PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to initiate?

Intense
14th April 2009, 03:33 AM
I was talking to my mate about what method he uses to start a drift. He used to use handbrake only but now his new car has a handbrake set up that won't lock the wheels properly which got me to thinking, just what is he going to do now?

Anyway as for me, I prefer feint drift for 2 reasons. The first is that it's very kind and forgiving on the drive train so no nasty blown t50's or t series. And secondly it's a really easy and simple way of getting the car to kick out. It's gradual so it gives you a lot of time to react and you can use it under pretty much every situation. Just turn away from the corner, turn in and mash it, works every time for me.

Never really had a car that had an effective handbrake to practice with so that's another reason I prefer this method. But what do you guys prefer?

Konakid
14th April 2009, 04:01 AM
comp lock is sexual when you get it right.

yakusikimo
14th April 2009, 06:19 AM
scando flick then compression lock is pretty much the only way to get a stock ke70 side ways in the dry i think. high revs in 3rd flick the car then change down 2nd release the clutch at max sidewards G then u will slide and lose heaps of speed. u cant power out cos 4k is shit so its not really drifting.

daily_driven_death_sled
14th April 2009, 09:25 AM
i turn on my hazards:P downshift and mash the gas, in the wet
i usually inerta it in the dry, same as the OP

Hokey
14th April 2009, 10:24 AM
Intense: can u describe feint?

I use shift lock handbrake and clutch. All depends on the corner, wet or dry and how much power car has

Shift lock is most fun in stock motor Ke's tho :D

ae71neo
14th April 2009, 04:58 PM
Depends on corner. Clutch kick, or feint, clutch kick, handbrake. Or just foot brake.

Intense
14th April 2009, 05:51 PM
Intense: can u describe feint?
For a right hand corner, I'll come up from the outside edge but not all the way over, before the corner starts flick it left so the suspension binds up on the right hand side, then turn in and once the suspension has bound up on the left mash the loud pedal. This should kick the back out nice and slowly rather than kicking it out violently so it's really easy to catch. If you want it to kick out quicker just use a more aggressive turn in or clutch it on the turn in. You need good front end grip to do this but if you find yourself understeering you can go into the corner hot and get on the brakes to help load up the front a bit and get a bit more grip that way. It's really the only way I know how to get a car sideways pre apex into a corner.

I really need to learn how to use the handbrake and maybe proper clutch kicks too.

Dom86
14th April 2009, 06:21 PM
Feint/scando flick, power on power off.
I hardly ever use the hand brake or clutch, just usually to correct the drift.
I've found that people in bigger cars use the hand brake more....

squish_m8
14th April 2009, 06:41 PM
Kick the clutch or if there's power, power over = win

doony
14th April 2009, 07:01 PM
i thought this thread was initiating sexual activities with the opposite sex.
i am now truely disapointed.

biggo
14th April 2009, 08:05 PM
^^

i usually use my balls for that sort of stuff

fantapants
14th April 2009, 08:43 PM
i use my balls also... when my wife gives them back :S

as for drift, feint all the way. The hbrake is too shit to lock and i hate the way a arsedrag feels :( Feint just makes SOOO much more sense! well to me a anyways :)

ae71neo
14th April 2009, 09:00 PM
The reason for the feint/clutch/handbrake is to get a bigger and longer entry. Plus you can come in quite fast. I find just feinting too slow. But thats just me...

stylz
14th April 2009, 09:16 PM
a voilent throw with a kick or abit of hand brake depending on the corner. and speeeed

hachi_dk
14th April 2009, 10:26 PM
feint, then a couple mashs of the clutch depending on length of corner and angle of corner

Rayner
14th April 2009, 11:21 PM
clutch, scandy or comp lock

narchi
15th April 2009, 12:03 AM
I usually clutch kick. Handbrake on tighter corners when im carrying a bit to much speed. I feint to try get more angle.

ae86hachiroku
15th April 2009, 01:08 AM
Never handbrake.. There's no excuse to do it in cars like ours. Shift lock is too slow.

Just give it shit and clutch kick. Getting a good flick is the key.

blair
15th April 2009, 01:37 AM
^ exactly my mentality.

speeeeeed!

Hokey
15th April 2009, 01:46 AM
how can you say shift lock is slow? in order to shift lock you have to be at the peak of the gear your are in to get the wheels to compression lockup so you can initiate drift. i think for street shift lock and handbrake are the fastest ways to enter.

marvis
15th April 2009, 01:50 AM
Gutters and drains.

H8CHIR6KU
15th April 2009, 02:01 AM
how can you say shift lock is slow? in order to shift lock you have to be at the peak of the gear your are in to get the wheels to compression lockup so you can initiate drift. i think for street shift lock and handbrake are the fastest ways to enter.

shift lock and handbrake are slower than just throwin the sob into it violently with maybe a little clutch kick on tighter turns.

ive only used shift lock between corners when coming out of the powerband in higher gear to near rev limit in 1 gear down. ie top of c-red to hairpin at wanneroo. but thats not really initiation just keepin it going

Hen may possibly be a nut
15th April 2009, 03:47 AM
Handbrake entries are the lowest form of entry. Even slightly lower than understeering off the track into tyre barriers.

Everything else is good. And it's good to learn a bunch of different ways to get/keep sliding.

Hen

stanzzza
15th April 2009, 05:52 AM
generally speaking i use shift/brakes to start a silde well i think it's called that.

so say 5500-7000rpm in 3rd throw in to direction of the corner once the cars about to slide split second slap it into 2nd and put decent pressure on the brakes (depending on how long of an entery and the corner) to get the car just at or slightly past the apex/gutter once your clear smash the trottal and if possable select 3rd or higher gear.

the braking and trottal all depend on how long of entery and grippness of the surface.

thats generally speaking my way of doing it. you could stay in 3rd for some corners but if it's too small you'll tend to load up 3rd and or bog out.

ae86hachiroku
15th April 2009, 11:12 AM

lol...

How long does it take to simply jab your foot on the clutch.

How long does it take for the compression lock to actually 'lock' after dropping the gear, the fact that you need to be in a higher gear to get the slide going in the gear you want is already a disadvantage to you, especially on street. Not too mention your wasting time having to grab the shifter.

Handbrake, again lol. Slows you down too much unless you're trying to do a 180 point turn, in which, you could still clutch kick and come in with a long entry. Time wasted again grabbing the handbrake, and you are having the clutch engaged anyway.

There's a reason why clutch kick is the most preferred method, it is fast, it is predictable, your hands don't need to come off the wheel, the revs stay up, it is simply efficient. Always in control.

Konakid
15th April 2009, 01:51 PM
If you comp lock properly, i.e under brakes then its like giving the handbrake a split second yank, works fucking well as you keep your speed up and therefore momentum. Its fast because you have to come into the corner quite fast and there is instant throttle as soon as the car gets sideways.

Without a doubt the fastest way to initiate as its a braking drift so you can approach the corner faster than you would normally than if you were going to clutch kick.

