PDA

View Full Version : setting up adjustable lower traction rods/panhard rod

24 yr old Two door 86
17th November 2007, 06:11 AM
need to know what i need to set them at
traction rods adjust from 450mm to 520mm (Standard is 500mm)
panhard Rod adjusts from 760mm to 820mm (Standard is 800mm)
on a lowered car do i increase or decrease the length?
what angle should the diff be set at?

any help would be appreciated

rthy
17th November 2007, 09:27 AM
a good starting point is to set it to be the same as the original length in the car standard, so basicly put it next to a stock rod if you have one. That will get you started in knowing what angle you have and where the diff is facing before you make any changes

24 yr old Two door 86
17th November 2007, 01:48 PM
thanks sam .but what angle do i require? some one told me 4 degrees, does that sound right?

rthy
17th November 2007, 02:25 PM
this is something I have yet to experiment with, I will though given a bit of time.

I say start at 0 degree, adjust it either way and see what you feel. I cant remember but facing it one particular direction is meant to aid traction, sorry I cant be much more specific.

stefan
17th November 2007, 04:28 PM
pahnhard rod how low is your car? make wheels aligned

rear traction brackets move diff angle up good for grip

make diff angle point down better for drift

RobertoX
17th November 2007, 05:53 PM
is the point of these not to just adjust the diff such that the angle on the uni joint going to the diff is the same as on the one from the gearbox? Thus reducing tramp by making the wheels rotate at constant velocity (rather than having a sinusoid component)...

Traction brackets alter the anti-squat characteristics (like roll centre adjusters but in fore-aft rahter than laterally)...

Anyway my point is to adjust them so that the angle of both the uni joints are the same (you might need to tweak it to account for squat)

bahnugget
17th November 2007, 06:07 PM
you generally don't use LOWER trailing arms to adjust pinion angle, they're meant to have more effect on the wheelbase.. Generally upper trailing arms are shortened/lengthened to change your pinion angle.

Gilly
17th November 2007, 08:06 PM
I just setup 5 of these yesterday

get your stock trailing arms and stick the bolts through then simply adjust your arms until they slip over the bolts in your stock ones.

when you lower your car the pinion points down so as Greg said adjusting the top arms to be longer will correct this. you CAN shorten the lower arms to assist in obtaining proper pinion angle. its a similar principle to front LCA's when you lower your car the LCA sits flatter and you actually get a slight track increase, this happens at the rear as well the lower trailing arm sits flatter so effectively is longer slightly increasing your wheelbase.

i would be inclined and advise making equal adjustments to both upper and lower arms e.g if you adjust the upper arms longer by one rotation do the same to the lowers by making them shorter by one rotation. I also don't believe in pointing the pinion down further i have always been of the understanding 4 links are to be adjusted to "Correct" pinion angle not to further push it out of spec.

unfortunately i don't know any specific figures in regards to degree angles, i think its more of something you have a play with and see what works for you. I have been recommending the guys that are using our kits to leave the lengths stock as i set them and do a track day and see what they want to do from there, this is different in your case as our arms use rose joints and that in itself has a very noticeable effect on rear axle behaviour, which is why i advised they make no adjustments as yet.

in regards to the panhard rod, lowering your car pushes the diff over to the left hand side therefore you need to shorten the rod to centre the diff. i normally adjust it so both sides have equal tyre to gurad clearance. some argue you should make it shorter again so there is more gap on the lefthand side to make up for the movement under squat but really its not that much and i've attempted it before and found the right side would rub as the travel isn't as much as expected however dropping the car a few inches does make a noticable difference hence the reason why you need a adjustable rod

24 yr old Two door 86
18th November 2007, 11:51 AM
ok
thanks for the info
will fit and just play around with them in small degrees and see what works for me