PDA

View Full Version : AsleepAtTheWheel's MADHOUSE KE70

AsleepAtTheWheel
27th October 2007, 11:10 PM
Hey all,

After much procrastination and a fair bit of CBF'd on my behalf, plus Gilly's endless nagging (Dude, you need to get a member's ride up - I'll even help you), I've decided to get my act together and post up here. :P

My name's Andrew (or Ando as some refer to me - easy on the Heroes jokes), I'm one of the MADHOUSE proprietors and this is my little golden warrior. It's my daily and fun car most of the time, but I also have half share in a Silvertop 20V-engined Clubman with my dad which is the REAL touge car (grip, not drift). Maybe I'll put another member's ride thread up here one day, but I wouldn't hold your breath :lol:

I bought my little beauty around 2 years ago from a guy in Coorparoo for a great price, who had bought it off another dude 10 months prior. I think he may have been a regular on RollaClub or Toymods way back in the day so some of you might know it. It needed a bit of a tidy up when I got her - I'm pretty fastidious about the way I present my cars, I like everything to be as neat as possible, but often times I find myself short on time and just end up shortcutting something. Guess that's the problem when you've got to drive to work on Monday. :blink: One day I'll get the time to take it off the road for a good amount of time and do a full rebuild from the ground up...

So, enough blabbering and on to the car. Firstly a few pics so you know what I talking about (props to Hao (majic86) and SON57A for the pics). More to come incl. engine bay + interior pics when I get some time. :2thumbs:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/157462.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/157463.jpg

List of mods currently looks like this (from what I remember...):

1982 Toyota Corolla KE70

Engine:
Full AW11 4AGZE conversion with all the fruit
SC14 'charger from a 1GGZE running 9-10psi
Wolf 3D V4 with hand controller
Front-mount intercooler
Extractors
2 1/4" Overdiff exhaust with 2" tip :ph34r:
K&N filter
Splitfire plugs/Top Gun leads
Kill switch
1L surge tank (in boot)
VL turbo fuel pump
Battery box (in boot)

Driveline:
JDM T50
Brass-button clutch (no-idea what type)
Custom 2-piece tail-shaft
T-series diff
KAAZ 2-way LSD

Suspension:
Current Ghetto Setup:
Monroe GT shockies
King Springs Low
Full SuperPro Polyurethane bush kit
24mm (I think) adjustable rear swaybar
AJPS Strut Brace
On The Bench:
T3 Camber-tops
AE86 Custom coilover setup with Eibach 8kg/mm springs and KYB SR Special front inserts
Brakes TBA (but huge...)
TRD Green 8-way adj. rear shocks
6kg/mm Springs (to be obtained)
Rose-jointed LCA's
MADHOUSE Adj. rose-jointed 4-link rear
AE86 Steering Rack
AE86 P/S arms

Wheels:
15 x 8 -4 Performance Superlites with charcoal center all-round; wearing
195/45/R15 Federal SuperSport 595

Body:
Cut down plastic-spec bumpers
Ghetto MARKE70 Honda quad-light conversion
IPRA bolt-on flares
JDM GT Badges
MADHOUSE JDM lip (soon)
Massive hole in the roof that someone's filled with a non-opening sunroof that STILL leaks
RUST plus lots of sealant/silicone to stop the cancer spreading :P

Interior:
330mm Wheel (some Italian jobbie) with boss/spacer
MOMO shifter
Speco Oil Pressure, Oil Temp and Boost gauges in holder
OBX Daytona Bucket on custom rail
Fully-sick K&N Slip-on covers
Old-school Alpine CD headunit
Kenwood and Rockford Fosgate Amps
JBL Splits
Pov Radio-shack speakers on the parcel shelf in custom boxes
10" Sub in the boot for the fully hEkTiC DoOf!! (Seriously though - ICE is definately not my thing, but the last guy put it all in. At least I have decent tunes...)

Best thing about it - my girlfriend HATES it which tell's me that I'm on the right track :lol:

That's about all I got for now - I'll try and keep this updated as much as possible. WARNING: I have a heap of jobs including a half-finished PhD, so progess may not be as fast as you'd expect. I'll do my best though ;)

green_boy_91
27th October 2007, 11:16 PM
that i a fuking crazy as car man well done (y):)

Driftspec
27th October 2007, 11:18 PM
At last, the members ride is up! :)

Very nice car man, got a lot of attention (from the right people) on the last cruise. Its very unique, thats for sure. Didn't know it was your daily, thats even better, you get to enjoy the car every day.