The fact that you need to change down, grab the shifter and work really fast to get it to be somewhat predictable and right is all part of the awesomeness of nailing it, especially on the street.

lol...

How long does it take to simply jab your foot on the clutch.

How long does it take for the compression lock to actually 'lock' after dropping the gear, the fact that you need to be in a higher gear to get the slide going in the gear you want is already a disadvantage to you, especially on street. Not too mention your wasting time having to grab the shifter.

Handbrake, again lol. Slows you down too much unless you're trying to do a 180 point turn, in which, you could still clutch kick and come in with a long entry. Time wasted again grabbing the handbrake, and you are having the clutch engaged anyway.

There's a reason why clutch kick is the most preferred method, it is fast, it is predictable, your hands don't need to come off the wheel, the revs stay up, it is simply efficient. Always in control.

ae86hachiroku
15th April 2009, 02:22 PM
If you comp lock properly, i.e under brakes then its like giving the handbrake a split second yank, works fucking well as you keep your speed up and therefore momentum. Its fast because you have to come into the corner quite fast and there is instant throttle as soon as the car gets sideways.

Without a doubt the fastest way to initiate as its a braking drift so you can approach the corner faster than you would normally than if you were going to clutch kick.

The fact that you need to change down, grab the shifter and work really fast to get it to be somewhat predictable and right is all part of the awesomeness of nailing it, especially on the street.

Why not enter earlier and clutch kick in that higher gear and drop down? So much more simple and all you need is a left foot jab. Whereas if your trying to turn in, you have 1 hand on the shifter, and one on the steering, that's less control for an aggresive entry.

Konakid
15th April 2009, 02:44 PM
You can use both hands on the steering wheel, you just need to down change really fast then get your hand back on the wheel as you release the clutch.

its mainly useful for when the corners arent wide enough or the car not powerful enough to accommodate for a big clutch kick entry.

Its a technique that is good for small entries really i find no more than 20 metres away from a corner.

R&D Mechanical
15th April 2009, 07:36 PM
first off i started just handbrake then it went into scando then handbrake for mega entrys.

depends on corner

Simon-KE70
15th April 2009, 08:26 PM
i like doing 20 kph up to a corner.... nice n slow... then i rip up the handbrake y'all... which washes me excessive speed off so i can enter in 1st and smoke da bags!

stylz
15th April 2009, 08:53 PM
^^ the man makes sense!

FAST EDDIE
15th April 2009, 09:01 PM
damn simon i thort u were gonn write some sensible shit so i could learn from the master but just shenanigans instead haha

gumbie
15th April 2009, 09:23 PM
Mungi before the corner.. :D

Simon-KE70
15th April 2009, 09:28 PM
eddie... im really confused man... these people speak of this backing off technique then flicking it.....

ummm.... who backs off?

lol keep it nailed.

gumbie
15th April 2009, 09:35 PM
eddie... im really confused man... these people speak of this backing off technique then flicking it.....

ummm.... who backs off?

lol keep it nailed.

so so true lol...

R&D Mechanical
15th April 2009, 09:43 PM
nailing it ftw

fantapants
15th April 2009, 10:16 PM
i woulda thought compression lock would be slow cos it involves hitting the limit of the gear?so you would then have to change again to go faster?

FAST EDDIE
15th April 2009, 10:26 PM
haha i thort it was best to learn your own way then driving againt better drivers to figure the best way?

oh just cos i love the oldschool 4th gear scandos down the straight. im sure youd have some to add simon??

Simon-KE70
15th April 2009, 10:43 PM
awww i have plenty to add whats the point.

fact is. comp lock, or handbrake... both rely on LOCKING YOUR WHEELS to start the drift, which slows you down.

can you not see why anything else is faster?

worked
15th April 2009, 11:45 PM
keep it nailed
handbrake to adjust line when i come in too shallow or fuck my line up (frequently)/scrub off speed coming into a tighter corner or following a car closely.
i hear you can use them to stop the car rolling away as well... and you can open a stubbie with them too!
130kph + scandos are the most ideal choice.
jealous you blokes have faster tracks.

Simon-KE70
16th April 2009, 08:40 AM
im jealous that you have tracks with more corners.

lala sucks. dont it far far too many times now lol

Ae86sam
16th April 2009, 03:02 PM
It all depends on the corner?

I use speed and a big steering flick.. add a clutch kick if required?

Feint if I need the speed through the corner..

Handbrake should only ever be used to trim your angle and line in the middle of the corner (or at the end of epic entries to extend the entry or change the line)

wideslider
16th April 2009, 03:07 PM
I use a different method for every corner, anyone who says 'this is the only way to enter a corner' needs more skills. gosh.

Ae86sam
16th April 2009, 03:09 PM
Lol... Just read some of the other responses...

Shift Lock is not good.. Never change down before a corner.. Its just a massive No No and puts alot of strain on the car and slows you down way too much...

If you want the fast entry just clutch kick earlier like ae86hachiroku has said..

Enter corner fast and throw earlier (clutch kick with steering input) use handbrake to trim if required otherwise pedal to the floor as much as possible (especially if its NA) Change down gears out of the corner if nessisary.. NEVER before..

ae86hachiroku
16th April 2009, 04:23 PM
scando is slow as well. As in, right hand corner, start from left big weight transfer type.

If you have the chance (which you usually do) to go one flick in it will always be faster. That's what pisses me off about DA, every single corner is always a scando, when they could have just done one initiation instead.

obey wan boenny
16th April 2009, 07:05 PM
I used only use handbrake or comp lock as my car had open wheeler so a clutch entry would never work. Now im trying to use clutch to initiate as much as possible in ke. so good being able to pop it and have it peel :P

Water Boy
16th April 2009, 09:32 PM
As one who drifting experience is very little I am unfirmilar with the term "Comp lock" but im guesssing comprssion lock up. Is this when a driver approches the corner is say 3rd drops her down a cog to 2nd lets the clutch out quickly and the car engine brakes so hard that the rear wheels lock up...

Bloody hell that takes a while in a FWD (Yes I know I dont own a RWD yet)

But as I have said my drifting experience is about .5 so very little but have done karting, track days etc and respect a lot the guys that can drift with good angle and control whilst holding speed.

Konakid
16th April 2009, 10:05 PM
My point regarding comp lock (please dont call it shift lock, we aren't in ameeeerica) was that it is useful if you are punting through the hills and decide to skid a tight say, 2nd gear corner, you can at the last minute, under brakes, pop it in 2nd and turn in and the rear will swing out.

It can also be used to extend a slide when you want to slow down after you have kicked the clutch as i have done where there is a big straight that leads into a tight corner, (i.e mallala turn 7).

Instead of giving it a big scando flick one way then when it comes back just jumping on the handbrake for 50 metres, you can come in faster, then when it flicks back you can be on the footbrake while comp locking to slow the car so you don't run wide.

KKUSTOM
16th April 2009, 10:13 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Couldn’t have said it better..

