PDA

View Full Version : Another What oil should I use? Thread

PuGZoR
10th December 2007, 12:51 PM
Hey guys.

Yes, I've searched, but new products come out, etc, and different brands get better, some get worse. Also, it's to suit my particular needs which are probably unique. *shrugs*

Going to be running an AE101 4AGZE block and head (56000km's on them) with a brand new KKR turbo (bush bearing I'm presuming). Not looking at crazy amounts of boost, probably in the vicinity of 7psi to 12psi. Don't intend on pushing the engine too hard, redline will probably be around 7100rpm (factory right?). Hasn't been rebuilt or anything, only a new metal headgasket with ARP headstuds.

Also need a recommendation of what oil to run in my W58.

Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope....

Wait, this isn't Star Wars.

Yeah, so if anyone can help me, mucho appreciato.

Fozz
10th December 2007, 01:15 PM
HPR 20w - 60 thats what i use in my bigport

or if u like expensive oils u could use that penrite sin

RobertoX
10th December 2007, 01:26 PM
HPR15 semi synth

penrite

riojin
10th December 2007, 03:07 PM
since its already run in id put good stuff in it. im not a cheapskate when it comes to oils.

id drop some penrite sin 10 fully synthectic in. should cost you about $55 for 4L - what im going to use in my gze in the next oil change (current is castrol gtx3 from the previous owner).

if youre going to be thrashing it all day everyday id put sin 5 in. if youre going to not rev it very high for prolonged periods of time sin 15 is the go.

so

thrash - SIN 5
average - SIN 10
baby SIN 15

(y)

deleta
10th December 2007, 03:40 PM
that royal purple stuff is good too expensive as fuck tho

PuGZoR
10th December 2007, 03:50 PM
Looks like Sin 5 might be the go-er, hah.

riojin
10th December 2007, 04:31 PM
royal purple is good, but penrite SIN is better and cheaper

ae71neo
10th December 2007, 04:32 PM
I now use SIN 5.

Gunner
10th December 2007, 09:19 PM
hpr 30 from penrite is a good turbo oil

riojin
10th December 2007, 09:45 PM
i wouldn't even put hpr 30 in a tired 4ac......

maxhag
10th December 2007, 10:29 PM
Royal purple is definatly the best performance oil out there. I always use it on my sprinter, nothing else.
A test was done of all the top oils a couple of years, and Royal Purple was the best by far!

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

It may cost $90 for 5L, but worth every penny.
The oil is the lifeblood of your engine, So i dont mind paying $90 every 2 months......

Gunner
10th December 2007, 10:37 PM
i hope u thrash the ass out of it to justify that

maxhag
11th December 2007, 12:26 AM
It is a 4AGTE, and its my pride and joy. And i dont drift it.

much...... :lol:

I can sell you my 2 month old oil if you want it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Konakid
11th December 2007, 12:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maxhag @ Dec 10 2007, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=450124)</div>
It is a 4AGTE, and its my pride and joy. And i dont drift it.

much...... :lol:

I can sell you my 2 month old oil if you want it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/b]

it'd probably give better protection than new oil from those brands that failed that street commodores oil test...

Penrite on Royal Purple ftw.

Nikkojoe
11th December 2007, 12:37 AM
Valvoline Durablend rated fairly well against most other oils in that test, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

jjoeworks
11th December 2007, 07:57 PM
My wife has an IS200 that has been running on Mobil 1 from new. I have a good friend that is a Castrol rep. and enquired about a similar oil in their range or any other brand that is as good/cheaper. This guy lives and breathes oils and knows almost all there is to know technically about oils. He said" honestly Mobil 1 is the benchmarkc for all synthetic oils. Has been for 20 years - stick with it". I use it in my Landcruiser also and will be using it in my AE86 NA when it is complete(and run in). Food for thought.

Gunner
11th December 2007, 11:18 PM
mobil 1 sux, no offence but all synthetices do, just my opinion, seen to many failures with synthetics, goin for extremes, penrite ten tenths if u can find it, use it in all the race cars i have ever worked on never failed me once, thats usin dry sumps, methanol, c16, martini, and usually over 400hp atw and usually a wrx, and we all kno they like blowin up

Johnny_K
11th December 2007, 11:39 PM
When my motors up and running im planning to use this oil we have work that we use on alfa romeos, 10W-60 Selenia Racing oil

lowau
12th December 2007, 12:16 PM
If you change your oil every couple of months don't bother with really expensive oils, just get some semi decent oil and use that.