Look forward too seeing more of the car. Fix the smoke problem yet? So if I drive behind you again, I won't have to cough through the smoke when you floor it :lol:

AsleepAtTheWheel
27th October 2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks Keating,

Unfortunately, I think the some problem may be just a bad side-effect of hitting the rev-limiter in a GZE. :lol: I hope it's nothing terminal :P

I think it needs a tune badly anyway - I'll be taking down to the guys at Crossley in the coming weeks for a dyno tune and a service to try and iron out a few bugs...

Felix
27th October 2007, 11:27 PM
very nice, been waiting for this to get put up here

once i'm driving again i'm going to head up to gilly's check out his beast and if your around (y) go for a spirited drive :)

keen to see a 7age vs 4agze comparison

how's the t series and t50 hold up?

Gilly
27th October 2007, 11:30 PM
nice car

can you get them in a mens version??

(says the guy with the less setup car :lol: )

we forgot to take pics today :( those are good though

AsleepAtTheWheel
27th October 2007, 11:37 PM
T-series/T50 combo seems to be fine at the moment although the change down into 2nd from 3rd seems to be a problem. Not sure what exactly is up, but once I get some fresh bushes etc in there, I hope the problem will sort itself out. I don't really want to have to be looking at synchros <_<

Gilly: I realised that when I shot through, but I'll have some time tomorrow and I'll borrow Lozza's work digi and get some more. I went for the nana version cause I prefer the smell of mothballs and wet carpet to the men's version with an carton of empty VB cans on the back seat, a 1988 People magazine in the glovebox and a bonus torn stone wash denim/flannalette ensemble driving suit... Whatever suits you though - might go with your retro haircut...:lol:

D-limo
28th October 2007, 12:19 AM
Holy shit I sooo nearly bought this beast a few years ago.. Saw it in a car park one night out at brissie and thought it looked pretty tuff, hopped on the net the next day looking for what prices ke70's were going for and alas the car I was drooling over the night before was fs!!! Looked quite different to what it does now, and was running one of the very first wolf cpu's ever made(seriously it was like one of the first 3 trial versions of the V1) which is ultimately why I didn't buy it.

The front mount is two RX-7 cores welded together I believe.

Great to see where it's ended up.. Very tuff little car. Paint and general presentation looks MUCH better than way back when as well

AsleepAtTheWheel
28th October 2007, 12:28 AM
Looked quite different to what it does now, and was running one of the very first wolf cpu's ever made(seriously it was like one of the first 3 trial versions of the V1) which is ultimately why I didn't buy it.

The front mount is two RX-7 cores welded together I believe.[/b]

Yeah - luckily that got replaced with a V4 before I bought it. Not sure what happened with the original V1 but a replacement Microtech or similar is on the wishlist for later.

Nice spot on the intercooler - you get a gold star :P

When this was originally built back in the day there was no such thing as cheap Ebay/chinese 'coolers. I guess this was the "budget" alternative :D

obey wan boenny
28th October 2007, 12:47 AM
This car is hot!!

raceAE86
28th October 2007, 02:07 AM
Man that looks phat, I just got rid of my AE71 coz I got my hands on a sprinter shell and after looking at this and other E7's Im kickin my self. Buy the way love the comment about your miss's mine hated the 71 and hates the 86 even more thats why I spend as much as I can on it. Lol.

dr1ft-pig
28th October 2007, 07:58 AM
nice car dude, flares just make it so hot

Kerryx
28th October 2007, 02:07 PM
Sik, finally got it up Ando! :P 1 thing, get wheel spacers !!!

