PDA

View Full Version : HELP! my car is squealing like a pig

Bonsai
22nd November 2007, 10:07 PM
My car is squealing an my boyfriend said it sounds like the altenator.
I just bought it today and want to drive it on the track on sunday but don't want to be driven nuts by the sound.
It's a big port 4age.
if it is the alternator what are my options? cheap alternatives like from a wrecker?
4afe?
sv21?

Lost Prophet
22nd November 2007, 10:14 PM
Just try checking all the belts are tight first. If the belt is slightly too lose it will squeal.

bahnugget
23rd November 2007, 08:27 AM
yep if they do turn out to be tight though, try spraying some belt dressing on the belts.. its available from super cheap and the like.

or you could just get a new alternator belt

Gunner
23rd November 2007, 09:21 AM
u sure theres not a pig stuck in ur wheel arch? chances of it bein the bearing in the alternator are pretty slim, change the belt

rthy
23rd November 2007, 10:07 AM
+1 for loose belt

Bustin_86
23rd November 2007, 10:19 AM
Must....resist...quoting...deliverance.

More details on when it squeals? Like under acceleration etc etc?

Sure its coming from the engine bay?

Try to tighten the belts as mentioned above. Takes all of 10 mins.

shinny
23rd November 2007, 10:39 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bustin_86 @ Nov 23 2007, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=441104)</div>
Must....resist...quoting...deliverance.

More details on when it squeals? Like under acceleration etc etc?

Sure its coming from the engine bay?

Try to tighten the belts as mentioned above. Takes all of 10 mins.[/b]

it happens when it warms up and at idle,

i'll be checking the belts but it doesn't sound like a traditional belt squeal

Bustin_86
23rd November 2007, 10:44 AM
Mmmmm.

Just hard to believe that it is actually IN the alternator. If it was the alternator it would be a metal on metal "shriek" so to speak.

Hard to say without being there.

Edit- You guys are in SA yeah? Trundle down to Dave's shop, he will be able to sort you with a explanation and a spare, for sure.

Gunner
23rd November 2007, 10:53 AM
either the belts loose and its slippin or its too tight and killed the bearings either way pretty fukin irritating, easy way to diag spray some wd on the belt, lube it up a touch, and if shes loose she stop squeelin

shinny
23rd November 2007, 12:05 PM
its a high pitched squeal,

it's not the alternator or belt,

when i pulled the cam covers off it didn't get any louder or quieter,

it's a constant high pitch at idle,

anyone had something like this able to point us in the right direction??

chapl
23rd November 2007, 12:23 PM
check your timing belt tensioner..

they tend to fuck out.

does the timing belt have wear marks?

Gunner
23rd November 2007, 12:23 PM
get a piece of hose, 8-12mm put it to your ear and hunt around till u find it, if that doesn't work take the acc, drive belts of 1 by 1 till u find it.
also check the tops of the belts for rub marks to see if they have been rubbing,
are u sure it is coming from the front of the motor, it could be a damaged component vibrating/rubbing against something. the fact that it is only at idle makes it hard to diagnose. tho with my ae111 i hit a pot hole goin pretty quik and it started to make a high pitch screech, turned out to be in the strut, replaced it it went away
thats all i can say without seein it, sorry.

rthy
23rd November 2007, 12:26 PM
record the sound, or take a video and check it on youtube lol

RobertoX
24th November 2007, 12:44 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
either the belts loose and its slippin or its too tight and killed the bearings either way pretty fukin irritating, easy way to diag spray some wd on the belt, lube it up a touch, and if shes loose she stop squeelin[/b]

worst suggestion ever... the belt is supposed to grip, not slip more... why not just tighten it up?

I had a problem with a real high pitched whine coming from the alternator at certain rpm. I got a reconditioned one and the problem went away (it was either bushes or bearings).

Gunner
24th November 2007, 09:39 AM
lol at robertoX, yeh mate cause ur a god lol, um its qik, dont have to actually touch any component u dont have to do any real work to diag it, fukin monkey ur an idiot, dont try and burn somone till ur sure ur a god next time k sweety

Gunner
24th November 2007, 09:43 AM
and as im a mechanic, and oddly enuf i work on cars for a living, my diag processes work.

deanoo
24th November 2007, 10:37 AM
check all the belt and also do u have a oil catch can???? if not u have probly connected the hose that goes from ur rocker cover to ur manafoild u have have done that start ur car and pull the hose off and see if that stops the noise

Bonsai
24th November 2007, 11:29 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Nov 23 2007, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=441070)</div>
u sure theres not a pig stuck in ur wheel arch? chances of it bein the bearing in the alternator are pretty slim, change the belt[/b]

hehehe checked for pigs, was kinda dissapointed when I didn't find one :(
craig_ae86 had a listen around with a stethascope and reckons its comming from near the clutch/ gearbox kind of area. I know i need a thrust baring (cos it makes an additional horrid noise every time i put the clutch in).
Would that be what is squealing?
And have I purchased a car or a farm?