Simon-KE70
16th April 2009, 11:08 PM
fair enough, but in both situations you have named, you'd be better off using the handbrake, mainly cause its less hard on the car then compression locking the rears.

use the handbrake to lock the rear wheels rather then you whole drive train....

worked
16th April 2009, 11:44 PM
yeh pretty sure we all use different techniques, i'll comp lock if i'm say, in a work ute and it's raining.
or feint if i'm being a wanker in a standard car
i sorta thought we were talking about favourite entries here tho
scando from as far back as you can, least amount of handbrake possible TO ME, is the most fun.
i drift, i don't compete
the care factor for what is the fastest and best entry per certain corner is little
the care factor for what feels the most fun is lots

Hokey
17th April 2009, 12:07 AM
yeh what konakid said :P comp lock is wicked. most cars don't have the power to kick the clutch in the higher gear you are in to initiate a slide.

on the street most corners are 2nd gear right? come in in 3rd at about 90ish then shift down to second both hands on wheel well before corner clutch out violently and power is right there. i don't see how that's more complicated than jabbing the clutch. your feet are making the same movements.

we need driving club drift comp :))

ae86hachiroku
17th April 2009, 12:20 AM
yeh what konakid said :P comp lock is wicked. most cars don't have the power to kick the clutch in the higher gear you are in to initiate a slide.

on the street most corners are 2nd gear right? come in in 3rd at about 90ish then shift down to second both hands on wheel well before corner clutch out violently and power is right there. i don't see how that's more complicated than jabbing the clutch. your feet are making the same movements.

we need driving club drift comp :))

Not sure what cars your talking about here, but if it can comp lock it sure as hell can clutch kick.

I don't see how you don't see it's more complicated than jabbing the clutch, you've said it right there, look at it this way. You're going to drop a gear down anyway right? So why mess around with lockups and a hand off the steering wheel when you could just pop it left leg, and drop a gear while neutral sliding.

I can see how this technique can work casually, but if your talking about drifting with proper entries, not past apex turn ins, it's just not efficient enough, not to mention the initiation speed would be slow as. It's an easy comparison, film a car doing both techniques, you'll easily see which one is faster more consistent.

Rice86
17th April 2009, 08:26 AM
so the fight is over what is faster to enter a drift....

twin turbo your car.....or just clutch kick....if anything, it is easiet to get the rear out and even noobs can kick the clutch if they have license for a manual car...no rocket science to put ur foot down, gain power to the rear to loose grip....

Simon-KE70
17th April 2009, 08:33 AM
no fight, just a discussion.

the idea with a clutch kick is that it needs to be done when the car is un settled... as in a feint as such. Clutch kicking in a straight line or even while turning a little bit will get you no where in an underpowered car.

i could say more words... but i will let this video do the talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E4RdluB2p8

ae86
17th April 2009, 12:40 PM
even though im still learning, i use clutch kick, only cause my handbrake doesnt work

yakusikimo
17th April 2009, 06:44 PM
Not sure what cars your talking about here, but if it can comp lock it sure as hell can clutch kick.

Not for a stock ke. if u clutch kick the revs bog down and it understeers, if ur lucky the inside wheel spins hell dirty. but we're not talking about stock ke's anyway this is just my experience.

Hen may possibly be a nut
17th April 2009, 07:09 PM
the idea with a clutch kick is that it needs to be done when the car is un settled... as in a feint as such. Clutch kicking in a straight line or even while turning a little bit will get you no where in an underpowered car.

True.

blair
17th April 2009, 07:35 PM
even though im still learning, i use clutch kick, only cause my handbrake doesnt work

as said a million times above me, this is probably the best way to learn and actually initiate. relying on handbrake for entries really isnt the best approach (specific, unusual corners not included... archy turn 4 anyone?)

Simon-KE70
18th April 2009, 12:53 PM
Not for a stock ke. if u clutch kick the revs bog down and it understeers, if ur lucky the inside wheel spins hell dirty. but we're not talking about stock ke's anyway this is just my experience.

thats because driving up to a corner, turning in and clutch kicking it isnt going to work in this instance. what works is getting some speed up and feinting it, unloading the susp, then flick it bakc and into the corner with a massive amount of clutch kicking at the same time.... and it has to be timed right so when the susp is loaded up on the opposite side then the kick will acctually do something cause the rear of the car is unsettled from the speed and weight shift.

its kinda hard to explain. but yes thats how you can drift stock underpowered open diff cars.

no one said you can hold a huge slide with them, but you can still go in hot and get a decent entry.

worked
18th April 2009, 03:50 PM
i found the handbrake was good to play around with when learning, it helps if you think your falling short of a corner, you can bumdrag it, then gas it, then bumdrag again to widen your line a bit or get a bit more distance and keep some speed up.
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/8/5/7/4136.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v198/SLO-VLT/?action=view&current=GVuphill.flv)
sorta like this, i'm having trouble explaining it so here is a vid, on a closed road naturally, trying to link two corners in a tight section that are a fair way apart, speed and the above mentioned little jig are how i've found can help link corners. it's a big problem in underpowered cars on uphill sections i reckon.
the above vid is sorta just a little version of what some of the really good blokes do, michelmore, pidwell etc. i'm not that talented, actually i'm pretty shit, but it shows what i'm trying to say
it's easy to learn in the wet too, helps with longer entries etc

Konakid
18th April 2009, 04:33 PM
In that case it just killed all your momentum, can get away with it in a turbo car as it will just light up straight after you get off the handbrake and drop the clutch. Def the way to go when learning tho.

Simon-KE70
18th April 2009, 04:54 PM
i get what you mean mate, usually in the case of having less power and you want to link two corners like that you sacrifice on the line and angle and run wider so that you can still carry the speed to flick it into the next corner, if you try and keep it too tight you'll find you wont have the power to keep it going.

hard to explain but esses at mallala is a classic example... in my 60 rwkw ae86 i had to enter turn 7 then run wide with minimal angle in order to still carry speed and link turn 8 and 9. where as with my 32 i can enter in tight and stay on line and just blaze it through lol...

so yes. having less power requires a lot more technique and i'm a firm believer that once you can master drifting in a low powered set up you'll do really well in a high powered set up. its why there are some dickheads who totally suck in DA *cough GT George* cause they hop straight into a 400 rwkw car and then totally suck balls.

worked
18th April 2009, 05:03 PM
kinda had a feeling you'd be the first bloke with constructive critisism on street drifting!!
feel a bit self concious about posting that up now!

you sorta can't 'run wide' there tho. but i get what your saying, this is why i like the track, heaps faster.