08ftw
28th October 2007, 02:30 PM
Best thing about it - my girlfriend HATES it which tell's me that I'm on the right track :lol:[/b]

I lol'd. looks fkn nice mate! just picked up a 82 ke70. stock as a rock, but if i can get mine to look this good il be pretty daim happy :P

MountainRunner
28th October 2007, 03:14 PM
Nice car man (y)

obey wan boenny
28th October 2007, 03:16 PM
Sik, finally got it up Ando! :P 1 thing, get wheel spacers !!![/b]

fuck spacers! get massive dished rims!!!! :lol:

stefan
28th October 2007, 04:22 PM
tough as car u running spacers to fill the guards?

there massive flares

Gilly
28th October 2007, 04:52 PM
they are massive flares :lol:

front might be good enough with a longer LCA and smaller spacer

rears need 25mm's at least.

you don't want rims outside those flares it would look way Wak

howee
28th October 2007, 06:37 PM
Heyyyyy it's that green car i saw on the story bridge :rolleyes:

But then i remember it was gold and was also told ahaha :ph34r:

Anyway, hot car Ando.

howee

v-tec
28th October 2007, 07:55 PM
I was wondering who owned this ke70, saw the pics from the cruise and when one of this ke scrolled past my mouth droped.

Looks good mate, very clean to match too.

defect70
28th October 2007, 08:09 PM
mad car man whats the power to the wheels??

AsleepAtTheWheel
28th October 2007, 08:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DCNTLY @ Oct 28 2007, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=427137)</div>
Sik, finally got it up Ando! :P 1 thing, get wheel spacers !!![/b]

Yeah Matt - I've got them. The rears are running 25mm spacers in those photos but they're off the car at the moment waiting for Lawson to send me some high tensile studs. I'll be putting the rose-jointed or XT 130 RCA's in the front to pump out the front track but might add some slip-ons just to get them right. Maybe I need more than 25 mm in the back?! :lol:

I'm still on the look out for massive dish... unfortunately I'm not the only one :P

CA Infested - not sure at the current power at the wheels. The guy I bought it off reckons somewhere around the 160-170kw at the fly' mark. Feels about right but haven't had it dyno'd yet 'cause I've been too busy driving it.

samoo
28th October 2007, 09:52 PM
this thing is so niceeee... i love the guards

AsleepAtTheWheel
2nd November 2007, 10:13 AM
Small downer - today was the day when I finally cracked it with the noise coming from the rear. I think my wheel bearings have had it so I'll be pulling out the axles this arvo and dropping them to my diff and gearbox dude for replacement. At least I HOPE it's the bearings and not CW & P or something more expensive :blink:

In other more positive news, I grabbed some Omori boost, oil pressure and oil temp gauges (MADHOUSE hookup of course :P) for the interior for a bit extra JDM period-correct look to replace the Speco gauges that were the stop-gap measure.

More pics on the weekend including my ugly underbonnet and interior!

Gilly
2nd November 2007, 11:18 AM
i too hope its not a CW&P as i set that up many moons ago :P

mind you it could be pinion bearing

its a good excuse to buy better diff gears if it is :lol:

still makes me look silly

actually fuck that its behind a ZE, i'm safe :lol:

AsleepAtTheWheel
2nd November 2007, 12:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gilly @ Nov 2 2007, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=430014)</div>
its a good excuse to buy better diff gears if it is :lol:[/b]

If only I wasn't busted-ass poor right now... :P

Once I've checked out the wheel bearings and they look sweet, I'll have to assume that it is pinion bearing. Damn - that's a bit bigger job :blink:

paulie
2nd November 2007, 02:18 PM
Sweet mother of god! One of the best ke's ive seen.... Those honda lights came up a treat... Really tidy...

Those flares are huge... You def need some spacers to make use of them properly... Fark man, Looking at this makes me wonder why i sold my ke....

Bigups for yourself mate... Keep up the good work...

I demand more pics god damn it.. :2thumbs:

AsleepAtTheWheel
11th November 2007, 11:31 AM
Pulled the axles out and got the rear wheel bearings/seals replaced. Rep for Steve at Diff and Gearbox Industries at Windsor - he's a top guy who does a great job fast, 24hr access and for a good price which is a hard combination to find these days. :2thumbs:

Whilst they were out, gave the hubs a quick touch-up with some pressure-pack black just to tidy them up a bit. I figure if I do this for every part that needs fixing/replacing, soon enough it might be all nicely detailed :lol: .