Wanabe_Garage
24th November 2007, 11:35 AM
noises like this are the worst! You fix a noise and then you start hearing another one and another one, theres kinda no end to them.

especially if the car has stiff suspension. it tends to shake things a little loose

... thats my advice :huh:

Bobomacho
24th November 2007, 02:17 PM
a belt will actually tighten up as heats up.

take your belts off one by one and run the car each time to eliminate the cause, or you coudl just get a can of brake clean and give each belt a quick squirt in turn to make the noise go away,it will come back when it evaporates.

get a long 3/8 extension and use it as a stethoscope, will louden the vibration to your ear and you can pinpoint which ancillery it is, a tensioner, alt or whatever

have fun

SLO-030
24th November 2007, 03:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bonsai @ Nov 24 2007, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=441575)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Nov 23 2007, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=441070)
u sure theres not a pig stuck in ur wheel arch? chances of it bein the bearing in the alternator are pretty slim, change the belt[/b]

hehehe checked for pigs, was kinda dissapointed when I didn't find one :(
craig_ae86 had a listen around with a stethascope and reckons its comming from near the clutch/ gearbox kind of area. I know i need a thrust baring (cos it makes an additional horrid noise every time i put the clutch in).
Would that be what is squealing?
And have I purchased a car or a farm?
[/b][/quote]

Is deffently in the clutch area.... I could hear it as soon as it started doing behind the alternator and as you got closer you could hear it was from the back of the motor...

Was loudess on the front of the bell housing.... Died off the further away i got from the motor. I would say it is the spigot bearing in the back of the crank shaft as everyone forgets about replacing them when they do the clutch.

Its not a belt, alternator thing!!! I did the ol' WD40 on the belt trick

Gunner
24th November 2007, 03:20 PM
yeh u'll probably find the monkey that did the clutch last left the old spigot and throw out bearing, thats the horrid noise when u disengage the clutch(put the pedal in)

Gunner
24th November 2007, 03:22 PM
and im guessin the squeel stops almost instantly after engaging the clutch?

SLO-030
24th November 2007, 03:44 PM
Nah it doesnt stop whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged thats makes me thing its a spigot.

Gunner
24th November 2007, 05:48 PM
well the way i look at it, is if the car is moving, crank flywheel clutch spigot and input shaft are turnin as one unit, o thats whats got me buggered. all i can suggest is if it is definately coming from that area, take the box out and go over it check the input shaft bearing, the clutch, spigot, with out seein it i cnt say much more
but if u are sure thats where its comin from, get the box out and have a look.
does it change with rpm or load?

SLO-030
24th November 2007, 06:36 PM
Im sure its coming from that area . Im a mechanic too dude...

Bonsia has said her clutch is rooted so gearbos has to come out anyway... I didnt look any further i was too busy with other work going on

shinny
24th November 2007, 07:37 PM
BONSAI:

nah the noise doesnt change with load. it's constant. and when I switch the ignision off, the squeal stays for a second then sort of fades out. kind of like it's winding down or something.

bahnugget
25th November 2007, 02:50 PM
your box is in neutral at idle i'm guessing, the input shaft is spinning, and making a noise against the spigot bush.

what happens at idle if you put the clutch in?

Bonsai
25th November 2007, 07:08 PM
well the squeal is constant no matter what you do but there is an additional noise when i put the clutch in which I'm pretty sure is the thrust baring. but cant really pin point the squeal. it actually kinda sounds like a kettle wistle almost.

keto
25th November 2007, 07:38 PM
didnt whats his name (sorry i forgot :|) say you had a vacuum leak or something? i drifted in an out of the convo...

RobertoX
25th November 2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by gunbz-r
lol at robertoX, yeh mate cause ur a god lol, um its qik, dont have to actually touch any component u dont have to do any real work to diag it, fukin monkey ur an idiot, dont try and burn somone till ur sure ur a god next time k sweety

Yeah, sounds like a quick dodgy mechanic sort of thing to do eh 'sweety'? This is why I do my own work, because there are so many mechanics around who do stupid shit like spraying wd40 on a belt that is supposed to grip because they are too lazy to tighten it up (takes all of 5 minutes!).

If you want to spray something quick on to see if the noise goes away just use some "belt grip" (you can buy it in lots of auto places) then your belt wont be covered in oil that you will have to clean off. The thing about having an oily alternator belt is that it will prevent the alternator working when it is most needed (ie under higher electrical load) and the other thing is that you wont really know about it because the belt will slip without any sound.

That aditional noise when you put your clutch pedal in likely to be the spigot bearing as has been said, one should cost about $5 if that. It might also be worth changing the release bearing too.

Gunner
25th November 2007, 11:29 PM
lol, mate good on ya. doubt my work all u like. but if someone is at home no tools has a can wd and no money for somone to look at the car. by all means, use alternative methods to find the problem. and as for my work being dodgey, mate if im on the job, im there to make money why the fuck would i do a dodge send it out, for the customer to take it elsewhere, when i can diagnose the problem in the 5 mins get the job and make the money? anyway we're not gonna ruin this thread.

as for the car, i wouldn't rule out a vacuum leak, but its not your spigot, as this would stop when u start drivin.
throw out bearing, is dead u know that. someone is just gonna hav to spend the time to find it simple as that

shinny
26th November 2007, 06:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (keto @ Nov 25 2007, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=441984)</div>
didnt whats his name (sorry i forgot :|) say you had a vacuum leak or something? i drifted in an out of the convo...[/b]

yeah her friend steve looked at it,

he recons it might be because the intake manifold has been cut and shut, you're suppose to block off the pcv hose at the manifold and have the hose from the rocker cover going to a catch can, also need to block the vacuum hole at the throttle body.

maybe i'll try sorting that out for her and see what happens....

Gunner
26th November 2007, 08:34 PM
sounds like a plan to me

li21
18th May 2008, 12:08 AM
I have this problem too!
I was driving home 3 nights ago night and heard a clunk.. then squealing ... no idea what that was

Ever since that night:
Starting the car -> idle : Squeals for about 30secs to 1 minute after starting

Now I find it even does it when I down shift.. about 2-5 seconds of squeal when I downshift.

Is my problem anything like you guys?