PDA

View Full Version : gze and boost guage

riojin
10th December 2007, 06:34 PM
<strike>it is possible to put a blow off valve on a supercharged gze?

ive noticed that when changing gears that my cars usually revs 1000+rpm higher than when i wanted to change it (eg. change at 3000rpm and it revs to 4000rpm when i push my clutch in).

is there anything i can do to stop this?</strike>

new question

i do have a boost guage. it reads in the INHG zone for the vaccum when idle. 1 PSI = 0.49 INHG approx. it reads at 22 INHG at idle which is about 11 PSI. when i rev the engine it goes up progressively and when im about to shift at 6000rpm its usually in the PSI zone at 3 PSI. i dont think its reading correctly because i feel the boost even at low revs.

im currently after an omori boost guage as a replacement (im a perfectionist and want all my guages black with green lighting...) which reads in Bar. i understand Bar measurements 15 PSI = 1 Bar approx so ill give new readings after that

roadsailing
10th December 2007, 06:41 PM
sort answer, no but it sounds like something isnt right with your system.

ke70dave
10th December 2007, 06:42 PM
i hate to say the obvious, but best to check, are you leaving your foot on the accelerator too long?!

as for blow off valve, i didnt think you needed it since the supercharger doesn't continue to spool, as the revs drop, so does the boost, therefore no need to release pressure?

also do they come stock on gze? if not then you prolly dont need it!

i could be talking non-sense though!

Jason
10th December 2007, 06:49 PM
Yes they do come stock. Remember the throttle is before the charger, so it is going to suck in air...

riojin
10th December 2007, 06:53 PM
doesnt come stock on a gze - as far as i know, but jason says otherwise

ive got an aftermarket pully kit on my engine as the only mod.

as with leaving my foot on the throttle for too long it may be a possibility but when i dont even push my clutch in it still continues to rev for a little bit and then drops after i release the throttle pedal

Jason
10th December 2007, 07:23 PM
There is a by-pass-valve. Im sure they came on all models of gze.

riojin
10th December 2007, 07:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jason @ Dec 10 2007, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=449904)</div>
There is a by-pass-valve. Im sure they came on all models of gze.[/b]

maybe this by-pass-valve is playing up then

Nikkojoe
10th December 2007, 08:29 PM
The bypass valve is called ABV. If you want to run more boost, you have to block the abv/keep the abv shut (otherwise it bleeds the boost to factory levels).

My gze does the same thing when changing gears, ive modded the abv so i can run more boost. (not a problem and quite normal).

HiroshiFumi
10th December 2007, 08:52 PM
Just wondering how you mod the ABV, Nikkojoe?

Will I be able to take the whole ABV off and plate it off? Is it wise to do :unsure:

Nikkojoe
10th December 2007, 09:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HiroShiFumi @ Dec 10 2007, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=449948)</div>
Just wondering how you mod the ABV, Nikkojoe?

Will I be able to take the whole ABV off and plate it off? Is it wise to do :unsure:[/b]

There are guides on the net which show you how to mod it.

There are 2 parts to the abv (one a blue vsv and another brown/red vsv - brown/red can be removed and plated). Remove the blue vsv, and run the vac line from the brown/red vsv to a boosted line (ie the map sensor line which comes from the intake manifold).

Gunner
10th December 2007, 09:15 PM
bovs work just not well, and theres no point

Gunner
10th December 2007, 09:15 PM
its a double

riojin
10th December 2007, 09:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nikkojoe @ Dec 10 2007, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=449932)</div>
The bypass valve is called ABV. If you want to run more boost, you have to block the abv/keep the abv shut (otherwise it bleeds the boost to factory levels).

My gze does the same thing when changing gears, ive modded the abv so i can run more boost. (not a problem and quite normal).[/b]

well i would be guessing that i would have a modded ABV seeing i am running more than the standard boost.

good to hear that it isnt anything wrong

squish
10th December 2007, 11:23 PM
block up t/b vac line that goes to the blue VSV. take the vac line on the other side of the blue VSV that goes to the abv and T piece it into a pressurised line (where you would put a boost gauge).