The full synthetics are only created not to break down quickly and last the full 10-15,000 kms between factory services. Just put some semi syn or full mineral in if you plan to change it at 5K or less.

Matt-AE86
12th December 2007, 12:29 PM
All oils are shit. I only get the best from dewsons, Black and Gold Motor Oil and a touch of Peanut/Vegi Oil for flavour/smell. Its great when you touch 7000rpm in your 4age and you can smell the beauty of sausages and chips or watever peanut/vegi oil is good for.

biggo
12th December 2007, 01:32 PM
yep what he said ^^^

to quote mublezzz

vege oil in the motor
peanut oil in the box
baby oil in the diff

btw gunbr-z ten tenths is a diff oil. and yes its synthetic

PuGZoR
12th December 2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah.... I'm pretty sure when the 4K is on it's last legs in my girlfriends' KE38 I'm going to go driving around the block with some extra virgin (unlike my girlfriend) Olive Oil in the engine to see how long it lasts. Knowing my luck, I'll go through a few tanks before it dies. Hopefully not.

I'll give Sin 5 a try and see how things go. I do intend on doing regular changes because I'll be thrashing the piss out of it, but yeah, considering I am running a turbo (cheap one at that) I want to use something that'll lube that up as best it can at a bare minimum. Or I might just run shit oil, blow up the turbo, and just might have to replace it with a nice shiny Garrett.

maxhag
12th December 2007, 10:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PuGZoR @ Dec 12 2007, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=451056)</div>
Yeah.... I'm pretty sure when the 4K is on it's last legs in my girlfriends' KE38 I'm going to go driving around the block with some extra virgin (unlike my girlfriend) Olive Oil in the engine to see how long it lasts. Knowing my luck, I'll go through a few tanks before it dies. Hopefully not.[/b]

My Guess, is that the olive oil wont actually work at all like oil should. It will just burn up (very smokey exhaust) and the engine will seize. My prediction is that it would run for less than 2 mins......

Anyone else?

J Riftin

PuGZoR
13th December 2007, 04:09 PM
Just got me 5L of Sin 5 @ $72.00 from Autobarn Mt Gravatt. Noticed while I was there that they do have a large range of Royal Purple products in stock too. Was kind of tempted to spend the extra $8 for their 5L of "High Performance" league stuff, however, I didn't know which grade to get. The Sin 5 is a 5W-50 (I think) while in Royal Purple you can only get 5W-20, 10W-30 and 20W-40. So just to be safe this time I went for the Penrite, but if someone can fill me in to what Royal Purple would be best for my engine, might try that next time...

maxhag
13th December 2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah, you can get Royal Purple 10W-50W. thats what I use......

riojin
14th December 2007, 02:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PuGZoR @ Dec 13 2007, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=451730)</div>
Just got me 5L of Sin 5 @ $72.00 from Autobarn Mt Gravatt. Noticed while I was there that they do have a large range of Royal Purple products in stock too. Was kind of tempted to spend the extra $8 for their 5L of "High Performance" league stuff, however, I didn't know which grade to get. The Sin 5 is a 5W-50 (I think) while in Royal Purple you can only get 5W-20, 10W-30 and 20W-40. So just to be safe this time I went for the Penrite, but if someone can fill me in to what Royal Purple would be best for my engine, might try that next time...[/b]

you would use the royal purple 10W-30 in your engine but the penrite sin 5 would out perform it. the royal purple 5W-20 i would only use in an ultra-high compression NA engine that gets the tits revved outta it and you change oils every race, rebuild every 10,000km.

Dom86
14th December 2007, 03:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt-AE86 @ Dec 12 2007, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=450972)</div>
All oils are shit. I only get the best from dewsons, Black and Gold Motor Oil and a touch of Peanut/Vegi Oil for flavour/smell. Its great when you touch 7000rpm in your 4age and you can smell the beauty of sausages and chips or watever peanut/vegi oil is good for.[/b]

:lol: :lol:

all year ive been running a gze on castrol full sinthetic. $70 for 5L. im happy with it. :2thumbs:

but for the best results use the above combo... you can eat and drive without taking your hand off the wheel.. :P

letsgohunting
14th December 2007, 03:07 PM
I use motul 8800 5w-40 full synthetic in my rb20det laurel. Motul know their stuff, been using their oils in my motocross bikes for years and thats a single cylinder 4 stroke revving at 15000rpm.... thrashed the crap out of it and the motul kept on going. If it lasts that, it can last my car.

More important than the type of oil (as long as its good quality) is the frequency you change it. I change mine probably every 3000-5000kms