Simon-KE70
18th April 2009, 05:08 PM
looks like a cool set of corners thats for sure ;)

worked
18th April 2009, 05:19 PM
yeh good bit of road, thats old footage, and i'm gutted it looks like i straighten up.
if you came down here one day i could show you the place...so stop being weak simon

Simon-KE70
18th April 2009, 05:25 PM
yeah planning on making the trip down one of these days dont worry! i bought a house recently and now im getting married... so money is a bitch atm :(

biggo
18th April 2009, 06:40 PM
real ,men use there balls for that sort of stuff, but yair, i still wanna head to tassie this year befor you guys float away

Konakid
18th April 2009, 11:01 PM
real ,men use there balls for that sort of stuff, but yair, i still wanna head to tassie this year befor you guys float away

Hahahahaha

They do have some sick roads, what does it cost to get a car there?

biggo
19th April 2009, 06:47 AM
i reckon we drive there, Isnt it like $100 to go on the spirit of tassie?

Road trip in winter anyone?

Simon-KE70
19th April 2009, 11:05 AM
its a shit load more then 100 bones... i've looked into it. but yeah will be down there soon!

biggo
19th April 2009, 03:08 PM
thats ghey, for a hundred clams id end up in tassie no worries. Maybe even shack up with one of bustin 86's sister/mum/neice etc etc

Me an a few mates were tossing up about heading down around august time. Might hit them up and see whats doing.

letsgohunting
19th April 2009, 03:36 PM
I use grip techniques to initiate slides. My style is more a fast drift than a show drift though - less angle more speed. For instance coming hard off a straight into a slower corner, onto the brakes following the racing line - get the weight off the rear wheels, turn in, off the brakes and directly onto the throttle and because my cars setup is fairly neutral the back follows through, I maintain momentum and speed and am able to take the race line.

Never use the handbrake unless it's to correct the line, but even then very scarcely. Sometimes use a bit of compression lock as konakid described it but only in the wet on the street.

obey wan boenny
19th April 2009, 06:01 PM
Yesterday at lala i tried to aviode handbrake and it really helped through the faster section (turn 1 and 2) Ran some gripper tyres than i usually do, and with new PS arms, i was holding to much angle and not enough speed during handbrake entry and get no where near linking into turn 2. later in the night i kept it flat and after the feint transition and had enough power/speed to keep it going, also more fun :D

Ae86sam
20th April 2009, 12:11 PM
Reading through these posts is hilarious...

In an underpowered car (which i had for a long time) you still clutch kick..? You can't just clutch kick it though, you have to have steering input to go with it..? that way your speeding up to a corner not slowing down.. And i'm not talking about track work here either..

Shift lock or comp lock is exactly the same as handbrake.. Just try modulating the handbrake instead of just jamming it on and holding it to keep your speed up.. Neither of these techniques should really be used in initiation unless its a high speed into super tight corner..

Robo86
20th April 2009, 01:30 PM
+1 ^^

alot of keyboard drifters!

scott_22
20th April 2009, 01:40 PM
to scared to use the handbrake (and it doesnt work anyway) so i normally kick the clutch or feint. whatever feels right at the time. clutch make me shit sometimes.

worked
20th April 2009, 06:35 PM

In an underpowered car (which i had for a long time) you still clutch kick..? You can't just clutch kick it though, you have to have steering input to go with it..? that way your speeding up to a corner not slowing down.. And i'm not talking about track work here either..

Shift lock or comp lock is exactly the same as handbrake.. Just try modulating the handbrake instead of just jamming it on and holding it to keep your speed up.. Neither of these techniques should really be used in initiation unless its a high speed into super tight corner..

with my first sprinter, which woulda had 60rwkw tops, drifting third at the uphill section of baskerville, i'd always keep kicking it to keep it turning the tyres.

all of our tracks (2) have 130-160 kph entry speeds into a 70-80 first corner so usually judges ask for scando entries (well don't ask but they score higher) so you need to get on the brake to scrub speed off.
most mainland blokes rate basky as the best track in aus, so maybe time for you clowns to get off the keyboard and come down
i'm sure i heard spirit has some offer going right now

Ae86sam
21st April 2009, 12:23 PM
with my first sprinter, which woulda had 60rwkw tops, drifting third at the uphill section of baskerville, i'd always keep kicking it to keep it turning the tyres.

all of our tracks (2) have 130-160 kph entry speeds into a 70-80 first corner so usually judges ask for scando entries (well don't ask but they score higher) so you need to get on the brake to scrub speed off.
most mainland blokes rate basky as the best track in aus, so maybe time for you clowns to get off the keyboard and come down
i'm sure i heard spirit has some offer going right now

Lol... Too far for me mate.. Its 20 + hours from bris to melb.. + the boat trip + the couple of hours to the track...

My dad's down there and keen to bring the car but too long to get there.. :(

I'll be there 2nd weekend of May just to visit but flying.. :)

kaibeecee
21st April 2009, 10:05 PM

haha sam some people can't listen to constructive information if they already know it all from being the best ;)

compression lock has its place and its NOT in an 86 on full tilt

i find the only time i've done it is at the track and it doesn't tighten your line as well as the handbrake and theres more work involved. more than what its worth.

best way to initiate is to just flick in and stand on it. just keep the car unsettled. you can control the speed of your transitions a bit with the clutch as well but in a 4a powered 86 you should be most concerned with keeping the wheels turning and that means momentum. speed.

ae86
22nd April 2009, 10:20 PM
i use rain and the steering wheel can lead me to my direction of course.

boost+k
10th June 2009, 02:54 PM
i dont even have a hand brake, always though it was cheating :P

my technique just speed and throw it, clutch kick sometimes, usallly mid courner to fix angle tho

Rice86
12th June 2009, 04:30 AM
tow truck

s14seriesII
17th June 2009, 09:10 PM
4th gear scando.. anything else is fail

D4NI3L
22nd June 2009, 11:23 PM
for 2 years i had a vx commodore ,v6, auto, for the first 6 months i wore out hand brake shoes in 1 month, so i had to find another way.

one night at 3am in bayswater after having a fight, i was agressive and should not have been driving.

i went into the corner about 30km to fast, i started turning in knowning i was going to crash, but then i slightly touched the brake again and the rear slowly moved out, i counter steered and fed in the power, i got throught by the skin on my teeth.

i stopped right after and got out, with shaking hands i started to think about what i had done running it over and over in my head. coming to the conculsion that BRAKING DRIFT WAS FOR ME.

i couldn't do it again that night or 4 more nights after that but i then slowly found how i had done it the first time. with new brake pads and high grip tyres all round i went back the next weekend.

this is how i do it

i go into the corner slightly overspeed braking very hard, i stop braking turn in and slightly brake once more the car naturaly wants to go into a perfectly smooth drift and with that kind of entry speed it's easy to keep a nice angle through and out of the corner, form start to finish a perfect drift...

tell me about your experences, and ideas are always welcome

blair
22nd June 2009, 11:26 PM
is this on a single corner or a series of corners??

i only find a braking entry useful when i have to shake off speed, as under normal circumstances it makes it harder for me to follow a good line (through a series of corners.)

also, dont want to brake to hard and lock the fronts!

obey wan boenny
22nd June 2009, 11:34 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=4959

D4NI3L
23rd June 2009, 09:27 AM
doesn't mater if theres a series of corners or not you can hold the angle through all of them

as for that link they talk alot about handbrake and shiftlock but i wanted a forum about braking drift

D4NI3L
23rd June 2009, 09:30 AM

i only find a braking entry useful when i have to shake off speed, as under normal circumstances it makes it harder for me to follow a good line (through a series of corners.)

i can understand in a lighter car about the brakes locking up but on a vx theres so much weight on the front end that locking up has never been a problem

Robo86
23rd June 2009, 10:53 AM

unless your BANGING it in at qr heading to the dipper, need to loose 50k's in a matter of seconds :P so just jam em on for hottnes entry!

will reply later about the rest

ae86hachiroku
23rd June 2009, 12:58 PM
What a touching story

marvis
23rd June 2009, 02:33 PM
I don't think there is a need for another thread, so I have added it to the thread it sits in now.