I've been having some issues with the top silicone bend that runs from the intercooler into the plenum collapsing under vacuum - didn't seem to be having a major effect on the way it ran or anything, but it was irritating me everytime I looked under the bonnet when the car was running. After the old man and I thought about it for a while, we decided to make up a two-piece insert that was the same diameter as the 'cooler piping cut to make a 45 degree angle (same as the silicone bend) to give it some internal reinforcement. Found some aluminium piping kicking around in the shed to complete the job and cut it to length. Put it in and after driving it, it feels alot more responsive on the throttle now (especially in the mid-range). B)

Stuck the spacers back on the rear wheels to fill out the guards some more - much better looking now. Next up - the suspension... :P

AsleepAtTheWheel
11th November 2007, 12:19 PM
Some more pics as promised...car's pretty filthy - doin' my bit for the drought... :P

Exterior:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/158471.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/158472.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/158473.jpg

Interior:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/158474.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/158475.jpg

Engine Bay (yuck :P ) :

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/158476.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/158477.jpg

Boot Install:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/158478.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/158479.jpg

samoo
11th November 2007, 12:25 PM
right click save image..

very clean inside and out. (y) :D

do u get alot of attention from the po po?

AsleepAtTheWheel
11th November 2007, 12:27 PM
Nah - actually, the first time I've had any real trouble was on the AE86DC cruise at Nebo.

Other than that, I've never had any trouble - they don't seem to bother me at all... :)

lewa
11th November 2007, 01:23 PM
saved all!
awesome car!
so clean, and just looks to be a good all round package!

obey wan boenny
11th November 2007, 08:24 PM
This car NEEDS a proper photoshoot. :)

DRFTPG
11th November 2007, 08:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (majic86 @ Nov 11 2007, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=435149)</div>
This car NEEDS a proper photoshoot. :)[/b]

+1 and your the man for the job haha

samoo
11th November 2007, 09:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
This car NEEDS a proper photoshoot[/b]

shotgun hao ! :P

AsleepAtTheWheel
12th November 2007, 08:57 AM
What are you saying about the quality of my photography Hao?! :P

I'd be uber-keen to organise one - might even get Gilly in on the act for a MADHOUSE shoot in the piss (weak :lol:) yellow shovel nosed skirt-mobile... Whadda reckon Dave?

obey wan boenny
12th November 2007, 01:10 PM
nothing wrong with the quality of your photography :P

It's just that, well, this car is just soo fuggin sexy it could do with a shoot :D

seek
12th November 2007, 01:19 PM
hey mate, would it be too much trouble to get some closeups on how you set your gauges up in the corner there?
specifics: how did you mount that gauge frame to the dash?

Gilly
12th November 2007, 02:31 PM
I'm down like a clown charlie brown for proper pics

in a couple of weeks though when my car has better shoes and a chin growth

obey wan boenny
12th November 2007, 09:03 PM
bahahaha chin growth. :lol: I'm also down for the aforementioned idea of pics.

AsleepAtTheWheel
12th December 2007, 10:14 AM
Update:

Not much has been going on with my car lately - too much focus on developing some MADHOUSE parts etc and collecting more random bits.

I now have sitting at home waiting to go in some used AJPS springs (thanks Paul) so now I have all of the bits needed for the suspension upgrade. On closer inspection, the TRD green shockies that I have to go in are going to require a rebuild (around $300/strut) so I've also got a set of Tanabe Sustec Pro's that I'll put in for now. Not sure what they're from, as they'll need a little mod to fit, but they feel nice and firm. That should complete the suspension setup for now.

Also last night at volleyball some *milkshake* smacked the driver's side rear guard when he was reversing out of his carpark leaving me with 4 cracks and a chunk missing (Ouch) and significant movement on the 2 month old flare... :angry2: He had plenty of room, but it seems a meter in between cars just isn't enough these days when you drive a 4wd. On the plus side, I was pretty happy he left me his number. Great time of year for it to happen too - means that the old girl will be looking a little second hand for a few weeks. Seriously considering tidying up the flares now anyway - will be a good excuse to mould them in and get them painted body colour.

In other news, my old man has just ordered a new 3 bay shed and (hopefully) hoist for home so now I have access to a proper workshop B) Can't wait as this will make it so much easier to work on our numerous cars and also means that I won't have to finish up everyday to a point where I have to lock everything away seperately. :blink:

floody31
12th December 2007, 11:03 AM
Looking good... Body colour flares - cool, moulded in... not so much....

Gilly
12th December 2007, 03:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AsleepAtTheWheel @ Dec 12 2007, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=450920)</div>
In other news, my old man has just ordered a new 3 bay shed and (hopefully) hoist for home so now I have access to a proper workshop B) Can't wait as this will make it so much easier to work on our numerous cars and also means that I won't have to finish up everyday to a point where I have to lock everything away seperately. :blink:[/b]

Are you f#*king serious!!!!!