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/821960/abv_pic.jpg
had to upload the pic -.-

verm69
10th December 2007, 11:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riojin @ Dec 10 2007, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=450000)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nikkojoe @ Dec 10 2007, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=449932)

My gze does the same thing when changing gears, ive modded the abv so i can run more boost. (not a problem and quite normal).[/b]

well i would be guessing that i would have a modded ABV seeing i am running more than the standard boost.

good to hear that it isnt anything wrong
[/b][/quote]

just to make it clear... you have a boost gauge? are you sure your actually running more boost and it's not being vented?

there's no real point in running a BOV with a SC... and it's a pretty big/tricky process to put the throttle body after the SC just so you can run a BOV

squish
11th December 2007, 11:26 AM
btw theres a guy on toymods with an aw11 that has moved the t/b after the charger. it had a lot of custom work i believe

Jason
11th December 2007, 11:38 AM
I have done it, all that need to be done now it the throttle links. Im running one before and one after. However im also using a bigport manifold.

Also have you consider how god awfull it would sound (TB after changer) with a BOV, some one put a BOV on a chager setup on a 4k, he said it sounded like a generator.

DavisJD
11th December 2007, 08:11 PM
Riojin, the rev gain when u change gears is an occurrence again of your front mount cooler. It has the same remedies as fixing your hunting idle.

Its not to hard to shift gears, as if it doesnt even do it, just takes practice, its all in the timing!

Theres a few discussions on here about GZE BOV's. Bassically you can make it work, someone did it by playing around with spring pressures in the BOV, not really worth it though. You get over the flutters pretty quickly.

callum1
11th December 2007, 08:22 PM
what i got when i asked about it...<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
hey man, i was looking at the pics of your engine and was wondering how the BOV went with the supercharger, is it actually useful or just make the cool noise (if a noise at all). i was thinking of doin this to mine.[/b]

Hey, it's makes alot of noise. I'd rather not have it, but I have to because the throtal body is after the supercharger. If it wasn't there, when I back off all the air would have no where to go, and the chager would still be trying to push 12psi of air through the throtal body. The charger stays on for 5 seconds after you back off, and the engine is still spining, so pumping the same amount of air.

If you just have a standard setup, it won't make any noise, but you can make a few hp changing to a setup like mine. On my old engine, I made 125Wk at the wheels with a standard 16V and the same throtal setup.

If you want any more info, or pictures of any thing, just let me know :)

riojin
12th December 2007, 07:20 PM
im not interested in BOV's because of the flutter, if i was id just do it the easy way and go turbo.

i guess its just one of those happenings with a gze conversion.

riojin
12th December 2007, 08:45 PM
i do have a boost guage. it reads in the INHG zone for the vaccum when idle. 1 PSI = 0.49 INHG approx. it reads at 22 INHG at idle which is about 11 PSI. when i rev the engine it goes up progressively and when im about to shift at 6000rpm its usually in the PSI zone at 3 PSI. i dont think its reading correctly because i feel the boost even at low revs.

im currently after an omori boost guage as a replacement (im a perfectionist and want all my guages black with green lighting...) which reads in Bar and has no vaccum readings.

Nikkojoe
12th December 2007, 08:49 PM
Where is the boost line tapped into?

riojin
12th December 2007, 09:10 PM
i dont know. i know where the connection is but i have absolutely no idea what part of the engine it is.

heres a pic
[attachment=19647:S5000342.jpg]

Nikkojoe
12th December 2007, 11:18 PM
If the green thing is your map sensor (next to yellow writing at the top of pic), then it looks to be hooked up correctly.

Lol, yours looks like a big mess hahaha (my gze seems soo simple).

riojin
13th December 2007, 04:33 PM
well if its hooked up correctly then it must just be the gauge (or maybe my charge just isnt working....)

Tom86
13th December 2007, 04:55 PM
had a drive just then to check out the gauge. it went up to 4psi. that seems a little low seeing its supposed to be at 8psi@4000rpm at stock.

hmmmm not very happy. im hoping its just the gauge and not the charge thats faulty