I have never used this, I don't go fast enough :P

marvis.

Konakid
23rd June 2009, 03:03 PM
braking drifts are the hardest to get right and the fastest way of entering, not only are you trying to get the car sideways but you are trying to slow it down so you dont run wide, basically meaning that you could not have entered any faster without ending up into a guardrail on the outside of the corner.

Feel so good when you nail it though, epsecially comp lock!

D4NI3L
24th June 2009, 06:46 PM
im wondering if this can be done properly in a light car, im hoping to switch to a ae86 later this year, i know theres to sperate driving styles for a 1600kg car and a 1000kg

i thought it might be harder due the the drum rear end vs disc anyone have any thoughts

ae86hachiroku
24th June 2009, 07:20 PM
Forget about it and use a clutch kick.

D4NI3L
24th June 2009, 08:11 PM
not a fan of clutch kick, not that i dont do it, it's one of the many ways i use to drift but i prefer brake drifting its just so much more smoother

marvis
24th June 2009, 08:22 PM
Well in a AE86 you will need to learn...

Don't tell me you are still driving a commo...

Everyone seems to be jumping on the AE86 bandwagon...

ae86hachiroku
24th June 2009, 08:33 PM
I think it's just school holidays.

Braking just isn't efficient enough to be doing it at a higher level. Might be cool for a few right hand bends, tighter corners, try being 'smooth' on a sweeper, not only will you find it difficult because your slowing the car so much, you'll also lose a lot of speed when attempting to carry the momentum through the corner, especially with an AE86, you better get use to doing so.

In addition, it looks crap, because you enter so late, and might as well just be in circuit racing anyway.

If you can't be smooth with a clutch kick, then either your setup is messed up, need to grow some balls, or doing it wrong.

stylz
24th June 2009, 10:15 PM
harsh but true.

Konakid
24th June 2009, 10:45 PM
braking drift im talking about is good for when you are punching a hard hills run and decide to chuck some skids while keeping the pace right up, some of the fastest drifting ive ever done is doing it that way, i guess it 'race drift' as opposed to show drift. Use less angle to keep speed up etc.

racsov
24th June 2009, 11:31 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/3/6/2/17142.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/i/361855597174c570fc80.jpg/)

been trying it.. my handbrake doesnt work and the car handles sloppy and is pretty slow to respond to steering.. so its prob the best way ive found so far.. but you need to be coming in HARD for it to work otherwise you lose way to much speed.. id be coming in at the top of 3rd

D4NI3L
25th June 2009, 09:36 AM
I think it's just school holidays.

Braking just isn't efficient enough to be doing it at a higher level. Might be cool for a few right hand bends, tighter corners, try being 'smooth' on a sweeper, not only will you find it difficult because your slowing the car so much, you'll also lose a lot of speed when attempting to carry the momentum through the corner, especially with an AE86, you better get use to doing so.

In addition, it looks crap, because you enter so late, and might as well just be in circuit racing anyway.

If you can't be smooth with a clutch kick, then either your setup is messed up, need to grow some balls, or doing it wrong.

WOW that is so true..... for a track drifter show drifting but still has nothing to do with me

Axentrik
25th June 2009, 12:19 PM
for 2 years i had a vx commodore ,v6, auto, for the first 6 months i wore out hand brake shoes in 1 month, so i had to find another way.

one night at 3am in bayswater after having a fight, i was agressive and should not have been driving.

i went into the corner about 30km to fast, i started turning in knowning i was going to crash, but then i slightly touched the brake again and the rear slowly moved out, i counter steered and fed in the power, i got throught by the skin on my teeth.

i stopped right after and got out, with shaking hands i started to think about what i had done running it over and over in my head. coming to the conculsion that BRAKING DRIFT WAS FOR ME.

i couldn't do it again that night or 4 more nights after that but i then slowly found how i had done it the first time. with new brake pads and high grip tyres all round i went back the next weekend.

this is how i do it

i go into the corner slightly overspeed braking very hard, i stop braking turn in and slightly brake once more the car naturaly wants to go into a perfectly smooth drift and with that kind of entry speed it's easy to keep a nice angle through and out of the corner, form start to finish a perfect drift...

cool story bro

ae86hachiroku
25th June 2009, 01:01 PM
WOW that is so true..... for a track drifter show drifting but still has nothing to do with me

I'm not quite sure what you're doing though?

If it means the scenario is always you being angry after a fight with a sibling, then I guess that braking drift is good for you?

Robo86
25th June 2009, 01:21 PM
hahah.

yer i agree 100% with Ken, i dont reallly see the need to be using braking drift much unless your coming into a tight section wayy fast and u need to use alot of angle and brakes (obviously) to actually slow down enough to get the corner. You cant use braking drift much at all in most situations a 86(n/a), as ken said you loose WAY to much speed (and obviously speed is so vital with 86s). i still dont really understand what your talking about daniel? do you "slide" a commy still?

Axentrik
25th June 2009, 01:44 PM
not a fan of clutch kick, not that i dont do it, it's one of the many ways i use to drift but i prefer brake drifting its just so much more smoother

clutch kickings a bit hard in an auto.

Konakid
25th June 2009, 02:50 PM
kickdown y0!

racsov
25th June 2009, 04:38 PM
d is for drift

driftke70
25th June 2009, 06:00 PM
some fucking jive talk in here

Konakid
25th June 2009, 06:52 PM
Meh, bit of a pointless thread, you should be able to initiate in all sorts of different ways for all different corners and tracks. You shouldn't just always enter in one certain way really.

Danzo
25th June 2009, 11:33 PM
d is for drift

R is for race and N is for nitrous, the numbers are for what place you wanna come in the race. Its true, the Stig told me so.

driftke70
26th June 2009, 12:58 AM
p is for powerslide

D4NI3L
26th June 2009, 09:40 AM
I'm not quite sure what you're doing though?

