or wires cant touch.

other then that im guessing you want to tidy up the coil pack, ignitor set up yes? only guessing here lol. but you can cut and lengthen wires if you want to move it and the loom wont allow you to, just make sure that wires are soldered and heat shrinked properly and you'll have no issues.

fantapants
13th April 2009, 07:26 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/3/9/546903.jpg

nah these are the questions. Two relays. One red wire goes to the fuel pump and it turns on with ignition. Both relays have a power source direct from the battery. The fuel pump relay is connected to the second relay. The second relay has a black and red wire going back to the loom. Sharing the connection of this black and red wire is the ign source fo the water temp guage and thermo fan

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/3/9/11600.jpg

Simon-KE70
13th April 2009, 08:41 PM
sounds like two seperate relays, both are hooked up to a common power supply and earth by the sounds, the common wire between the two sounds like the ign 12V + power supply when you have the ignition in the on position. I'll bet that this is pin 86 on the relays. Pin 85 will be the earth, pin 30 will be the 12V from battery and pin 87 will be the fuel pump (or thermo fan on other one)

fantapants
13th April 2009, 09:02 PM
thats awesome, but i dont know what any of it means :)

--Redwork--
13th April 2009, 09:19 PM
On the relay where the wire conect there are numbers.. Each PIN has its own number...
Usually on the side there is a diagram showing what pin number are constant and which ones switch on and off.

fantapants
13th April 2009, 09:31 PM
oh got ya :)

munki
14th April 2009, 12:46 AM
that looks like a makeshift circuit opening relay to me...

fantapants
14th April 2009, 08:16 AM
what would it be opening?

munki
14th April 2009, 08:24 PM
usually a COR will have 5 pins and act as two relays in one. Usually you will have:

starter signal/ecu power on signal
Fuel pump
wire to ecu on FC pin from memory Circuit open (Fuel) pin?
ground
direct fused power to batt

This is so if you smash your car your fuel pump switches off when the engine stalls. Otherwise the fuel pump would continue to pump fuel around your engine bay causing fire like problems...

This can be achieved (although less neatly) using a pair of std type relays. The other items connected may just be because it was easier to dump something onto the relay.

This may not be what you have exactly but you should have a COR setup for engineering and your safety.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

fantapants
16th April 2009, 09:58 PM
grouse... thanks mate!