PDA

View Full Version : intercooler piping question

remi
13th November 2007, 05:16 PM
Not a very technical question but i was wondering if there are any front mount kits out there for AE86's.

I'm putting an SR20DET in mine and was wondering if an S13 one would fit.

I'm not so interested in the intercooler itself. Mainly the piping.

Any suggestions would help me out.

Maybe some of the other sr20 guys on here can tell me what they have done.

Cheers Mike

SNAP
13th November 2007, 08:14 PM
i guess that all depends on where u mount the intercooler, the dimentions of the cooler u are intending to use, where u mount the engine..all ads up

Jason
13th November 2007, 09:21 PM
The best thing you can do if grab your tapemeasure and see what will fit. You probably will (i dont think any one sells IC kits yet?) have to make some custom brackets up, but hey thats cars :P

Piping, well you could take it to a shop OR map out how you want it to run, grab some stainless pipes and elbows and sorts and go to town with a cutter and some tack welding. I did this cost me $50 in pipes (all stainless) and looks great, though i had some one tig it up for me, but if you tack it all togerther (i used a stick on it !!) it should be really cheap.

J

btw i definitely wait until the motor is in first ;)

remi
14th November 2007, 12:06 PM
Cheers Jason

Where did you get the stainless from. I went to carline today and they quoted me like

2 x 45deg bend $118
2 x 90deg bend $120
1 x 1m of straight $89

This was all for 2.5" mandrel stainless

86xxx
14th November 2007, 12:11 PM
Stainless is not as efficient as Aluminium as far as flow is concerned. Buy a kit off Ebay, comes with heaps of bends, silicon joins and clamps, cut the piping and mark where is lines up and tape it with some '100 mile'n'hour' tape, have someone tack it up, check it fits and then have it welded properly. Keep silicon joints to a minimum, these affect flow pretty seriously too.

Jason
14th November 2007, 12:12 PM
wait... how dose the material of the pipe effect flow :blink: load of BS
if anything stainless would be better because it is thinner so you get less turbulence at the joins (silcon)

As in pm i went through ebay :P was about $12 per 90o

86xxx
14th November 2007, 12:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jason @ Nov 14 2007, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=436733)</div>
wait... how dose the material of the pipe effect flow :blink: load of BS
if anything stainless would be better because it is thinner so you get less turbulence at the joins (silcon)

As in pm i went through ebay :P was about $12 per 90o[/b]

I think it has more to do with the temp changes in the piping due to heat soak, thus altering the temp of the air and thus the rate at which it can travel. And the Aluminium used for IC piping is no thicker than the stainless, in fact it is the same (if you get decent ally).

Jason
14th November 2007, 01:15 PM
IIRC aluminum has much lower latent head than stainless so it would allow heat in faster, though both would eventually get to the same temp if the same heat is applied.

The temperature effects the density of the air.

So how strong is 2.5mm aluminum for the record? Ive got a little aluminum bend, but its fairly thick. How dose it compare?

edit:sorry under 2mm (around the 0.8-1.3mm mark) all, my strights are 2.5 bends i think are just over one i think. Though i don't think strength is that big of issue for intake piping :P