If it means the scenario is always you being angry after a fight with a sibling, then I guess that braking drift is good for you?

that was just a one off and i happened to accdently learn it, i can't do it now unless im calm, i dont do it on all corners i use a few different styles sometimes in the same corner to drift nicely but braking drift is my favorite

Danzo
26th June 2009, 11:23 AM
I also wear a mood ring for when im drifting, and I change my entry style depending on the colour of the ring.

driftke70
26th June 2009, 12:07 PM
rofl

D4NI3L
26th June 2009, 07:51 PM
if your slowing down so much to do a brakin drift your not doing it right,

its about keeping your speed up not slowing down

driftke70
26th June 2009, 08:31 PM
thats what lift off is for

Danzo
26th June 2009, 08:42 PM
thats what lift off is for

only when the ring is purple though, otherwise your guaranteed to bend a control arm.

H8CHIR6KU
27th June 2009, 03:02 AM
i suppose that commo single spinner is awesome for drifting too??

Axentrik
27th June 2009, 03:59 AM
automatics are the best for drifting

ae86hachiroku
27th June 2009, 01:11 PM
I like to use what I call roll drift.

Here's what I do, I purposely detune the shocks so that they have very little dampening, when I get to the corner, I simple steer into it, because the car rolls and the chassis rail is pretty much grinding the floor, it breaks traction and sends the car into a smooth drift and I slide through with very little power.

Anyone else use this technique? I developed it myself after a lot of sleepless nights.

shichi~
27th June 2009, 07:10 PM
^Lol

i dont like comp lock feels to harsh 4 me i prefer feint then mid corner clutch kick to keep it goin all tho i love goin top of 3rd to feint to clutch in to 2nd then handbrake to adjust angle atm i hate my final drive as it sits on 7500prm in 2nd or dies out in 3rd :(

Hokey
27th June 2009, 07:45 PM
every car is different as is every corner. there is now right way to initiate.

if the commo is the one i've seen drift then his entry's and driving were awesome. the style of entry fitted teh car and the corner (wet). it was auto so he couldn't clutch kick, it was a vx so the handbrake is fucked and it was open diff so he couldn't just power on. it worked for him so theres no point saying it's the wrong thing to do.

D4NI3L
27th June 2009, 08:30 PM
every car is different as is every corner. there is now right way to initiate.

if the commo is the one i've seen drift then his entry's and driving were awesome. the style of entry fitted teh car and the corner (wet). it was auto so he couldn't clutch kick, it was a vx so the handbrake is fucked and it was open diff so he couldn't just power on. it worked for him so theres no point saying it's the wrong thing to do.

montrose im from bayswater been to gatwick rd or turbo drive laterly? lol

i drive a white vx

driftke70
27th June 2009, 08:43 PM
i once woke up at approx 8 15 am, i was pottering around for a while, and i got hungry around lunch time as i skipped breaky as per usual, after this occurance i decided to drive to get food, behind me was a lotus elise, i was in my daewoo so i felt i had to prove my worth, so i gunned it real hard and started to munji up the road, once i started to sway from side to side i couldnt get it to stop, so i just kept using this to my advantage and just kept going around one corner after the next, even 15km of highway. the lotus just could not keep up with my sik daewoo, so, from this day, i always just munji and use it to link everything, can only do it when im hungry though.

D4NI3L
27th June 2009, 10:19 PM
i once woke up at approx 8 15 am, i was pottering around for a while, and i got hungry around lunch time as i skipped breaky as per usual, after this occurance i decided to drive to get food, behind me was a lotus elise, i was in my daewoo so i felt i had to prove my worth, so i gunned it real hard and started to munji up the road, once i started to sway from side to side i couldnt get it to stop, so i just kept using this to my advantage and just kept going around one corner after the next, even 15km of highway. the lotus just could not keep up with my sik daewoo, so, from this day, i always just munji and use it to link everything, can only do it when im hungry though.

i can see why your post count is over 1000, with replys like "rofl" and that dribble it wouldn't take long to go up, to bad you dont seem to have anything of much worth to say

Hokey
27th June 2009, 10:40 PM
yeh mean i have the grey ke. pauls mate. i remember your commo

Konakid
27th June 2009, 11:14 PM
i can see why your post count is over 1000, with replys like "rofl" and that dribble it wouldn't take long to go up, to bad you dont seem to have anything of much worth to say

:right:

Search his post history, you'd be suprised.

Ohh and if you havent gathered this thread has deteriorated into a pisstake.

kaibeecee
28th June 2009, 01:42 PM
I like to use what I call roll drift.

Here's what I do, I purposely detune the shocks so that they have very little dampening, when I get to the corner, I simple steer into it, because the car rolls and the chassis rail is pretty much grinding the floor, it breaks traction and sends the car into a smooth drift and I slide through with very little power.

Anyone else use this technique? I developed it myself after a lot of sleepless nights.

i do this too only i run +3 degrees of camber, so when it rolls it gets massive angle.

lets see this for what it is....

auto commo
wet weather
the internet

driftke70
28th June 2009, 11:30 PM

so for 2 years you had a commodore, but later state you have.
and in the first 6 months, you wore out the hand brake in 1 month, which was it?

I went into the corner about 30km to fast, i started turning in knowning i was going to crash, but then i slightly touched the brake again and the rear slowly moved out, i counter steered and fed in the power, i got throught by the skin on my teeth.

I stopped right after and got out, with shaking hands i started to think about what i had done running it over and over in my head. Coming to the conculsion that braking drift was for me.

I couldn't do it again that night or 4 more nights after that but i then slowly found how i had done it the first time. With new brake pads and high grip tyres all round i went back the next weekend.

This is how i do it

if your going in over speed, and then braking very hard, there is no point in you going in over speed.

Konakid
29th June 2009, 01:48 AM
Well there kinda of is, if someone is chasing you, you can use the speed to pull a big lead on them as opposed to them coming in slow and just kicking the clutch to try and catch up.

I just reckon its awesome fun to do because you know that if you werent on the brakes to slow the car down while sideways you just wouldnt be able to stop in time for the corner. Surely that has to be the fastest way to enter?

D4NI3L
29th June 2009, 09:13 AM

you didn't really read that at all did you,

i had a commodore for 2 years.

for the first 6 months i used the handbrake.

and every month i used it i wore out shoes.

so i changed the shoes about 6 times......

now that your caught up to everyone else

D4NI3L
29th June 2009, 09:26 AM
and then you say

if your going in over speed, and then braking very hard, there is no point in you going in over speed.

haha omg you dont even know what a braking drift is do you

if you go in to slow you can't brake hard enough to get the weight transfer to the front then you end up understeering into the corner

if you go into the corner faster and brake harder you get enough weight transfer to the front then as you turn in (by the way still going alittle to fast for the corner) you tap the brakes once more not to slow down but to lock the rear wheels remember all the weight is on the front wheels so even the lightest touch on the brakes will make the rear tyres lock it slide

basicly if you go in fast you have the grip if you go in slow you dont

kaibeecee
29th June 2009, 10:22 AM
doesn't a VX commo have ABS?

so.... how does this work again?