I'm moving in, your mum will love me, i'd be a good lodger

AsleepAtTheWheel
12th December 2007, 03:05 PM
C'mon Gilly - you know me. I don't joke about such matters. Serious cars call for serious workspaces :D

The hoist just has to be sorted out (read: sourced) but we're looking at a few options.

I'm tempted to order a MADHOUSE neon sign for the front too :P

P.S. My Mum loves you already - you know it :lol:

MARKE70
24th March 2008, 09:45 PM
Gilly has put me onto you Ando, re your sc14 as i am thinkin of doin one soon.

Thought id check your car out and holy moly its hot as!!!!!!!! love it dude well done!!! And thanks for the plug on the lights hahahahah i deadset couldn't believe it when i saw it aye!!!!!!

ill Pm ya re SC questions

jarrod-os
25th March 2008, 01:05 AM
this fkn ke is fkn piming those guards LOL FUCK there HOT lmao :D

federal
25th March 2008, 03:00 AM
please tell me that madhouse is thinking of getting copies made of the IPRA flares...

Todd
25th March 2008, 04:24 PM
+1 for that!!

AsleepAtTheWheel
25th March 2008, 05:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MARKE70 @ Mar 24 2008, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=507051)</div>
Gilly has put me onto you Ando, re your sc14 as i am thinkin of doin one soon.

Thought id check your car out and holy moly its hot as!!!!!!!! love it dude well done!!! And thanks for the plug on the lights hahahahah i deadset couldn't believe it when i saw it aye!!!!!!

ill Pm ya re SC questions[/b]

Hehe - yeah I couldn't believe it the day I walked into wreckers after hearing about your headlights Mark and saw an Accord that had just been towed in. I was all over it like a fat kid on a muffin! :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (federal @ Mar 25 2008, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=507193)</div>
please tell me that madhouse is thinking of getting copies made of the IPRA flares...[/b]

Keep an eye on the MADHOUSE page on here. Gilly and I have talked about getting *E7* flares done and seems like there may be certainly enough interest to warrant it... :whistling:

Be warned though, they're tough to fill out. I'm running 15 x 8 -4 Superlites with 25mm spacers (which makes it like -29 I guess?) on the back and they're STILL not quite filled out enough.

UPDATE:

The car has now had the flare damage repaired (finally) and the guards sprayed properly gloss black. Looks heaps pimp than the shitty Export spray can job that I had previously. Also had a twin-erection muffler added at extreme hEkTiC dorifto angle by the boys at East Coast Customs - big ups to Benny, Nate and all the boys for a sick job. :2thumbs:

She'll be going down to the boys at Crossley Performance for a checkover later this week. I think I'm losing boost somewhere (please God, not the rings :unsure: ) and the engine is making a bit of tappet noise (or something) so I want to get that checked out before the engine eats itself :blink: .

Beau
25th March 2008, 05:06 PM
i heard your mum loves Club Charles. I'm not suprised!

AsleepAtTheWheel
25th March 2008, 05:13 PM
Only if Club Charles sports a retro-classy haircut and velvet smoking jacket like one Sir David Gilson. :D

Maybe that's where I get my love of heated brandy balloons and mahogany lashed libraries from... :P

keto
25th March 2008, 06:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AsleepAtTheWheel @ Mar 25 2008, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=507379)</div>
Keep an eye on the MADHOUSE page on here. Gilly and I have talked about getting *E7* flares done and seems like there may be certainly enough interest to warrant it... :whistling:

Be warned though, they're tough to fill out. I'm running 15 x 8 -4 Superlites with 25mm spacers (which makes it like -29 I guess?) on the back and they're STILL not quite filled out enough.[/b]

indeed there would be much interest! i been on the hunt for a while for something to bolt on, though not as extreme as the ones you have!

federal
25th March 2008, 08:07 PM
i reckon i could fill them and possibly even have some rim hanging out, without spacers, hahahaha

pope
26th March 2008, 08:16 PM
Shotgun being a guinea pig for some flares.... :2thumbs:

Car looks mad BTW was planning on getting the same wheels for my keto.

E7
26th March 2008, 09:37 PM
i love the flares man!

looks sick

Hachi Roku
27th March 2008, 01:55 PM
almost looks like oldschool GTR in someways. Great work!

post some pics up of the clubman yo