PDA

View Full Version : Induction Boxes

acidreign
19th November 2007, 03:41 PM
hey all,

has anyone fabricated an induction box, or similar to enclose and direct flow, most probably to a pod filter on a RWD GE?
Something similar to this: "http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/4460_5317/products_id/5707"
similar to this, but not as an actual unit, more a hot air shield/flow directional box to a pod filter?

I know its a bit of jibber-jabber, but hope ya catch on to what i mean :)

cheers

acidreign
19th November 2007, 08:38 PM
well how about ANY induction tips n tricks then? put a smallport in and have no intake on the mannifold

parrot
19th November 2007, 09:20 PM
If you put 'cold air intake' into the search function, you will get some ideas.

wooley
19th November 2007, 09:21 PM
i used to have an ARC airbox.

cool piece of kit.

togue205 now has it. i think at some stage he wanted to make copies of it?

parrot
20th November 2007, 01:06 AM
Yeah I have one too. It is very nice, and has a bellmouth inside. Welding is a work of art. Problem is making sure you have the AE86 specific box, not the MR2 one, plus getting the right air filter. The box is a unusual filter size and ARC sourced filters are expensive. I ended up finding a SAAB K & N filter for it which I then located VERY cheap of US ebay. Less than a third of the cost of one here.

[attachment=18958:IM000483.JPG]

Gunner
20th November 2007, 02:55 PM
rx8 cold air feed, fibre filled heat foil, a few cable ties light and efficient, doesnt look great tho, but it works

acidreign
20th November 2007, 03:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Nov 20 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=439582)</div>
rx8 cold air feed, fibre filled heat foil, a few cable ties light and efficient, doesnt look great tho, but it works[/b]

Rx8 feed - ths an aftermarket or factory ietm? sounds alright but i just cant visualise it all together :)

Gunner
20th November 2007, 03:53 PM
factory one, bell mouth n all, i worked on one that'd been burnt so i ripped it and said it was damaged, spuin i let it go with the levin, but ive found usually the most basic systems work

unit101
20th November 2007, 07:48 PM
Quads for the win you tools. tHEN YOU DON'T NEED ONE. Ha ha

Gunner
20th November 2007, 07:50 PM
ohh quads make cold air sweet lol u tool, they still do well with a cold air feed

acidreign
20th November 2007, 10:03 PM
Well my mannifolds naked, so i gotta run some elbows and pod filter, i was just guna get elaborate and try make a good job of it, and fabricate a box, seeing as i hav to spend cash anyways. I found an Apexi kit on eBay for $220.... any other suggestions?

Gunner
20th November 2007, 10:12 PM
mate u got the money to spend go get what u want made up, as long as its big enough to hold a decent amount of cool air, it flows well, itll work.
and im sure if u go to a shop that does race car fab or similar sort off work, u can get a very well designed system, just comes down to money

acidreign
20th November 2007, 10:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Nov 20 2007, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=439838)</div>
just comes down to money[/b]

Tryin to spend minimal amounts, but if was worth it, id consider it. Is just an elbow and some piping my likely outcome here?
what about stock JDM GE intake?

Wanabe_Garage
21st November 2007, 02:43 AM
Use your imagination... get some PVC piping if you want to be cheap. but i dont think it's something you should be spending loads of money on. maybe just get some flexible insulation piping and redirect the air through your front grill and into your airbox/pod etc. It will work a treat

Javal
21st November 2007, 02:49 AM
You could probably use a Commodore airbox with a high flow panel in it.

It'll flow a hell of a lot better than a stock JDM box and cheap as chips :)

acidreign
21st November 2007, 05:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Javal @ Nov 21 2007, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=439996)</div>

It'll flow a hell of a lot better than a stock JDM box and cheap as chips :)[/b]

sounds like a good idea man, what model airbox u reccomend? and ill be honest, i dont know what a high flow panel is? is this a horizintal filter? but i like your thinking :)

Gunner
21st November 2007, 09:04 AM
yeahp just a panel filter, and mate the more simple it is the less to fuck up, see how much space u have to work with and make sure u can get a good amount of flow and ull be sweet

Javal
21st November 2007, 03:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (acidreign @ Nov 21 2007, 05:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=440002)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Javal @ Nov 21 2007, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=439996)

It'll flow a hell of a lot better than a stock JDM box and cheap as chips :)[/b]

sounds like a good idea man, what model airbox u reccomend? and ill be honest, i dont know what a high flow panel is? is this a horizintal filter? but i like your thinking :)
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, a panel style filter is just a flat filter element, used in about 80% of EFI cars.

You should look for an airbox from either a 3.8 V6 or 5.0 V8 EFI models, these will be very common and will have higher flow filters readily availible.

Go to a Pick-a-part of U-pull-it or similar self serve wrecker for best prices :)

HRV-00S
21st November 2007, 08:47 PM
All depends what you want and what you've got to work with.

I made a cheap cold air intake for my old ute out of some thin alloy sheet, small alloy angle and some rivets to hold it together. Wasn't the flashest thing in the world but it done the job of getting cold air where it needed to be.

It was a rush job for rego and could have been made a lot better.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/159301.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/159302.jpg

Was pretty easy but I had a fair amount of room to play with which is a luxury most don't have.

Cheer's Harvo

Gunner
21st November 2007, 09:29 PM
nice bay dude, perfect example of a cheap easy basic cold air set up