Robo86
29th June 2009, 10:41 AM
dude dont go having a dig at driftke70, he knows 100x what you do, and is a very good slider himself.

+1 on pete

D4NI3L
29th June 2009, 11:00 AM
doesn't a VX commo have ABS?

so.... how does this work again?

yeah you just need to pull the wiring harness to the ABS computer in the engine bay abs light on to have fun

D4NI3L
29th June 2009, 11:01 AM
dude dont go having a dig at driftke70, he knows 100x what you do, and is a very good slider himself.

+1 on pete

his been haven a go at me sence i got here i consider it closed now

driftke70
29th June 2009, 12:10 PM
i understand what your trying to say about weight transfer, i just dont like commodores ;)

blair
29th June 2009, 12:21 PM
^ and almost every persons attitudal problems that owns one.

driftke70
29th June 2009, 01:03 PM
you said what i was hoping was passed on

sonsta
29th June 2009, 01:04 PM
hey D4NI3L if you havnt already setup the suspnsion in your commodore you should try readin my sig!! :P sounds like its your kinda setup

Robo86
29th June 2009, 01:26 PM
lol.
nothing beats a nice feint entry, it will ALWAYS be my personal favorite entry style

driftke70
29th June 2009, 01:27 PM
majority of my stuff is feint

sonsta
29th June 2009, 01:43 PM
in my old red ke i remember it was heaps of fun doing compression entrys cos of my lack of power, you would come into the corner about half way through 3rd, slap it back into second drop the clutch and slide into the corner and give it everything it had to try and power out of it. it was the easiest way for me to slide in the dry with the 4k

20v i pretty much just used the clutch, but that would be cos i never had a decent handbrake

and in the 4ac its either handbrake or clutch, depends on the weather haha

sonsta
29th June 2009, 01:46 PM
woops.

ae86hachiroku
29th June 2009, 06:13 PM
On a new note. I wish Australian's would stop doing scandinavian flicks on everything (example ; right hand corner, start from left of track, sway right, slide left, slide right). A lot of the time (99.9%?), it's not as fast as one big entry, especially with a nice long tug of the handbrake that I usually see them do. And really, it just slows you down earlier because you didn't have the nuts or judgement to use the speed and wash it off with a single initiation.

marvis
29th June 2009, 06:25 PM
^ LOL.

So true though.

blair
29th June 2009, 08:39 PM
On a new note. I wish Australian's would stop doing scandinavian flicks on everything (example ; right hand corner, start from left of track, sway right, slide left, slide right). A lot of the time (99.9%?), it's not as fast as one big entry, especially with a nice long tug of the handbrake that I usually see them do. And really, it just slows you down earlier because you didn't have the nuts or judgement to use the speed and wash it off with a single initiation.

to clarify your example with what is the best way:
right hand corner, start from mid-right of track, sway left, flick and slide right

thats what i always try and do

stuartgze
29th June 2009, 08:56 PM
lately i have been using my table to start my drift on the computer chair. but most of the time i just clutch kick with a little feint or handbrake and quickly drop from 3rd to second while the clutch is still in. but i haven't driven my car in a long time. funny thread though.

Danzo
29th June 2009, 11:17 PM
this is what happens if you dont heed the mood ring....

http://vimeo.com/5330135

ae86hachiroku
29th June 2009, 11:19 PM
to clarify your example with what is the best way:
right hand corner, start from mid-right of track, sway left, flick and slide right

thats what i always try and do

Spot on.

Simon-KE70
29th June 2009, 11:35 PM
some ppl would still call that a scando.

i do both, i have fun doing both, when i scando enter a corner i start middle of the track, flick it left, car slides then flick it right and drift in. i dont do multiple scando's or munji's or anything.. thats just gay.

as said by someone else in this thread... theres no set method, and diff corners require diff things.

obviously competition level drift requires some sort of pre apex... and breaking drift just doesnt give you that.

ae86hachiroku
30th June 2009, 12:11 AM
some ppl would still call that a scando.

i do both, i have fun doing both, when i scando enter a corner i start middle of the track, flick it left, car slides then flick it right and drift in. i dont do multiple scando's or munji's or anything.. thats just gay.

as said by someone else in this thread... theres no set method, and diff corners require diff things.

obviously competition level drift requires some sort of pre apex... and breaking drift just doesnt give you that.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, the manji type. It's just rank. Getting technical here, but if that small flick left needs a jerk to the right, that's also fairly gay.

lloydious86
30th June 2009, 12:35 AM
i do scando with a clutch kick, want to develop into long handbrake entry and feint to intiate scando near future

D4NI3L
12th July 2009, 02:34 PM
ok guys this is me doing a braking drift a few years ago, as i still had the v6 open diff you can see how im fighting it to stay side ways later in the drift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgOGuRbHsdM

ROLL3R
12th July 2009, 02:43 PM
go the gatwick !!!

D4NI3L
12th July 2009, 02:57 PM
shhh between u and me paul...lol

ROLL3R
12th July 2009, 03:02 PM
Sure thing !!! its all good though, they can see you # plate ANYWAYS !!:yeah:

D4NI3L
12th July 2009, 03:11 PM
yeah well with all the rereg's reshells im not even sure thats me so i don't know how they can be sure enough to fine me

Simon-KE70
12th July 2009, 03:14 PM
i'd blur it out anyway.

nice drift for a commo tho lol

D4NI3L
12th July 2009, 04:28 PM
i'd blur it out anyway.

nice drift for a commo tho lol

they were the first weeks after learning how to do it, 2 years practise sence then:DD

D4NI3L
3rd August 2009, 01:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks68enEWRoE

ArbPotatoes
3rd August 2009, 07:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks68enEWRoE

I'd love to see you do that in the DRY... good work for in a commo :P

D4NI3L
3rd August 2009, 08:57 PM
I'd love to see you do that in the DRY... good work for in a commo :P

have done... fun to watch but no fun as a passenger

Hokey
3rd August 2009, 09:30 PM
ah i love that road :D

stylz
3rd August 2009, 10:21 PM
someone pm me that road. i must rip skids on it~! :<

D4NI3L
3rd August 2009, 10:21 PM
ah i love that road :D

Yeah hehe

Hachi-Rocku
4th August 2009, 12:28 AM
pretty nice for a commo!

for me say a right hand turn i would start off in the middle of the road turn left clutch kick it at the same time as turning it back right to start the drift. works for first corner of starting a drift.

D4NI3L
4th August 2009, 08:14 PM
i just go in to fast and brake hard, get the weight at the front of the car then turn in and touch the brake again drift's by it's self

Low Style
20th August 2009, 02:14 PM
all depends on corner for me.

ke55pig
4th September 2009, 05:03 PM
start middlle of road sway leftjab it bak right clutch it through corner as its under powered 4k and mash throttle to slide out

D4NI3L
24th September 2009, 08:41 PM
i love how everyone has there own style it's what makes drifting so cool

Chaos Theory
25th September 2009, 04:58 AM
cheesy pick up lines, works a charm ;)

Dan_J
20th October 2009, 05:34 PM
mainly hand brakies on a single pegger, clutch kicks work but is shit spinning 1 wheel

clutch kicks+clutch kick feints on a locker, handbrakies barely work, and need more skill/power for foot brake sliding on a 4k

keiichi
21st October 2009, 06:20 PM
this is what happens if you dont heed the mood ring....

http://vimeo.com/5330135

haha that was a hard gutter smack - was he ok?

Brendan
25th November 2009, 05:59 PM
I tried to scando with a compression lock into a corner yesterday in my old hilux... got sideways oversteer left first off for the left hand corner, then flicked it to turn in so oversteer right, was doing about 70 mid to high third gear, slap back to second to initiate first flick...

all went well except started a little bit to early, had to pull out last second and straighten... not exactly a drift car but i give it a good hiding and can compression lock the thing well sideways before a corner...

:)

Brendan
25th November 2009, 08:14 PM
or sometimes i go for the dirt turbo... :D

s14seriesII
25th November 2009, 08:50 PM
latest favourite is flick of the wheel and full load/rpm clutch kick in 4th :)

KENut
25th November 2009, 09:21 PM
latest favourite is flick of the wheel and full load/rpm clutch kick in 4th :)

Sorry power!

I flick, rarely use the handbrake cos it doesn't work very well. And sometimes stab the brakes through transition on dirt to keep it out/and keep usable revs. Usually in 2nd cos its gutless, lol.

ae86
26th November 2009, 03:09 PM
i put a banana on the ground like in mario kart

Rice86
26th November 2009, 03:33 PM

nice!!!

lolwat
26th November 2009, 08:10 PM
fark you must eat a lot of bananas

spiderman
29th November 2009, 08:00 AM
A big feint, the handbrake and a good dose of throttle in second. I has no power :(

evil86
29th November 2009, 08:41 AM
i was at track just yesterday. second time in life(kinda shame, then again only got my car back 2 week ago.)

i find it hard to get good entry. i scando but not as good as i want to.maybe im scared. any tips?

Joshie_Mcslide
29th November 2009, 09:17 AM
Depends on the corner(and im not refering to any track) dry surface,comp lock with a flick,sometimes the handbrake if the revs arnt rite........

in the wet.....tourqe is my friend! i have to try not to slide.....hahaha

evil86
29th November 2009, 09:38 AM
i wieght shift at corner then hand brake, drop cluthc and clutch kick if needed

Brendan
29th November 2009, 11:18 AM
My advice is don't bitch out haha, nah seriously tho, go hard on the track, be careful on the street... Find a nice secluded road without gutters to get confidence up.

It's not a bad thing to be cautious, better too slow than to fast.

bams_keto
29th November 2009, 01:41 PM
i've found out through just going out some nights that with a na, its all or nothing. Meaning u can't really play with the throttle like turbos, your foot needs to be planted coz if u lift it off there basically no way the car is getting back out again well through that corner. Just abit different in the wet tho

racsov
29th November 2009, 07:14 PM

double tap b so you hold it

lolwat
6th December 2009, 10:05 AM
How you doin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.ady
7th December 2009, 12:16 AM
Depends on the corner(and im not refering to any track) dry surface,comp lock with a flick,sometimes the handbrake if the revs arnt rite........

in the wet.....tourqe is my friend! i have to try not to slide.....hahaha

really? comp lock in the dry? ive tried this cant get the car side ways enough and my exit is shit! i guess ive doubts or i jst hav a vagina that my box will break or it wont lock up

Joshie_Mcslide
7th December 2009, 09:04 AM
yeah.....The corona loves it! Obviously i cant link shit,but the entrys/exit's are acceptable......needs a good flick though to get it done rite!

I mean...i'm no pro or anything...havn't even got to the track yet....lol,but i got a few fav corners around here

Konakid
7th December 2009, 09:48 AM
Comp lock should be done while braking.

.ady
7th December 2009, 02:04 PM
Hrmm I jst want to find different ways to initiate bcuz I can't break traction lately bcuz my clutch is gone and my handbrake(disk) dnt work for shit!!! dnt hav the balls to feint scared I might under steer or the car doesn't go sideways but yea I only comp lock in the wet I dno if it's wise to do so in the dry but that's my opinion anyways

Joshie_Mcslide
7th December 2009, 04:36 PM
are t50's as strong as a w58? probably cost more to replace?

yeah i think i do brake for the comp lock.....I dunno,i see a mint corner,I just hit it up!

It started a few drops of rain down my way a few mins ago....the skys grey as fuck!
Fingers crossed.....I'm going out for a session later with my bro's keto!
Figgered out how to use the video function on my camera.....hangin to get some footage!

Rice86
7th December 2009, 05:48 PM
Hrmm I jst want to find different ways to initiate bcuz I can't break traction lately bcuz my clutch is gone and my handbrake(disk) dnt work for shit!!! dnt hav the balls to feint scared I might under steer or the car doesn't go sideways but yea I only comp lock in the wet I dno if it's wise to do so in the dry but that's my opinion anyways

this is the best time in my view to learn how to drift properly now...brake drifting...go fast..hit the brakes and weight shift to the front and turn into the corner, by now you should have loose traction on the rear so power down and counter in the direction of the exit corner...anyways..thats how takumi does it and he learnt from Drift king himself!!! watch drift bible and its something like what ive just said since im going of what i remember from the drift bible :DD

.ady
7th December 2009, 06:48 PM
lols well yea in theory sounds right but wen u say YOU SHOULD have lost traction thats where it scares me...and going by drift bible the "dynamic drift" where u speeed and once u let go of the accel pedal you begin to go sideways and control the drift with braking. BUT if your not going sideways from the point u release what happens then?

i need another pos car where i dnt give a shit about to start throwing a car into a corner at 100+

lo_rolla
7th December 2009, 06:49 PM
I'm no pro drifter (in fact I suck), but I've been watching some of the QR practices and I have this to say.

Less Manji, More Entry.

.ady
7th December 2009, 07:11 PM
^^^ lol yea i suck too but munji is always fun :D

Joshie_Mcslide
7th December 2009, 07:12 PM
ady.....might be time to sell the 86 and buy a ke70!
wont be scared to wreck it then.....missile that shit!!

.ady
7th December 2009, 07:38 PM
hahah nah man im keeping it but i may buy a track or something that i dnt care about

Joshie_Mcslide
8th December 2009, 04:37 PM
Do it!!

.ady
8th December 2009, 11:49 PM
no monies

Rice86
9th December 2009, 09:11 AM
run super bald tyres on some 13s and power out with a lil weight shift...even a 4ac could do it

Joshie_Mcslide
9th December 2009, 11:03 AM
i'll donate you an e7 shell,hahaha

Nah serious.....Mums starting to crack the shits with the wreckers out the back!

.ady
9th December 2009, 02:03 PM
hahahaha ca18de+T drop in :D